Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I guess it hinges on what exactly those "loose ends" are. There are several ways to interpret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Things that jump to mind that I feel might have not led me to the best outcome

- not helping Evrart
- not helping Joyce
- not finding my gun
- not finishing the church or bringing the filament memory from the ice maker
- not figuring something about the Dolores Dei window
- not understanding the origin of the *Expression*
- everyone except Gene and Alain died during the merc tribunal loving tie
- not figuring out who the scab leader was
- not finishing the raver quest or getting Acele to open up
- how do I talk to egghead
- not finding out Lely's real name

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ok, that's... A lot. I would've assumed some of those were mandatory, lol.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I'm going to be honest I'm...impressed you managed to finish the game somehow

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Bedshaped posted:

- not helping Evrart
- not helping Joyce
- not finding my gun

Good lord. Did you take the time limit seriously? Cause it doesn't really matter.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Bedshaped posted:

- not helping Evrart
- not helping Joyce
- not finding my gun

Of course it might simply just not work for you but considering that might be way more since you are saying things that come to mind, you are missing on whole huge chunks of the game

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Bedshaped posted:

- not helping Evrart
- not helping Joyce
- not finding my gun

I also did not do any of these and thought DE was the greatest thing ever, and I loving loved the ending. Tbh I kind of like the version of the ending where you don't talk to the phasmid more than the full thing.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

I didn't help Soona out because I had sold the filament memory earlier on so I could have that money to spend on dumb poo poo. still pretty happy with that choice (it's funny), maybe I'll change that on a replay

something I never see mentioned re: workplace allegations is that we have a first-hand account, from the art book, of multiple people having left by the time of the game's release. it doesn't have to be nefarious, but that definitely points towards some concrete things scaring people away. might have been as simple as running out of money to pay employees with

Ramie fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 18, 2023

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Bedshaped posted:

- not helping Evrart
- not helping Joyce
- not finding my gun

Should be an achievement for being as socially avoidant ingame as you are in real life.
I'm seriously impressed.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

catgirlgenius posted:

I didn't help Soona out because I had sold the filament memory earlier on so I could have that money to spend on dumb poo poo. still pretty happy with that choice (it's funny), maybe I'll change that on a replay

something I never see mentioned re: workplace allegations is that we have a first-hand account, from the art book, of multiple people having left by the time of the game's release. it doesn't have to be nefarious, but that definitely points towards some concrete things scaring people away. might have been as simple as running out of money to pay employees with

The game took a really long time to make, and from reading some of the interviews, during the first few years the game was not even being worked on full time because the lack of funding. It was not until after the money man showed up (chiefly Kendor) that they were able to really make progress.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Bedshaped posted:

- not helping Evrart
- not helping Joyce
- not finding my gun

See, while those are all interesting things to do, it's not gonna change the ending at all.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I did guess that the whole in universe story of a fledgling gaming studio getting way over their heads and falling apart was semi-autobiographical.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The legal drama *is* the unpublished novel

It's extremely meta! Metaaaaa!

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
No one is helping me find my hope for the DE team.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sankara posted:

See, while those are all interesting things to do, it's not gonna change the ending at all.

Absolutely worth another playthrough to do those things though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sankara posted:

Disco Elysium's ending is one of the most beautiful emotional things I've ever experienced. If you didn't like it, I'm not sure what another playthru would do.

If you mean the leggy boi and the deserter, then yes, but the game just kind of stops and does ending sides via dialogue after that and I remember it as feeling fairly abrupt.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The abruptness of the ending was genius to me. The game was always about one thing: the case. Now that it's solved, the case is shut. Everything else was a sideplot. Kim was right.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Youremother posted:

The abruptness of the ending was genius to me. The game was always about one thing: the case. Now that it's solved, the case is shut. Everything else was a sideplot. Kim was right.

No sir, I think you are wrong.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pacing wise I thought it was fine - the game all but smashes through the 4th wall to tell you 'this is the point of no return' and the final section is telegraphed in every way as the last thing you will do.

On the other hand, the return to the mainland to find Harry's colleagues lined up to debrief you felt a little contrived in a way that nothing else in the game did, and it was very 'transition into epilogue time now'.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Pacing wise I thought it was fine - the game all but smashes through the 4th wall to tell you 'this is the point of no return' and the final section is telegraphed in every way as the last thing you will do.

On the other hand, the return to the mainland to find Harry's colleagues lined up to debrief you felt a little contrived in a way that nothing else in the game did, and it was very 'transition into epilogue time now'.

The debrief is a pretty important set piece though: it’s new (your) Harry proving his deal. Wiping Vicquemare’s floor under him probably would be a critical factor for what was planned for whatever the continuation of DE would be, either DLC or a full fledged sequel.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Also the game appears to be one giant commentary about ideology that has it's crescendo with the Deserter. Then you find out that his mind has been spaghetti'd by a daddy long legs and it feels like the game just tripped up before the finish line messaging-wise. Or else I'm missing what the narrative point of what discovering what is in the reeds...

