Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

They've had such a killer welterweight division for the last half decade and they just keep driving it into the loving dirt because Dana loves Colby and Jorge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"UFC president Dana White told Fox News host Sean Hannity that he tries to keep his sport separated from politics.

Appearing on Hannity’s show Monday night, the UFC chief chalked up his sport’s recent success, in part, to his effort to keep mixed martial arts from getting political.

“One of the things that I really tried to do through this whole thing is stay out of politics,” White said. “When people tune in to watch sports, they don’t want to hear that crap. They don’t want to hear what your opinions are, or who you’re voting for, or what you’re doing. They want to get away from everything in their life, and they want to focus on [for] two, three, four hours, however long the sport is … throughout this pandemic, when you turned on the UFC, we never talked about Covid. We never talked about politics.”"

Weird how this guy...

is now getting an immediate title shot after being away for over a year and the rest of the division actually was building up contenders and showing they actually deserved it.

So. Weird.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CarlCX posted:

They've had such a killer welterweight division for the last half decade and they just keep driving it into the loving dirt because Dana loves Colby and B.M.F. Champion Jorge

FTFY

Edit -

For added comedy, here is the "BMF Champion's" (the UFC still promoting him as that) recent run

the baddest motherfucker hasn't won a fight in 3 years.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 19, 2023

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
dana wants his white power champion in his girdle slot which combines with his white power slap hour trinket for +6 to cocaine tolerence and a -6 to his wife's bullshit tolerence.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

we are going to have jon jones and colby covington as champs at the same time aren't we

edit: and maybe roided connor

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Belal has eaten so much poo poo for the UFC and their reward is he has to fight Shavkat now.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Thinking about how things would've gone if Leon Edwards hadn't eyepoked Belal like he was going in on a pint of Ben and Jerry's

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

anyone got a record history colbys road to the title and leons?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

UFC, where the best fight an rear end in a top hat the boss likes

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I resisted making a post about how it actually kind of made sense to have colby be the backup, or at least it being not that big of a deal, but lol at him getting the next title shot.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1636889783661375490

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Don't know what this was but it's gone.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

from the twitter handle i wonder if it's the clip from today where Bisping mistakenly called a fighter (whose first name is malcolm) "malcolm x" lol

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

That's weird, I see it fine. It's that collegiate wrestler's mom who lost her poo poo yesterday

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

beep by grandpa posted:

from the twitter handle i wonder if it's the clip from today where Bisping mistakenly called a fighter (whose first name is malcolm) "malcolm x" lol

That dude's nickname is "X" and he's regularly introduced (by Buffer and such)as 'Malcolm "X" Gordon', so probably not that.

Edit: Wait, unless this is some kind of mistake by the caching robot it's this:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:5bmq-M4rgbsJ:https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1636889783661375490

Which uh...I guess doesn't tell me too much without the actual video being playable but it doesn't seem to be an MMA thing?

more edit: I think this is a different version of what that was https://twitter.com/colin_dunlap/status/1636888756622958592

Trillhouse was this what you were trying to post or was it supposed to be something else? I'm just confused

Brut fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 19, 2023

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The context is that's the mom of Spencer Lee, who just lost in the semis going for his 4th NCAA Div 1 championship. The tweet they posted had a pretty cool wrestling sequence where he lost and then that.

He's a generational wrestler, an Olympic level talent who could potentially make his way to MMA ala Kamaru Usman because his knees are similarly blown.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He would've set the record for most NCAA D1 wins.

He was up on points in the semifinals, just 1 more match away from that accolade, and then lost via pin with 4 seconds left.

Also the tweet is fine and works.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Mekchu posted:

Also the tweet is fine and works.

Yeah I dunno this is weird, some people are saying it's working for them, but I'm getting:

Caching issue? If you go to the tweet itself and refresh, is it still there? If so I have no loving clue :shrug:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

elon is dumb as gently caress and broke his 44 billy toy again

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

beep by grandpa posted:

anyone got a record history colbys road to the title and leons?

