Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

tiaz posted:

is Actual Putin taller or shorter than Ben Shapiro?

AFAIK Ben is the shortest observable object in the universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

zone posted:

the town's known for hot springs/medicinal springs. Balneology is the scientific study of such springs.

Got it, thanks! First exposure to that word

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I mean a nazi mercenary graveyard is all but guaranteed to result in cursed hot springs, I'm glad development planners are starting to take these issues seriously

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
come on down to big suka sukhoi's blyat springs resort

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Enjoy

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1637153666720227391

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Terrorist Strelkov again on point.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Mokotow posted:

AFAIK Ben is the shortest observable object in the universe

You know, I always find it a strange when people chose to mock Ben Shapiro or any other dude for the one thing he just is, no fault of his, instead of all the things he chose to be.

I'm short as well, but I chose not to be an insufferably smug dork or an imperialist dictator.

Jasper Tin Neck fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 18, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah it's not really cool but I get it. It's because it's hypocritical for him to hold such lofty ideals for masculinity while simultaneously being what is considered 'not tall enough' to fit into the very same expectations of American masculinity that he champions. It's applying his same toxic masculinity to him, but a lot of people lose the thread for lol short jokes.

Ultimately it's about him being a hypocrite

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 18, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1637158189576732674

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

You know, I always find it a strange when people chose to mock Ben Shapiro or anyone other dude for the one thing he just is, no fault of his, instead of all the things he chose to be.

I'm short as well, but I chose not to be an insufferably smug dork or an imperialist dictator.

It's not the fact of his being short, but more his being really weird about it - insisting it isn't really the case, like Putin with the weird shoes and carefully curating who's nearby in images he is in. That also makes it comparatively benign to bring up because it's "possesses an understandable and kind of funny foible" more than "chose to support harmful ideologies and demonize vulnerable groups" which carries a very different tone. Also what StrangersInTheNight said about it running contrary to beliefs he claims to have for money.

The things he chose to be are definitely worse than a bit of napoleon complex. If he didn't worry about it so much I don't think anyone would be bringing it up.

do we have any reliable numbers showing that the rate of industrial accidents has spiked in Russia? I imagine they have, but by how much?

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Aeroflot having problems. Engine failed on a 767, may have gone three years without an inspection.

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1636657074548404224

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

You know, I always find it a strange when people chose to mock Ben Shapiro or anyone other dude for the one thing he just is, no fault of his, instead of all the things he chose to be.

Yeah, noted. Didn’t think about it, sorry.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

tiaz posted:

It's not the fact of his being short, but more his being really weird about it - insisting it isn't really the case, like Putin with the weird shoes and carefully curating who's nearby in images he is in. That also makes it comparatively benign to bring up because it's "possesses an understandable and kind of funny foible" more than "chose to support harmful ideologies and demonize vulnerable groups" which carries a very different tone. Also what StrangersInTheNight said about it running contrary to beliefs he claims to have for money.

The things he chose to be are definitely worse than a bit of napoleon complex. If he didn't worry about it so much I don't think anyone would be bringing it up.

do we have any reliable numbers showing that the rate of industrial accidents has spiked in Russia? I imagine they have, but by how much?

Actually I'm not sure if someone even made a comparative assessment of it until now. The known list on Wikipedia since 2022 had ~95 such strange arsons in total. Maybe somewhere around 10-15 more not recorded.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Pekinduck posted:

Aeroflot having problems. Engine failed on a 767, may have gone three years without an inspection.

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1636657074548404224

Somehow I doubt the lack of new parts over the last year due to sanctions is the reason nobody bothered to inspect an engine for the last 3 years.

Somehow I am also skeptical that restriction of access to Boeing's repair database caused them to just not inspect an engine for 3 years. It's like Carfax going down and claiming that's why you stopped changing your oil or doing routine inspections for a few years/3x the recommended miles.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 18, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Ukrainians are jury rigging dildrone bombs and it's hilarious

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1637158865165795328
Senseless waste of life. Go home Russia, there's nothing for you here.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Feel like if Ukraine can just hold out a bit longer in Bakhmut they'll break Wagner

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The problem is that if they break Wagner, it's because the regular army has taken over their recruitment pool... It's a game of whack a mole

zone
Dec 6, 2016

steinrokkan posted:

