Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Look at all these folks who haven't seen the documentary Stealth.

E: What a lovely snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

hobbesmaster posted:

I can’t stop thinking of a metal gear solid death cutscene.

I don’t even mean that far, though it would be pretty good, I mean take the existing screen you see there when it loses signal for a second, flip it, and add a bar or two for some extra strips.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

This sounds legit (CBC source)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/poland-ukraine-fighter-jets-1.6780984

quote:

Poland's president said Thursday that his country plans to give Ukraine around a dozen MiG-29 fighter jets, which would make it the first NATO member to fulfil the Ukrainian government's increasingly urgent requests for warplanes.

President Andrzej Duda said Poland would hand over four of the Soviet-made warplanes "within the next few days" and that the rest needed servicing and would be supplied later. The Polish word he used to describe the total number can mean between 11 and 19.

One of Ukraine's staunchest supporters, Warsaw has taken a leading role in persuading sometimes hesitant allies to provide Kyiv with heavy weaponry. It has said that any transfer of jets would be as part of a coalition.

"Firstly, literally within the next few days, we will hand over, as far as I remember, four aircraft to Ukraine in full working order," Duda told a news conference.

"The rest are being prepared, serviced."
Germany caught off guard

On Tuesday, Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki said that deliveries could be made in four to six weeks.

Germany's government appeared to have been caught off guard by Duda's announcement.

"So far, everyone has agreed that it's not the time to send fighter jets," German Defence Minister Boris Pistorius told reporters. "I don't have any confirmation from Poland yet that this has happened."

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PhotoKirk posted:

Maybe an attempt to coat the lens?

I'm betting this.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Midjack posted:

I'm betting this.
Ended up as just uncontrolled flight into drone

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

And Slovakia is getting in on sending Mig29s to Poland now too.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/slovakia-jets-ukraine-russia-1.6781898

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

PhotoKirk posted:

Maybe an attempt to coat the lens?

At speed, with aviation fuel? No sane person could believe this would work.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Potato Salad posted:

At speed, with aviation fuel? No sane person could believe this would work.

It says "aeronautical insanity" right on the tin

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Is there a seperate thread on SA for pilots and piloting? I have a question about the process of becoming one.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

madeintaipei posted:

Is there a seperate thread on SA for pilots and piloting? I have a question about the process of becoming one.

Yes in ask/tell

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

madeintaipei posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821398

If you don't want to search A/T for it.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes in ask/tell

Thank you!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So I didn't know the company that is using drones in Africa for medical deliveries is called Zipline

Anyway, it sounds like they are taking a crack at the thread favorite, delivery drones. The video below you can skip around in to get the most interesting deets. Real AI nerds will be interested in their drone rotors designed for quietness. Also the blood delivery drones are pretty cool! I'm not sure how they got their GPS that accurate, but they are basically doing drone naval aviation: fling it into the sky via catapult, recovery via GPS-timed arresting cable. Maybe this is just smart marketing, but I do like how the company seems to have "humbleness and good engineering practices" as core values.

Oh yeah, their delivery drone: imagine a normal delivery drone with a cable-deployed delivery pod with an engine and thrusters for precise delivery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOWDNBu9DkU

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019
Late but lmao the raptor guy wants to make the Raptor 2 a VTOL

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

He's an idiot and he's not even very good at SolidWorks. My students can build better models than the crap renderings he keeps posting.

Nebakenezzer posted:

So I didn't know the company that is using drones in Africa for medical deliveries is called Zipline

Anyway, it sounds like they are taking a crack at the thread favorite, delivery drones. The video below you can skip around in to get the most interesting deets. Real AI nerds will be interested in their drone rotors designed for quietness. Also the blood delivery drones are pretty cool! I'm not sure how they got their GPS that accurate, but they are basically doing drone naval aviation: fling it into the sky via catapult, recovery via GPS-timed arresting cable. Maybe this is just smart marketing, but I do like how the company seems to have "humbleness and good engineering practices" as core values.

