Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Opopanax posted:

I'm just going to go ahead and assume the short soundbite on twitter is taken out of context and he said something a lot more reasonable

It's a reddit comment, and that's it in near-entirety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
*shrug* I also might just be feeling uncharitable 'cuz I just saw the Wonder Woman cameo and it made me want to chew sand

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I can't find it now, but yesterday I saw one of the actresses quoted saying "I took the Shazam job because I just really needed money." She was in West Side Story, and that was delayed, there was a pandemic, definitely an honest and relatable thing.

But also, with her and the director, folks tend to hold it together better, even on junk action movies. WB PR must have checked out, maybe folks aren't terribly worried about cutting ties with WB, which has really jerked folks around (Batgirl being the biggest example), or maybe filming during the pandemic was as lovely as it sounds.

I'd almost bet they've spent less promoting Shazam 2 than they have defending Ezra and Flash 2

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was Rachel Zegler.

West Side Story was her debut, and Shazam is her second project ever. She has some stuff coming out (including live action Snow White) but yeah she got in at a rough time I bet.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I guess it’s a double edged sword then that they didn’t go full on Monster Society for this movie. On the one hand I would’ve vastly preferred a talking worm and his cadre of weirdos to generic Greek mythical ladies, but I’d also prefer a Monster Society focused movie to not be a steaming pile of poo poo :shrug:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

StumblyWumbly posted:

But also, with her and the director, folks tend to hold it together better, even on junk action movies. WB PR must have checked out, maybe folks aren't terribly worried about cutting ties with WB, which has really jerked folks around (Batgirl being the biggest example), or maybe filming during the pandemic was as lovely as it sounds.

I'm reminded of the Star Wars sequel trilogy where by the end everyone just gave up not making GBS threads on Disney.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

mycot posted:

I'm reminded of the Star Wars sequel trilogy where by the end everyone just gave up not making GBS threads on Disney.

Adam Driver probably had the healthiest response; he did it for money and the clout to do whatever he wanted afterwards without having to give a poo poo about Star Wars. A real Harrison like attitude.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What's his excuse for 65 though?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Aphrodite posted:

I mean who wouldn’t be willing to cash in a paycheck for being in modern b-movie schlock?

:shrug:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There’s definitely this impetus for the more jaded or self protective cast and crew to just get on board with the negative buzz and abandon the sinking ship. And Shazam probably isn’t a movie worth fighting for regardless of how good or bad it is since it’s like part of this whole dying dysfunctional era. We see what happens when Rock gets overly defensive. When you don’t even know if your entire franchise is gonna be rebooted and recast there’s just no great reason to stand up for it or play the game.

Still there’s something very cynical and distasteful about like burying a movie the week it comes out. Like fine if you have a real grudge against the production or something but you chose to make the movie. Just live with it and enjoy your money.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cael posted:

I know that this should just be a “heh oh those teens” but when you pair that with a major plot being Anne being into Freddie this movie is really saying something …

Also non spoiler spoiler, it’s crazy how much Billy is almost second billed to Freddie who it seems like gets WAY more screen time.

To be fair, the movie does go "Hey, that's not cool" when she reveals her age. Also yeah, I do feel a little bad for Asher Angel who is basically not in the movie since Billy spends almost the entire time as Shazam.

All in all I thought the movie was very middle of the road. It wasn't terrible but wasn't great either. The Skittles part was pretty awful though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The quote is about tracking and box office and I don’t think Shazam 2 was ever really tracking to be a big deal no matter what

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

StumblyWumbly posted:

I can't find it now, but yesterday I saw one of the actresses quoted saying "I took the Shazam job because I just really needed money." She was in West Side Story, and that was delayed, there was a pandemic, definitely an honest and relatable thing.

A bunch of actors just take gigs for paychecks. Nothing wrong with that. Not every movie is gonna be an actor trying to win an academy award or passion project.

The director's comments seem pretty bad though because there probably are people's jobs on the line that are tied to it's success, and he's all just like "gently caress you, got mine".

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You can click through to the context, I think people are reading too much into it. (The context is a conversation about people being worried for his career)

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Heh I just got done watching Shazam 2 and it is hella bad.

Like I have a high tolerance for bad movies but it's really, super bad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm happy now they didn't waste Mr. Mind, the Wickedest Worm in the World, on this picture.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dawgstar posted:

I'm happy now they didn't waste Mr. Mind, the Wickedest Worm in the World, on this picture.

He's back again, in almost the exact same scene from the end of Shazam 1.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The_Doctor posted:

He's back again, in almost the exact same scene from the end of Shazam 1.

That's loving hilarious.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arist posted:

That's loving hilarious.

The whole thing is played as a joke with Sivana complaining about how he's getting old and is annoyed that Mr Mind is just doing the same thing he did last time.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I should say I do have more sympathy for Sandberg after reading his interview on the whole process.

It sounds like the whole thing was a dystopian nightmare to wrangle (ah, my words, not his), with last-minute changes having to be made at every turn and pratfalls around every corner.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I had low expectations but thought Shazam 2 was mostly fine with spots of good--that are constantly brought down by some really bad stuff.
The biggest problem is Zachary Levi, who never tries to connect with Asher Angel's performance. Billy Batson's scenes are all about him being scared
of aging out of his foster home and losing his family, but the Shazam alter ego parts are all "whoa I'm a big goofball who's real dumb because that begets easy jokes!".
You would never think he's afraid of losing his family if not for the parts where they textually put that in his lines, it's almost never in his performance.

