Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

distortion park posted:

I like the idea but the implementation looks a lot like "civ buy prehistoric". Like I don't think a game about that period should have an explicit tech tree

Fire
I
I
I
I
I
Future Tech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I was a bit surprised to see Distant Worlds 2 is getting a small mini-DLC. I guess Paradox's success with Stellaris has found a willing copy-cat?

That said, this little species pack includes the Dhayut, an old favorite of mine from the first game, so of course I'll be getting it. Was just taken aback to see another space 4x going down the Stellaris-route of endless DLC. I guess if something works, why stop? :v:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I legit don't know why you would be surprised; even when people soured on the model, the DLCs still kept selling and the studios still kept supporting the games. Negative reviews are not going to stop them, actual and effectual loss in sales will. For my part, I do like the DLC model and the ongoing support because they've legit managed to keep these games on a surprisingly long lifespan and mostly kept them very interesting with every major iteration.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I'm also surprised but otoh I'm fine with race packs that don't have actual mechanical changes hidden in them mostly because I don't have to buy it until I get tired of the base factions

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I think I spent something like $185 on distant worlds 1 stuff and then they dropped all of it as distant worlds universe which I think was $40 and could go on sale.
F.y.i distant worlds one works best on top of the line single core CPU's and I think it ran worse on 3700x vs I5 2500k

As far as distant worlds 2 I'm looking forward to Dhayut it was in my top 3 of the original factions and can play totally different. Fastest hyperdrive special tech, slavery bonus, very low war weariness

Some others that I look forward to are;
Quameno: genius research frogs, best reactor
Ugnari: best targeting
Atuuk: highest happiness and breeding
Naxxilian: used to have some of the best ground troops T-Rex troops weren't #1 but they were cheap and if you make tons of good troop transports and maybe some empty decoy ones you can just take over heavily defended planets without even bringing other kinds of ships or destroying the star port.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 14, 2023

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Libluini posted:

I was a bit surprised to see Distant Worlds 2 is getting a small mini-DLC. I guess Paradox's success with Stellaris has found a willing copy-cat?

That said, this little species pack includes the Dhayut, an old favorite of mine from the first game, so of course I'll be getting it. Was just taken aback to see another space 4x going down the Stellaris-route of endless DLC. I guess if something works, why stop? :v:

DW1 had so goddamn many expansion packs, if anything Stellaris is knocking it off. I'm kinda hoping they keep going the same way with adding insane poo poo post-release

i waited way too long to try out DW2, I'm not sure exactly what the difference is but this poo poo is relaxing as hell to just let run in the background and occasionally come back to fiddle with. like a fishtank where the tetras shoot lasers.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 14, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Warhammer 40K: Gladius - Relics of War is free on Epic this week. Is it any good?

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.

Orange Devil posted:

Warhammer 40K: Gladius - Relics of War is free on Epic this week. Is it any good?
It's worth at least installing it for a test game or two if you're into hex-based wargames. Probably one of the better 40K games out there, which is why there's so much DLC for it. The balance can be kind of wacky sometimes and the (optional) story quests can feel like they ambush you with massive armies, but the core of the game is pretty fun. Don't go in expecting a huge economy management element though, the cities are basically just unit production/research facilities.

I had a pretty fun game as Necrons where I had about two thirds of the map but the rest, which was Tyranid controlled, was seperated from me by only a two-hex bottleneck. So I basically just fortified the hell out of it and did the story quests to win, while constantly getting assaulted by huge monsters and flyers.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Gladius is cool and good. It's basically a turn based RTS. You build your base, churn out troops and send them off to fight. That's it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I slept on Gladius for a long time but was actually pretty impressed when I picked it up. It manages to boil down a lot of modern civ-like mechanics while still retaining the interesting parts, with a more complicated and interesting combat system.

There's some weird parts to it, with some similar issues to BFG-Armada where unit stats are a direct rip from warhammer tabletop for reasons. Also the hero system is both important and feels kinda vestigial which is weird.

