Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

New Leaf posted:

Still figuring out how to Thanos. Feels like I'm just vomiting Soul Stones on the board.

The stones are your draw engine. Playing a stone (other than Power Stone) draws an extra card and more cards in hand means more options. Quinjet is a priority to get on the board to make stones free. Mind stone pulls stones out of your deck. If you're playing stones on Lockjaw always play Mind first to have a lower chance of pulling a stone from Lockjaw. Space and Reality are the most powerful. Playing Space on Lockjaw lets you move Lockjaw or a big card away from the lane so you can drop more stones into the gambling machine. Space Stone also lets you move a card into unreachable locations like Death's Domain. Playing Space into Gamma Lab on turn 3 means you can move a Hulk to another location to spread power. Reality Stone is great for dropping on turn 6 into Death's Domain or Luke's Bar with another card when your opponent won't expect to play anything there. My greatest joy is dropping a turn 6 Reality Stone on Limbo, ending the game, while your opponent plays nothing because they planned a big turn 7 drop. I try to hold Space and Reality Stones but if I have no others in hand I'll play them turn 1 or 2 to get the draws going.

I like to play Time Stone or Wave on turn 3 and snap so I can play Leech on 4. A lot of people retreat when Leech ruins their hand. Leech on 5 is risky unless you're playing it into Lockjaw. It's not a lot of power on the board. If you've played all the stones Thanos+Power Stone can usually win a lane by themselves but it's rare to play Thanos otherwise. Other cards have more power (Dino) or more utility (Aero, Magneto). The deck I used is pretty standard:

# (1) Sunspot
# (1) Quinjet
# (3) Lockjaw
# (3) Wave
# (4) Shang-Chi
# (5) Devil Dinosaur
# (5) Leech
# (5) Aero
# (6) America Chavez
# (6) She-Hulk
# (6) Thanos
# (6) Magneto
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU3Vuc3BvdCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiUXVpbmpldCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiV2F2ZSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU2hhbmdDaGkifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkxlZWNoIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJUaGFub3MifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Ik1hZ25ldG8ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkxvY2tqYXcifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkRldmlsRGlub3NhdXIifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkFlcm8ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlNoZUh1bGsifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkFtZXJpY2FDaGF2ZXoifV19
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Also - time stone on 3 is something you should instinctively consider even if you don't have leech in hand because there are two other 5 drops and you could draw them and time stone doesn't do all that much after T4. Wave on 5 with no other play will let you play she-hulk + 1 on 6 which is just op in any deck and also in this one. List above is very much the standard list though you can swap magneto for blue marvel.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 18, 2023

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Thank you for all that! I'll have to dig into it when I'm not on mobile. The deck I put together from Snap Fan is close if not identical to that one but I played several games without Lockjaw or Quinjet making an appearance. Just having the stones on the board seems to freak people out.

Edit: Mine had Blue Marvel vs Wave.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 18, 2023

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I don't know why it is I keep ending up on massive losing or winning streams in this game. Either I'm going down 5 ranks at a time or going up 5 ranks at a time. I've been floating around 45 ever since I started this season, highest I've gotten so far was 47 and the lowest was like 38

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Youremother posted:

I don't know why it is I keep ending up on massive losing or winning streams in this game. Either I'm going down 5 ranks at a time or going up 5 ranks at a time. I've been floating around 45 ever since I started this season, highest I've gotten so far was 47 and the lowest was like 38

Extremely same, I went up to 48.6 last night and now down to 43. Just had a run of no matter what deck I was playing I would get hit by the exact counter to wreck my poo poo, usually on turn 6. Also some dire deck draws so had no alternates. I just keep hopping decks but nothing is clicking.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Only advice I got is to take a break 'cause I tend to go on my win streaks when I haven't touched the game for a while. Dunno if it's matchmaking or just clearing up my losing frustration allowing me to play smarter

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!

Youremother posted:

Are you sticking with the same deck?
If so do you have a specific snap strategy?
If so are you applying it consistently?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

GarudaPrime posted:

Are you sticking with the same deck?
If so do you have a specific snap strategy?
If so are you applying it consistently?

