Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, we're very clearly out of decades on a bunch of different issues right now

obamaishly: "Cope."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Al! posted:

i recently saw the mall i grew up with in an episode of "dead malls"

hey I got one of those too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9tVb5ke4g8

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
seeing those dead mall videos is kind of a knee to the inner child

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1636234611436003328?s=20

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

hes the leader of france whats the worst that could happen

hold up

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

but they're saying rents are going down any day now :confused:

haha cant cut it making near six figures? jfc.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
learn to code they said
work from home they said

just not whos home

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Mirthless posted:

homeless people existing, restaurant workers taking their breaks, panhandlers being where the rich people are

edit: these "streets of..." videos never cease to fuckin amaze me, like people have never been in the actual city part of a city before so they've gotta whip out their phone and record such shocking scenes of urban decay as... a group of black people in street clothes, walking. People in coats... smoking!!

just for awareness this is not a normal "city part of a city," it's kensington & allegheny avenues, more colloquially referred to as k&a, and it's the heroin capital of the us where now people do fentanyl and the stuff is laced with a veterinary sedative that rots peoples' flesh

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

triple sulk posted:

just for awareness this is not a normal "city part of a city," it's kensington & allegheny avenues, more colloquially referred to as k&a, and it's the heroin capital of the us where now people do fentanyl and the stuff is laced with a veterinary sedative that rots peoples' flesh

future with flying cars? shoulda been born chinese, buddy

we get the krokodil-like epidemics of post ussr russia

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

triple sulk posted:

no one on fent is gonna be able to hurt you they're too busy passing out while standing up or dying

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

triple sulk posted:

oh that's where it is? never went up kensington. ive only been around kensington and gerard ave.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Maed posted:

no one on fent is gonna be able to hurt you they're too busy passing out while standing up or dying

sure but it isn't just some area with more than average numbers of homeless people either

it's sad and the mayor does fuckall about it because he sucks rear end

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

When I worked for a school district my office was in an adult ed building and it was a running joke that ESL students would be confused by and sometimes outright scared of our lovely, leaning above-ground power lines. These were mostly students who were either refugees or people coming from some of the poorest parts of their countries.

it was like a rite of passage for new esl teachers to eventually get someone asking why all the power lines here look like they're about to fall down

yah I asked in taiwan "what do you do when the power goes out" and they were like uh, goes out?

i'm from tornado country

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Radirot posted:

oh that's where it is? never went up kensington. ive only been around kensington and gerard ave.

yeah. the market-frankford line also stops there which makes it even easier to get to

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Antonymous posted:

yah I asked in taiwan "what do you do when the power goes out" and they were like uh, goes out?

lol gently caress

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I live about fifteen minutes from this place lol

It really isn't a "Pittsburgh Icon", it was built in the 1980s and it's actual useful lifespan was like twenty years.

Apr 7, 2003

That dipshit mall had a real heyday of like ten years. It was on the decline when I moved here in 1999.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1637307126451249153?s=20

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Don't think I saw this posted here yet. The FHA's now saying that 40-year mortgages are cool and good. Gotta keep that bubble inflating!

https://www.wptv.com/money/real-estate-news/federal-housing-administration-greenlights-40-year-mortgages

Apr 7, 2003

lol Nissans are trash

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

It's just a 25% increase in price, I'm not sure what the problem is. Most things increase in price by 25% every couple of years.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Kreeblah posted:

Don't think I saw this posted here yet. The FHA's now saying that 40-year mortgages are cool and good. Gotta keep that bubble inflating!

https://www.wptv.com/money/real-estate-news/federal-housing-administration-greenlights-40-year-mortgages

this was posted already and apparently it only applies to people being foreclosed on to escape foreclosure or something

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Kreeblah posted:

"Bankrate.com recently compared 30- and 40-year mortgages and found on a $312,000 loan at 6.85% interest, the monthly payments were $2,044 for 30 years and $1,904 for 40 years."

The difference for a person is less than $150 per payment. The bank will make an additional $170,000.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

E: oh wrong thread oh well

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
i need a bank
im holding out for a bank til the morning light
its gotta be strong, and its gotta be stable
and its gotta be larger than life

Apr 7, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

The difference for a person is less than $150 per payment. The bank will make an additional $170,000.

40 year loans soon to be standard in the US

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Some people got $900 mortgages, others gotta pay $2100 in rent. You can't explain it!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

40 year loans soon to be standard in the US

they're gonna have to reverse trends on average life expectancy if they want average folks to pay off their mortgage they want you paying rent directly to the bank

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

If Biden wanted the appearance of a return to normalcy, why not cap things at 2019 costs?

Apr 7, 2003

Delta-Wye posted:

they're gonna have to reverse trends on average life expectancy if they want average folks to pay off their mortgage they want you paying rent directly to the bank

No one pays off their mortgages, American homeowners move every eight years on average. That isn't even long enough to amortize the closing costs.

That's why house costs have to keep going up up up to the moon forever, if they don't the average American climbing the property ladder loses money.

Apr 7, 2003

I'm doing double principle payments on my mortgage to pay it off by 2026 and I got poo poo on in this very thread by someone for doing that instead of putting the extra $700/mo into "investments"

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

I'm doing double principle payments on my mortgage to pay it off by 2026 and I got poo poo on in this very thread by someone for doing that instead of putting the extra $700/mo into "investments"

At a ~6% guaranteed risk-free return given current mortgage rates, paying things off faster can actually make good sense.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

super sweet best pal posted:

If Biden wanted the appearance of a return to normalcy, why not cap things at 2019 costs?

Nixon did price caps and something something that's the fact, Jack

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
price caps

but just for labor costs

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

oh that’s r/personalfinance speaking up again

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I sold mortgages for a very bad six months and it was enough to convince me to have a fifteen year term. I’m the only one I know my age who went that route.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Delta-Wye posted:

price caps

but just for labor costs

"Ooop, well there's just some teeny tiny rampant inflation, sorry ya'll have to pay 25% more for rent and food and gas"

"Does that mean I get a 25% raise?"

"Oh well if we did that, we would have to lower your salary when prices go down now and you wouldn't want that would you hahahaha...."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

You know I was wondering when the logistics and utility people would start getting pissed off enough to do things like this. I guess now we know.

Never piss off your infrastructure & engineering people to the point where they start turning things off or pulling things out.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Willa Rogers posted:

wait till that hangover when you wake up to find that nothing has changed, lol.

not true. there wont be any more boomers alive. that'll be pretty good

Willa Rogers posted:

"can't wait till my world is run by dead-eyed psychos like kamala harris & pete buttigieg instead of those jerk boomers!"

kamala won't ever run anything. pete is a psycho but he's on our side (meaning Dems. you leftists don't really matter) and eviscerates conservatives very well. he has my vote tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
pete is on nobody's side