Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Elviscat posted:

Please use her formal name of lovely Kitty anything else is disrespectful.

There should be a registry of actual ship nicknames, as a counter the lame official nicknames on all the merch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Madurai posted:

There should be a registry of actual ship nicknames, as a counter the lame official nicknames on all the merch.

The USS Connecticut has "double deuce" as an official, command approved nickname, which is some real truth in advertising.

Somewhat related:

I remember when current CNO and former NAVSEA08 John Richardson promised us that the 18 months Boise had been stuck next to the pier was an embarrassment to the Navy, and was over, and headed to drydock later that year (2018), at a CNO call in Groton.

Guess he's a lying piece of poo poo!

I like to go for walks on my town's waterfront, where I can see the mothballed LCSs, the 22 rotting next to the pier, and if I'm lucky, the Nimitz's ancient rear end kept afloat by EB red and hopes and dreams, and just reflect on the complete clownshow that is the US Navy and the MIC.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Lol what’s wrong with the Boise?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nothing, it hit hull cert expiration and the Navy just.... forgot to schedule or budget an availability, and all the nuclear-capable drydocks are booked to (and beyond) capacity, so a perfectly serviceable asset has been OOC for 6 years for no reason.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

FrozenVent posted:

Lol what’s wrong with the Boise?

It's just been the lowest priority in the yard forever, and every time they've been about to start actually working on it, it gets interrupted by a government shutdown or COVID or something for long enough for another SSBN or SSGN or CVN to come in and bump it down the priority list again.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Oh dear god and I assume they have crew pscing and assigned to the ship? That must be what it was like before they finally got the WASP going in early 10s after years pierside

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh yeah, it's a nuke boat, so it's had a full compliment the whole 6 years it's been pierside, there's a bunch of sailors who's whole "sea" tour has been spent on that boat.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Nick Soapdish posted:

Oh dear god and I assume they have crew pscing and assigned to the ship? That must be what it was like before they finally got the WASP going in early 10s after years pierside

The top performer in my department head cadre was specifically selected for orders to Boise to help build them up from scratch and get them through their availability and ready for deployment.

That was in 2017 and we are both done with our department head tours.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Oh hey town is super quiet now with the big stick gone and the Nimitz still floating about.

I bet McClouds is gonna be a meat market tonight with it also being a Friday drinking holiday

Good time to be a Jody!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Wouldn't any of the new sailors on the boise need to TAD to an actual sea going boat to finish out ships quals? I remember about half the drat crew on the LA had to do that due to the 3+ years it was in drydock.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, all the nubs will go on rides for sure, usually 6-12 months on a deployable boat, we always had a couple riders kicking around from the precoms when I was up in Groton.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Elviscat posted:

Oh yeah, it's a nuke boat, so it's had a full compliment the whole 6 years it's been pierside, there's a bunch of sailors who's whole "sea" tour has been spent on that boat.

Is it able to go underway for short periods, and just doesn't deploy, or is it literally tied up to the pier for six straight years? I've been in a squadron in a 5-year-long maintenance phase, where we also had to farm all our new guys out to other squadrons to get quals, but at least we were able to go on little dets and bullshit exercises to get something done.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It can't dive, when I was on a boat with a decertified hull we did semi-weekly underways where we'd leave Wednesday morning and come back in the evening, it was loving brutal for nukes because we'd be in at 3AM and home around 11PM. The day before and after were, of course, normal working days.

Our bugnuts insane CO wanted to go out twice a week "to maximize lethality, because war could break out with Russia at any time" but Squadron told him they weren't paying for tugs and pilots for that poo poo, thank God.

So that'd be the stupidest possible option, if I had to make a more serious guess, I'd guess they've had enough parts cannibalized to other boats that they're not able to start up and get underway, I dunno though, it's the Navy so it's probably a combination of options so unbelievably stupid I can't even think of it, like they heat up and do a two week proficiency underway on the surface once a quarter then cool back down.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Okay, yeah, a sub getting underway just to toodle around on the surface for a day is exactly the kind of Navy option I would expect. That sounds incredibly depressing.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

Oh hey town is super quiet now with the big stick gone and the Nimitz still floating about.

I bet McClouds is gonna be a meat market tonight with it also being a Friday drinking holiday

Good time to be a Jody!

Is that the Bangor sub bar?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Despite being old and broken down all the time that thing was still fast when we did exercises with her.

Was on a Tiger cruise in 2001 and had a 50kt wind over the flight deck at 35kts speed (just guestimating). Being a dumb kid i spread my jacket like wings and flew backwards like 30 ft. It owned.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Is that the Bangor sub bar?

That’s the horse and cow and it was pretty quiet last night. I was across the street in the nerd store playing magic in the basement bar area.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Crab Dad posted:

That’s the horse and cow and it was pretty quiet last night. I was across the street in the nerd store playing magic in the basement bar area.

Guam horse and cow is the real one, Bremerton horse and cow is a family friendly restaurant pretending to be a submarine bar

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I've been avoiding this thread - I put in my separation papers months ago. I figured I'd come back when I was safely on terminal leave. Now?