The problem is that if they break Wagner, it's because the regular army has taken over their recruitment pool... It's a game of whack a mole

The mobiks under the regular army fare less well than those who were under Wagner because their commanders and trainers are much more incompetent. The reports from up Vuhledar way already had a scathing assessment of the penal battalions sent there.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

I'll take a combat ineffective Wagner and a better equipped Russian regular army over a well equipped Wagner force and the barely geared mobiks we currently see. Wagner still has a core of competent fighters with experience and proper gear with proper support. The same doesn't exist for the majority of mobiks and even if they had what Wagner has, spreading it out among the entire RuAF would still lead to a less equipped overall force due to dilution

Simply put, Prigozhin's Wagnerites are the best fighting force Russia has available (which is saying a lot on its own)

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 18, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1637175145801437186

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why do people keep making these lame-rear end comments about pundits "confirming" things that Putin himself said a year ago?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
lotta smalldickenergy is all I hear

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1637170471144759298

What the gently caress did I watch...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
I don't think I'm gonna watch that before right before bed time!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why do people keep making these lame-rear end comments about pundits "confirming" things that Putin himself said a year ago?

That didn't seem to reach everyone. Though I doubt this will.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

the Muscovite Circus coming up with new circus acts almost daily....

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Tai posted:

What the gently caress did I watch...

Missing a few frames right in the middle of a guy stealing a toilet.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

DiomedesGodshill posted:

I said it once and I'll say it again. I've been dancing for a LONG time and she is fantastic while he is a spaz. Not sure what lead Seagal to go all in on Russia. So weird.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

he meant as in spastic, seth, you loving retard lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Something Awful Discussion > if the british posters get to say the c word how come we can't say the s word
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 96 97 98 Last post

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1637199144363126784

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1637201440295772161

Happens around 0:35

https://twitter.com/clashreport/status/1637023091367768065

What a nice wizard robe

https://twitter.com/ne_vluchiv/status/1637170685972819968

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

That DICK! posted:

Might wanna edit out the r

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Wait, Girkin hasn't really criticised Putin directly before has he... and this seems quite harsh as well?

How the hell is he still alive? I mean I get it if all he's doing is criticising Shoigu, Prigozhin etc; but this? :psyduck:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Personally I think Putin should take up residence and fortress Crimea and run the entire army from there with himself as the commander.

To boost troop morale

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Have you seen our face masks, Hans?

Its just... they've got skulls on them.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

jaete posted:

Wait, Girkin hasn't really criticised Putin directly before has he... and this seems quite harsh as well?

How the hell is he still alive? I mean I get it if all he's doing is criticising Shoigu, Prigozhin etc; but this? :psyduck:

He criticizes Putin occasionally, but he doesn't tend to go as hard at Putin as he does at everyone else. Girkin is the mouthpiece of the FSB and the FSB is mostly on Putin's side, with him having been a KGB man

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Have russia and/or USSR hosed up this badly before hand? Assuming they get to keep Donbass/Crimea. I can't think of an event with so many bad outcomes.

Donbass is flattened and what made it appealing has been destroyed.
Ukraine will never again trust russia
Ukraine will get rearmed on speed dial
Ukraine ends up joining EU in the future. Maybe NATO in 15 years
Some what fractured NATO is rearming and countries are closer than they have been for years.
Sweden/Finland joining NATO
Their soft power is gone
Resorce revenue from Europe is permanently gone
A big brain drain of the country that most won't return
Distrust or suspicion of russia for at least a decade
China will likely feel that russia is not as strong as they are and just ignore them when it suits them
Ex-USSR countries are wiping their hands
Rebuilding Donbas and their army while under sanctions is going to be long, slow and expensive
Economy basically dependant on the whims of 2 countries (India and China) and some smaller ones.
Lots of hatred towards non russians whipped up domestically from lies and bullshit on TV
Putin has a warrant (lol)

I'm sure more could be added to the list but dam. What a gently caress up

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Tai posted:

Have russia and/or USSR hosed up this badly before hand? Assuming they get to keep Donbass/Crimea. I can't think of an event with so many bad outcomes.

