Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

hello. I'm probably going to permanently lose my account over this, but podima is probably not a good choice for an admin. they shouldn't even be a mod but he was well liked and spent months doing damage control so I didn't feel like stirring the pot.

on some of the games that they helped host and run, they have:

specifically designed the games so that people are forbidden from discussing for sharing concerns with one another because it "spoil the plot' and created situations where staff can't be held accountable for anything that happens. in doing so they basically go against every safety and community guideline for pretty much every modern RP community.

included themes of sexual assault without warning anyone, despite the game's numerous other content warnings, because " it would be a spoiler and threaten the sanctity of the game"

conducted an extended torture scene of a player done incredibly fetishistically, without the consent or knowledge of other players present in the game, and created a running joke in the community to make fun of people who were uncomfortable

has repeatedly refused to ban sexual assault and rape from games, but also refused to warn for such content, because in his eyes writers should be able to include content without limits. in doing so, he completely ignores the safety and comfort of players

this kind of person shouldn't be responsible for moderating the content of a forum game, much less the content of a forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Since it's pretty clear that public discussion of these accusations is inevitable, I'm going to open this thread so that it's in one place rather than 50.

Please keep any conversation about these allegations against Podima confined to this thread.

Hopefully this gets resolved, one way or another, fast.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

everythingWasBees posted:

hello. I'm probably going to permanently lose my account over this, but podima is probably not a good choice for an admin. they shouldn't even be a mod but he was well liked and spent months doing damage control so I didn't feel like stirring the pot.

on some of the games that they helped host and run, they have:

specifically designed the games so that people are forbidden from discussing for sharing concerns with one another because it "spoil the plot' and created situations where staff can't be held accountable for anything that happens. in doing so they basically go against every safety and community guideline for pretty much every modern RP community.

included themes of sexual assault without warning anyone, despite the game's numerous other content warnings, because " it would be a spoiler and threaten the sanctity of the game"

conducted an extended torture scene of a player done incredibly fetishistically, without the consent or knowledge of other players present in the game, and created a running joke in the community to make fun of people who were uncomfortable

has repeatedly refused to ban sexual assault and rape from games, but also refused to warn for such content, because in his eyes writers should be able to include content without limits. in doing so, he completely ignores the safety and comfort of players

this kind of person shouldn't be responsible for moderating the content of a forum game, much less the content of a forum.

Was this stuff done on the forums or on Discord? It is gross either way, but at least we can have links if it was on SA.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
It sounds like it was a Discord RPG.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Peachfart posted:

Was this stuff done on the forums or on Discord? It is gross either way, but at least we can have links if it was on SA.

recruitment was done on the forums for each and all the games were done on discords.

because any ooc chat about the games was against the rules, people never really knew what was going on until afterwards when they compared notes, or if they were already talking with friends and debating leaving.

because it was all on discord, a lot of people just wanted to wash their hands of it and not speak of it again. pod was just an ik and it wasn't on the forums directly and practice over the past few years has always been to ignore that kind of stuff.

genuinely only bringing it up because he was made an admin.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 19, 2023

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

edit: oh nevermind i was writing my post but the one above disproved it lol, disregard

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Hope this isn't gonna be ignored under the pretense of being "offsite" drama.

It'd be great if you (or anyone) had receipts.

E: But I do think several people coming forth pretty much independently should be enough to make a decision.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

recruitment was done on the forums for each and all the games were done on discords.

because any ooc chat about the games was against the rules, people never really knew what was going on until afterwards when they compared notes, or if they were already talking with friends and debating leaving.
was it a game where the players weren't all together seeing each other's scenes? like a werewolf game or something where the person running the game would do one on one RP with someone and the players had to solve some kind of mystery relating to each other?

If the dude was using that to spring weird sex stuff on people, that seems very much like taking advantage of the game's format to be a creep.

renessia
Mar 25, 2020

everybody's big sister

Endorph posted:

was it a game where the players weren't all together seeing each other's scenes? like a werewolf game or something where the person running the game would do one on one RP with someone and the players had to solve some kind of mystery relating to each other?

If the dude was using that to spring weird sex stuff on people, that seems very much like taking advantage of the game's format to be a creep.

That's precisely what happened. (I was in one of said games)

edit: reread what you wrote, sorry, it wasn't just GM + player 1-on-1 scenes, but there was a lot of spreading out players and keeping everyone in the dark.

renessia fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 19, 2023

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Endorph posted:

Yes, these are games where not everyone is seeing everything that is going on.