Still, it's a decent 4x game that you can actually sit down and finish a multiplayer session of, which is nice.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I like Gladius well enough. Very simple and straightforward. Keep getting owned by Orks though.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Be warned that it's all Raging Barbarians, all the time. If you send a unit off to scout alone, it's going to die, period.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Kazzah posted:

Be warned that it's all Raging Barbarians, all the time. If you send a unit off to scout alone, it's going to die, period.

Yup and that applies even on the lowest barbarian setting. I like Gladius but you know that problem some strategic games can have where you try all these different world/difficulty settings and it feels like you can't find a satisfying combination? The maps are too small, and too big at the same time, the barbarians are both overwhelming and almost irrelevant, the research is both too fast and too slow, it's really odd. Good game though it just never hit its potential.

If you're into Warhammer 40k then it's worth playing just for being set after the year 41k, and having some of the new lore stuff going on.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 17, 2023

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
in addition there's no diplomacy, alliances, that kind of thing... which, i mean its warhammer, whaddaya expect. but if you're expecting to have options other than KILL EVERYONE this isn't it.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Is this where I want to go for the latest version of that Eador mod?

http://eador.com/B2/viewtopic.php?t=4697

I just want to make sure I'm not downloading malware.exe, especially since I found this through a series of links on the game's Steam forum.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Quixzlizx posted:

Is this where I want to go for the latest version of that Eador mod?

http://eador.com/B2/viewtopic.php?t=4697

I just want to make sure I'm not downloading malware.exe, especially since I found this through a series of links on the game's Steam forum.

Yes. And you don't even need to install it. Just download, extract, and run the .exe.

There are a few settings you can tweak in config file.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
Any trip report about Interstellar Space: Genesis?
I'm tempted to buy the whole bundle with base game + expansions but lookin' at its steam page seems to me a bland MoO clone.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Knightsoul posted:

I'm tempted to buy the whole bundle with base game + expansions but lookin' at its steam page seems to me a bland MoO clone.

I like the "building capacity=size of planet" thing. And the return of sliders is welcome for planetary spending. The tech cost doubling for each tech after the first you research in each level is a neat compromise. But ultimately I would rather go for Stars in Shadow if I was going for a MOO successor.

Admittedly this was without the last expansion, it sounds neat. If you do get it give us a trip report.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Knightsoul posted:

It's the blandest MOO clone.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 18, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are there literally ANY other 4X games with a focus on characters and story akin to Alpha Centauri and Endless Space/Legend?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Gladius technically has quest-plots for every faction with writing for every quest step. Pandora, Gladius' predecessor, definitely aimed to be an Alpha Centauri successor and had a plot that would unfold every game. But any fiction writing it might have had wasn't memorable enough for me to recall it.

Maybe Total War: Warhammer...? A lot of focus on the Legendary Lords as characters, and the story campaign modes have plot.

Distant Worlds 1 had faction-based plots, galactic history to uncover, and an endgame story plot that would unfold. But no characters at all really.

Terra Invicta has pretty good writing for its faction plots, imo, and they are partly driven by the headline characters for each faction. But its more of a grand strategy than a 4x.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Jack Trades posted:

Are there literally ANY other 4X games with a focus on characters and story akin to Alpha Centauri and Endless Space/Legend?

I can’t promise anything but maybe Imperium Galactica (2) series and Haegemonia: Legions of Iron.

I gotta dust off my decades old memories to remember if they’re any good- but the latter is currently under a buck on the steam sale and the former under $3

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Old World has a focus on characters as in there is a Crusader Kings-lite mechanic about your empire's dynasty and a healthy amount of events relating to them. Furthermore, it's just a really good game.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Nothing has writing like SMAC and I'm not sure anything even tries for the same sort of progressive world changing around you, Age of Wonders 3 has a lot of RPG hero mechanics and unique one-off units and PvE stuff going on so kinda-sorta fits if you squint

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 18, 2023

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Haegemonia is a 4X, yes. An unconventional one, but a 4X none-the-less. The campaign de-emphasises 4X elements, but skirmish games are absolutely 4X games.

I loved that game, jank and all.

e: Should have quoted you, ha, now this looks out of context after your edit

my dad fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 18, 2023

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Huh, haegemonia got a 2014 android port. Wonder if it still works

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Huh, haegemonia got a 2014 android port. Wonder if it still works

Considering that the last time I tried to play it the steam version consistently crashed at the end of the first music track, I doubt it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

While we're on the subject on 4X games that do something unique.