Oh yeah, their delivery drone: imagine a normal delivery drone with a cable-deployed delivery pod with an engine and thrusters for precise delivery.

This is lovely and the whole video made me smile. (except for the quick clips of Amazon drones, those made me :whitewater:)

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've been sub'd to their almost-never-updated YouTube for about 5 years because they seem fantastic.

They've been actually posting recently so Rober's timing seems like theyre setting up for a big funding round and if so, I wish them the best.

Whats particularly smart beyond their technology is they seem good at getting local buy-in before operating. Here's an example of them operating in the USA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blhj-ksPstQ

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Huh, just had Zipline in my LinkedIn DMs and wrote the pitch off as being a pipe dream. Didn’t realize they had something tangible.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I read about them years ago when they were started. Didn't take it seriously. If (a sufficient proportion of) the statements in that video are true, that's simply amazing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Zipline is IIRC the only drone delivery company to actually have a sensible approach to business: they identified a situation (delivering medical supplies in undeveloped regions of Africa) where drone delivery was actually a solution to a problem, not just a solution that needed a problem. Dunno if they can expand that success to last mile delivery in metro areas but they probably have the best chance yet out of those who've tried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-M98KLgaUU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I guess they are the result of a kind of leapfrogging innovation - existing infrastructure does not support traditional means of accomplishing their goal, so they just skip ahead to whatever comes next. Similar to how many countries skipped the personal computer and credit/debit cards and simply started doing all their administration and personal finance through phones (including dumb phones).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Stimperor posted:

I guess they are the result of a kind of leapfrogging innovation - existing infrastructure does not support traditional means of accomplishing their goal, so they just skip ahead to whatever comes next. Similar to how many countries skipped the personal computer and credit/debit cards and simply started doing all their administration and personal finance through phones (including dumb phones).
I read about Zipline years ago and in Rwanda (IIRC) where they started out the roads were poo poo and almost impassible during the raining season. But unlike with like the phone stuff, I don't think this will transfer to developed countries.

You basically don't need it because you can use one of the gazilion vendors or send your own courier in a car if you need something delivered right now. Last-mile type of delivery that Amazon et al are trying to solve is pretty different since we want the drone to drop off the package on our doorstep.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They get about 50 miles out of their conventional drones. I could see some use in say the smaller islands in puget sound and coastal areas like in Louisiana, the Carolina’s and so forth.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Drones in rawanda is probably pretty easy because number of structures taller than the tree line is approaching 0, lawsuits from accidents is approaching zero, and regulation is approaching 0. If anything, amazon should have started in Rawanda and then moved to the US, not the other way around.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

That's pretty drat impressive and I had no idea there was such a system already in active use.

Still, I spent big parts of the video thinking that it'd be a much better solution to have the Rwandan hospital be better-supplied in the first place, so that it doesn't need all these tiny bespoke lifesaving blood deliveries.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

They have a launch/catch facility north of Charlotte and I keep meaning to drive by and set up shop to watch some of their ops. One of these days…

Anyway, we flew into CUN the other day and I was mildly surprised to see a flying boat apparently decaying on the tarmac. I don’t suppose anyone could eyeball the model from the gmaps photo of it? (21.0334600, -86.8660919)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Warbird posted:

Anyway, we flew into CUN the other day and I was mildly surprised to see a flying boat apparently decaying on the tarmac. I don’t suppose anyone could eyeball the model from the gmaps photo of it? (21.0334600, -86.8660919)

Looks like a Grumman Albatross to me.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
You can use the measure tool to get dimensions and I think it's a little too small to be that...
Length c. 18m Wingspan c. 25m
vs the Albatross
Length 19.15m Wingspan 29.46m

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cable Guy posted:

You can use the measure tool to get dimensions and I think it's a little too small to be that...
Length c. 18m Wingspan c. 25m
vs the Albatross
Length 19.15m Wingspan 29.46m

