Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Cats are cool and good so Sprigatito and Litten are at the top. Turtles are also fantastic so Squirtle and Turtwig round out the top 4.

Unova got the worst starter trio.

e: Im having way more fun than I expected trying to figure out a support or niche role for uncommon pokemon. Current project is Skuntank. I hope aftermath works on raids. :v:

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Diet Poison posted:

Well I beat the owl. I only ever try these solo now because Gamefreak is just so fuckin' bad at online, and I got super lucky by getting both Tauros and Staraptor as partners at the same time.

Online isn't that bad for this game (especially compared to Gen 8). It's just these 7 star raids are actually challenging and beyond the ken of 75% of the playerbase. :v:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I mean most of the people who are in online raids are literal children who never really appreciate stuff like non-damaging status moves since they already got through the entire game just spamming attacking moves, including lower star raids so 5, 6 and 7 star raids must be the same right?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

OTOH, I just had a raid where I somehow ended up controlling one of the other player's Pokemon, and God only knows what they saw. We did not win, as you might imagine.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I can't get mad when I join a raid with my Bellibolt and all three Miraidon immediately electro drift. it's so obviously kids who've seen others be successful with Miraidon taking out Decidueye with one Drift but don't fully understand why, and we're definitely going to wipe because I’m out of cheers and they're all out of PP for their best move

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sprigatito would be so much better if its evolutions weren't bipedal :(

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Sprigatito would be so much better if its evolutions weren't bipedal :(

Aww no I love Zorro Cat

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

Online isn't that bad for this game (especially compared to Gen 8). It's just these 7 star raids are actually challenging and beyond the ken of 75% of the playerbase. :v:

I mean it's more that the 7 star raids assume a level of coordination going in that just isn't possible with the (lack of) matchmaking. You have to set your pokemon and role before matching and there's no reliable way to read the battle and adjust well with how slow/laggy the information from the battle is reported to you. So you basically read and strategize on your own and hope you randomly match into people who also are doing the same and have roles that complement yours, and hope everybody mashes their rotations and it works out.

If you're unlucky you match into people who don't fit with your gameplan, or who are just trying to Play The Game and don't know about the meta discussions on forums/reddit. Or literal children who are just having fun.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Furnaceface posted:

It's all subjective but I was the least satisfied with Galar's starter trio. Cinderace and Inteleon are 'okay' but none of them really hit the mark for me, whereas with every other region I liked at least one of the starters.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
HA Rillaboom is good. I named mine Bonky Kong. :)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Cats are cool and good so Sprigatito and Litten are at the top. Turtles are also fantastic so Squirtle and Turtwig round out the top 4.

e: Im having way more fun than I expected trying to figure out a support or niche role for uncommon pokemon. Current project is Skuntank. I hope aftermath works on raids. :v:

From now on anyone dissing Snivy gets a sixer

Okay not really but I love him so much. Where is my boy Gamefreak! You gave me owl, now give me sideeye snake!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

wizard2 posted:

HA Rillaboom is good. I named mine Bonky Kong. :)

oh my god :3:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I just named mine Ringo. I mean it fits because Ringo means "Apple" in Japanese and Ringo Starr.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I've softened on gen 5 starters thanks to gen 8. Also Hisui Samurott was a minor change but a significant improvement over Samurott

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Just some thoughts

Tera is a really awesome mechanic
The system around changing teras is stunningly terrible

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Metapod posted:

Just some thoughts

Tera is a really awesome mechanic
The system around changing teras is stunningly terrible

It should be free at least to change between your pokemon's native typing. But I'd like it to be free always, don't see why not.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

At the very least it shouldn't cost 50 shards; getting 10 alone is a chore - maybe 25 at most?

Fingers crossed the DLC comes with a faster way to either get shards or change types outright

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Every seven-star raid so far has been soloable with some luck. However, an uncoordinated party is a liability. The shard rewards make for a much slower grind than anything else in the game. On top of that, their attempts to make tera raids go faster than max raids appear to be the source of many bugs.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Bongo Bill posted:

Every seven-star raid so far has been soloable with some luck. However, an uncoordinated party is a liability. The shard rewards make for a much slower grind than anything else in the game. On top of that, their attempts to make tera raids go faster than max raids appear to be the source of many bugs.

