Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

HopperUK posted:

Yeah and if you're online enough to get sucked into this stuff, it's possible that it will become basically your only social outlet and these are your main friend group and disconnecting feels hard. ...it is actually a bit like a cult now I think about it

Not to be rude but I don't think those people should be in charge of children, let alone adults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Content warning checklist
:d: Depression: check
:d: Suicide: check
:d: Neurodiversity: check
:d: Robot sex doll girlfriends based on other player characters:

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Leperflesh posted:

And someone in this thread was saying the admins or jeffrey should have known about this. I am saying there's no way they could have known about this unless someone came forward with it, like happened today. Or if Podima had volunteered it.

There's this idea that jeff needs to do background checks on potential admins. Maybe asking publicly "hey should this person be an admin" should happen, sure. But just looking at post history obviously doesn't turn up things that took place offsite.

Leperflesh posted:

And someone in this thread was saying the admins or jeffrey should have known about this. I am saying there's no way they could have known about this unless someone came forward with it, like happened today. Or if Podima had volunteered it.

Gee loving whiz it’s almost like you should ask the community before making someone a mod or admin?? Stop acting like a helpless loving moron about these things. It’s been 20 years and you all continue down the same path of doing this every time and this is the only loving forum where there is a high percent chance a new mod or admin is a goddamn freak and it’s 100% on the admin and mod team for not soliciting feedback from the forums beforehand. Learn your goddamn lesson for once.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

I need to step away from this and have someone explain it to me later when the Sagas thread exists again

I need boomer terminology for this one, like "I'm totally gobsmackered on this one, it's a doozy" there is no other way to describe it

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Leperflesh posted:

There's this idea that jeff needs to do background checks on potential admins. Maybe asking publicly "hey should this person be an admin" should happen, sure. But just looking at post history obviously doesn't turn up things that took place offsite.

leperflesh i like you but literally all anyone is asking for is community input on this poo poo because yes you all should have known because you should have been involved with the community in this decision. jesus loving christ.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

aaaaaAAAAAAAHHHHHH

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

WWAOOOOAAAAHAAAAAAAAHHHH!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

nobody seriously thinks jeff needs to hire a private investigator, enough with the hyperbole. talking to the community at all would have prevented this.

if only podima had had cancer and tried to fund raise ont he forums, jeff wouldve been more thorough in his investigation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Staluigi posted:

I need to step away from this and have someone explain it to me later when the Sagas thread exists again

I need boomer terminology for this one, like "I'm totally gobsmackered on this one, it's a doozy" there is no other way to describe it

someone made a discord rp for riven 2 the sequel for myst and then inserted a bunch of weird sex stuff without running it by the players and then they and their friends were like 'wow you guys are kinda harshing the vibe' when people called it weird

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

this could have been avoided if jeffrey made a thread listing his possible admin choices and letting the community voice any concerns about them which would have led to podima's behavior being pointed out before he got the red star and embarassing jeffrey

rox
Sep 7, 2016

peramene posted:

I want to be absolutely clear about this, because I see that this is already devolving into the same inane nonsense it devolved into last time Bees tried this on my discord server.

I ran Riven. Podima assisted, often kicking and screaming, to make my dream a reality. It was, largely, still a tremendous failure.

He is not responsible. I am the OP on the forum thread. I am the owner of the discord server. (idiots)

Conflating these two games and hiding my ownership of Riven was willfully manipulative, of the exact sort of character I have come to expect from Bees et al.

oh hey, thanks. you're loving late. you started off with a misrepresentation that better served your narrative, and now you're walking it back. anything else you want to clarify?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHneG5YSuxY

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Staluigi posted:

I put on my robe and wizard hat. But non-consensually.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Lmfao

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

lol

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Leperflesh posted:

Lady Radia posted:

leperflesh i like you but literally all anyone is asking for is community input on this poo poo because yes you all should have known because you should have been involved with the community in this decision. jesus loving christ.

Leperflesh posted:

Maybe asking publicly "hey should this person be an admin" should happen, sure.