Are there any other games that have a playable faction similar to Umbral Choir from Endless Space 2?
It's sort of a parasitic faction that can't expand by themselves but they expand on top of other empires instead, leeching off their resources.
It's a really cool concept I've never seen before or since.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It's not a good example, but the "harvesters" from Master of Orion 3: The Bad One were sort of like that. Sadly the game's migration systems and the like made the big bad guys more into an unmanageable nuisance.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Jack Trades posted:

While we're on the subject on 4X games that do something unique.

Are there any other games that have a playable faction similar to Umbral Choir from Endless Space 2?
It's sort of a parasitic faction that can't expand by themselves but they expand on top of other empires instead, leeching off their resources.
It's a really cool concept I've never seen before or since.

Sort of the Megacorps/criminal syndicates from Stellaris. They can expand normally, at a penalty compared to other empires, but can also expand into other empire's worlds. Megacorps need permission to do so and are sometimes beneficial, criminal syndicates don't need permission and are straight up parasitic.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i was debating mentioning Stellaris Megacorps. The issue there is they wussed out; the penalties for being a Megacorp are minor and corporate expansion ends up being a secondary part of your empire. They mostly just play like regular factions.

Star Ruler 2 might rate an honorable mention. Many of its races have large differences in their economic systems that lead to very different vibes and altered decisions. Like the faction that lives purely in space, they still colonize planets but all their construction is done on motherships and all the population lives in satellites (that can get blown up by enemy ships, lol.) Or a dlc race that converts planet resources into goo to feed their digital utopia. They all still participate in the planet race tho.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Star ruler 2 is always a good choice, and it's free (without music) if you go to the open source code. It's real time but the races are all different and have their own ways to play. And the different ftl makes things so enjoyable. One thing that never will not be fun is the fling beacons, want to overcome some hard defense or barrier? Fling a fortress that is just massive with tons of defense and weapons straight into the heart of the enemy empire and let it lay waste. Make a fling beacon and sling all the planets you need into your central systems, and have a wall of emptiness around you to limit the ability for people to attack you.

Blow up the central black hole and watch the galaxy die.

Space ruler 2 deserved so much more then it got, and it's still a travesty that it got ignored by everyone in the press. It's goon made and the devs detailed so much as they developed and fixed a ton of issues from the og star ruler to make it less obtuse and grognard.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Star ruler 2 deserved so much more then it got, and it's still a travesty that it got ignored by everyone in the press. It's goon made and the devs detailed so much as they developed and fixed a ton of issues from the og star ruler to make it less obtuse and grognard.

:hai: I'm so extremely bitter about that, Star Ruler 2 loving ruled

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Squiggle posted:

:hai: I'm so extremely bitter about that, Star Ruler 2 loving ruled

My primary gripe is that ship design is so tedious that it encourages following the same tech path every time so you at least know when you can load your saved templates. But drive-bys with missile or laser fleets on stronger enemy systems will never not be great fun. Just pass through at speed, then jump home to resupply and do it again.

Then make a task force of a few level 5 planets with planetary thrusters, full complements of defense sattelites, and and a few starbases in orbit.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Once again I advocate that if every space game deleted their ship designer it would immediately be a better game.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
The funny part is the first game (take this with a grain of salt it's been goddamn years since I played it) didn't have a ship builder like 2. Instead you just put stuff in the ship and the main component was the ship size. Which could be whatever your imagination was because building it was another story. Everything in the games scales based on the size. So making a system destroying base literally was just based on you setting the ship size to be star size. Then somehow building the thing which may infact be impossible.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

orangelex44 posted:

Once again I advocate that if every space game deleted their ship designer it would immediately be a better game.

unit designers are accidentally exposed dev tools, change my mind

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I can imagine a lot of space games without ship design, but the idea of the original Master of Orion without ship design makes die inside.

Keep your filthy Stellarus and GalCiv empire builders and Endless Space combat systems.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Ship designers owned in MOO2 bc of the tactical turn based combat and feel superfluous in any game where the combat is glorified autoresolve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

orangelex44 posted: