Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Drakenel posted:

Grunty's rapping career was tragically ended early by the philistines of spiral mountain.

Sadly in this era rap just wasn't that popular; it got crushed by rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

No I shan't, to rhyme I'll dare,
Your threats can't stop the bird and bear! :v:

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

For me, the interconnectedness between levels is the best part! Once I realized that most levels have gates to other levels, that blew me away as a kid. I never expected a platform game to do that. And it makes for some really clever setups.

Different strokes, of course, but as a kid especially, I also didn't expect to even be able to solve everything immediately. Maybe a boss would kick my rear end, so I'd come back later with more health. Or different ammo types. Maybe I couldn't solve a puzzle so I'd go "you know what, I'll figure that out later". Maybe I would just wander through levels to enjoy the music, trying to find areas I hadn't yet to tick off the last jiggies. Backtracking and replaying was just extremely normal to me, and I think expecting to be able to 100% everything on the first go is a bit of a fallacy - it's like the compulsion to immediately do a no-kill full-stealth run of Dishonored or Metal Gear Solid or Hitman. Just because you know the game makes it possible to do so and you want to find out how! Now! Instead of first learning the mechanics and going with the flow. I am not immune to this, by the way, it's a tough challenge in game desing for sure.

This is how I feel about it, honestly. The interconnectedness makes it feel like an actual world you're exploring, underscored by the Isle O' Hags.

Is Tooie perhaps a bit overambitious with some of its Jiggies? Like, say, fixing the pigs' pool in Jolly Roger's Lagoon? Absolutely. But I'd rather play a sequel that tries to be more ambitious or do things differently.

Tooie's QoL improvements also make it easier to go back to than Kazooie imo, which I found out when I played the former most of the way through on Gamepass Ultimate on pc (you can actually do this although at the time connecting to the cloud streaming was a bit dodgy) and then introduced a nibling to Kazooie on Switch and was like "wow yeah ok this is sure a thing." Watching them die with like, 90 notes and have to collect them all again hurt big time.

Anyway, excited to watch how this one unfolds!

edit: mirotic that's not how you do spoilers on the forums

Mirotic fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 19, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Someone's been using Discord too much. Spoiler tags don't work that way here. I've caught myself making that mistake a couple of times.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I liked the connectedness of everything, but it feels like you could have cut the scale of a lot of it in half and not lost anything.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Dabir posted:

Someone's been using Discord too much. Spoiler tags don't work that way here. I've caught myself making that mistake a couple of times.

It's not my fault I spend way too much time on the goon feh discord!! anyway, edited.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Tooie is basically a prototype open world game from before that concept had a fleshed out identity. To give a timeliness reference to where everything was, Toole came out a year before gta III. This probably had a lot to do with why the general opinion on it mildly soured over time:

at release this big open connected world was a huge deal, fairly unique, and novel. Now the general impression of another open world game is oh God, not another one.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I'm gonna bring this up in like, the second level but there's a really good video on Goldeneye that basically makes the point that although it's obviously an FPS, it uses a bunch of mechanics from stealth games to augment the feeling of being like James Bond; sneaking around enemies, destroying alarms, but getting caught and then having a big firefight break out and whatnot. The argument I would make is that Tooie is doing the same thing with Metroidvanias to augment the collectathon, although to a less successful degree.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
+1 for liking the interconnectivity of the worlds in Tooie. It makes the Isle O' Hags feel like an actual place, even if the layout of everything in relation to everything else makes no sense, in a way that the discrete levels in Kazooie didn't. I do agree though that the game gets pretty buck with having to do stuff in a few different worlds in order to collect some Jiggies.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Simply Simon posted:

For me, the interconnectedness between levels is the best part! Once I realized that most levels have gates to other levels, that blew me away as a kid. I never expected a platform game to do that. And it makes for some really clever setups.