I don't think the two of you are very far apart in this issue.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

sweet geek swag posted:

I don't think the two of you are very far apart in this issue.
im sorry im actually super pissed that after i sarcastically talked about how the admins were definitely gonna try to say "Well there was no way we could have known" leperflesh came in and said "Well there was no way we could have known". gently caress's sake. oh my god.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Lady Radia posted:

im sorry im actually super pissed that after i sarcastically talked about how the admins were definitely gonna try to say "Well there was no way we could have known" leperflesh came in and said "Well there was no way we could have known". gently caress's sake. oh my god.

Leperflesh isn't an admin tho he's posting as a poster.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

Yeah that's a reasonable suggestion. I don't know if it'd turn into like a popularity contest or election campaigns or something, but if it's what needs to be done so that things like this get reported in advance, maybe that's for the best. I heard they've been soliciting community input into mod selections over in one of the politics forums lately, sounds like that's working OK.

Magnetic North posted:

Now, is this because of an issue with previous Trad Games mods would not have listened? That sounds plausible, considering what I know of the TG moderation team as it was composed until recently. Also, I think in the distant past generally the site as a whole didn't want to import offsite drama** but this may show that may not be working.

I am given to understand this stuff happened in (one game) 2018, and (the other) 2020/21. I was a mod of TG starting in late 2020. The previous mod had been missing from the site for months at that point. So there was certainly a gap around that time, which is unfortunate. And I barely knew what the gently caress I was doing at first, I don't think I know these posters in question well or at all, so I can understand if anyone didn't feel comfortable coming to me about it immediately.

One of the reason the site needs a good list of admins though is so that if anyone feels uncomfortable talking to a moderator of their forum (or if there just isn't one), they have a list of admins they can go to and hopefully at least one or two they trust. I agree that while importing offsite drama into threads has been awful in the past and still probably needs to be restricted, discussing offsite stuff via PMs, with site staff should be on the table, especially when the behavior is egregious or harmful.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Fluffdaddy posted:

His point was invalid no matter what hat he was wearing. The admins could have known if they had announced the choice and asked for feedback before going through.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

SOMEHOW HE WAS MADE AN ADMIN? It look 3 loving seconds to look at the post history and connect the dots here

Perhaps I misunderstood this.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I can't speak for LF, but I presume he's feeling this from the same angle I am: someone who had no idea any of this was going on, besides a vague awareness that the Mafia people had invented some sort of new always-on competitive(?) RPG with insanely convoluted rules that seemed like a massive time sink for everyone involved, but seemed to also have a lot of community enthusiasm. I'm completely mortified by it, honestly -- as other people have already mentioned, games with that much commitment expected more or less always have some unhealthy stuff going on, so I really should have known -- but it's very hard to tell the difference between "this looks crazy but everyone's having fun so okay I guess?" and "this is actual bad craziness." It's a huge argument for public vetting of admins, and even of mods, because I would have liked to know about this before co-modding with Podima!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
imagining someone clicking this thread and realizing they are going have to cancel their Syberia RP

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Fluffdaddy posted:

ok what are your thoughts tho? i understand you are not Jeffrey and this puts you in a bad spot but like. come on lol. thank you for handling poo poo quickly too and all just! you know, you didn't HAVE to be reactive here!!

i like Leperflesh but like, what mods do and dont see in the mod forum vs. what goes on behind the admin forum vs. what us plebs are allowed to see from y'all is a black box to me.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah that's a reasonable suggestion. I don't know if it'd turn into like a popularity contest or election campaigns or something, but if it's what needs to be done so that things like this get reported in advance, maybe that's for the best. I heard they've been soliciting community input into mod selections over in one of the politics forums lately, sounds like that's working OK.
like a thread a week ago that's just Jeffrey or a red star going "hey we're considering giving these 3 red stars, what does the community think"

if the thread becomes people saying "make woozy admin" or whatever then yeah that's nbd and you know you have 3 dece picks

but if the thread instead becomes poo poo like this thread now you caught an issue BEFORE it happened. like there seems to be this concern CONSISTENTLY from admins that the community needs to be handled and maintained lest we Get Out of Control.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Fluffdaddy posted:

Yes but it's not unconnected either. He's the mod of the subforum Podima was IK-ing and presumably has something to do with their modding. Quote from when they were modded. In the quote, they say that it was agreed upon by TG mods and admins, so presumably he had something to do with this elevation. Once elevated to mod, presumably Jeffrey took from the list of existing mods and the rest is history.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

It's milkshake admin, the adorable new admin who drinks milkshakes!

