Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

can't wait until twitter starts getting thousands of chargebacks from bot accounts using stolen credit cards

edit: "credit card processing is now a twitter blue feature"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

Russia is trying to say that helping Ukraine is detrimental to a train derailment in Ohio

Is it derailing in slow motion so we can still stop it if we concentrate all our resources on it?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah, the dreaded algorithm has clearly been instructed to maximize engagement and gives recommendations based on what gets users to spend the most time on the platform. A normal consumer listens to podcasts based on their own schedule, like before bed or while doing menial tasks, and is unlikely to spend more time on the platform than that. The kind of person who is into fascist poo poo like Rogan or Peterson is absolutely depraved and will listen to/watch every single episode, maybe even multiple times.

So of course the algorithm will greatly favor fascist rants, because whoever is hooked will spend a lot more time on there, and whoever isn't will just block it and go on with their regular consumption. Spotify obviously makes a lot more money off people coming in to listen to Rogan than it loses on people boycotting it for having him, so recommending him is low risk and high reward, weighing him a lot higher than anything you might actually listen to. The algorithm doesn't care what you're into, it's just putting forth whatever has the highest gross chance of keeping someone online for another hour.

You don't need to root through the source code or really understand anything about how programming works; this is obviously what's happening and every major social media platform is in on it. Twitter before Elon included.

Like it scarcely needs to be said, but there was never any hidden woke code or nefarious shadowbanning agenda. Twitter banned its fascists openly and begrudgingly, whenever a callous risk assessment suggested that the bad publicity from platforming genocide apologia and insurrectionists would cost them more than they'd gain by keeping it around.

Yeah I've figured for a while it just recommends whatever has the highest yield for commonly used metrics in general and all the stuff about it learning or tailoring to your taste is only kind of a half truth. It'll note categories and recommend you whatever is the most watched poo poo in that category that works for most people. Therefore listening to a podcast means Joe Rogan coming right up next or a video after.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

Russia is trying to say that helping Ukraine is detrimental to a train derailment in Ohio

I didn't know Russia cared that much about Palestine

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Not enough people are reading Nazi tweets
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1637204069226881024

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I would simply parse every tweet to actually determine what it's about, the view the tweeter is taking, and then search an index of all possible things to have opinions of

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

go on then, pussy. Do it

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
Don't rush him, he's still in the process of stepping down as CEO of Twitter. These things take time.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

big black turnout posted:

I would simply parse every tweet to actually determine what it's about, the view the tweeter is taking, and then search an index of all possible things to have opinions of

MuskAI can do this p. easy as long as parody accounts are clearly labeled parody!

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
i was going to say i think taylor swift is too old for elon, but shes apparently 2 years younger than grimes. (35 vs 33)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

kazil posted:

MuskAI can do this p. easy as long as parody accounts are clearly labeled parody!

so real journalistic entities like, The Onion and Clickhole will still be allowed?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I need to see both sides of the "spend less on candles" argument

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Decrepus posted:

I need to see both sides of the "spend less on candles" argument

its don't spend so much on candles, and No

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Just invent an AI that can interpret intent, context, and meaning from a poorly spelled short message and then have it trawl the the database interpreting every other tweet for something it defines as opposite to it. Piece of cake, sounds like a super simple problem to solve! I’m sure he’s got whole departments of coders standing by to quickly roll this out between all the other features he’s actually promised. He could open source it

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Steadiman posted:

Just invent an AI that can interpret intent, context, and meaning from a poorly spelled short message and then have it trawl the the database interpreting every other tweet for something it defines as opposite to it. Piece of cake, sounds like a super simple problem to solve! I’m sure he’s got whole departments of coders standing by to quickly roll this out between all the other features he’s actually promised. He could open source it

he made a car that can run over kids, shouldn't be that hard

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Sankis posted:

can't wait until twitter starts getting thousands of chargebacks from bot accounts using stolen credit cards

edit: "credit card processing is now a twitter blue feature"

lol if Musk speeds up birdsites death by getting blacklisted from the big 2(lol no one cares about Discover or Amex) since he's trying to launder putin bucks 8$ at a time.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

goatface posted:

Post username etc.
LOL

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Lmao imagine trying to implement this

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Infinitum posted:

This is always always ALWAYS going to be the funniest thing about this.