I decided to do this to distract myself while stressed about other poo poo:

Colby's run up to his first (undisputed) title match:
  • Jonathan Meunier, 6/18/2016: 7-0, making his UFC debut (Colby was 3-1): Colby wins by R3 submission, Meunier is out of the UFC one fight later and retired two fights later
  • Max Griffin, 8/20/2016: 12-2, making his UFC debut: Colby wins by R3 TKO, Griffin is still in the UFC and 7-7 under its banner
  • Bryan Barberena, 12/17/2016: 12-3, 3-1 in the UFC: Colby wins by decision, Barberena is still here and is 9-8 in the UFC
  • Dong Hyun Kim, 6/17/2017: 22-3-1, 13-3 in the UFC, ranked #7: Colby wins by decision, Kim never fights again
  • Demian Maia, 10/28/2017: 25-7, 19-7 in the UFC, former 185/170 title challenger, ranked #3: Colby wins by decision, Maia goes on to a 22-11 UFC record before being released and may or may not be retired
  • Rafael dos Anjos, 6/9/2018: 28-9, 17-7 in the UFC, former 155 champ, ranked #1: Colby wins by decision and becomes interim champ, is later stripped, dos Anjos goes on to a 21-12 UFC record and counting
  • Robbie Lawler, 8/3/2018: 28-13, 13-7 in the UFC, former 170 champ on a two-fight losing streak, ranked #5: Colby wins by decision, Lawler goes on to a 14-10 UFC record
Leon's run up to his first title match:
  • Dominic Waters, 5/8/2016: 9-4, 0-2 in the UFC: Edwards wins by decision, Waters is released afterward, fights twice more and retires
  • Albert Tumenov, 10/8/2016: 16-3, 5-3 in the UFC: Edwards wins by R3 submission, Tumenov is released afterward, hasn't lost since and is one of Russia's top welterweights
  • Vicente Luque, 3/18/2017: 11-5-1, 4-1 in the UFC: Edwards wins by decision, Luque is still here, is 14-5 in the UFC, and has been a top ten welterweight for years
  • Bryan Barberena, 9/2/2017: 13-4, 4-2 in the UFC: Edwards wins by decision, Barberena is still here and is 9-8 in the UFC
  • Peter Sobotta, 3/17/2018: 17-5-1, 4-4 in the UFC: Edwards wins by R3 TKO, Sobotta fights one more time and is released and retires
  • Donald Cerrone, 6/23/2018: 33-10, 20-7 in the UFC, ranked #11: Edwards wins by decision, Cerrone wins three more before going on a losing streak until he restires in 2022
  • Gunnar Nelson, 3/16/2019: 17-3-1, 8-3 in the UFC, ranked #13: Edwards wins by decision, Nelson fights once more, goes on hiatus for two and a half years, currently making a comeback, 10-5 and counting
  • Rafael dos Anjos, 7/20/2019: 29-11, 18-9 in the UFC, former 155 champ, ranked #4: Edwards wins by decision, dos Anjos goes on to a 21-12 UFC record and counting
  • Belal Muhammad, 3/13/2021: 18-3, 9-3 in the UFC, ranked #13: No Contest due to an eyepoke, Muhammad has won four fights since, is 13-3 and ranked #4
  • Nate Diaz, 6/12/2021: 20-12, 15-10 in the UFC, unranked: Edwards by decision, Diaz fought once more and left the company at 16-11
So:
  • Colby had to win 7 times to get an (undisputed) title shot, Leon had to win 9 times plus one No Contest
  • Colby beat 4 ranked opponents, all of whom were in the top ten, Leon beat 3, one of whom was in the top ten
  • Colby and Leon both got 2 finishes
  • Colby has 4 opponents who are still in the UFC, although if you take Lawler out as a semi-retiree it's 3, none of whom are ranked; Leon has 5 opponents who are still in the UFC, 2 of whom are ranked
However:
  • With the exception of Meunier being the replacement for Alex Garcia, the UFC secured every fight they intended for Colby; Leon was supposed to fight Tyron Woodley once, Nate Diaz twice, Khamzat Chimaev three times and Jorge Masvidal
  • The UFC was, reportedly, trying very hard to book Usman/Colby 3 and Leon/Jorge again in 2022 until the suckerpunch and arrest ruined the plan and forced them to let Leon through
  • Colby Covington lost his first title shot, won his second by beating a Tyron Woodley who hadn't won a fight in two years, lost his second, and has now secured his third by beating Jorge Masvidal, who has not defeated an active UFC fighter since 2013
  • Leon Edwards decided to just beat Kamaru Usman twice instead
And, additionally:
  • Colby Covington is a bitch

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Should also add in Colby has had to pay those dumb models he hires for his videos and they shoot him down constantly for his "lemme have you rub my shoulders in this shot" ideas constantly.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It's WILD how much the UFC has wanted a Brit champion and they have one... but he's not the right one... for some reason... so let's hobble his run from jump with the most paper of paper contenders. It's like how in WWE they set up a guy they didn't want to be champion with a Kane feud.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I stopped watching after the post-fight interviews, did they bring colby out at the presser or something?

I liked leon just not giving colby a shred of attention in his interview, it's the worst thing possible for a guy like that.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I stopped watching after the post-fight interviews, did they bring colby out at the presser or something?

I liked leon just not giving colby a shred of attention in his interview, it's the worst thing possible for a guy like that.
I haven't seen the presser but Megan Olivi talked to him for a couple minutes on the main broadcast

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Brut posted:

I haven't seen the presser but Megan Olivi talked to him for a couple minutes on the main broadcast

that interview was weird, wasnt he just at ringside like barely a minute earlier yelling about leon? did he sprint backstage mid-shittalk to get in position for the interview or did my brain fry and more time passed than i think? everything they do with colby just feels so forced

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
if edwards fixed his fight brain problems the way the usman rematch suggests i think colby's gonna get loving wrecked anyway

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Yes. He was not on the official presser on the UFC YT but did speak with the press at the post fight area etc. before everyone else from the PPV did.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Colby was talking about how he's "Donald Trump's favorite fighter" during that interview and Megan Olivi was just like, "Uuhh...yeah. Ok"

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Can someone give a a brief synopsis of how Edwards pulled of the win? I am extremely impressed by that on paper.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Couple dick kicks, a fence grab, hooking his fingers into usman's glove

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Marching Powder posted:

Can someone give a a brief synopsis of how Edwards pulled of the win? I am extremely impressed by that on paper.

He spent the entire fight cheating to help avoid takedowns

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Marching Powder posted:

i haven't rewatched it but it felt like he had a big advantage in footwork compared to the first two fights. he didn't give ground easily and didn't put himself against the cage, he kicked really well the whole fight, wrestled really well, hit usman with more hard decisive shots in the exchanges, worked the body a lot, and tactically cheated all fight long which is an extremely powerful skill in MMA lol. it was still a very close fight despite all that.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Cheat kune do is the best base for mma

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Foul Fowl posted:

i haven't rewatched it but it felt like he had a big advantage in footwork compared to the first two fights. he didn't give ground easily and didn't put himself against the cage, he kicked really well the whole fight, wrestled really well, hit usman with more hard decisive shots in the exchanges, worked the body a lot, and tactically cheated all fight long which is an extremely powerful skill in MMA lol. it was still a very close fight despite all that.

Good summary. His cheating was running up the very limit of what he could get away with (and past it when he lost the point), but always an extension of other measures he had in place that frequently were enough. Pulling out each cheat was an effective way to break up any momentum Usman could get and also bother him mentally. Bisping said something to that effect -- that Kamaru was complaining to Herb when he could have tried one extra thing to counter the cheat.
He was kicking more vertically to the inside leg in the later rounds, just courting a momentum breaking nutshot. Again, veteran moves.

I would add that Edwards used his height really well, making up for Usman's punch reach advantage and forcing Usman to always start offense from far out. He looked like the bigger fighter out there.
Even if he was getting pressured to the cage, he knew it was coming and had the escape work all cued up.

His counter-wrestling was efficiently deployed and got him out of bad spots numerous times. I dunno if his one early desperation shot was cuz he got rocked and decided he could get out of danger later after buying time by giving up back control, or if he thought it would be worth the risk just to throw Usman off his game.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

COPE 27 posted:

Cheat kune do is the best base for mma

Jon Jones' i poke u is a derivative

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

A hell of a performance by Gaehtje. He won that off extending the combos and remembering his jab in round 3.

Dirk Digglet posted:

Listening to Trevor’s advice with the jab to take the fight

There was a lot going on in that fight that I haven't digested yet, but here's my initial impressions after rewatching once with a lot of replaying exchanges.

First round was pure clash of styles and attributes. I was thinking that if Fiziev wins, it's because his chin let him ignore Gaethje's punches and stay in place tactically.
The commentary was talking about how Fiziev is extremely fast. Absolutely true, but I think not as big of a reason that he was edging out the exchanges in the first.
Gaethje has a hell of a chin too, and only stumbled once through multiple hard shots that landed on him.
I think what Fiziev had gameplanned for was this --
if Gaethje sees you coming in, he'll lean forward (cuz he has short arms and it's easier), through a looping overhand, left hook, and then the swinging baseball pitch right hand. The last punch is wild, but the first right is more disciplined, to the point that it's something you can draw out.

So Fiziev would stand on the outside and make multiple feints of coming in with a combo. He'd frequently gamble correctly that Gaethje was going to lean in, and beat him to the punch (thanks to his speed) or interrupt him with a flying/stepping knee to the body as he leaned and slip out of the way of that overhand.
The story of the first round was Gaethje looking to counter but being baited into unsuccessful combos. That said, he was still landing a ton of stuff because he's not _that_ predictable and still very fast in his own right, if not in the initial movement, then certainly in overall combo cadence.

Fiziev has a flaw that other fighters with the strong chin and speed combination can have -- relatively poor footwork discipline. He sets distance pretty primitively, either coming in on very quick but poorly planned steps, or staying on the outside and stepping idly just to not be standing still, showing movement but not really doing anything with it. The idle stepping on the outside is especially prominent for people who fight in both stances. Instead of developing more attacks that switch stance mid-combo, they retreat to the outside, flash some footwork, and end up opposite stance. This is a sparring habit. You make a clean escape to the outside, and your sparring partner lets you stay out there cuz you're sparring. And of course, you're a fast elite fighter and leave enough distance where chasing you down wouldn't be easy either. Good strikers who are slower have to plan out their footwork much more intricately because they can't afford any waste.

This flaw, in the 2nd round, combined with him slowing down a bit and also lack of adjustment when meeting some varied resistance from Justin, was where he lost tactical control of the fight. He was still stepping up to the outside of the pocket, feinting a few times, and coming in. Gaethje was now starting to slip to his right instead of leaning in, waiting with a counter uppercut to start his punch combos. Not always effective but scoring enough to give Fiziev pause. He'd eat a huge shot on the chin and freeze or back up slightly, and then take extra time to consider what he should do. Ironically, the commentary noted that Fiziev attributed the success of champions to their ability to adjust, so something he's gotta work on if he wants to go to the next level.

Wittman's advice after the 2nd was totally on point and helped solidify Gaethje's adjustment. He was already yelling a lot of tactical stuff in the 2nd. Just really shows how in-fight coaching can make a huge difference.
Fiziev managed to come out blazing at the start of each round, but he died off the quickest in the 3rd. He again resorted to the front punt kick that didn't work for him in the 2nd and got more damage on his eye, and again got hooked for it. It was a sign to me of how tired he was, using that to try to score but stay on the outside. Gaethje got really comfortable in the clinch and generally powered his way out of any danger there. He transitioned from lowering his lead hand while leaning in as a telegraph of a leaping left hook to feinting that and slipping to the right, or feinting it and going for a jab. After his takedown attempt, Gaethje really committed to the jab and just took over the fight from there. His jab is not that fast, but little telegraph, and Fiziev never saw it coming or committed to an adjustment for it.
He tried some lead body kicks as a counter to Justin slipping to the right, but gave up on it. Instead he just marched in and frequently got caught with Gaethje's next punch -- a pivot hook, another jab, or a counter uppercut after slipping.
Again, this is that flaw with being a fast guy with underdeveloped footwork. If the jab stymies you, it completely undoes your response time.
Gaethje's takeover off the jab in the last minute was capping off more than a round's worth of surviving Fiziev's heavy punches and making steady adjustment to his fast but relatively simplistic offense.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Leon Edwards has an all-time-great "caught red handed but refuses to admit wrongdoing staring right in the face of the authority figure unfinchingly maintaining innocence" face. p4p all time better than anyone. He looked as surprised as anyone else when the replay of him grabbing the fence came up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

"Seriously ref I didn't grab the fence it just kinda bowed in like that idk maybe colby pushed on it that was just my great wrestling."

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

https://twitter.com/bullyb170/status/1637261812612603908?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

lmao