I feel like opening this with extremely incomplete information isn't going to be particularly helpful.

Full disclosure: I'm a member of that same community--which, yes, is on Discord--and I was a player in these same games, though I was not directly involved in any of the incidents listed, and I would like to wholeheartedly disagree with much of the framing that's presented here--though I'm naturally wordy and this is going to warrant more explanation than a single sentence.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Podima I liked playing forums BSG with you but this poo poo is inexcusable and horrible.

Also to be very clear to people who don’t know how safety systems in roleplaying work, the allegations are basically “no we’re not going to respect others boundaries or fun” in a huge pile of red flags which are then mobilized for the actual sex creep part. (I was not a participant this is just hosed)

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

sounds extremely hosed up op. unfortunately the baby blowjob guy is still a mod so good luck with this

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
The torture stuff happened during the playing of the Riven megagame, which you can find a link for here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851229

The worst stuff did happen off site though. I’ll see if I can find anything, but I imagine that I’ve been removed from any discords that have any specific receipts. I can say, though, that in the second game where bad stuff happened, I was assigned this character to play: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iqACiju_RoJtYaluMgI1ZSOzkZOtlT-AcX4KrtD0EW8/edit

Despite offering complaints in discord about the sexual violence of the character’s backstory, I was told to ignore the concerns and at the time I believed that was the best course of action, despite later events (as described above) leading me to regret that decision.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol what on earth

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

because it was all on discord, a lot of people just wanted to wash their hands of it and not speak of it again. pod was just an ik and it wasn't on the forums directly and practice over the past few years has always been to ignore that kind of stuff.

genuinely only bringing it up because he was made an admin.

Normally I don't think Discord should be a deciding factor on anything on the forums... but this stuff sounds pretty creepy, so probably not a good idea to have them be an admin.

Specifically the above points:

Are both super creepy and weird and should probably disqualify someone from being an admin.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

there would be like 20 separate areas that players could move to each night. you could only see what happened that day. there would be dozens of days and it would be structured with secret roles like werewolf.

things like the torture scene or " this player has sex dolls of two of the other players. it's a core part of the plot that we can't spoil" were only revealed after the game.

I left the game I was in on bad terms for different reasons, but then when talking to others a bunch of this stuff spilled out when we actually compared to notes.

this is all like forum rp drama and it feels silly to bring up except podima was the moderator for the forum rp subforum. managing this was his responsibility, but he also directly ran some of these games

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 19, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meinberg posted:

The torture stuff happened during the playing of the Riven megagame, which you can find a link for here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851229

The worst stuff did happen off site though. I’ll see if I can find anything, but I imagine that I’ve been removed from any discords that have any specific receipts. I can say, though, that in the second game where bad stuff happened, I was assigned this character to play: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iqACiju_RoJtYaluMgI1ZSOzkZOtlT-AcX4KrtD0EW8/edit

Despite offering complaints in discord about the sexual violence of the character’s backstory, I was told to ignore the concerns and at the time I believed that was the best course of action, despite later events (as described above) leading me to regret that decision.
Okay, so, let me get this clear. Podima advertised for a Discord game of some variety on these forums, you joined. You were given a character with a giant backstory about sexual assault without your input (by Podima?) You were told (by Podima?) to ignore your discomfort with this. The fact that anything like this would be a part of the game was not mentioned to you before you joined. Is this correct?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

there would be like 20 separate areas that players could move to each night. you could only see what happened that day. there would be dozens of days and it would be structured with secret roles like werewolf.

things like the torture scene or " this player has sex dolls of two of the other players. it's a core part of the plot that we can't spoil" were only revealed after the game.

I left the game I was in on bad terms for different reasons, but then when talking to others a bunch of this stuff spilled out when we actually compared to notes.

this is all like forum rp drama and it feels silly to bring up except podima was the moderator for the forum rp subforum. managing this was his responsibility, but he also directly ran some of these games

:bighow:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This seems all pretty bad. Permaban and we'll be on our way.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Frankly this all should have been aired much earlier, and that ignoring the part that Podima was already a mod.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
why was there rape in a riven roleplay

renessia
Mar 25, 2020

everybody's big sister

qnqnx posted:

Frankly this all should have been aired much earlier, and that ignoring the part that Podima was already a mod.

It was aired and summarily ignored.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Meinberg posted:

Was it Podima specifically that wrote up a 18 pages of backstory about an evil autistic kid who builds sex robots of his female roommates because they won't return his advances? and then assigned it to you?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

renessia posted:

It was aired and summarily ignored.

