Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
idk. pete's pretty small. he's probably on the side of an entree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
pete just likes to gnaw on the cardboard packaging

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Teddy was pro-monopoly because he correctly saw that Capitalism, in actual practice, leads inevitably towards monopoly, and that fighting monopolies would be an endless cycle for the government. So, he believed monopolies should be allowed to exist if they operated for the public good. There is some doomed legislation Teddy tried passing late in his second term that would have started us on the road to Communism with American Characteristics.

monopolies with heavy state regulation or outright nationalization will always, always outperform (in terms of value and production delivered to society) the myth of the small business marketplace, because competitive markets are a joke of a concept and just result in massive inefficiency

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

They French are a wonderful kind people. Which means if you've pissed them off enough they won't hold back. After all, they already tried the nice route and got spurned. They can also do ultraviolence if the nice route doesn't get through.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

This isn't a collapse so much as a reversion to the norm. Families will need to stick together, if possible. For survival if not purely economic reasons.

Back to the era of multi generational households. Like the rest of the world which never stopped doing that.

I can see why it seems cataclysmic to people who only ever knew the golden era of plenty, though.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i used to watch dan bell's dead mall series for over a decade now and the most surprising thing is no one has ever found a dead body in one of these

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

DancingShade posted:

This isn't a collapse so much as a reversion to the norm. Families will need to stick together, if possible. For survival if not purely economic reasons.

Back to the era of multi generational households. Like the rest of the world which never stopped doing that.

I can see why it seems cataclysmic to people who only ever knew the golden era of plenty, though.
it's a shame it was because of economic conditions collapsing because multigenerational households would probably be healthier for this society

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Shipon posted:

it's a shame it was because of economic conditions collapsing because multigenerational households would probably be healthier for this society

yeah multigen households are good. theyre denser with all the benefits that come of that, and make things like childcare and eldercare much cheaper and more manageable as a society. its just our housing environment is built entirely for like two specific generations to live independently and to kick their kids out and not for three-four generations to live together

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
too many cspam posters getting hyped about the french protests, we all know what that means

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lessail posted:

too many cspam posters getting hyped about the french protests, we all know what that means

Too many sugary alcoholic drinks yeah. They should drink more respectable western european drinks.

Like chugging a whole bottle of champers, that sort of thing.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Lessail posted:

french people have lost their protest pizzazz. the yellow vest protests were mostly a joke: like macron's tax-cuts-4-rich ppl went through, and some other social cuts, but he cut the gas-tax increase. it appears french politicans just package a whole bunch of heinous poo poo together, wait for some protests to blow up and lose steam, then announce you're cutting 1 of the bad things you were going to do and implement the rest and it just kinda fizzles out and returns to normal, but ratcheted downward

then again i guess this is how america works but without even protesting

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

War and Pieces posted:

Philadelphia literally has the Gates of Hell as a tourist attraction.

https://philamuseum.org/collection/object/103360

In Philly do they argue about which Oblivion gate is the most authentic or whether to apply cheese whiz to the daedra gangs?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

lmao

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
That can't be real

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

lmao

I’d roll with it and add a new funemployed saying “you’ll never find a more qualified redflag engineer”

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Popoto posted:

lmao

I’d roll with it and add a new funemployed saying “you’ll never find a more qualified redflag engineer”

"Just think of me as a human spanner you can deploy to your rival's project team so you can get that promotion"

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

kamala won't ever run anything. pete is a psycho but he's on our side (meaning Dems. you leftists don't really matter) and eviscerates conservatives very well. he has my vote tbh

Pete “Badass” Buttigieg

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

BTC +$6,500 in the last week

https://twitter.com/crypto/status/1636834795287183362

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Shotgun Wedding imminent

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1637419384447614977https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1637419552899309572https://twitter.com/BloombergAsia/status/1637373210269306880

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

one billion seems very low

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

credit sheesh

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

FT with details:

quote:

The all-share deal between Switzerland’s two biggest banks is set to be signed as soon as Sunday evening and will be priced at a fraction of Credit Suisse’s closing price on Friday, all but wiping out the target’s shareholders
The offer was communicated on Sunday morning with a price of SFr0.25 a share to be paid in UBS stock, far below Credit Suisse’s closing price of SFr1.86 on Friday
UBS has also insisted on a material adverse change that voids the deal if its credit default spreads jump by 100 basis points or more, they added.
The situation is fast-moving and there is no guarantee that terms will remain the same or that a deal will be reached
On Saturday night, the Swiss cabinet assembled in the finance ministry in Bern for a series of presentations from government officials, the SNB, market regulator Finma, and representatives of the banking sector.