1. Generally, yes, though I've been trying to tinker with it a lot. This is the most current rendition of my favorite deck which I play like 90% of the time. My most idealized game plan is to land an early Prof X with Electro or Psylocke, skip turn 5, then drop the Spider-Woman and She-Hulk combo to clean up. Otherwise I'm looking at turn 4 Rescue with a turn 5 X, and playing She-Hulk wherever I have an Armor or Cosmo (or otherwise dropping a Shang-Chi on turn 6 to try and handle any Knulls)
2. I know it's best to snap on turns 3, 4, or 5 - normally I snap whenever I can land a clean Prof X lane, which is what gets me most of my wins. I retreat a lot.
3. Well, this is probably my worst problem I suppose. My biggest issue is specifically snapping and then getting Aero'd or they come out with a surprise Spider-Man locking me into a bad lane. I don't have access to Aero yet and that one card has been the single greatest reason I lose when I feel confident enough to snap.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Youremother posted:

1. Generally, yes, though I've been trying to tinker with it a lot. This is the most current rendition of my favorite deck which I play like 90% of the time. My most idealized game plan is to land an early Prof X with Electro or Psylocke, skip turn 5, then drop the Spider-Woman and She-Hulk combo to clean up. Otherwise I'm looking at turn 4 Rescue with a turn 5 X, and playing She-Hulk wherever I have an Armor or Cosmo (or otherwise dropping a Shang-Chi on turn 6 to try and handle any Knulls)
2. I know it's best to snap on turns 3, 4, or 5 - normally I snap whenever I can land a clean Prof X lane, which is what gets me most of my wins. I retreat a lot.
3. Well, this is probably my worst problem I suppose. My biggest issue is specifically snapping and then getting Aero'd or they come out with a surprise Spider-Man locking me into a bad lane. I don't have access to Aero yet and that one card has been the single greatest reason I lose when I feel confident enough to snap.
Before you play out turn 5 and turn 6, do you think about aero?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Every time, yeah. It can be hard for me to formulate exactly if the Aero is going to lose me the game or not, but I tend to surrender a lot. In fact a part of my problem might be that I'm still not escaping enough because I'm overcommitting to 8 cube snaps.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I surrender immediately if they snap and I don’t have what I consider a wincon, which is hard to know sometimes especially in a move deck. So I retreat a lot.

Heck just now I was playing a destroy deck against another destroy and had no idea how to place my she hulk, death and 8 power deadpool vs theirs and just surrendered because I knew I would guess wrong.

My tilt continued so I just deleted the app off my phone for now before I get too frustrated.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!

Youremother posted:

That is some good self diagnosis. The questions are intentionally vague because finding your "leak" is often something only you can do through self analysis. Just remember if you can climb to the same rank over and over again there is a tangible reason you aren't progressing, figuring that out is more important than doing the same dance endlessly.

For some concrete advice, maybe try another strategy besides early Prof X. I loved playing ramp into X early in pool 3, but I found it impossible to make it good enough, and changed over to storm lane control style decks instead to get more deterministic wins. At first it seems like getting to proff x a turn early is busted but it very often is not. If you really like that style consider Destroyer ramp (if you have him) instead. If you see alot of Thanos then Storm might be bad right now though.

Youremother posted:

Only advice I got is to take a break 'cause I tend to go on my win streaks when I haven't touched the game for a while. Dunno if it's matchmaking or just clearing up my losing frustration allowing me to play smarter

This is legit some of the best advice. When I started playing I loved jamming endless games, but if you care about climbing try playing only when focused and stop playing whenever you start loosing and feel even a bit unfocused because of it. This is different for everybody, but I could feel myself chasing looses and not playing well. Once I recognized that it became really good to stop until I was focused again, sometimes it takes minutes, sometimes I'll stop for the rest of the day.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Game is addictive and fun but the only competitive game I’ve ever played where I can go on a hard losing streak and not feel like I’m doing anything wrong

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I've definitely found that wins and losses come in 'streaks'.

I've found that if the mood is 'losing', the best thing to do is to put the game down and wait 3 hours.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
nothing sucks more than a streak of bad card draws. like thank you deck for drawing in the exact opposite order i need and losing me the game

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Two days ago I got so mad I put the game down for the entire day and only came back on when that announcement dropped yesterday. I did all of my dailies in one go, gained a bunch of CL and rank at once, and completed that week's battlepass chapter in one sitting. Weekends are the worst because the opportunities for CL and battlepass advancement are less IMO. The only thing I really care about in this game is getting new cards

Youremother fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 18, 2023

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Today I learned:

Juggernaut can knock cards past a full lane, this does not mean you should get confident.