Eh, there's not many twin-engined radial engine amphibians it could be, and Mexico was a purchaser of the Albatross. I'm going to stick with my ID until someone comes up with better evidence than this.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I think Albatross is correct, it even had a similar paint scheme as the Wikipedia picture does with the yellow pontoons and so on.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm sorry, all of these are hideous

Yes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Zipline is IIRC the only drone delivery company to actually have a sensible approach to business: they identified a situation (delivering medical supplies in undeveloped regions of Africa) where drone delivery was actually a solution to a problem, not just a solution that needed a problem.

Also they sensibly used fixed-wing aircraft, which are vastly cooler and smarter than helicopter drones.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hadlock posted:

Drones in rawanda is probably pretty easy because number of structures taller than the tree line is approaching 0, lawsuits from accidents is approaching zero, and regulation is approaching 0. If anything, amazon should have started in Rawanda and then moved to the US, not the other way around.

To be fair they avoided lawsuits by actually giving a poo poo about safety and thinking about failure modes, rather than trying to make a perfect system.

Powered Descent posted:

Still, I spent big parts of the video thinking that it'd be a much better solution to have the Rwandan hospital be better-supplied in the first place, so that it doesn't need all these tiny bespoke lifesaving blood deliveries.

IIRC one major part of the drone's utility is that Rwanda lacks good roads and reliable electricity so rural hospitals can have refrigeration units. I mean obviously both those things would be be good, but implementing them would be a couple orders of magnitude more expensive than drone delivery.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Better supplying the hospital might mean fixing the roads first, and then wasting a bunch of blood products for an eventuality that might not materialize, which doesn't sound like a great use of limited resources.

Sagebrush posted:

Also they sensibly used fixed-wing aircraft, which are vastly cooler and smarter than helicopter drones.
their new design is a multicopter (with asymetric props to abate noise).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would simply make the people immortal, so that they didn’t need hospitals.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

evil_bunnY posted:

their new design is a multicopter (with asymetric props to abate noise).
Just watched the video and the props are really the most interesting aspect. VTOL drones have been a thing before.

Still I'm not sure how viable this is going to be for regular urban deliveries in developed countries. The cost of one delivery might be relatively low but one drone can deliver one item to one location. You can stuff a hundred deliveries into a small van and have one guy deliver them.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I can't imagine this would be used in an urban setting. I think more likely you'd see it too outer lying communities in Alaska, etc., where simply getting a truck through might be problematic or where it absolutely need an antibiotic or a specific drug given as soon as possible.

It's a pretty narrow use case range for the tech, but it sounds like it would handle those cases quite well

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I think more likely you'd see it too outer lying communities in Alaska, etc., where simply getting a truck through might be problematic or where it absolutely need an antibiotic or a specific drug given as soon as possible.

Drone-ditarod

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Full Collapse posted:

Drone-ditarod

:cheerdoge:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

mobby_6kl posted:

Just watched the video and the props are really the most interesting aspect. VTOL drones have been a thing before.

Still I'm not sure how viable this is going to be for regular urban deliveries in developed countries. The cost of one delivery might be relatively low but one drone can deliver one item to one location. You can stuff a hundred deliveries into a small van and have one guy deliver them.

Well the video says that they are trying to compete with delivery using those 100 ton tanks they use for delivering a single pizza in US suburbia. Which might become economical fairly quickly as gas prices rise.
I don't think they can become efficient within cities where you get deliveries by bike, micro-truck, or even ground based drones.

Actually my father currently has an unusual medication need, for medicine that the apothecary can't store. So he drops of the prescription and later that day a bicycle courier drops the meds of at his apartment. He doesn't have a garden where he could accept airdrop deliveries, and waiting even 15 minutes at the apothecary really isn't worth it compared to his current setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO5hGUQyKy0

Anybody else get this recommended lol

That poor taylorcraft :(