All of the kids and their Shazam family counterparts are great and I'd love to see a movie about them, especially Mary and Freddy.

David Sandberg is a really good director, he juggles superhero, disaster, family, fantasy and monster stuffs pretty effortlessly.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

His kid likes dinosaurs.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And wants his dad to kill 'em all

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Spielberg should get him for Jurassic Galaxy.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’s funny that they could have had a movie where Shazam fights Black Adam, and team up in the third act against whoever deceived Adam, and lead into a future JSA movie, but decided it was better to have two bad movies instead.

I really just wanted to see the Shazam kids think that if they depowered Adam and themselves that they’d at least have a numbers advantage, figuring that Adam is probably some scrawny dork in his non powered form.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s funny that they could have had a movie where Shazam fights Black Adam, and team up in the third act against whoever deceived Adam, and lead into a future JSA movie, but decided it was better to have two bad movies instead.

I really just wanted to see the Shazam kids think that if they depowered Adam and themselves that they’d at least have a numbers advantage, figuring that Adam is probably some scrawny dork in his non powered form.

That could have been funny or entertaining though, and that's not allowed (under old rules, hopefully).

But yeah, depowering Black Adam, and he still looks like The Rock would be disheartening. "Did it work? Did it do anything? I think he's actually bigger now."

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CzarChasm posted:

That could have been funny or entertaining though, and that's not allowed (under old rules, hopefully).

But yeah, depowering Black Adam, and he still looks like The Rock would be disheartening. "Did it work? Did it do anything? I think he's actually bigger now."

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Wasn't she basically Kevin Feige's #2, or at least one of the very top people at Marvel Studios under him? Seems significant but no idea what this actually means for Marvel Studios in practice

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1637885119825592321

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Open Marriage Night posted:

Should have never signed on Dwayne to play Adam.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Barry Convex posted:

Wasn't she basically Kevin Feige's #2, or at least one of the very top people at Marvel Studios under him? Seems significant but no idea what this actually means for Marvel Studios in practice

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1637885119825592321

Your tweet is deleted, but maybe referring to them parting ways with the head of post-production and VFX?

She has been an Executive Producer and in charge of the VFX and post-production since the first Avengers movie and was a co-producer before that.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1637887013306114055

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 20, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The thinkpieces and reaction vids incoming

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Feige, Alonso and Louis D'Esposito have been the triumvirate at Marvel for a long dang time, so her leaving for any reason is big news.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lobok posted:

The thinkpieces and reaction vids incoming

Disney has finally learned that if you go woke, you go broke. Getting rid of the women is the first step towards bringing prosperity back to the white man #comicsgate

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm not a member of the All Change Is Bad crew, so maybe this can lead to improvements in Marvel's recent VFX issues.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I have no idea how good or bad this is but the first thought I did have was that the major story lately has been about how the VFX has been rushed and subpar and its been rumored Marvel wanted to slow down their schedule in part to improve on that stuff and a change with the person in charge of that stuff seems like it could be connected.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I have no idea how good or bad this is but the first thought I did have was that the major story lately has been about how the VFX has been rushed and subpar and its been rumored Marvel wanted to slow down their schedule in part to improve on that stuff and a change with the person in charge of that stuff seems like it could be connected.

I'm pretty sure those leaks were true.

They announced several movie delays recently and the entire upcoming MCU Disney+ catalogue had their release dates removed and just changed to "Coming Soon!" this weekend.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

site posted:

Disney has finally learned that if you go woke, you go broke. Getting rid of the women is the first step towards bringing prosperity back to the white man #comicsgate

If she was behind the vfx people getting treated like poo poo I’m glad she’s gone

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

CelticPredator posted:

If she was behind the vfx people getting treated like poo poo I’m glad she’s gone

I agree. We'll probably never hear the real story, but hopefully, she's more than a scapegoat.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Allegedly, she cut her teeth on Disney animation. Disney's animation department had a long period of uninterrupted hits and the process they used on all of them was to spend months reiterating every single shot over and over to make it as perfect as can be. She reportedly brought that same kind of style to live-action movies where they were constantly redoing the shots over and over. Disney animation was all done by Disney employees whose only job was working on those movies. Modern CGI is done by outside studios who work on tons of projects at once. So, the constant iteration and changes required a lot of work and often left them scrambling with unfinished stuff because they had to redo it 2 months before release while working on multiple projects and dealing with Covid.

At the same time, basically every CGI studio said that it was like that with every major movie studio, but it really exploded during the pandemic. So, you have some evidence that she was partly responsible for a lot of the last-minute changes and huge amounts of time and effort being put in by CGI studios who were not Disney/Marvel employees and had other projects to work. But, it was also reportedly happening everywhere (Marvel was just the largest single contractor and especially egregious with constant reiterations), so it wasn't something that was entirely on her and will still exist even without her.

Seems like parting ways with her and the mass delaying of every major MCU project and much longer post-production periods are a clear reorienting trend. But, you can't really tell from the outside and that could just be connecting two random dots. We probably won't know the real situation unless someone at Variety gets a leak and dishes.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Disney contracts out its VFX so it wasn’t fully under her control. The industry will continue to suck with a lack of a union.