I'm ready to make a really bad decision. All I have to do is hit the "cancel" button on NSIPS. When times are good, they're great. I can make this work. It's scary out there, I know I can always go home to Navy - the bad times, they weren't so bad, I think.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Red Crown posted:

I've been avoiding this thread - I put in my separation papers months ago. I figured I'd come back when I was safely on terminal leave. Now?

I'm ready to make a really bad decision. All I have to do is hit the "cancel" button on NSIPS. When times are good, they're great. I can make this work. It's scary out there, I know I can always go home to Navy - the bad times, they weren't so bad, I think.

Yes they were.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Red Crown posted:

Your brain is just filtering out how bad the bad times are, when you get to the next lovely command out there it'll all come back to you. I thought obligating for another year at sea "couldn't be that bad, it's just a year" and it was worse.

Don't be a loving loser, get a cool job, go to college with your GI bill, burn your loving uniforms.

Hitting the "reenlist" button is the coward's choice. Don't be a loving coward, don't be a loving loser, get the gently caress out of the Navy. Don't be like me and set 12 years of your life on fire because you enjoy financial security, it's not worth it, living in your car under a bridge is a more self-respecting decision then reupping.

If you can't let it go, try the reserves for a bit, see how that treats you, that should give you a longer lifeline to return to active duty if you have to.

Apologies to those still in.

E: I went to a wedding for one of my buddies from my first boat a couple months back, there were maybe 6 of us prior service folks there, and universally our lives were so much better than when we were in.

gently caress The Navy.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 18, 2023

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Red Crown posted:

A post about the bad times being "not so bad" 5 posts after a conversation about a sub having been stuck in port for 6 loving years, fully manned by the (possibly, please tell me there aren't worse billets out there) most depressed crew in the navy.
Are you hoping for some cushy assignment to one of the newest attempts to break the record for "longest period underway without ever entering port"?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Been reading too many Crab Dad posts

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Red Crown posted:

My friend would like to talk about some of the awesome things the reserves can offer you?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Crab Dad posted:

My friend would like to talk about some of the awesome things the reserves can offer you?

None of the stuff you're qualified for even matters! Whatever rate you WERE, you can now be a YN or BM or MM!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

NO! Bad crab dad! Bad!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

None of the stuff you're qualified for even matters! Whatever rate you WERE, you can now be a YN or BM or MM!

IT is the way to go. As a support class all you do is hang out in the back and mutter something about collect data on port access or printer queues.

Don’t forget to carry a clipboard.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

NO! Bad crab dad! Bad!

Encouraging people to do the reserves is bad, but if the alternative is active duty, it's more like harm reduction.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
You probably won't have a better day in a civilian job than the best day in the Navy, but you also probably won't have a worse day in civilian job than the worst day in the Navy. By a long shot

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Get your medical record and ensure documentation of EVERYTHING before you kick rocks. You did your term and you can get setup for life with the benefits from said time. Get out, get some unemployment, get a rating, go take some classes and clock BAH, find a pipeline voc rehab pays for...or you can go have certified brain geniuses who are in their role by virtue of staying in while better people got out decide how you spend your time based on their in the moment impulse, idk which seems better, tough call

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Red Crown posted:

You need to get out of the Navy.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Red Crown posted:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Flyinglemur posted:

You probably won't have a better day in a civilian job than the best day in the Navy, but you also probably won't have a worse day in civilian job than the worst day in the Navy. By a long shot

I would say that my worst day as a contractor was equivalent to the "average" AF day when nothing was going on.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

You should enlist in the Marine Corps. You get E-2 out of boot camp for being prior service.

I need someone to help keep the USMC thread alive and I am getting old.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I had a perfectly fine time in the navy. I would have stayed in if they would have let me change my NEC.

I think it kinda depends on how much time dude has in. If I was over half way to getting my 20 I’d stick it out. Under that? Depends on the job.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Hekk posted:

You should enlist in the Marine Corps. You get E-2 out of boot camp for being prior service.

NO! Bad Hekk! BAD!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Hekk posted:

Should we deploy the thread again?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

I had a perfectly fine time in the navy. I would have stayed in if they would have let me change my NEC.

I think it kinda depends on how much time dude has in. If I was over half way to getting my 20 I’d stick it out. Under that? Depends on the job.

Remember, your perfectly fine time in the Navy can turn into an absolute horrorshow at any time, and you're powerless to stop it. I've seen a few Chiefs tap at 16+ years.

You can quit your civilian job any time you want.

Like two months into my brand new civvie job they told me I had to mandate OT and make my guys work 7 12s a week, and I told them I'd just loving quit, and half my crew probably would too, so they gave up and made it voluntary, lol.

E: I.E. you can do this

You can also walk into the too fancy weed store and take advantage of their wares.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 19, 2023

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

McNally posted:

Should we deploy the thread again?

It should just get folded into the Army thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Somebody has gotta stay in the Navy.

It wasn't gonna be me; but god bless those maniacs who stay in past their first enlistment.

FTN