Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I am still having flashbacks of that thread where people were arguing that poor people just needed to only eat beans and rice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ardennes posted:

I am still having flashbacks of that thread where people were arguing that poor people just needed to only eat beans and rice.

you dont need more than that

speng31b
May 8, 2010

my favorite food discourse was when a bunch of SF techies reinvented Ensure and tried to market it to coders who were too code brained to remember to eat regular food, but then a bunch of people got really sick from horrible malnutrition

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Soylent?

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

i just eat a single tub of ben & jerry's (as low as $3.50 on sale, ~3000 calories) and a multivitamin every day i don't see what all the fuss is about

speng31b
May 8, 2010

yeah, but iirc there were a few similar ones with similar audiences popping up around that same time, all marketed to people who are just grinding too hard to eat a sandwich

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
recommended the carb balance mission tortillas, get all your fiber in one meal

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
all the threads I can think of more encourage you to have a bean and rice horde

which is loving tough at these prices

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

at the white people stores, sure, but a 20 pound sack of rice and similar of dried beans is still very affordable at your standard local asian or hispanic grocery

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Ardennes posted:

beans are getting pretty expensive

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Hatebag posted:

It's thighway robbery

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
this is grocery adjacent, but I get super annoyed when I go to the supermarket to get something that (in my mind) should be cheap with plenty of variety and get neither. I need some ramekins of different sizes to experiment with some recipes. it's a porcelain cylinder which should be like $.89 each, so I went looking at Giant and the Target supermarket near me.

a single 4oz ramekin - the only size stocked by both stores - is $5!!! you can get 8 for $20, but I don't want 8. Target had 14oz ramekins also for $5 each, and Giant had metal 8oz "disposable ramekins," which are essentially cupcake paper made of double-thick tinfoil

this country is a mess. I bet China has ramekins coming out the wazoo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

they don’t have baskets anymore at Fred Meyer @_@

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

speng31b posted:

yeah, but iirc there were a few similar ones with similar audiences popping up around that same time, all marketed to people who are just grinding too hard to eat a sandwich

From what I've seen, I believe that poo poo is marketed primarily at academics with ADHD.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

speng31b posted:

my favorite food discourse was when a bunch of SF techies reinvented Ensure and tried to market it to coders who were too code brained to remember to eat regular food, but then a bunch of people got really sick from horrible malnutrition

I liked the one that was a machine that squeezed a bag of juice into a glass for you, for the bargain price of $500

JustFollowingOrder
Mar 3, 2023

by vyelkin

War and Pieces posted:

that's cool the $5 Biggie Bag at Wendys stays the same price too

the actual price is a $35 dollar biggie bag, the difference is put on credit

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

indigi posted:

this is grocery adjacent, but I get super annoyed when I go to the supermarket to get something that (in my mind) should be cheap with plenty of variety and get neither. I need some ramekins of different sizes to experiment with some recipes. it's a porcelain cylinder which should be like $.89 each, so I went looking at Giant and the Target supermarket near me.

a single 4oz ramekin - the only size stocked by both stores - is $5!!! you can get 8 for $20, but I don't want 8. Target had 14oz ramekins also for $5 each, and Giant had metal 8oz "disposable ramekins," which are essentially cupcake paper made of double-thick tinfoil

you can just get one if you open the box and take one 💫

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
the Target app will refund an online order without a trip to the store or without shipping it back if your item arrives broken

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin
Why is there no shoplifting megathread in cspam for tips and tricks

I have been getting exceedingly better at just not swiping poo poo in the self-checkout area but I have been almost entirely reliant on how sleepy/distracted the supervisor is and how drunk I am

Does anyone know how sensitive the weight sensors are on that thing? Like could you just swap the barcode on poo poo that more or less weighs the same?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Brrrmph posted:

the Target app will refund an online order without a trip to the store or without shipping it back if your item arrives broken

btw mods I’m not advocating for dishonesty. just trying to help goons who receive damaged items from Target

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

speng31b posted:

Soylent specifically got banned in Canada for a while because it was marketed as a “meal replacement” when it’s nowhere near it. They responded like you would expect a tech goober would

quote:

Although we feel strongly that these requirements do not reflect the current understanding of human nutritional needs, we respect the CFIA's regulations and will fully comply with any regulatory action they deem appropriate

“I clearly know more about nutrition than you but FINE whatever”

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tony Tone posted:

I have been getting exceedingly better at just not swiping poo poo in the self-checkout area but I have been almost entirely reliant on how sleepy/distracted the supervisor is and how drunk I am

Does anyone know how sensitive the weight sensors are on that thing? Like could you just swap the barcode on poo poo that more or less weighs the same?

buy fancy organic fruits and veggies but ring up the regular ones

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

indigi posted:

we do, i saw some loosie ramekins for sale yesterday for like $0.75 each

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the cool thing about grocery stores is that they throw away tons and tons of perfectly edible even preserved food, and make sure that nobody can get at it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

indigi posted:

just ask an older woman in your life from some ramekins

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

indigi posted:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Koirhor posted:

buy fancy organic fruits and veggies but ring up the regular ones

also the bulk foods aisle for the primo trail mix and nuts

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

reporting this thread to the police

speng31b
May 8, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

reporting this thread to the police

mods rename this thread genuine shoplifting advice megathread

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
my childhood friend who was always a little hefty and had a Bryant Reeves style haircut from ages 3 to today is a cop

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i posated thisin another thread but there is a subreddit dedicated to being paul blart and its some of the most deranged poo poo i have ever read

https://www.reddit.com/r/lossprevention/

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

vyelkin posted:

I liked the one that was a machine that squeezed a bag of juice into a glass for you, for the bargain price of $500

iirc it also would order more bags of juice for you.

indigi posted:

Ramekins are fundamentally bourgeois. Cook a regular amount of food.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i posated thisin another thread but there is a subreddit dedicated to being paul blart and its some of the most deranged poo poo i have ever read

https://www.reddit.com/r/lossprevention/

they banned r/shoplifting because people kept posting like a pile of D batteries and laundry detergent

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

i say swears online posted:

they banned r/shoplifting because people kept posting like a pile of D batteries and laundry detergent

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quote:

The funny thing is 99.9% don’t steal eggs, bread, or rice.

In all of my time in this business, I’ve never caught anyone stealing eggs, bread, or rice.

There are plenty of programs, food banks, and EBT cards to pay for food, for people experiencing a rough time - there is no need to steal.

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010

indigi posted:

hello, I would suggest you check any local resale/used goods shops. they tend to have those things for dirt cheap and often they're of better build quality than modern goods. just make sure they don't contain radioactive materials.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
yeah if you want to miss out on health benefits

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

hello, I would suggest you check any local resale/used goods shops. they tend to have those things for dirt cheap and often they're of better build quality than modern goods. just make sure they don't contain radioactive materials.

uranium glass rules, i've got a friend that collects antiques of it

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Tony Tone posted:

pretty sure the weight sensitivity and alarm alarminess gets set by the end user. Not sure if that's corporate policy, individual store manager level, or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Food should be free.