Edit: turn 6 moved Nightcrawler to the right, played She-Hulk there. Played Squirrel Girl in center. Juggy knocked She-Hulk, Kingpin stomp. Pause of like 10 seconds, then Squirrel Girl got the same treatment.

Ninurta fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 18, 2023

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

GarudaPrime posted:

For some concrete advice, maybe try another strategy besides early Prof X. I loved playing ramp into X early in pool 3, but I found it impossible to make it good enough, and changed over to storm lane control style decks instead to get more deterministic wins. At first it seems like getting to proff x a turn early is busted but it very often is not. If you really like that style consider Destroyer ramp (if you have him) instead. If you see alot of Thanos then Storm might be bad right now though.

Switching to a more Storm oriented deck sounds like a good idea, I had good results running Storm Jubilee some time ago. I started running X at the advice of thread user Walla in fact, who suggested that a Destroyerless Destroyer Spectrum deck is still pretty good, which it was for a while. Then I grew addicted to X and have been building around him since. I will definitely start running Destroyer if I unlock it. Here's my entire pool 3 so far if anybody has any deck building suggestions.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Ninurta posted:

Today I learned:

Juggernaut can knock cards past a full lane, this does not mean you should get confident.

Edit: turn 6 moved Nightcrawler to the right, played She-Hulk there. Played Squirrel Girl in center. Juggy knocked She-Hulk, Kingpin stomp. Pause of like 10 seconds, then Squirrel Girl got the same treatment.

What do you mean by past a full lane? Juggernaut just moves the card randomly, it's not trying to put the card in the closest lane. If one lane is full, then the card will always go to the not full lane.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!

Youremother posted:

Switching to a more Storm oriented deck sounds like a good idea, I had good results running Storm Jubilee some time ago. I started running X at the advice of thread user Walla in fact, who suggested that a Destroyerless Destroyer Spectrum deck is still pretty good, which it was for a while. Then I grew addicted to X and have been building around him since. I will definitely start running Destroyer if I unlock it. Here's my entire pool 3 so far if anybody has any deck building suggestions.

Your frustratingly short just a few cards that would really tie some decks together. I would try some form of a moongirl "Double up" deck with Titania and She-hulk. It might be rough without Quinjet and Hood though.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

You're tellin' me I'm short of a few good cards! Thanks for the advice though. I already have She-Hulk as my secondary wincon in my Devil Dino deck and I'll slot Titania in there too.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

doingitwrong posted:

If you hate Shuri and have Valkyrie, I cannot recommend Valkyrie highly enough. It is anextremely satisfying card that dodges all the normal big card protectors except Cosmo.

Valk is unfortunately AWFUL versus Thanos due to the ongoing effects, and only okay versus Shuri due to Cosmo Aero 😞

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I find I lose the most when I'm tired, and that's when I get the most tilted. I dropped a bunch of ranks today and started getting mad because I was playing poorly so it's time for a break. I just need to remind myself that cubes aren't real and rank doesn't matter.

Youremother, I've never liked X in ramp. He's too low tempo. Rescue into X is a great play as long as you can build enough power in a second lane.

You could try a Sera Control list. It'll be a bit weaker than most because you don't have Mysterio, but I enjoyed it.

Nova, Angela, Star Lord, Scarlet Witch, Sentinel, Lizard, Bishop, Cosmo, Killmonger, Shang Chi, Sera, Spiderwoman

Just look up a Sera Control deck guide before trying it because it plays a bit more like a zoo list.

Remember, if you always lose to something then just assume they have it. You can play around Aero by filling the board and simply not caring if she exists. She can't move anything if all the lanes are full.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I also make it a point to play off meta decks because chasing the meta isn't fun for me. Junk decks, bounce decks, simple control decks. Even Surfer is off meta now and since the nerf it isn't quite so oppressive to play. Hell, I have a zoo control deck that gets some surprising wins and is a lot of fun.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I just pulled my first series 5 card from a cache: Dazzler! Right before she gets downgraded too, lucky me.

I really like the concept of the card, but I just can't see it being consistent enough to put into a deck as it is. Hopefully they'll give her a bit of a buff.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Chainclaw posted:

What do you mean by past a full lane? Juggernaut just moves the card randomly, it's not trying to put the card in the closest lane. If one lane is full, then the card will always go to the not full lane.

