Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SKULL.GIF posted:

Here's some actually breaking news. This is up from the previous 1 year, I think? There must be a ton of sweating going on.

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1637198718960058368

not finding a source on this one

yall gotta be cautious with zerohedge or unusual whales if they dont post a direct bloomberg headline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

The collective psychic trauma of the Founding Fathers burning in hell as punishment for birthing the great satan causes Philly residents who are sensitive to psychic energies to go on murder sprees.

Watch ghostbusters 2 and you’ll get a general sense of how this works.

Philadelphia literally has the Gates of Hell as a tourist attraction.

https://philamuseum.org/collection/object/103360

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

War and Pieces posted:

Philadelphia literally has the Gates of Hell as a tourist attraction.

is the bridge to new jersey really that interesting

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

anime was right posted:

not finding a source on this one

yall gotta be cautious with zerohedge or unusual whales if they dont post a direct bloomberg headline

It's a letter the banks collectively sent to regulators just now, apparently. Should get some coverage soon.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

apparently 90% of philly goons do if this thread is any indicator

Protip if you dump enough cans of beans on their Teslas they migrate back to NY

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
fully insuring any regional bank is going to lead to some spectacular implosions, any dipshit baron with a bank charter can play with house money

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
je disais boo-urns...

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Bloomberg: Midsize US Banks Ask FDIC to Insure All Deposits for Two Years

quote:

A coalition of midsize US banks asked federal regulators to extend FDIC insurance to all deposits for the next two years, arguing the guarantee is needed to avoid a wider run on the banks.

“Doing so will immediately halt the exodus of deposits from smaller banks, stabilize the banking sector and greatly reduce chances of more bank failures,” the Mid-Size Bank Coalition of America said in a letter to regulators seen by Bloomberg News.

The collapse this month of Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank prompted a flood of deposits out of regional lenders and into the nation’s largest banks, including JPMorgan Chase & Co. and Bank of America Corp. Customers spooked by the bank failures were taking refuge in firms seen as too big to fail.

“Notwithstanding the overall health and safety of the banking industry, confidence has been eroded in all but the largest banks,” the group said in the letter. “Confidence in our banking system as a whole must be immediately restored,” it said, adding that the deposit flight would accelerate should another bank fail.

The expanded insurance program should be paid for by the banks themselves by increasing the deposit-insurance assessment on lenders that choose to participate in increased coverage, the group proposed.

The MBCA’s letter was sent to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., the Comptroller of the Currency, the Federal Reserve and Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen.

MBCA members include banks with assets of as much as $100 billion. There are at least 110 members of the coalition.

“It is imperative we restore confidence among depositors before another bank fails, avoiding panic and a further crisis,” the organization wrote. “While the cost of deposit insurance is not insignificant, the likelihood of it being needed is much, much smaller should all deposits be temporarily insured.”

Brent Tjarks, a representative for MBCA, declined to comment.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Things you say when everyone is very calm and collected:

quote:

“It is imperative we restore confidence among depositors before another bank fails, avoiding panic and a further crisis,” the organization wrote. “While the cost of deposit insurance is not insignificant, the likelihood of it being needed is much, much smaller should all deposits be temporarily insured.”

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

all good, long as zerohedge wasnt lone wolfing it

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
fdic no limits starring jay pow

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
We all just need to write the federal government and demand student loan balances be forgiven to prevent catastrophic collapse of the financial system.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Radirot posted:

living in the ghetto aint no joke. definitely an exciting time all around if you're into it I guess.

When I was 22, living in east Atlanta, I walked in on someone robbing my house. You like to think you’d say something badass, but I looked at the kid (probably 16) and said “this is not your home?”

He looked at me and said “where’s my cousin?” And I thought “oh maybe he’s lost.” Then he ran.

When the cops came they tried to plant a crack pipe in my roommates dresser and laughed that the kid hadn’t tried to steal the HDDDVD player because “everyone knows they’re worthless.”

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SKULL.GIF posted:

Here's some actually breaking news. This is up from the previous 1 year, I think? There must be a ton of sweating going on.

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1637198718960058368

lol there must be some absolutely gigantic capital flows to the big four

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Buddykins posted:

all that over a retirement age lmao france owns. here in america they strip us of all our rights and old white men and the government fucks us left and right and we just accept it like cucks

It's the fruition of our country's austerity freaks' longterm plans: acclimating youngs to not expect benefits & to blame that on the olds instead of on capital.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Why is France the only country who realizes this is actually about class

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Twerk from Home posted:

Why is France the only country who realizes this is actually about class

they accidentally picked a class war that for their fairy tale origin story

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
this weekend's emergency last minute bank bailout that narrowly prevents global depression is a little less exciting than last weekends' emergency last minute bank bailout that narrowly prevented a global depression

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Buddykins posted:

all that over a retirement age lmao france owns. here in america they strip us of all our rights and old white men and the government fucks us left and right and we just accept it like cucks

in 2020 there were sustained protests that included the complete immolation of a police precinct building.

The response was for the feds, in plainclothes, to literally black-bag people off the streets. They also assassinated the one guy who shot a right-winger in self-defense. And the fascist kid who crossed state lines to play slavecatcher? Yeah he walked free and now grifts professionally, etc.

Whatever happened to the ground-level BLM organizers anyhow?