I don't think there are actually very many bugs, it's just that the ones that there are are particularly irritating. Even so, I think I find the atmosphere of chaos in tera raids more fun than max raids, which in retrospect were pretty slow and plodding.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

HopperUK posted:

It should be free at least to change between your pokemon's native typing. But I'd like it to be free always, don't see why not.
Once paid, I'd also like to freely switch between every tera type the individual pokemon ever had

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Coaaab posted:

Once paid, I'd also like to freely switch between every tera type the individual pokemon ever had

Yeah! Like how changing moves is so easy and good now.

Surprise trade: random grass-tera Gumshoos holding a Master Ball. Thanks, kind stranger.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Well, I can confirm Miraidon can solo the Decidueye raid with just Metal Soundx2, Charge and Drift. Maybr you need a bit of damage from IA but that's a fine thing, even after like 20~% Decidueye didn't cleanse debuffs for me or shield (I'm guessing it was 19% from IA).

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

you got Internal Affairs to help you raid?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

HopperUK posted:

From now on anyone dissing Snivy gets a sixer

Okay not really but I love him so much. Where is my boy Gamefreak! You gave me owl, now give me sideeye snake!

Dark tera type Serperior?

All the ones released so far have had tera types that could have been a main type for them.

Maybe...

Dragon Sceptile
Flying Blaziken
Ice Empoleon
Fighting Samurott
Dark Emboar
Fighting Incineroar
Dark Intelleon

Edit: Finally got my owl! Second try with Dedenne in a party with 3 Miraidon. Dedenne used Charm, then Nuzzle, then Charm again and then it was over before Decidueye even got a shield up.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 19, 2023

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Been taking a bit of a break from the game the last couple of weeks, but joined in today to make sure I got my owl. brought my Armarouge and we pretty much got entirely carried by a couple of Miraidon. only had time to reflect + taunt before they murdered it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I was today years old when I found out that deerling/sawsbuck forms aren't fixed in the new games, but rather take on the appearance relevant to the location when the game is loaded in.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1637605717401116673

Much like other games, these Blissey are EXP/Tera Shard pinatas.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Are they gonna come in all tera flavors, or at least reward random shards?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

gently caress yeah it's my GIRL

sweet angel!

e: someone sent me a medicham called 'Go Die'

this is why i have trust issues!

ee: oh wait it has the ghost tera type, okay that's good

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 20, 2023

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

indigi posted:

Are they gonna come in all tera flavors, or at least reward random shards?

It'll probably be a bunch of shards of the Tera type of that Blissey.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I've played some pokes in the past but for some reason I got the idea that I want to play Pokemon Crystal and try to complete the pokedex. However, I don't have other copies of the gen 1 and 2 games, nor do I have friends. I do have an Everdrive though (as a backup to the actual Crystal cart I'm using) and I could get a compatible save, and that way I could trade over anything that can't be caught normally in the normal game.

Is there a 'legit' save that has everything? Or some kind of online resource where I could grab one?

I want to get everything legitimately that I can, within the game, then just fill in the blanks by trading from a pre-made save, basically.

This is all pre-Gen 3 so I feel no shame in doing this, since these couldn't be brought online anyway.

Any suggestions? Googling this stuff leads to a nightmare of confusing sites

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Chinook posted:

I've played some pokes in the past but for some reason I got the idea that I want to play Pokemon Crystal and try to complete the pokedex. However, I don't have other copies of the gen 1 and 2 games, nor do I have friends. I do have an Everdrive though (as a backup to the actual Crystal cart I'm using) and I could get a compatible save, and that way I could trade over anything that can't be caught normally in the normal game.

Is there a 'legit' save that has everything? Or some kind of online resource where I could grab one?

I want to get everything legitimately that I can, within the game, then just fill in the blanks by trading from a pre-made save, basically.

This is all pre-Gen 3 so I feel no shame in doing this, since these couldn't be brought online anyway.