Where? I didn’t see anything in Trad Games (the forum he modded), QCS, or here.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lmfao cool

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Arivia posted:

Where? I didn’t see anything in Trad Games (the forum he modded), QCS, or here.

Yes if you can show me where please.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Endorph posted:

Okay, so, let me get this clear. Podima advertised for a Discord game of some variety on these forums, you joined. You were given a character with a giant backstory about sexual assault without your input (by Podima?) You were told (by Podima?) to ignore your discomfort with this. The fact that anything like this would be a part of the game was not mentioned to you before you joined. Is this correct?

correct

WarpDogs posted:

Was it Podima specifically that wrote up a 18 pages of backstory about an evil autistic kid who builds sex robots of his female roommates because they won't return his advances? and then assigned it to you?

Podima did not write the characters. He simply refused any edits from their original writeups, which were designed for a game of much shorter length and presumably one with some manner of safety tools and ideally content notes about the sexual content. Said game was one he had played in and thought was cool.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iqACiju_RoJtYaluMgI1ZSOzkZOtlT-AcX4KrtD0EW8/edit posted:

When your housemates came down to the breakfast table, you were there waiting for them. You told them what you had become, and you called up the Machine World so that they could see it. They were stunned and a bit frightened, which was not surprising, because demiurges had done so many bad things and had such a bad reputation. But they were also very supportive. They said that they knew you were a good person, not a monster, and that they had faith that you would find a way to use your powers in a good and constructive way.

As a grand finale, you showed them the Dolls.

Look! I made a mechanical version of you, and of you, and of you. They are all clockwork, underneath the skin. You can open them up and see it. See? They talk like you and act like you, in a lot of ways. But I can understand them, because they are just machines, and not unpredictable like real people are unpredictable. They will be my girlfriends. I designed them that way. Now I do not have to be sad that I am alone, and you do not have to be sad that I want something from you that you cannot give me. We can all have what we want. We can be happy friends, with no awkwardness between us.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

What in God's name

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

WarpDogs posted:

he " edited and rewrote it to remove some of the more potentially problematic content"
it was based off of a larp that was run at a few conventions. some of us talked to players and it turned out that this specific game repeatedly had a lot of problems and concerns about this stuff which was ignored.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

These are referencing the same incident, in the game IMG--Infinite Magic Glories, which is a LARP adapted to the Discord format--and since it might be in question, was not written by Podima, or by anyone in the community. Characters are prewritten, and there's a casting process--which does include trigger warnings about what people feel comfortable dealing with in the course of the game--there is a lot of drama between characters, and there's a lot of themes that the game attempts to explore and discuss.

Meinberg posted:

This was, indeed, the character that was referenced. The--accidentally hit post, so I'm going to be locked out of writing even more for ten minutes.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Arrhythmia posted:

If we did title changes in this forum this would be a good one

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Arrhythmia posted:

You are asking a lot of good questions... first let me start of by asking YOU a question - Why is there Multiple Sex Dolls of Posters in the Riven Roleplay

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meinberg posted:

correct

Podima did not write the characters. He simply refused any edits from their original writeups, which were designed for a game of much shorter length and presumably one with some manner of safety tools and ideally content notes about the sexual content. Said game was one he had played in and thought was cool.
Okay, so, when you asked to like, tweak your character's backstory, which contained this paragraph

quote:

Look! I made a mechanical version of you, and of you, and of you. They are all clockwork, underneath the skin. You can open them up and see it. See? They talk like you and act like you, in a lot of ways. But I can understand them, because they are just machines, and not unpredictable like real people are unpredictable. They will be my girlfriends.

Podima got mad at you and refused to let you change any of it.

Because that's pretty loving weird.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

:stonklol:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Why do you keep making sex perverts admins

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

jeffrey spinning the wheel on the price is right to select an admin but all the slots just say SEX FREAK or PEDOPHILE

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

For every good thing (sagas reopening) there must be a bad thing (making a rape fetish guy an admin)

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
my scouter has exploded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

he " edited and rewrote it to remove some of the more potentially problematic content"
it was based off of a larp that was run at a few conventions. some of us talked to players and it turned out that this specific game repeatedly had a lot of problems and concerns about this stuff which was ignored.

Was this your character? I am trying to grasp the entirety of what's happening here because I don't know about RP.

My biggest question is:

That Little Demon posted:

You are asking a lot of good questions... first let me start of by asking YOU a question - Why is there Multiple Sex Dolls of Posters in the Riven Roleplay

How did this get past the "let's get rid of the problematic content" phase?