Edit: we have terrible news about the admin

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Picking an admin should be like electing a new pope or subway spokesperson

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

No reason to be super mad about all this, but it does show that the community should vet positions. If a mod if being made for a particular forum, ask the forum. If an admin is being made, ask SAD and make an announcement if you want.
This is all fairly simple.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Leperflesh posted:

Perhaps I misunderstood this.
I was wondering whom you meant by "one or two posters" being confused.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I have been kinda absent during the admin hunt due to rl work so the people picked got a perfunctory yea that's cool from me.

For me personally I was fine with mostly whomever because I am burned out and need help. All of us are.

I have a few hard nos as far as people are concerned but that's the extent of what I've been able to put effort into

All of what just hapoened frustrates me because we admins have worked hard to be active despite being stretched thin and this incident takes us backwards in our efforts.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

post the nos :doit:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Not selling me on joining goon discords here

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Fluffdaddy posted:

I have been kinda absent during the admin hunt due to rl work so the people picked got a perfunctory yea that's cool from me.

For me personally I was fine with mostly whomever because I am burned out and need help. All of us are.

I have a few hard nos as far as people are concerned but that's the extent of what I've been able to put effort into

All of what just hapoened frustrates me because we admins have worked hard to be active despite being stretched thin and this incident takes us backwards in our efforts.

ty. i appreciate you posting this and im sorry you're burning out on poo poo. i hope you get the support you deserve.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I was wondering whom you meant by "one or two posters" being confused.

I didn't particularly want to call out one poster and be like "you're wronnnnng" and also I am not sure if responses to that post were about that one sentence or not.

This whole episode, the roleplaying stuff, was revealed in a kind of mixed, confusing way, and I feel kind of protective of TG and I really don't want anyone to accidentally think that we would let games like that run here on the forums.

TG needs to be a safe place for people to play games. That means its mods and IKs need to be 100% on what constitutes safe gaming and how to do it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

peramene posted:

I ran Riven.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

did you know that the sequel to riven is exile?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Fluffdaddy posted:

Like I said earlier, I think your response to it was actually really good and I think most people appreciate that it was dealt with well and promptly.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Jazerus posted:

did you know that the sequel to riven is exile?

he cant answer you he's permabanned

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Magnetic North posted:

Now, is this because of an issue with previous Trad Games mods would not have listened? That sounds plausible, considering what I know of the TG moderation team as it was composed until recently.

They wouldn't have listened because Podima was already an IK/mod or do you mean something else?

Also to be clear with this note:

renessia posted:

It was aired and summarily ignored.

Were the concerns aired the ones that were expressed to Podima or was this something that was taken outside that circle? I'm glad this all came out because Jesus Christ gently caress all this poo poo, but if this was all dismissed by other people before that needs to be taken care of, too.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Peachfart posted:

No reason to be super mad about all this, but it does show that the community should vet positions. If a mod if being made for a particular forum, ask the forum. If an admin is being made, ask SAD and make an announcement if you want.
This is all fairly simple.

This really just seems obvious and necessary.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Fluffdaddy posted:

I can't speak for anyone else but today felt like a net positive. Getting this poo poo out in the open is good. Handling it quickly was good. Jeff woke up. The other new admins seem fine. Sagas is reopening and Rhino's PowerPoint ruled. Multiple people who told us what happened in this thread have said they're happy they have closure.

e:

Nuns with Guns posted:

if this was all dismissed by other people before that needs to be taken care of, too.

This too though

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Fluffdaddy posted:

Just pull the ancient Rome card and nominate a horse to the administration. [The 'holding hand to the earpiece' bit] Oh uh, or ... OK if that already ... well,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Staluigi posted:

Just pull the ancient Rome card and nominate a horse to the administration. [The 'holding hand to the earpiece' bit] Oh uh, or ... OK if that already ... well,

what other large mammals could we nominate, surely there are others