Different strokes, of course, but as a kid especially, I also didn't expect to even be able to solve everything immediately. Maybe a boss would kick my rear end, so I'd come back later with more health. Or different ammo types. Maybe I couldn't solve a puzzle so I'd go "you know what, I'll figure that out later". Maybe I would just wander through levels to enjoy the music, trying to find areas I hadn't yet to tick off the last jiggies. Backtracking and replaying was just extremely normal to me, and I think expecting to be able to 100% everything on the first go is a bit of a fallacy - it's like the compulsion to immediately do a no-kill full-stealth run of Dishonored or Metal Gear Solid or Hitman. Just because you know the game makes it possible to do so and you want to find out how! Now! Instead of first learning the mechanics and going with the flow. I am not immune to this, by the way, it's a tough challenge in game desing for sure.

So I actually agree with like 90% of this in that doing this as a kid was awesome.

Young me would get one game every like 3-4 months so being able to just slowly explore and clear everything out ruled.

And I think it's the same reason that Tooie just didn't age as well as Kazooie did to me. As an adult I want to clear a level and move on because I'm perfectly capable of doing a 100% no kill stealth run on my first attempt (Literally what i did on my only run through Dishonored).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Natural 20 posted:

So I actually agree with like 90% of this in that doing this as a kid was awesome.

Young me would get one game every like 3-4 months so being able to just slowly explore and clear everything out ruled.

And I think it's the same reason that Tooie just didn't age as well as Kazooie did to me. As an adult I want to clear a level and move on because I'm perfectly capable of doing a 100% no kill stealth run on my first attempt (Literally what i did on my only run through Dishonored).
I tried doing that on my first run through Dishonored and got super burned out from all the reloading and "oh why did that guy see me argh", only making it to like the third level. I picked the game back up again later to show it to my wife, and she actually broke me out of the all stealth no kills immediately mindset by telling me to just shoot the guys, or at least accept a detection and put them to sleep after running away. It's imo a much more fun way to play the game, and so I finished it, and later replayed it, both alone and with her. I never did a full stealth run and I'm fine with that.

Same story for Deus Ex Human Revolution. I did finish my first no kill run (no stealth tho) but it took forever, then I was much more relaxed playing it with her, and then I replayed it twice more to get the all stealth and no alarms achievements.

Maybe I just suck at stealth games. Anyway, a general difference between me and other players, and that's totally fair, is that I replay games a lot, and that changes the approach obviously. Hell, I'd replay Tooie right now if I wasn't already replaying Metroid Prime (Remastered, granted), and Dishonored 2 (with my wife! It's a replay for her too).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

With Dishonored I did 90% all stealth no kills but would kill if I absolutely needed to because gently caress this poo poo.

I was more relaxed early on but ended up more no-kill once I got skills that enabled me to basically spiderman from high and zip people back there and just build enormous piles of unconscious people on the roof. But yeah, to enjoy Dishonored I did have to learn to accept the occasional necessary throat-slash.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
I just noticed that the spiritual successor to the Banjo series, Yooka Laylee is currently only $4 in the Steam Spring Sale.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Yooka-Laylee is certainly very much a Banjo Kazooie/Tooie game, with all that implies. The Not-DKC sequel is the better game, but I still enjoyed what YL did.

And yeah, the conspicuous lack of a ledge grab in BK was a pain. (I still can't believe Argate got the Rusty Bucket Bay witch switch so easily.)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
agrate's a legend is how

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Gonna be a little early with updates for the rest of the month I think because I'm posting from Japan so I'm 13 hours ahead of my usual time zone. :v:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Ooooh look at you travelling the world! Have a great time!

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
So, I never played these games when I was a kid. But seeing that first person aiming is giving me star fox adventures PTSD, and now I'm sad for you.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm not a Fire Emblem Person, but I like that Rare just used the FE level up sound each time JamJars gets done teaching you a move.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I really like how many different things they came up with for you to do with the giant statue. Open a door, make a small hole in another, break a rock, be tall and invulnerable, and destroy the shooty things for good measure; it's cool.

