Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Broforce is so fun with friends. Legitimate belly laughs when we’re all relying on that one guy who dies stupidly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It is, no joke, the best couch co op game I’ve ever played. So much hilarious stuff happens constantly

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

PageMaster posted:

Is brotato the same or different from vampire survivors? 3.99 is hard to pass on if it is a different kind of game, but if it's the same but with different skins type of deal, I might pass.

It's different in that the metaprogression unlocks are different characters and items, but you start with the same amount of strength every time. The characters also play quite differently throughout a run as opposed to VS where eventually you're just a giant ball of death regardless of what you start with. I liked VS but I've put more time into Brotato because there's a lot more "there" there.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It is, no joke, the best couch co op game I’ve ever played. So much hilarious stuff happens constantly

Same sort of laughs with The Forest, once me and a buddy decided to just start eating the cannibals.

We’re enjoying the sequel all the same. We ate the first person that approached us, we had only been on the island like 4 minutes lmao.

Co-op gaming is such a gift.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

PageMaster posted:

Is brotato the same or different from vampire survivors? 3.99 is hard to pass on if it is a different kind of game, but if it's the same but with different skins type of deal, I might pass.

It's an autoshooter, so VS-like, but it is definitely its own game. Runs consists in 20 waves, with a stop at the shop between waves. Tons of character classes and items to make your build with, and 5 difficulty levels to challenge yourself. It's really good. It's also skill based, with meta-progression only consisting in introducing extra items to the pool and unlocking classes. There's no pumping stats between runs to auto-win after a while.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Downloaded Clone Hero on a whim and dug out my wiimotes and guitar controllers and wow this all works shockingly well for the most part and has been great for nostalgia. There's some weird bug that means that Steam interprets an upward strum as the home button but I'm a downstrummer so don't really notice outside of menus and you can work around it by launching from desktop with Steam closed.

Looking forward to my dock getting here next week so I can play on the big screen! I think my drums are still in the loft as well...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lord Bob posted:

Looking at the options for getting MuseScore on their site .AppImage is the first one listed and if that's what you're running every time then it makes sense because .AppImage isn't an installer - it's the entire application packaged up in a state that's ready to run. It's more like the equivalent on windows of downloading a portable .exe file and just running it.

So if you wanted to uninstall that you could pretty much just delete the AppImage and you're done. There would likely be some config files left behind somewhere like ~/.local/share/MuseScore.

I've still not gotten around to messing with emudeck but I'm willing to bet most of those things have been installed similarly by the emudeck script - "install" by just.. download the appimage and put it somewhere and run it (but god knows where emudeck is putting those appimages, no way of guessing that other than just poking around in emudeck docs)

Thank you for this, it makes much more sense now. I swear when I first ran the MuseScore AppImage it said it was installing but maybe it was just setting up directories or some nonsense.

I dont have my Deck with me now but should I just be able to drag it onto the Start Menu and not launch it from a directory? If I only need that I don't mind but I'd rather launch it how I launch everything else, either the Taskbar or Start Menu.

uiruki posted:

I had a go at installing the Diablo 4 beta on Deck and I’m quite happy with it, considering how choppy it can get on my big PC with a 3900X and a 3080. I did have to turn the textures to low as otherwise it’d just fill RAM and crash, but it still looks pretty sharp and runs at a decent 50 in fights and dungeons.

The biggest challenge for it definitely seems to be loading stuff - even on my bigger computer I was getting stutter moving through town.

If you go into the BIOS for the Deck you can increase the RAM/VRAM to 4GB, this should allow you to up the texture resolutions without much issue.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks for the brotato feedback all! Jumped on it and liked it enough to gift it to a friend.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
If we are recommending Vamp Survivorlikes you all need to check out Boneraiser Minions. The art is right up my ally, though I could see it not being for everyone. The unlocks and upgrades are interesting and have a decent amount of variety. I got bored with Brotato quick, but keep coming back to Boneraiser.