I stand corrected, it's been awhile I've played against Juggernaut, it's usually Aero on 5, not Juggs on 6.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

WOW, thanks game. X-Mansion pulled me a Green Goblin that went cruising on over to the opponent's side. It gave them an Odin, which sent it cruising right on back. Biggest dick move I've seen out of a location.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Walla posted:

You could try a Sera Control list. It'll be a bit weaker than most because you don't have Mysterio, but I enjoyed it.

Nova, Angela, Star Lord, Scarlet Witch, Sentinel, Lizard, Bishop, Cosmo, Killmonger, Shang Chi, Sera, Spiderwoman

Yeah, this deck just does not work without Mysterio. I'm not getting enough power by turn 6 even with a full hand and Sera on board. Mysterio would definitely put this one over the top. Just gotta keep doing dailies and earning caches I guess.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Just had a game that was either insanely lucky or proof of horrific RNG seeding. X mansion gave us both Zabu. The next turn we both filled The Raft and it gave us both Ultron

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

What exactly would have been the counterplay here? They pass turn 5 with a Shuri on the field, I expect a Red Skull which would give them the 50/50 to overwhelmingly win one lane - was there any way to plausibly win this one? Or should I just start to concede every single time I see Shuri drop?

Also just opened a new cache and got Debrii. Come on game give me something worth playing

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Youremother posted:

What exactly would have been the counterplay here? They pass turn 5 with a Shuri on the field, I expect a Red Skull which would give them the 50/50 to overwhelmingly win one lane - was there any way to plausibly win this one? Or should I just start to concede every single time I see Shuri drop?

Also just opened a new cache and got Debrii. Come on game give me something worth playing

Looks like your only hope would've been for Jubilee to pull a clutch card, depending on what you had left in your deck. So yeah, probably retreat in that case.

As far as Shuri counters go; Cosmo, ShangChi, Aero to pull Taskmaster to the same location as whatever she boosted.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

the_steve posted:

Looks like your only hope would've been for Jubilee to pull a clutch card, depending on what you had left in your deck. So yeah, probably retreat in that case.

As far as Shuri counters go; Cosmo, ShangChi, Aero to pull Taskmaster to the same location as whatever she boosted.

Someone used Magneto to pull my Cosmo to the same location as where I played my turn 6 Taskmaster, that sucked

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
T6 She Hulk Taskmaster combo loses to Aero. For T5 Red Skull, generally you Aero the Red Skull to a vulnerable lane and Shang it T6

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Youremother posted:

The only two cards that beat this are aero and leech. This combo is exactly why I am confused by all the talk about wanting to gut aero and leech.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Youremother posted:

Debrii gets use! She's in a lot of "junk" decks where your goal is to clog your enemy's lanes, plus she shows up in Blue Marvel/Kazar/Patriot where you clog your enemy and get an army of sentient attack Rocks.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

New Leaf posted:

WOW, thanks game. X-Mansion pulled me a Green Goblin that went cruising on over to the opponent's side. It gave them an Odin, which sent it cruising right on back. Biggest dick move I've seen out of a location.

My favorite recent X-Mansion was when, with no cards played there by me or my opponent, I got Professor X to lock the lane down, and they got Galactus.

That was a pretty big lol. Shame I didn't happen to have to already snap before that happened.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

New Leaf posted:

X-Mansion is second only to Danger Room for locations that absolutely detest you and everything you stand for. They will take any opportunity they can to inflict pain and misery on players.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

New Leaf posted:

Debrii gets use! She's in a lot of "junk" decks where your goal is to clog your enemy's lanes, plus she shows up in Blue Marvel/Kazar/Patriot where you clog your enemy and get an army of sentient attack Rocks.

Yeah Debrii is pretty core to those Junk/Patriot lists and is definitely a good pull - also worth noting her use as a tech card vs. Galactus (which has tools to solve it ofc, but that's because they need tools against Debrii and she can still gently caress them up something fierce depending on the timing)

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

New Leaf posted:

Most importantly Debrii is how you get shiny foil rocks and black and white rocks so you can be the envy of all the boys and gals and non-binary pals and make them rage spend on April 1st so they too can finally know the joy of a fancy rock friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

No Wave posted:

The only two cards that beat this are aero and leech. This combo is exactly why I am confused by all the talk about wanting to gut aero and leech.

The people doing the talking are whiners who play Shuri decks.