Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

No Wave posted:

(despite [DMC5] being obviously the best action game ever obviously)
bit of a tangent but hi-fi rush completely stole that spot for me. what a game :allears:

(e) that said i rate DMC5 pretty low anyway 'cause playing as V sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Convince me to play this game I bought? I got instantly hooked when I tried Shadow of Mordor and played straight through the campaign without getting distracted and moving on to something else, which is very rare for me. (Steam achievement showcase says 18% completion rate, for what that's worth.) I then played the DLC a little bit, didn't finish it, but moved on feeling very satisfied with that game. So I got Shadow of War expecting Shadow of Moredor and it basically seems to be exactly that, but for some reason it just didn't work for me. About 9 hours in, I abandoned it. That was years ago. Now I'm trying to go through a backlog and after consistently seeing all the praise that game gets, I decided to give it another shot.

It's been too long since I played and jumping in to my save is not going to work. I'm going to start a new game, but from messing around in it, I'm remembering a few things. Skill trees in games these days tend to just give me choice paralysis until I play something else, or I look up a build guide, which feels a little like looking up the solution to a puzzle game, like what's the point? I don't know if this game is about builds so much as unlocking the more useful skills earlier, but either way, reading the descriptions, my vision doubles and I have no idea what kind of character I want to play. I also realized that combat feels kind of tedious with more than a handful of opponents, and I'd like to more easily disengage and avoid encounters. Beyond that, though, I don't know what to look for on that tree. Any key skills to grab early? Just to get me going.

I know, it sure sounds like I just don't like the game and should remove this 100 gig monstrosity from my steam deck, but I really liked the first one, and I want to see this improved nemesis system everybody's all so jazzed about. So, one more shot, new game, what sort of things are there to look out for to keep me engaged? Stuff that's particularly cool? Anything?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

skeletronics posted:

Convince me to play this game I bought? I got instantly hooked when I tried Shadow of Mordor and played straight through the campaign without getting distracted and moving on to something else, which is very rare for me. (Steam achievement showcase says 18% completion rate, for what that's worth.) I then played the DLC a little bit, didn't finish it, but moved on feeling very satisfied with that game. So I got Shadow of War expecting Shadow of Moredor and it basically seems to be exactly that, but for some reason it just didn't work for me. About 9 hours in, I abandoned it. That was years ago. Now I'm trying to go through a backlog and after consistently seeing all the praise that game gets, I decided to give it another shot.

It's been too long since I played and jumping in to my save is not going to work. I'm going to start a new game, but from messing around in it, I'm remembering a few things. Skill trees in games these days tend to just give me choice paralysis until I play something else, or I look up a build guide, which feels a little like looking up the solution to a puzzle game, like what's the point? I don't know if this game is about builds so much as unlocking the more useful skills earlier, but either way, reading the descriptions, my vision doubles and I have no idea what kind of character I want to play. I also realized that combat feels kind of tedious with more than a handful of opponents, and I'd like to more easily disengage and avoid encounters. Beyond that, though, I don't know what to look for on that tree. Any key skills to grab early? Just to get me going.

I know, it sure sounds like I just don't like the game and should remove this 100 gig monstrosity from my steam deck, but I really liked the first one, and I want to see this improved nemesis system everybody's all so jazzed about. So, one more shot, new game, what sort of things are there to look out for to keep me engaged? Stuff that's particularly cool? Anything?

just delete it, not worth it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

skeletronics posted:

Shadow of War is a fantastic game, even more so if you liked Shadow of Mordor.
I'm not quite sure what you dislike about it but I guess I can give you some pointers.

Builds don't matter until the end-game. You don't need to care about your gear much, just switch to whatever had bigger number.
You can occasionally find some fun effects but it's really not necessary until you get the ability to collect tribal suits.

When it comes to the skills, start by unlocking all the big skills, it won't take very long. Get the small skill augments only when you see something particularly interesting there.

