Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

renessia
Mar 25, 2020

everybody's big sister

HopperUK posted:

Bifauxnen's post touches on something I wasn't sure how to say which is that if you're not in the hobby, it's hard to explain how life-consuming and emotional and high-stakes online RP can feel. In my early 20s I used to get *way* too sucked into similar online spaces, and there are good reasons I don't join those kinds of games any more.

Yeah. This incident has been a dark cloud hanging over our heads ever since it happened. It's hard to understate just how far this stuff can suck you in and hurt you when it goes wrong.

Glad to finally have some closure. Props to Pod for acknowledging their missteps, and thanks to Docbeard for letting us say our piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Jesus loving Christ, took me a while to write that up and in the meantime both Pod and peramene posted?! Hoo boy catch up with y'all in a bit

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i can't believe i made a point in sagas discussion about "hey we maybe shouldn't go hunting down people's posts to find out the weird opinions they used to have in order to own them" and then this guy's post history includes "how do i make i sexy animal roleplaying more inclusive"

i'm so conflicted ngl lmao
imo it should be allowed if its relevant to the current bad opinion they're posting and its funny, which both the huniecam post and the petplay post meet

edit:

lmfao

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

What in the name of gently caress did I just read

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

i appreciate this post, it's thoughtful and tries to explain things in reasonable detail and, well, reasonably

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
High-stakes online RP? What in the world lmfao

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

HopperUK posted:

Bifauxnen's post touches on something I wasn't sure how to say which is that if you're not in the hobby, it's hard to explain how life-consuming and emotional and high-stakes online RP can feel. In my early 20s I used to get *way* too sucked into similar online spaces, and there are good reasons I don't join those kinds of games any more.

first description I saw of this said it was 'high investment' and that people were regulaly spending hours a day RPing on just this one thing, much of it with just one or two other people and yeah that's just an incredible amount of time to put into something. idk how people would even manage that without ending up extremely over-invested. It seems like a recipe for disaster. I don't say that to be judgemental or a dick or anything, just that seems like something that is going to be hard to handle for literally anyone.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

peramene posted:

I want to be absolutely clear about this, because I see that this is already devolving into the same inane nonsense it devolved into last time Bees tried this on my discord server.

I ran Riven. Podima assisted, often kicking and screaming, to make my dream a reality. It was, largely, still a tremendous failure.

He is not responsible. I am the OP on the forum thread. I am the owner of the discord server. (idiots)

Conflating these two games and hiding my ownership of Riven was willfully manipulative, of the exact sort of character I have come to expect from Bees et al.

oh hey, thanks. you're loving late. you started off with a misrepresentation that better served your narrative, and now you're walking it back. anything else you want to clarify?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

lmfao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

That Little Demon posted:

Oh so no one else finds it weird that podima is good enough friends with the pet play riven rapist to run games together where they magically rape and piss on players and lock them away in secret rooms where no one knows whats going on and "they know best" and have sex dolls of the players and yet... and yet...

SOMEHOW HE WAS MADE AN ADMIN? It look 3 loving seconds to look at the post history and connect the dots here

But yeah, Larry and Synthy are the menace of the forums... right?

look. it sa bsolutely impossible to filter out mods/admins who are so hosed up and insane that announcing them immediately reveals multiple instnaces of absolutely psychotic behavior known to multiple people. trust the process. each admin is hand vetted by a crack team and if they dont find it no one can.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
well, this was a wild ride. Thanks docbeard for opening up discussion.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

American McGay posted:

High-stakes online RP? What in the world lmfao

That's the thing, it isn't high stakes at all but it *feels* high stakes. It's really hosed up.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Stop giving admin roles to people on the basis that they seem very meticulous, then at most vetting them by asking their own friends or the other admins about them. Most people who get excited about the prospect of running things are severely hosed up and shun common sense in the name of keeping the cogs spinning the way they envisioned.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
There are such loving freaks and weirdos who run this site man

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah. Its high stakes in the same way a D&D game feels high stakes, except a D&D game only really exists while its being scheduled. In an open area where the "game" is effectively never over, and its up to the user in question to decide when they've had their fill for the day, and people in their friend circle might still be playing where they aren't . . .

Its basically to D&D what an MMO is to a video game, so it isn't my surprise that they're at serious risk of hitting the same issues in people.

very nice i like
Jan 8, 2020

I CANT RESIST SHITTING UP THE BIG BOOBS THREAD WITH MY RANDOM FUCKING MONKEY CHEESE BULLSHIT! IF YOU SEE ME, FUCK ME UP.