Donbass is flattened and what made it appealing has been destroyed.
Ukraine will never again trust russia
Ukraine will get rearmed on speed dial
Ukraine ends up joining EU in the future. Maybe NATO in 15 years
Some what fractured NATO is rearming and countries are closer than they have been for years.
Sweden/Finland joining NATO
Their soft power is gone
Resorce revenue from Europe is permanently gone
A big brain drain of the country that most won't return
Distrust or suspicion of russia for at least a decade
China will likely feel that russia is not as strong as they are and just ignore them when it suits them
Ex-USSR countries are wiping their hands
Rebuilding Donbas and their army while under sanctions is going to be long, slow and expensive
Economy basically dependant on the whims of 2 countries (India and China) and some smaller ones.
Lots of hatred towards non russians whipped up domestically from lies and bullshit on TV
Putin has a warrant (lol)

I'm sure more could be added to the list but dam. What a gently caress up

Afghanistan was one of the biggest factors that directly led to the collapse of the USSR so I'd say that ranks up there

Okay the thread rules say no NAFO memes but they didn't say no articles about NAFO and the impact its had on the war so i'm gonna :justpost:

https://www.politico.eu/article/nafo-doge-shiba-russia-putin-ukraine-twitter-trolling-social-media-meme/

Politico posted:

Ivana Stradner opened her iPhone and typed a simple call-to-arms: Unleash the hounds.

A Washington think-tanker and an expert in Russian propaganda, Stradner is also a member of NAFO — or the North Atlantic Fellas Organization — an informal alliance of internet culture warriors, national security experts and ordinary Twitter users weaponizing memes, viral videos and, yes, dog photos to push back against Russian online disinformation.

“I see myself as a NAFO civilian propagandist,” said Stradner, an adviser to the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, a conservative think tank. “Until now, Russia has been the only ones willing to play a dirty game.” By posting on Twitter, she was letting her 26,000 followers know who they could turn to if they needed to deal with an infestation of “Vatniks” — a Russian pejorative for Kremlin sympathizers.

The group — which includes ordinary foot soldiers like Stradner, as well as political heavyweights like U.S. Congressman Adam Kinzinger, former Estonian President Toomas Hendrik Ilves and, as of this week, Ukraine’s Defense Minister Oleksii Reznikov — uses as its weapon of choice a badly-drawn image of Shiba Inu, the Japanese dog breed that became an internet sensation a decade ago and is referred to as a “doge” in internet culture.

NAFO “fellas,” as they prefer to be called, emblazon their Twitter accounts with the Shiba Inu avatar. They overlay the image on TikTok-style videos of Ukrainian troops set to dance music soundtracks. They pile onto Russian propaganda via coordinated social media attacks that rely on humor — it’s hard to take a badly-drawn dog meme seriously — to poke fun at the Kremlin and undermine its online messaging.

Whenever a NAFO fellas spots a Russian official or sympathizer posting a pro-Kremlin take on Twitter, for instance, they can use the hashtag #Article5 — a nod to the part of the NATO treaty that calls for collective defense — to bombard these accounts with support for Ukraine. They’ve also flooded Twitter with viral memes attacking Russian President Vladimir Putin and videos mocking the Kremlin’s war effort. On an average day, there are now more than 5,000 Twitter posts linked to NAFO versus a mere handful in May, according to an analysis shared with POLITICO by the Institute for Strategic Dialogue, a think tank that tracks online activity.

The coordinated poo poo-posting is ultimately deployed in the service of Kyiv’s war effort. NAFO started in late May as an online fundraising tool for Ukrainian troops. Anyone who donates money via PayPal (NAFO never touches the actual cash) to groups like the Georgian Legion, a military unit created soon after Russia invaded Crimea in 2014, can ask the group for their own doge avatar.

“This is something we’ve just never ever seen before,” said Emma Salisbury, a doctoral candidate at Birkbeck, University of London, who studies Western military tactics. “This organization just emerged from what has been a very in-depth, but very niche, part of the internet.”

Salisbury is now deciding what type of Shiba Inu avatar she wants before donating. Her preferred choice: “Warrior goddess,” she said.

To delve into NAFO is to get a crash course in how online communities from the Islamic State to the far-right boogaloo movement to this rag-tag band of online warriors have weaponized internet culture.

With the rise of social media, would-be political groups have sought to harness cultural iconography once reserved for internet chatrooms in pursuit of recruits, attention and impact. Jihadists produce slick YouTube clips depicting fighting in the Middle East. Western extremists use the “Pepe the Frog” meme to punctuate their online messaging.