It's pretty fuckin stark, even if we don't like to talk about it. The US state apparatus will double-tap you in the back of the head, hogtie your body and burn it in the backseat of a car. And then bill your family for the tow. Meanwhile most of the gendarme you see in those photos do not have firearms.

You can set your clock to the fact that whatever comes from the financial crisis du jour the costs will be borne by the same people what get wooden shampoos when they ask city hall to maybe stop murdering them so much.

That's life.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
How the gently caress could they not see like half a move a head here?

Everyone running everything is loving stupid.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Rectal Death Adept posted:

this weekend's emergency last minute bank bailout that narrowly prevents global depression is a little less exciting than last weekends' emergency last minute bank bailout that narrowly prevented a global depression

yeah i've noticed this is a thing, a kind of version of normalcy bias

i call it the near miss fallacy. if a disaster is narrowly averted multiple times people will assume there's no threat but in such a situation it is very likely the disaster will keep coming and eventually can't be avoided

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This article ends with calling the youngs ungrateful and says that they should spend more money on the boomers.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

apatheticman posted:

Anyone who paid even passing attention to the COVID response understands very clearly that the people in charge are idiots who mostly buy their own bullshit and fundamentally can't plan for anything beyond the immediate horizon. The world makes a lot of sense when you realize that it's evil children running the show, not evil geniuses.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wonder if he really did fly in the banker CEOs the other day.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1637219392848117760

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Anyone who paid even passing attention to the COVID response understands very clearly that the people in charge are idiots who mostly buy their own bullshit and fundamentally can't plan for anything beyond the immediate horizon. The world makes a lot of sense when you realize that it's evil children running the show, not evil geniuses.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

apatheticman posted:

probably due to all of the dumb poo poo they've been doing for decades now we seem to be getting to points where there are really only two options

let things get terribly and abruptly worse ...or do something stupid to keep things getting worse slowly, but making things worse in the long run

so now either the entire stock market and economy are wiped out by banks collapsing and we see a historic crisis ...or we do terrible fiscal moves that everyone knows are a bad idea like declaring infinite bailouts and turning the printers back on

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SKULL.GIF posted:

theres no other reason to fly in several private jets into omaha

like if it were one or two, whatever. but it sounds like a ton of .01%ers met warren buffet. bankers or otherwise.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Serf posted:

me, calling my local bank: hello, someone said i should call you
the customer service rep: about what
me: many numbers are red

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

what crisis? pretty sure everything is fine

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

anime was right posted:

theres no other reason to fly in several private jets into omaha

like if it were one or two, whatever. but it sounds like a ton of .01%ers met warren buffet. bankers or otherwise.

Well there's also the annual C-suite orgy Buffetgasm, but that's not usually until August

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

these imbeciles have backed themselves into a corner where the only options out are extremely awful for the rest of us and naturally their going to take whichever route benefits them and screws everyone else

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm still loling at a group of economist having discovered 190 banks across the usa are in the same position as SVB

ha ha YES I smell some impending BANK DEATH

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

The entire SVB response was predicated on a bunch of idiots working themselves up into a very public tantrum close enough to a weekend that no one could calm them down, and the result was for regulators to start babbling about infinite money and unlimited deposit insurance. It was so bad and stupid that European regulators started making statements that sounded like posts pulled from this thread.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

apatheticman posted:

The ideology of neoliberalism precludes any response beyond what they’ve done.

it’s not only beyond the ability of the federal government to act directly on the economy, it’s something verboten, vulgar.

Doesn’t augur well for their ability to weather another major crisis. Maybe we’ll see liberalism collapse again.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/MiddleEastEye/status/1637106928114364419

quote:

Pakistan is in dire need of sustained US dollar inflows to avoid defaulting on nearly $80bn of international loan repayments over the next three and a half years. The country is currently sitting on just $3bn in foreign exchange reserves.

Meanwhile, the rate of inflation in Pakistan is set to hit 33 percent in the coming months and the country's currency has devalued nearly 65 percent in the last 12 months.

Najeeb argues that with high inflation, slow growth and high interest rates around the world, there is less money available for emerging markets like Pakistan, and that without the IMF's “stamp of approval” even friendly Gulf kingdoms will remain shy of investing in the country.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lol they waited until the weekend kicked off to post the downgrade. Monday is gonna be grim.

https://twitter.com/PriapusIQ/status/1636886636398100482

BANK

DEATH

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol there must be some absolutely gigantic capital flows to the big four

At this point you'd be a total moron to leave more than 250k in a small bank. Especially after Yellin brought up the whole "too small to save" corollary to TBTF

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it's fine everyone, I have watched a lot of anime

See it just looks like the bank collapse is inevitable. We are at the point where JPow's last ditch Paper Printer Ultimate Form (ペーパープリンター 究極のカタチ) in 2020 instantly defeated the crisis. It has returned and despite bringing out the printer again the Crisis seems to be barely phased at all.

We need to give Janet Yellen and Jerome Powell time to consult the ancient Number prophecies and see if anything lies in the temple beneath the Federal Reserve.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
just pull an Argentina, bills aren’t real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

That letter from midsize banks is 100% correct that Yellen's statements have potentially created a huge banking crisis.

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 00:54 on Mar 19, 2023