You're a loving billionaire, like you could have bought so much cooler poo poo for $44 billion than a website so you can go PLEASE NOTICE ME GRIIMMMMMMES

It's so easy to underestimate how much money he has blown on this.

Even just in the wheelhouse of his other businesses, for this money he could have built a space station or installed millions of Tesla chargers around the world,

Hell, there's the talk of Musktown. If you assume total average costs of just under half a million dollars per residence, 44 billion could build a loving city suitable for hundreds of thousands of residents.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Frank Frank posted:

Lmao imagine trying to implement this

he personally made a self-driving car and a spaceship, I think he can handle social media

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Steadiman posted:

I mean that's literally GPT and the cutting edge back room projects behind the public facing chat bot implementations are making it run on near real time data updates.

You just need to be ready that the opposite of "get vaccinated" is going to possibly be "spread your butthole like goatse" because opposites of things can mean real interesting mappings with the sort of matrices these things deal with. Which is a result I for one can live with.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Senor Tron posted:

Even just in the wheelhouse of his other businesses, for this money he could have built a space station or installed millions of Tesla chargers around the world,

Hell, there's the talk of Musktown. If you assume total average costs of just under half a million dollars per residence, 44 billion could build a loving city suitable for hundreds of thousands of residents.

A billion dollars in a standard savings account produces 50 million dollars a year. I think about that a lot.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

A billion dollars in a standard savings account produces 50 million dollars a year. I think about that a lot.

fdic only insures 100,000.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

That's why you open accounts in 10,000 different banks. Thank god for online banking!

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

He could have built a small town on Mars, partly made of the free rocks there. No expensive maintenance or upkeep necessary, since the residents who move there (at their own expense) would be "fully self-sustaining" (or die and deserve it for being so lazy).

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Senor Tron posted:

You're absolutely correct. The opportunity cost to mankind is huge - so much better could have been done with this money. The list of potential projects is endless.

However, it's also important to note that Musk is so unfathomably rich that this has absolutely no impact on his lifestyle, personally.

Society bears a large opportunity cost. He bears no meaningful personal cost.

This gigantic discrepancy should be cause for massive public outrage and policy change. I know it won't be, but that's what I think about.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

You're absolutely correct. The opportunity cost to mankind is huge - so much better could have been done with this money. The list of potential projects is endless.

However, it's also important to note that Musk is so unfathomably rich that this has absolutely no impact on his lifestyle, personally.

Society bears a large opportunity cost. He bears no meaningful personal cost.

This gigantic discrepancy should be cause for massive public outrage and policy change. I know it won't be, but that's what I think about.

absolutely right. $44 billion means nothing to him. It's like spending 50 cents on the parking meter. Weather it makes money or fails means nothing to him. Capitalism has failed him. He cannot be happy.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

$250,000. I know we're all olds here who don't keep up with stuff but it hasn't been $100,000 for a long time.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

...! posted:

$250,000. I know we're all olds here who don't keep up with stuff but it hasn't been $100,000 for a long time.

your most likely right and my broke rear end brain just remembers poo poo from 1989
Edit: or from movies I saw

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

your most likely right and my broke rear end brain just remembers poo poo from 1989
Edit: or from movies I saw

It was a plot point in the recent "silicon valley bank" story line

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i think the billions of dollars mean a bit for the people he took loans from but i am not an accountant

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

It was a plot point in the recent "silicon valley bank" story line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q27YiPRiewg

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1637211412270399488

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
What a loving moron

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I am not sure Elon Musk understood Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I am not sure Elon Musk understood Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery

I’m not sure I can pin down his politics. A mystery wrapped in an enigma.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Almost Smart posted:

I’m not sure I can pin down his politics. A mystery wrapped in an enigma.

He's South African from the 80's. Pretty sure we can pin down his politics

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/1637283439119327232

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i think the billions of dollars mean a bit for the people he took loans from but i am not an accountant

I think it's more likely they have a deep fear of money, and tossing it musks way was the quick way they could think to remove such fearful thing from being around them.

I hope they get over their fears one day. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Hahaha, well here's another new bullshit metric.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1637235385070678017?cxt=HHwWgsCzzZC60LgtAAAA