For NAFO, it’s the humble Shiba Inu avatar — a goofy-looking dog breed popularized by Tesla’s chief executive and would-be online troll Elon Musk and his support of Dogecoin, the cryptocurrency.

As the community has grown, its members started to copy online tactics straight out of the Kremlin’s disinformation playbook, sprinkling in a heavy dose of internet culture and humor to undermine Russian propaganda.

The work is obviously appreciated. On Tuesday, Ukraine’s defense minister Reznikov tweeted a “personal salute to #NAFOfellas” and changed his profile pic to a bespoke doge avatar dressed in a suit, carrying a Ukrainian shield and standing in front of a bombed-out bridge.

“I’d like to thank each person behind Shiba Inu cartoon. Your donations to support our defenders, your fight VS misinformation is valuable,” Reznikov wrote. “NAFO expansion is non-negotiatiable!”

For Jamie Cohen, an internet culture expert at City University of New York, NAFO has tapped into the social media culture becoming part of people’s everyday lives. Where Russia’s propaganda remains tightly-controlled via Kremlin-backed media, this group won people over because anyone can join, its focus is on humor and it gives people a positive way to show their support for Ukraine.

“This is an actual tactical event against a nation state,” he said. “They have a very specific tactic. It’s very simple to do, and they have a mascot.”

Russian influencers have struggled to respond to the badly-drawn Shiba Inu memes, YouTube-style viral videos and the power of ordinary social media users debunking Kremlin talking points. Even answering a Twitter account whose avatar is a “doge” can make a Russian diplomat look foolish. In essence, NAFO can swim in online waters that governments would struggle to enter.

Five Western national security officials, almost all of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly, welcomed the rise of such pro-Ukrainian internet warriors. Unlike the usually colorless official efforts at dispelling Kremlin’s falsehoods, NAFO has tapped into wide public anger against Russia via popular culture references and laughter, they added.

“Employing humor to counter disinformation is a brilliant strategy,” said Jakub Kalenský, a senior analyst at the European Center of Excellence for Countering Hybrid Threats, a joint initiative between NATO countries and the European Union. “One inspiration we should take is that it is possible to fight back. It is really possible to do something — so stop being lazy and trying to look for excuses.”

One Russian official who tangled with NAFO is Mikhail Ulyanov, Moscow’s ambassador to international organizations in Vienna and a well-known peddler of Kremlin propaganda via his 30,000 Twitter followers.

Since the Kremlin ramped up its assault in February, the Russian diplomat has accused the United States of creating a “ministry of truth,” berated social media users for peddling “fake news” and claimed Russia only invaded Ukraine in response to Kyiv’s aggression. That last declaration caught NAFO’s attention.

When someone from the movement accused Ulyanov of rewriting history, the Russian responded with a line he would later regret: “You pronounced this nonsense. Not me.” After more fellas piled on, his message became a meme, quickly emblazoned on NAFO mugs and T-shirts. Ulyanov first accused his Twitter critics of being bots, and then took himself offline for a week after NAFO fellas bombarded his social media account. He later said the social media detox was because he was on vacation.

“This is a group that has done something. It’s a social media force against Russian propagandists,” said Benjamin Tallis, a senior fellow at the German Council on Foreign Relations, a think tank in Berlin, who secured his own “doge” avatar after donating to Ukrainian causes. “They were able to take Ulyanov offline in a week.”

Matthew, an ex-U.S. marine who goes by the Twitter handle @iAmTheWarax and is one of the leading NAFO accounts, is surprised how far the movement has come since he and other early-adopters began posting “doge” memes early into Putin’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine. He helps out by running the online forum used to coordinate avatar requests but tries to keep his involvement separate from his offline life (and declined to give his last name for security reasons).

“I thought it was really funny, just the pictures of the little dogs, but also the way that it was used to poo poo on Russian government officials,” he said. “One of the funniest things about the fella character is that if you’re tweeting at one of these Russian government accounts or sycophants and they respond, now they’re engaging with a cartoon dog.”

As alleged Russian interference remains a bogeyman ahead of a spate of Western elections between now and 2024, the American military veteran says NAFO is a reminder that Moscow isn’t the disinformation juggernaut many believe it is. If the Kremlin can’t handle an unorganized mob of “doge” social media accounts, he adds, how can its propaganda machine be taken seriously?