Bruxism posted:

My quest to turn my Steam Deck into a replacement for bringing a laptop on long work trips continue. I picked up the Steam Dock and am really happy with it. I want to put together a travel kit with the Dock and associated cords that I can carry separate from the Deck and charger. Having them separate is convenient for the long long flights I'm frequently stuck on.

I've been trying to find a good travel bag for the Dock and cords, but am overwhelmed by the options. Does anyone here have any suggestions for a brand or specific organizer? I've been searching "small electronics travel organizer", but maybe I'm looking for something else?

From a long time ago. Got some good recommendations from you all, but spent way too long trying to tracking down the perfect "electronics accessory bag." I found it: Civic Access Pouch 2L from Evergoods.

It fits the dock, cords, mouse, and a all my other electronic accessories. It has a quick access pouch on the top that I keep all my airplane seat accessories in. Granted, expensive, but it's exactly what I was looking for. I realize there are deck cases that are big enough to pack all this stuff into, but I wanted a separate case from the Deck itself - more convenient for the long trips I go on with limited seat space. I also picked up a wireless keyboard and set up the deck to fully replace my laptop on work trips. So good.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

sigher posted:

I dont have my Deck with me now but should I just be able to drag it onto the Start Menu and not launch it from a directory? If I only need that I don't mind but I'd rather launch it how I launch everything else, either the Taskbar or Start Menu.

I'm not sure if drag-dropping it into applications would work - but the way to add an application to the applications menu is to create a .desktop file for it in ~/.local/share/applications.

I'd wager there's a nice gui for making those somewhere, but I'm not sure where - and there's no special magic to .desktop files, it's just a text file with some names and paths in it that if you can't find a right click menu or something to add one for you, you can just write it yourself:

https://askubuntu.com/a/907572

The fun thing about trying to learn how to do anything on linux is that it's all just text files, and there's no single unifying GUI implementation like on windows, so a lot of instructions just fall back to "just make a text file and put it here".

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fairly certain in KDE you can just right click and make a shortcut like on Windows

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I bought Days Gone to play right when I got my Deck. The game runs beautifully and is pretty fun at first but goddamn the story stretches in forever. I’m 35 hours in and, as I’ve just looked up, no where near the end. I feel bad quitting it at this point but I’ve lost all interest. Looks like it’s $17 on sale now— runs awesome, but I’d wait for it to be $10.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

sigher posted:

Thank you for this, it makes much more sense now. I swear when I first ran the MuseScore AppImage it said it

You could also try installing AppImageLauncher, which should help you add a shortcut automatically when first running an appimage

https://github.com/TheAssassin/AppImageLauncher

Steam Deck friendly installation instructions: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/t9xwte/how_to_automatically_integrate_appimage_apps_into/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

As is my duty as a deck owner, I was finally enticed to buy vampire survivors in the spring sale.

When I run it it asks me if I want to run in normal mode or something like GPU lag reduction mode or something similar.

Which one should I be using? I tried it in normal mode and it seemed fine, but I’m also level 0 and not filling the screen with monsters/stressing the game engine yet.

I think I chose lag reduction and set it to stop asking me, and I've been good for a while now.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
edit Wrong topic :/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:siren:ATTN: People who bought a steam deck just before they went on sale (I know there is at least one in this thread):siren:

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1637103751352971264?s=46&t=lxskg4i8VJ2b8R0m-wxJBQ

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Funny wording considering they've credited the difference in literally every single instance I've seen of someone buying something just outside a sale period. I'm sure the support people are told to just give it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

PantsBandit posted:

Funny wording considering they've credited the difference in literally every single instance I've seen of someone buying something just outside a sale period. I'm sure the support people are told to just give it.

This might be something that's new to a lot of customers, as this might be their first Steam purchase ever.