In contrast, the "shoot flies, okay here's a jiggy" is so basic it seems like a holdover from the first game and sticks out in the lack of complexity. And they made an NPC for it! Always feels weird to me.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's a tutorial for your new precision aiming move, it's fine that it's basic.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
The first time you use a Mumbo pad, you can see the Glowbo jump out of his bag and run away while he does the spell. No Glowbos are harmed in this game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Oh man, cutting it right there but leaving in the noise for the animation was just cruel

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Dabir posted:

It's a tutorial for your new precision aiming move, it's fine that it's basic.
The tutorial for the "bird wield" is a whole-rear end temple

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Oh man, cutting it right there but leaving in the noise for the animation was just cruel

I think the soundtrack rip I got for this game was recorded directly from the game, I've noticed a lot of sound effects in the rip in other places.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

I think the soundtrack rip I got for this game was recorded directly from the game, I've noticed a lot of sound effects in the rip in other places.

Slightly interesting fact...even though you saw that the left sacred chamber opened first, the one Banjo enters first is always the slightly sacred chamber.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Destructible cover isn't exactly a new innovation by the folks at Rare. It was first seen in 1978, in a little-known game called, er, Space Invaders.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It's kind of funny to see the boss actually engaged with. At this point I've just grabbed the golden eggs and circle strafed opposite his rotation and just shredded him almost instantly. Which is the best way to fight him even without the golden eggs because he literally can't hit you if your not in his face.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Yeah - and then there was the way Humba was represented in Nuts and Bolts that was also very insensitive... Although I can believe, Rare being British, that they were genuinely innocent in that respect. But here... Yeah, it ain't good.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Samovar posted:

Yeah - and then there was the way Humba was represented in Nuts and Bolts that was also very insensitive... Although I can believe, Rare being British, that they were genuinely innocent in that respect. But here... Yeah, it ain't good.

It's not really a culture we are exposed to outside old stereotypes in the media, I imagine Rare's knowledge comes from TV shows like Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman which did air here.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I can see why people say this is less fun than Kazooie. Feels like it's suffering from game mode bloat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dabir posted:

I can see why people say this is less fun than Kazooie. Feels like it's suffering from game mode bloat.

Honestly, in my mind this is the worst and dullest of the levels. It's a boring space that's half tutorials.

There's other stages that are more frustrating, but this one's just a nothingburger.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 28, 2023

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Eh, I would happily play more of Mayaham Temple if it meant we didn't have Levels 5 or 6. The real problem with Tooie is that it's a game of extremes. The good levels are better than anything in Kazooie, and the bad ones are way, *way* worse.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Samovar posted:

She also caught a lot of flak at the time for how sexualized her design is to boot, and some general writing that many people feel is misogynistic as well as racist.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Artix posted:

Eh, I would happily play more of Mayaham Temple if it meant we didn't have Levels 5 or 6. The real problem with Tooie is that it's a game of extremes. The good levels are better than anything in Kazooie, and the bad ones are way, *way* worse.

6 definitely has lots of problems but I can’t really think of what’s wrong with 5. It’s mostly secondhand but I also think Level 4 has huge problems.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume numberwise we're talking

1. Mayhem Temple
  2. Glitter Gulch Mine
  3. Witchyworld
  4. Jolly Roger's Lagoon
  5. Terrydactyland
  6. Grunty Industries
  7. Hailfire Peaks
  8. Cloud Cuckooland

AweStriker posted:

It’s mostly secondhand but I also think Level 4 has huge problems.

Maybe but the charm defeats the problems for me.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I will say the music in this level got repetitive after a while.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Level 3 is just plain excellent though and 8 is a level I wouldn't trade for anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I will say the music in this level got repetitive after a while.

Eekum bokum eekum bokum eekum bokum inyo up