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Bedshaped posted:

Also the game appears to be one giant commentary about ideology

Well the core team are marxists-leninists so

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Bedshaped posted:

Or else I'm missing what the narrative point of what discovering what is in the reeds...

The Deserter is a cracked mirror image of Harry, and what he's going to become one day if he doesn't improve himself. The Deserter's memories are gone, he's completely dependent on an external drug to survive, and the failures of his youth are ruling his entire life. The only thing Iosef has left is his ideology, and it's a twisted mockery of the actual tenets of communism. The discovery of the phasmid is the most important part of the game: it shows that despite everything, despite the horrors of the war and the failures of the government and the nightmare that is capitalism, there is true beauty and wonder in the world. There's something to fight for.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Youremother posted:

The Deserter is a cracked mirror image of Harry, and what he's going to become one day if he doesn't improve himself. The Deserter's memories are gone, he's completely dependent on an external drug to survive, and the failures of his youth are ruling his entire life. The only thing Iosef has left is his ideology, and it's a twisted mockery of the actual tenets of communism. The discovery of the phasmid is the most important part of the game: it shows that despite everything, despite the horrors of the war and the failures of the government and the nightmare that is capitalism, there is true beauty and wonder in the world. There's something to fight for.

Harry is not the Deserter, we are the Deserter. Its only until the pre final scene we realize how much we crave acceptance, specifically for the emotions we feel.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un4p-6lzIpI

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

God is in His Heaven! Everything's normal on Earth! Thanks a million! 😁👍

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bedshaped posted:

- not helping Evrart
- not helping Joyce
- not finding my gun

Oh you should definitely do another playthrough because you can do all these things and more.

The church subplot imparticular has some of my favorite things in the whole game. Would be happy to give you info on how to accomplish certain things if you'd like. Some bits are intuitive, others not so much.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Get in the Kineema, Harry

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Did you at least take a nap on the Island? That's a good chunk of the ending and its something I missed my first time through.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The nap on the island is super loving important, never forget to take a nap on the island. I prefer doing it after meeting the Deserter.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They honestly should've found some contrived way for Harry to have a heart attack and pass out or get bonked and lose consciousness. Having Kim tell you to take a nap when you're ten feet away from a serial killer strains credulity to the breaking point right before the finish line.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Which is exactly why I prefer doing it after the confrontation, knowing the dude is completely out of commission and Kim can keep an eye on him gives Harry the perfect time to catch some Z's - and makes the true final boss of the game all the more heartbreaking

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Gaius Marius posted:

They honestly should've found some contrived way for Harry to have a heart attack and pass out or get bonked and lose consciousness. Having Kim tell you to take a nap when you're ten feet away from a serial killer strains credulity to the breaking point right before the finish line.

the least contrived time for the dream to happen was immediately post-tribunal as harry is in compulsory convalescence but I get wanting to split up the big beats of the endgame a little

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Youremother posted:

Which is exactly why I prefer doing it after the confrontation, knowing the dude is completely out of commission and Kim can keep an eye on him gives Harry the perfect time to catch some Z's - and makes the true final boss of the game all the more heartbreaking

I think it also makes sense to nap as soon as you get to the island, because at that point Harry is still recovering from massive body trauma and Kim still doesn't really believe the killer is on the island. It's not until you find the snipers nest that Kim gets the "Oh poo poo this might be real" thought. Hence why Kim let Harry blast Sad FM on the way over because at that point the lieutenant was in full "gently caress it, why not" mode.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I think it also makes sense to nap as soon as you get to the island, because at that point Harry is still recovering from massive body trauma and Kim still doesn't really believe the killer is on the island. It's not until you find the snipers nest that Kim gets the "Oh poo poo this might be real" thought. Hence why Kim let Harry blast Sad FM on the way over because at that point the lieutenant was in full "gently caress it, why not" mode.

You can find out someone is there by talking to the twins. It's also apparent the place is lived in before you get to the sniper's nest. Kim's a lame binoclard with a low conceptualization score, he's barely sapient.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Bedshaped posted:

- not helping Evrart
- not helping Joyce
- not finding my gun

Did... did you ever get a reality lowdown? That is on the list of things you can miss that you should absolutely not miss.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Bedshaped posted:

- not helping Evrart
- not helping Joyce
- not finding my gun

That's... a lot, and I would definitely recommend the other elements people are suggesting. I think you should definitely play more of the game to better experience the themes that make the ending resonate. And definitely sleep on the island, and do the communist political quest perhaps.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I metagamed it- I assumed there would be some sort of "+1 well rested" modifier at some point during the final confrontation. As an actual person it would be insane to do, but given the game mechanics I figured there was no way I'd be punished for taking a nap when my character clearly needed one.

And indeed I was immensely rewarded, though not in the way I was anticipating.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

There was a post / article ages ago talking about how there’s 8(?) rules for telling a mystery story and Disco Elysium proudly and deliberately breaks every single one of them… does anybody remember what I’m talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Hey talentless studio boss man, I just found out a way you can repackage the game and the fans will LOVE you for it:

Lt. Kittsuragi: "stop smoking all my catnip cigarettes Harry."