Also, holy poo poo, is GTA Online fun.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

PantsBandit posted:

Yea steam automatically refunded me the difference when I bought FF6 for my dad before the launch sale kicked in. I didn't even put in a ticket.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They say similar with refunds and how if you overdo it they'll cut you off

They don't actually do that, they just don't want you doing it constantly

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

My friend bought a 512gb steam deck for $1.67. After selling an unusual tf2 hat and walking away with $600 steam bux

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

After playing d4 beta it puts me in the mood for similar stuff. What's a fun looterific arpg that works well on the deck (gamepad support) and has decent combat? (not PoE or other Diablos) Combat that has good feel is a lot more important than the gear grind stuff. A lot of the usual arpg suspects I've looked at don't support gamepad and I don't want to deal with emulated mouse controls.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Titan Quest if it ever got controller support

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

FuzzySlippers posted:

After playing d4 beta it puts me in the mood for similar stuff. What's a fun looterific arpg that works well on the deck (gamepad support) and has decent combat? (not PoE or other Diablos) Combat that has good feel is a lot more important than the gear grind stuff. A lot of the usual arpg suspects I've looked at don't support gamepad and I don't want to deal with emulated mouse controls.
Both Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games are ports of console games, have full controller support, and native Linux ports.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I bought Roadwarden thinking it’d be the perfect text adventure game to play on a Deck but it’s half-assed implementation that uses a mouse cursor and then also has to rely on lovely on-screen keyboard.

So now I’m struggling to find something to play on the Deck. Is there anything similar?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

RandolphCarter posted:

My friend bought a 512gb steam deck for $1.67. After selling an unusual tf2 hat and walking away with $600 steam bux

Holy gently caress, TF2 hats are still valuable a decade later??

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vegetable posted:

I bought Roadwarden thinking it’d be the perfect text adventure game to play on a Deck but it’s half-assed implementation that uses a mouse cursor and then also has to rely on lovely on-screen keyboard.

So now I’m struggling to find something to play on the Deck. Is there anything similar?

Pentiment or Citizen Sleeper

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Holy gently caress, TF2 hats are still valuable a decade later??

It’s honestly insane

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

The Diablo 2 remake

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

RandolphCarter posted:

Im glad for them

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

It did

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Subjunctive posted:

Pentiment or Citizen Sleeper

+1 for both of these. They’re both excellent and exceedingly well written.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Mescal posted:

pizza tower? it'll be on sale someday

Or just buy pizza tower now. It's worth every penny and if you're like me you'll probably get more out of it than any game you'd get in this steam sale anyways.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

History Comes Inside! posted:

It did! Works fine on Steam Deck

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone ITT hosed around with Skyrim SE with Mod Organizer/SKSE perchance? I've managed to get it "mostly" working with some minor weird very steam deck specific issues (namely, weird resolution issues and letterboxing, especially when docking and undocking) and was curious if anyone else had seen the same thing/solved it, since most of the internet is decade-old unhelpful crap or blatantly untrue ("you can't run it if you're not in desktop mode", "you can't run it if it's installed to the SD card", etc)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FF12 Zodiac Age is really great on this. I find that I enjoy non-action games a bit more, just because there's less need for stuff like shoulder buttons. Looking forward to playing it, since I remember very little about the original game (and I don't think I ever beat it - the latest thing I remember is there being some exploit where your party could fight skeletons literally forever, and I used that to powerlevel). I do remember the original being absurdly good looking for a PS2 game. They really pushed the PS2 to its limit with FF12.

I also got a 512GB micro SD card, so now I have plenty of space for things (even though uninstalling/reinstalling stuff isn't as big of a deal now that I have super fast internet; can literally download a ~50+ GB game in like 15 minutes).

RandolphCarter posted:

My cousin had a sort of terrible inverse of this happen to him a while back. He had been playing DotA2 constantly since release and had some huge amount of items (that according to him were worth at least like $1k total), but his account was compromised and all the items were sold off.