One of the early skills that the game makes you unlock right away lets you run really fast if you click in the left stick, you can easily disengage from any fight using it. (as long as you're not playing on Gravewalker difficulty for some reason)

Shadow of War is a bit slow to start, since they have added a ton of new mechanics they really want to spend their time introducing them, so I'm assuming that you haven't gotten to the second map yet, so I'm going to give you a little mechanical spoiler that game doesn't want you to know but it might make it easier for you to get going if you do.
Just like that one early fight in the beginning of Shadow of Mordor, the first area in Shadow of War has a bunch of strong orcs that are meant to kill you if you try to fight them. The idea is to give you unfair matches where you will die and have memorable nemesii for when you return to that area again.
If it annoys you, try to run away if you ever get in a fight with a lvl 10+ orc in that first area.

EDIT: The nemesis system is seriously expanded upon in Shadow of War (together with pretty much everything else). I've done 4 complete playthroughs of the game and on my last playthrough I was still discovering orcs archetypes and interactions that I have never seen before. It's crazy.

I'd play that game even more if not for the story missions. They're unfortunately only good once (but even then, they are much MUCH better implemented into the rest of the game than in Shadow of Mordor).

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 18, 2023

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Does anyone have any opinions about modern Stellaris? I played it as release and it was a perfectly competent 4X game with the usual problem that the early-game is the most exciting part. I've heard since then it's gone over multiple re-designs of the basic gameplay and Paradox have done the usual thing of multiple DLCs for it. Is it a better game now?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pierson posted:

Does anyone have any opinions about modern Stellaris? I played it as release and it was a perfectly competent 4X game with the usual problem that the early-game is the most exciting part. I've heard since then it's gone over multiple re-designs of the basic gameplay and Paradox have done the usual thing of multiple DLCs for it. Is it a better game now?

It's so much better now.
They had some development early on but then at some point they split the developers into "make dlc" and "fix the game" teams and the latter in particular have done a fantastic job on practically every aspect of the game.

I pretty sure it's a common sentiment among Stellaris players in general too, and not just me.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Had the same thought myself, so I tried it out about a week or two ago.

It's a better game now, but you still have to work to make everything past the early game interesting except for the very specific "press button to stir things up" events, a lot of which are in DLC anyway.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There's a bunch of mid-game things that can happen which make it a lot less static than it was on release. The clans and the invaders from another galaxy or whatever. I'd say it's real good for one playthrough (which can be like 20 hours depending on your playstyle).

I've been returning to Stellaris every year or two with a new dlc and the game feels totally fresh every time. The UI certainly has improved.

One counterpoint is that a lot of the more hardcore 4x players are unhappy with the endgame meta and the AI. I'm a total casual so I haven't really noticed that stuff but its probably there.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The AI has been improved MASSIVELY in the last few big patches.
It's actually challenging now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

so is shadow of war supposed to be setting off windows defender...?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The Nemesis system is more intricate than anyone expected.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ciaphas posted:

so is shadow of war supposed to be setting off windows defender...?

It didn't last time I played it in, oh wow, 2021

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'd say odds are extremely high it's a false positive and it'll scan normally a week from now.

Defender is good enough, but not 100% perfect in all situations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kennel posted:

The Nemesis system is more intricate than anyone expected.

:golfclap:

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Pizza Tower is so good but I dunno if I have the chops for P ranks.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

The Postman posted:

Pizza Tower is so good but I dunno if I have the chops for P ranks.

Either the Steam Deck dpad is not made for precision platformers or I just don't have it in me either.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Trucker Hat posted:

Either the Steam Deck dpad is not made for precision platformers or I just don't have it in me either.

I definitely have a harder time with quick turns and the boost jump on my Deck, but even on keyboard I find myself dropping combos on levels I'm familiar with. Still a really fun game though. Maybe once I finish it I'll spend some time replaying for better ranks.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

anyone have any idea why my add to cart and add to wishlist etc are now just text links?

there was like some steam updater little window when i started it this morning and restarting steam/computer has changed nothing, weird stuff like like annoys me :argh:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

PlushCow posted:

anyone have any idea why my add to cart and add to wishlist etc are now just text links?

there was like some steam updater little window when i started it this morning and restarting steam/computer has changed nothing, weird stuff like like annoys me :argh:

Does it happen in the client or the store page on a browser or both?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

HopperUK posted:

only the client

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

HopperUK posted:

ok going into Steam client's settings and Web Broswer then Delete Web Browser Data fixed it. Weird. :shrug:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Postman posted:

I definitely have a harder time with quick turns and the boost jump on my Deck, but even on keyboard I find myself dropping combos on levels I'm familiar with. Still a really fun game though. Maybe once I finish it I'll spend some time replaying for better ranks.