The government is preparing emergency measures to fast-track the takeover and plans to introduce legislation that will bypass the normal six-week consultation period required for UBS shareholders so the deal can be sealed immediately, the people said.
Swiss authorities have already secured preapproval from relevant regulators in the US and Europe which are expected to issue co-ordinated statements today.
UBS is seeking concessions and protections from the government, particularly from any pending legal cases and regulatory investigations into Credit Suisse that could result in fines or losses, the FT has reported.
UBS also wants to be allowed to phase in any extra demands it would face under global rules on capital that govern the world’s biggest banks.

lmao at the Saudi National Bank buying a 9.9% stake in CS for 1.4 billion CHF in October at 3.82 CHF / share.
if the sale to UBS happens at 0.25 CHF / share, that will be a 93.46% loss in like 5 months

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

webcams for christ posted:

FT with details:

lmao at the Saudi National Bank buying a 9.9% stake in CS for 1.4 billion CHF in October at 3.82 CHF / share.
if the sale to UBS happens at 0.25 CHF / share, that will be a 93.46% loss in like 5 months

lol, lmao

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

WSJ with some nice math on why everyone is trying to waive laws and votes and move fast here:

quote:

The urgency on the part of regulators was prompted by an increasingly dire outlook at Credit Suisse, according to one of the people. The bank faced as much as $10 billion in outflows a day last week, this person said. The regulators feared that the bank would become insolvent next week if not dealt with, and they were concerned crumbling confidence could spread to other banks.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ubs-in-talks-to-take-over-credit-suisse-ed932b01

lmao 10 bil a day gonna eat through that 50 bil lifeline pretty quick. Good luck global financial system!

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

yeah, the Federal Council of Switzerland would be using Article 185 of the constitution to bypass the normal regulatory process:

quote:

Art. 185 External and internal security

1 The Federal Council takes measures to safeguard external security, independence and neutrality of Switzerland.

2 It takes measures to safeguard internal security.

3 It may in direct application of this Article issue ordinances and rulings in order to counter existing or imminent threats of serious disruption to public order or internal or external security. Such ordinances must be limited in duration.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

let them fight

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1637433299709620224

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Sudden death overtime Sunday bank fight LET'S loving GO

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

webcams for christ posted:

FT with details:

That rules. I hope this happens, it will be funny. Although not as funny as CS going under.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

decent thread for noobs

https://mobile.twitter.com/PursuingFi/status/1637212839327703041

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

check the most recent retweet

https://mobile.twitter.com/CreditSuisse

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
i want an emergency weekend meeting where I get a shitload of money after loving up my finances for fifteen years

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

19 o'clock posted:

i want an emergency weekend meeting where I get a shitload of money after loving up my finances for fifteen years

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lol it was bound to happen sooner or later, but Saudi national bank Chairman Ammar Al Khudairy's blunt comments about " absolutely not" raising their stake in CS was what finally sent CS into a terminal tailspin. having to eat a huge loss on their investment doesn't sound like collateral damage

Adam Tooze had a hilarious comment in November when he was asked what is the biggest challenge facing Switzerland:

"I mean, it's obvious, right? We all know what Switzerland can and should do. Do I really have to say that out loud? We can't afford Credit Suisse, guys, what's going on here? This is crazy."

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

19 o'clock posted:

an emergency weekend meeting where you loose 86.48% of your market cap and have to fire 10,000+ workers

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm doing double principle payments on my mortgage to pay it off by 2026 and I got poo poo on in this very thread by someone for doing that instead of putting the extra $700/mo into "investments"

all depends on rates. I'd be a giant moron to pay mine down because I'd lose compared even to HYSAs

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lol 1 billion. One freaking billion for a bank with over a trillion in assets.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Yup, your largest investor trying to quietly put out the raging inferno they carelessly threw the lit match at.

Sounds like the CS investors get slightly more than a snickers bar Toblerone for their shares. But at a couple cents on the dollar, it might as well be.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

freeloading gen z sugar lumps moving back in with mamma

:qq:A bloo bloo bloo:qq: I don’t want to have 8 roommates and live a garbage life :qq:a bloo bloo blooo:qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lol 1 billion. One freaking billion for a bank with over a trillion in assets.

It’s amazing to behold

Really makes you think about conceptions of value