He was more depressed about the loss of the items themselves than the monetary value. I've never played DotA or any other MOBA (except for briefly trying that Blizzard one back when it was released), but I can still understand how much that'd suck; I guess it's vaguely like losing all the stuff in my FF14 account or something (which is the closest comparison I can think of).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 19, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Has anyone ITT hosed around with Skyrim SE with Mod Organizer/SKSE perchance? I've managed to get it "mostly" working with some minor weird very steam deck specific issues (namely, weird resolution issues and letterboxing, especially when docking and undocking) and was curious if anyone else had seen the same thing/solved it, since most of the internet is decade-old unhelpful crap or blatantly untrue ("you can't run it if you're not in desktop mode", "you can't run it if it's installed to the SD card", etc)
Here's some stuff user v1ld wrote on the topic in the Skyrim modding thread last year:

v1ld posted:

I keep meaning to write up the Steam Deck modding process properly, but keep putting it off. Here's the stream of consciousness version so something is out there before I forget.

Use the MO2 installer at https://github.com/rockerbacon/modorganizer2-linux-installer - but be SURE to run the game at least once through Steam before doing this. By running the game, Steam will create the Wine/Proton prefix needed to run MO2 and all the other tools you need. This will also create the registry entries other tools will need to find your Skyrim install.

The prefix is a folder at /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/<appid> where's Skyrim SE's appid is 489830. If you ever bork your MO2 setup somehow and need to clean your underlying Windows state, either remove or rename that folder and relaunch the game from Steam. This will recreate a fresh one for you. The prefix is essentially a brand new Windows install for just that game to run in, so you can then reinstall any programs you had installed in the borked instance and nothing is really lost. This works because all of your mods and other state are all in the MO2 install, which is all outside the prefix.

The MO2 Linux installer has a dependency on protontricks which you can install through the Discover app in Desktop Mode which installs a Flatpak. That failed for me, but it shouldn't have so do try it. I chose to instead have Arch, the underlying Linux distro under SteamOS, install it by enabling Arch package installation on the Deck. Here's one write up on how to enable rw on your internal filesystem and enable the Arch keys needed: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/t8al0i/install_arch_packages_on_your_steam_deck/ Once you've done this, run "yay -S protontricks" from the konsole command line and respond y to the prompts.

One detail worth noting is that the MO2 Linux installer assumes you're going to run Skyrim 1.6.* and installs a SKSE for 1.6 for you. Suggest removing that and putting in the SKSE version of your choice instead. If you need 1.5.97, use the Unofficial Downgrade Patcher from the Nexus and run it as an exe from within MO2, works very well. Don't forget to switch out the SKSE Data/Scripts folder when doing this! SKSE installs dlls, exes and a scripts folder of its own - that scripts folder is tied to the SKSE version and must be swapped out when you change SKSE versions. You can let MO2 manage SKSE's scripts for you since they're under Data\.

Once you have MO2 up and running, most things can be run directly through it by adding them as launchers. This would be stuff like xEdit, DyndoLOD, Synthesis, etc. I suggest installing such external tools, well, externally: I use /home/deck/Games/Skyrim/<tool>. So install them under that folder then add them to MO2 using the gear icon in MO2.

One final useful trick: if you want to install software or run a program within the prefix for a game here's how you do it. Remember, a prefix is a Windows install specific to that game which is stored under /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/<appid>. Let's assume you want to install .NET 6.0 which is needed for the Synthesis patcher into the Skyrim prefix, appid 489830. First download the .NET SDK installer for Windows x64, which should download to your ~/Downloads folder. Then run:
code:
WINEESYNC=1 WINEFSYNC=1 protontricks-launch --appid 489830 ~/Downloads/dotnet-sdk-6.0.401-win-x64.exe

Main thing here is getting the --appid correct.

Like I said above, don't worry about messing up your prefix, it's pretty easy to create a new one. MO2 stopped working for me when I put in the latest VC++ libraries yesterday for example. Easy: blow away old prefix, launch game through Steam so it creates a new one, reinstall a few programs I need using the above protontricks-launch tool.

LOOT is built into MO2 - it's the Sort button on the Plugins tab. No need to install it separately.