There are control settings to bind boost jump to a different button, I really recommend it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

PlushCow posted:

ok going into Steam client's settings and Web Broswer then Delete Web Browser Data fixed it. Weird. :shrug:

The client is so weird sometimes

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Trucker Hat posted:

It's certainly not the best D-Pad I've used, but it works well enough IME. It's a little mushier than an 8BitDo controller, but it's better than a 360 pad (or the millions of imitators) by a country mile imo.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Shadow of War never stuck for me when I tried on PS4 but the definitive edition was $5 on GMG, so gently caress it, I'll give it another shot.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Shadow of Mordor was a comparatively tight open world game with a fun gimmick. Shadow of War takes that basic framework and multiplies everything, because more is more. I personally found it to be exhausting because of that. Sure, there are improvements a plenty, but there's also tons of cruft and everything felt slightly less enjoyable overall. By the end I had zero motivation to keep playing through the bonus end game stuff.

I liked the more focused DLC campaigns better.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's been a looong time since I've played , IIRC I kind of want to rush story missions through the first area so I can unlock the good orc poo poo, right?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

goferchan posted:

It's been a looong time since I've played , IIRC I kind of want to rush story missions through the first area so I can unlock the good orc poo poo, right?

Yes. First area only introduces you to basics of their brand of Arkham combat and the RPG mechanics.
Second area introduces you to actual good poo poo with the branding and orc politics and fort battles.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Amid Evil's Black Labyrinth expansion is on track for a summer release; also they're releasing the original game in VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZW5Q9DSOCs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK6s0Pn5MDM

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I just watched a youtube video about Spaceborne 2 and it looks kind of amazing. It's like a totally janky indie early access version of Starfield made by one person.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

There are control settings to bind boost jump to a different button, I really recommend it.

Thanks for this!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ori and the Blind Forest had its base price set to 5 two years ago in most stores including Steam. With this sale they set the price back to 20 on Steam, but nowhere else. Weird

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm enjoying Mordor but the movement drives me crazy. It feels like I'm offering suggestions for what my character should do as opposed to controlling my character.

Netrunner
Aug 31, 2019

Sininu posted:

Ori and the Blind Forest had its base price set to 5 two years ago in most stores including Steam. With this sale they set the price back to 20 on Steam, but nowhere else. Weird

The base price is $20 on Xbox, Switch and GOG. If you were seeing a $5 price before the sale was that not because you are eligible for an upgrade from the original version before the Definitive release?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Netrunner posted:

The base price is $20 on Xbox, Switch and GOG. If you were seeing a $5 price before the sale was that not because you are eligible for an upgrade from the original version before the Definitive release?
No, it's not an upgrade
Check a look at the price history

Even Microsoft store had its base price adjusted to 5, it also looks like they adjusted it back to 20 last month alongside Steam and GMG.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 19, 2023

Netrunner
Aug 31, 2019

Sininu posted:

No, it's not an upgrade
Check a look at the price history

Even Microsoft store had its base price adjusted to 5

That’s very weird. I remember it being on sale for $4.99 each time I looked and didn’t see it go any lower. If the base price was $4.99 the whole time wouldn’t sales have pushed it lower?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Netrunner posted:

That’s very weird. I remember it being on sale for $4.99 each time I looked and didn’t see it go any lower. If the base price was $4.99 the whole time wouldn’t sales have pushed it lower?

Yeah it had sales of like 20% off on some key resellers, but it didn't go on sale on Steam during the time it was 5.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i'd forgot all about Brûz in the years since last playing Shadow of War. i love this large dude :allears::smith:

goferchan posted:

I'm enjoying Mordor but the movement drives me crazy. It feels like I'm offering suggestions for what my character should do as opposed to controlling my character.
yeah it's a little irritating sometimes, but imo the usually-smooth parkour & climbing make up for it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bruz gets the fort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Shadow of War owns cause you get the ability to fly fuckin dragons pretty drat quick.