HopperUK posted:

That's the thing, it isn't high stakes at all but it *feels* high stakes. It's really hosed up.

Listen I don't care if someone is wheelchair bound and chained to a beam in their basement or whatever other reason goons give for attaching their entire being to online activity, this is outside of reality and not healthy lol like come on

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
kinda seems like in the wrong hands the line between game and cult can start to get blurry

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lady Radia posted:

not tryna be negative, honestly, i agree this was pretty rapid all things considered. but ffs. an iota of communication between the admins and community before the decision was Handed Down from On High would have saved all this effort and concern, and been better for the folks involved to boot. how many times do we have to relearn this lesson

Ideally we should be having this happen before final confirmation and promotion happens yeah. I think it would be hugely worthwhile, and this thread kinda proves that it can be done sensibly.

Anyway, what we've just seen was an IK made an independent judgement call to head off an imminent problem of not having a public discussion even though the ultimate authority had closed the first thread. Then an admin came by, admitted he didn't know what the gently caress was going on and solicited information and help from the community. The community, both users and moderators, came together to provide mostly salient contextual information with relatively little poo poo posting, and the issue was solved. All in one night.

I feel like it's progress.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I still can't fully process that this involved the sequel to myst of all things at least to some degree like wtf

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

very nice i like posted:

Listen I don't care if someone is wheelchair bound and chained to a beam in their basement or whatever other reason goons give for attaching their entire being to online activity, this is outside of reality and not healthy lol like come on

Yeah that's what I was trying to say, it is super unhealthy and a very bad scene.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hey guys I’ve been playing Okami. What did I miss

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

very nice i like posted:

its not healthy but its easy for peoples brains to get tricked into unhealthy behaviors

especially if you have a social circle not only encouraging you to participate but using language that makes participating feel like a moral good

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yeah and if you're online enough to get sucked into this stuff, it's possible that it will become basically your only social outlet and these are your main friend group and disconnecting feels hard. ...it is actually a bit like a cult now I think about it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

one entire adminhood

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Play Minecraft to cook some raw fish

Because it smells really nasty
Kill some mobs before

you get on their plate
so you don't get to feel the pain
And then you craft and mine and dig
to gain experience points ya
And then you strike to
get raw pork from pigs
it has no end but it's
still the best game
It's the
Eye of the spider
it's poison in one bite
oh look out, I'm an excellent fighter
The creepers and the zombies
other mobs of the night
spiders give you some string and the eye
of the spider
Never eat the rotten flesh
it makes you starve in the night
Tame a wolf and train it to play fetch
just don't hit it if you want to survive
It's the
Eye of the spider
it's poison in one bite
other mobs of the night
of the spider
Don't fall into the void
it's so odd
when it comes to your days
they're the last ones
Israphel he's no evil game mod
just the villain of the great Yogscast
It's the
Eye of the spider
it's poison in one bite
other mobs of the night
of the spider
The eye of the spider
The eye of the spider
The eye of the spider
The eye of the spider

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Herstory Begins Now posted:

first description I saw of this said it was 'high investment' and that people were regulaly spending hours a day RPing on just this one thing, much of it with just one or two other people and yeah that's just an incredible amount of time to put into something. idk how people would even manage that without ending up extremely over-invested. It seems like a recipe for disaster. I don't say that to be judgemental or a dick or anything, just that seems like something that is going to be hard to handle for literally anyone.

These kinds of games and spaces are ripe for drama and heartache for exactly those reasons, especially if you're someone who's prone to fixating on things. Like other posters have said, it can seriously consume your life and hurt your mental health.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i have wanted a remaster of Riven for a while but im not sure about the direction the new writers seem to be taking it

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

American McGay posted:

Kill some mobs before

you get on their plate
And then you strike to
get raw pork from pigs
it has no end but it's
still the best game
It's the
Eye of the spider
it's poison in one bite
other mobs of the night
of the spider
It's the
Eye of the spider
it's poison in one bite
other mobs of the night
of the spider
Don't fall into the void
it's so odd
they're the last ones
It's the
Eye of the spider
it's poison in one bite
other mobs of the night
of the spider
The eye of the spider
The eye of the spider
The eye of the spider
The eye of the spider