You can get the other games on the 3DS virtual console for like, one more week, but you can't get those onto your Crystal cart in any way as far as I know. Maybe someone has a clever idea!

Surprise trade this morning - nothing too spectacular but I did get a Pikachu named 'Ash'. :3:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Hrist posted:

The turns probably just got disoriented. And it's showing them in a row like that to catch up. I think it can happen if it gets hit by a huge amount of it's HP all at once, and has to wait until its next action. Kinda like when it'll remove status from the party, remove negatives from itself, barrier, and then do like, 2 turns to attack right after. It's just how raids are sometimes, unfortunately.

In my experience this was happening most noticeably when it was using Air Cutter, because it effectively slows the game to a crawl. If it uses Air Cutter on all four of you, then you're going to have to read 16 messages about how it wasn't very effective, which prevents you from doing any kind of input, so your turn just gets skipped. If it just uses it once, maybe it pushes you far enough back that by the time you HAVE input your next move, it's queued up two.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

HopperUK posted:

You can get the other games on the 3DS virtual console for like, one more week, but you can't get those onto your Crystal cart in any way as far as I know. Maybe someone has a clever idea!

you can actually do the reverse and back up your gen 1/2 cartridge save onto Virtual Console, but I don’t know off the top of my head how to do it. tutorials are plentiful online though!

with that said, the Virtual Console has local-only trading, which could plausibly lead to a fun adventure where you put the call out irl for someone with the stuff you need, but I digress.

I’m certain there is a way to do what you’re asking—and that there are completed saves out there somewhere—but I wouldn’t know where to find ‘em

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
My favorite part of the 7 star raids is people copying the builds of their favorite YouTubers but fundamentally not understanding the mechanics of the raid battles.

So you'll have people joining with their miraidons and bellibolts but immediately triggering the boss's shield and getting wiped by a +2 brave bird spirit shackle

Like I appreciate you doing your homework but you also tricked me into thinking you know what you're doing. At least if someone tries to join with a kilowattrel I know not to join at all

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Chinook posted:

You'd pretty much need two GB/GBC/GBA systems and a link cable to trade with one cartridge being an Everdrive using a completed save.

As a side note, if you wanted to do this legit, you'd need either Blue and Gold or Silver and one of Red or Yellow in addition to Crystal, and you'd have to make multiple runs in the Gen 1 game to get both of the fossils, and then a third run to get the final starter. How did people ever complete a Pokedex back then?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

pyrotek posted:

You'd pretty much need two GB/GBC/GBA systems and a link cable to trade with one cartridge being an Everdrive using a completed save.

As a side note, if you wanted to do this legit, you'd need either Blue and Gold or Silver and one of Red or Yellow in addition to Crystal, and you'd have to make multiple runs in the Gen 1 game to get both of the fossils, and then a third run to get the final starter. How did people ever complete a Pokedex back then?

With Difficulty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzdOB5V7UCw This person completed a whole Living Dex in Gen 2 and it was a much bigger trip than everyone anticipated. They also did Gen 1, which was rather easy as it was only two games, so even if there were some difficulties, you just had to play the game a few times. Now they're attempting to make a Gen 3 one and it seems like it'll be a loooooooong endavour.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Terapagos would've been a much better 1000th Pokémon than the loving ugly rear end sub-Olympic-mascot Gholdengo

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Kikas posted:

This person completed a whole Living Dex in Gen 2 and it was a much bigger trip than everyone anticipated. They also did Gen 1, which was rather easy as it was only two games, so even if there were some difficulties, you just had to play the game a few times. Now they're attempting to make a Gen 3 one and it seems like it'll be a loooooooong endavour.

Isn’t Gen 3 going to need you to go through the GameCube games multiple times (completing the 100-streak Battle Tower each time) in order to get things like the Gen 2 starters and legendaries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Zaroff posted:

Isn’t Gen 3 going to need you to go through the GameCube games multiple times (completing the 100-streak Battle Tower each time) in order to get things like the Gen 2 starters and legendaries?

Yes, also the whole e-reader riffraff.
Reminder, it only got worse.