The way the Linux MO2 installer works is to replace SkyrimSELauncher.exe with a little program that launches MO2 instead for you. So when you press Play for Skyrim SE from within Steam, it will launch MO2. I suggest creating a shortcut to SKSE on the MO2 by clicking the Shortcut button next to Run in the MO2 interface, then selecting Toolbar and Menu. You can then launch the game by tapping the SKSE icon that will be on the MO2 toolbar.

When doing a long modding session, MO2 will eventually slow down over time. I tend to close and re-open it when it gets slow. Similarly, my game with ~200 mods and a *lot* of SKSE plugins tends to launch really slowly but is perfectly fine once it is up and running. I run it with a 30 fps cap and a screen refresh rate of 60 fps. 40/40 was working fine with CPU/GPU to spare until I went crazy with DyndoLOD but that's a perfectly fine price to pay for those LODs in my case.

E: Wabbajack should be runnable by using the protontricks-launch trick about. Haven't tried it but I don't see why it shouldn't work.

v1ld posted:

Putting this here partly for my own reference. Here's how you can download older versions of files in a game from Steam itself, apparently they version control all of that poo poo - yay, Valve.

You can find all of the available depots for a given game by looking up its appid as follows: https://steamdb.info/app/489830/depots/

489830 is the appid for Skyrim SE. To download an asset at a given version, you have to find what changed, so click the History button down the left side: https://steamdb.info/app/489830/history/

That shows the last change as happening for depot https://steamdb.info/depot/489833/ which is Skyrim Special Edition exe.

If you click the History button on the left, you can see all the changes released for that depot: https://steamdb.info/depot/489833/history/

As the first Manifest says, SkyrimSE.exe was changed earlier today.

To grab an earlier version we need to find the one we need. In this case 1.5.97 was released a few years ago on 21 November 2019. So scroll down and the manifest for that is 2289561010626853674, created the day before on 20th Nov.

With all that info: appid 489830, depot 489833 and manifest 2289561010626853674, we can download that version of that manifest from Steam.

Type steam://nav/console into your browser, hit Enter. Steam should now have a Console tab. Go into that tab and enter: download_depot 489830 489833 2289561010626853674

This is the appid, depot and manifest within that depot we want to download. You'll see something like this but your paths will be different because I'm on the Deck:
code:

] download_depot 489830 489833 2289561010626853674
Downloading depot 489833 (23 MB) ... 
Depot download complete : "/home/deck/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32\steamapps\content\app_489830\depot_489833" (1 files, manifest 2289561010626853674) 

If you go to the folder shown, it'll have the right version of the files in that manifest. In this case, it's just 1.5.97's Skyrim.exe:
code:

(deck@Deckard depot_489833)$ pwd
/home/deck/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steamapps/content/app_489830/depot_489833
(deck@Deckard depot_489833)$ ls -al
total 33964
drwxr-xr-x 2 deck deck     4096 Sep 20 17:17 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 deck deck     4096 Sep 15 15:54 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 deck deck 34769792 Sep 20 17:17 SkyrimSE.exe

I know the magic commands have been posted here before but I wanted to figure out how to do this for any game and any version, so.

E: Also at https://gist.github.com/v1ld/e0ae68910cfebf41baa4dc83d815981f for easier finding in the future.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Picked up Black Mesa, Dead Cells, and Hades. Very excited to try them all out!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Man MGSV is an insanely good game. Every time I pick it back up it strikes me just how masterful all the mechanics are and how they all interlace. One of the only games where the illusion of what you're doing and the verbs of what you're doing are almost indiscernible.

Oh and steam deck relevance, it's a great steam deck game. Sub-missions for your 20-30 minute sessions, main missions for around an hour, lots of little tweaks and updates you can do to motherbase in 5 minute bursts. Looks and runs great as well.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone able to get DBZ Kakarot to launch on the SteamDeck? I can't get it past the spinning Steam Logo. tried latest proton, no dice.