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

One or two posters seem to be confused so I think it's important to reiterate that all of this stuff appears to have taken place offsite. There's nothing in Podima's post history about it, as far as I know.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

American McGay posted:

Kill some mobs before

you get on their plate
And then you strike to
get raw pork from pigs
it has no end but it's
still the best game
It's the
Eye of the spider
it's poison in one bite
other mobs of the night
of the spider
It's the
Eye of the spider
it's poison in one bite
other mobs of the night
of the spider
Don't fall into the void
it's so odd
they're the last ones
It's the
Eye of the spider
it's poison in one bite
other mobs of the night
of the spider
The eye of the spider
The eye of the spider
The eye of the spider
The eye of the spider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7B-bafgD9Y&t=125s

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Leperflesh posted:

One or two posters seem to be confused so I think it's important to reiterate that all of this stuff appears to have taken place offsite. There's nothing in Podima's post history about it, as far as I know.

loving and? it was a TG recruited game and the other people involved were posters here.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Fluffdaddy posted:

Thanks for the explanation yall, sincerely. This is all foreign to me, as far as the RP. The consent and what people signed up for is what I can understand and is the crux of all of this.

Also know that of course there are 9000 private conversations because we also want to respect the privacy of people who have information and don't want to be known publicly.

I appreciate all of you involved who came forward both publicly and privately.

What!? 9000?!?!?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

loving and? it was a TG recruited game and the other people involved were posters here.

And someone in this thread was saying the admins or jeffrey should have known about this. I am saying there's no way they could have known about this unless someone came forward with it, like happened today. Or if Podima had volunteered it.

There's this idea that jeff needs to do background checks on potential admins. Maybe asking publicly "hey should this person be an admin" should happen, sure. But just looking at post history obviously doesn't turn up things that took place offsite.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I don't know what's more insane about this: the fact that a rape fantasy was made based on myst 2 of all things, or that some guy came kramering in seemingly angry at not getting credit for it

very nice i like
Jan 8, 2020

I CANT RESIST SHITTING UP THE BIG BOOBS THREAD WITH MY RANDOM FUCKING MONKEY CHEESE BULLSHIT! IF YOU SEE ME, FUCK ME UP.

Endorph posted:

its not healthy but its easy for peoples brains to get tricked into unhealthy behaviors

especially if you have a social circle not only encouraging you to participate but using language that makes participating feel like a moral good

Yes and this kind of insane person basically called the shots on this website for 2 years which really puts things into perspective considering another one of them was made an admin

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

renessia posted:

This was Pod's response to some folks expressing concern over how the sex-doll game was being handled.

:ohno:

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

I don't know what's more insane about this: the fact that a rape fantasy was made based on myst 2 of all things, or that some guy came kramering in seemingly angry at not getting credit for it

Was more of a kool-aid-manning imo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Did someone say high-stakes forums RP??? Brother check this poo poo out. Doesn't get any higher stakes than this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jyv6ql1jfM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWeZ01TNjSI

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Thanks and good job bees for posting this. Its nice to have some sort of closure on this finally.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
This is obviously disturbing to find out. Maybe SA needs a way to deal with extreme offsite misbehavior on the part of the mod team, or perhaps even non-mods if it's extreme enough? Obviously, the SAD model of public shaming would work but the issue here is this accuser* clearly did not feel empowered to mention this when they were an IK and later a Mod. Now, is this because of an issue with previous Trad Games mods would not have listened? That sounds plausible, considering what I know of the TG moderation team as it was composed until recently. Also, I think in the distant past generally the site as a whole didn't want to import offsite drama** but this may show that may not be working.

And yes, I think offsite behavior is perfectly germane to whether someone should be considered to be part of the community management here.

*I do not use the word "accuser" to in any way minimize or doubt the claims. I have not read the accusations outside of what's here because I don't really think I've got that bandwith this second. I believe them, even though it shocks me.
**I do not use the word "drama" to in any way minimize that this is serious. "Offsite drama" is just the neologism, which I am using specifically because it's a concept we hear about sometimes. This goes beyond "drama" in the typical internet sense, and is a serious harm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Leperflesh posted:

There's this idea that jeff needs to do background checks on potential admins. Maybe asking publicly "hey should this person be an admin" should happen, sure. But just looking at post history obviously doesn't turn up things that took place offsite.

nobody seriously thinks jeff needs to hire a private investigator, enough with the hyperbole. talking to the community at all would have prevented this.