The 27-year-old Pole (whose last name POLITICO is not disclosing for security reasons) gets up at 5 a.m., opens his Twitter account and gets to work on creating Shiba Inu avatars, selling NAFO merchandise — everything from doge-inspired T-shirts and mugs to hoodies and badges — and coordinating an online movement that he started by accident.

“I never expected to be where I am today,” he said after posting the first NAFO tweet in late May as part of a fundraising effort for the Georgian Legion. He started peppering Twitter with doge memes, splicing them into war footage to mock Russia’s military and praise Ukraine’s soldiers. When others started donating, too, they began messaging him on the social media platform with requests for their own Shiba Inu avatar.

“Slowly but surely they started piling up,” added Kamil, who has made at least 500 avatars over the last four months with little-to-no artistic training. “The last thing that I had drawn was when I was 15 years old in secondary school. I do not call myself an artist. That would be an insult to artists.”

Kamil now works 20-hour days to coordinate a team of 34 people around the world who churn out “doge” avatars for anyone who sends money in support of Kyiv’s war effort. The requests have become so frequent — more than 1,000 a day — that they’ve created an online forum to dole out the work. Individuals specialize in certain types of avatars, for instance those associated with World War II iconography. Typically, it can take between a few hours and a couple of days to produce a new avatar.

Kamil says NAFO’s rise is down to a lack of organization, inclusiveness and humor.

The group decided to call itself NAFO — a hat-tip to NATO — after opponents speculated the group worked for Western national security agencies. When Russian influencers accused NAFO of being a smokescreen for Western spies, many members changed their Twitter location to Langley, Virginia, home to America’s intelligence agency.

(When the CIA asked its followers on Twitter in August what type of animal the agency deploys, one NAFO Fella answered: “I swear if the answer is not Shiba Inu dogs, you’ve missed a real opportunity.”)

Come for the shitposting, stay for the fundraising
Like many who have joined NAFO since the war in Ukraine began, Kamil, the Pole who started the movement earlier this year, takes the invasion personally.

He views what’s unfolding in Eastern Europe as similar to the Soviet Union’s expansion in the wake of the World War II, and that if Kyiv were to fall, other European capitals would be next in line. He says he’s never voted in an election before. But the war has made him politically active and he wants NAFO to focus on fundraising for frontline troops — with any Russian online trolling an unexpected bonus.

So far, the group’s efforts have raised roughly $400,000 for the Georgian Legion and other projects like “Sign My Rocket,” in which people donate to have messages written on Ukrainian artillery shells, according to Kamil. POLITICO could not independently verify those figures.

“People feel very strongly about it. But before they didn’t have a vessel to do it,” he said about how people had responded to Russia’s invasion. “But since they transferred to the fellas, they no longer feel like individuals. They feel like they’re supported, and they can support others through it.”

Matthew, the ex-U.S. marine, agrees. As much as people enjoy piling onto Russian trolls — or getting shout-outs from Ukraine’s defense ministry on Twitter — NAFO’s primary objective is sending funds to Ukrainian soldiers. “The dog was very funny. That’s what caught my attention,” he said. “But what really kept my attention was the idea of raising money for people who are actually fighting.”

That’s certainly true for Stradner, the Washington think-tanker who used her large Twitter following to call on others to join the movement. Stradner, whose Shiba Inu avatar sports long blonde hair and a blue power suit, is reminded of her donation each morning when she uses her NAFO mug for her first cup of coffee.

“I use this mug to get even more energy to fight Russia,” she said.

As dumb as NAFO can be, it's a highly effective psy-ops and counter-propaganda tool that has seriously impeded Russia's ability to get narratives established through social media, which was their primary method of soft influence in the west. I would go so far as to say that NAFO keeping Russian disinformation suppressed has had a large hand in the ongoing continuing support from the West given that it has a massive population of brain poisoned boomers who believe everything they read online and are ripe targets for Russian social media influence

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 18, 2023

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

That DICK! posted:

Tai posted:

Might wanna edit out the r

Nope

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

Okay the thread rules say no NAFO memes but they didn't say no articles about NAFO and the impact its had on the war so i'm gonna :justpost:

Mods already said it's fine to talk about in a serious way. Just no cringe memes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Tai posted:

Mods already said it's fine to talk about in a serious way. Just no cringe memes

Yeah, this is correct.