Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LachlanJ
Nov 20, 2007

Get out of here O.M.A.R.

generatrix posted:

Ruxa, Patient Professor would make the golems a fair bit scarier. Leonin Abunas would give a bit more protection from spot removal. Starlight Spectacular can be ridiculous in any go-wide token strategy.

Thanks! Ruxa's cool but I think he stops working when a Blade or Wing Splicer hits the battlefield. Kindred Discovery tends to be a dead card in my hand, so I was thinking of swapping it out for Chromatic Orrery. I'm kind of at a point where I've played/playtested this one so many times it's genuinely difficult to see what other cuts need to be made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I was pricing upgrades to Prosper and got kind of bummed about how basically everything is impulse draw (and a bit of Foretell and Rebound) because casting from exile is a comparatively new space. It started feeling a bit one-note.

I've got a Vega The Watcher deck that also uses suspend and cipher (and Vega can also work with flashback or any other play from graveyard ability). I mostly built it because I always liked suspend as a mechanic.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

generatrix posted:

I've got a Vega The Watcher deck that also uses suspend and cipher (and Vega can also work with flashback or any other play from graveyard ability). I mostly built it because I always liked suspend as a mechanic.

Oh this looks extremely cool.

edit: What does your win condition look like? A version I watched on Youtube goes for a Drannith Magistrate/Knowledge Pool lock, but that seems like a miserable end to a fun game.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 19, 2023

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What does your win condition look like?

Combat, kind of a never-ending midrange.

Starts slow, but hits a point where evasive medium sized threats are coming out fairly relentlessly. Suspend creatures finally showing up, creatures coming in from adventure and foretell, all generating more card draw. Then there's the cipher/rebound/adventure/foretell combat tricks to help them punch through and keep Vega alive (also all generating draw).

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I got to play my first commander game this weekend. Chilled at a nearby game store and had several new ones torn by people running very polished decks (apparently I had the luck of picking the one store/event where the shiny stuff comes out). But they were extremely chill and super concerned with running me off by beating me too easily so they offered to lend me decks, took the time to explain stuff, lent me a playmat and generally were very nice. But I fully expected to lose and had an excellent time, even managing to win a game with some luck and a few good plays. It was also neat to see how important ramping is in commander vs your standard 60 card decks and how wildly stuff has changed in the years since I last played magic. I missed playing this stupid game. :kimchi:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So I pieced together a tentative Vega list. It needs one more cut to 100 at least, and maybe a couple more for lands still. Divine Reckoning seems like a decent candidate? Also, this is going in the wrong direction, but does a deck that draws this much want OG Kefnet? https://archidekt.com/decks/4195721

Elmnt80 posted:

I got to play my first commander game this weekend. Chilled at a nearby game store and had several new ones torn by people running very polished decks (apparently I had the luck of picking the one store/event where the shiny stuff comes out). But they were extremely chill and super concerned with running me off by beating me too easily so they offered to lend me decks, took the time to explain stuff, lent me a playmat and generally were very nice. But I fully expected to lose and had an excellent time, even managing to win a game with some luck and a few good plays. It was also neat to see how important ramping is in commander vs your standard 60 card decks and how wildly stuff has changed in the years since I last played magic. I missed playing this stupid game. :kimchi:

That rules. I'm glad you found such a conscientious group that has the social awareness to recognize EDH is supposed to be fun and wants you to enjoy it. What decks did you play, if you don't mind me asking?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Elmnt80 posted:

That's right, those extra 40 card slots you've got - all ramp.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

That's right, those extra 40 card slots you've got - all ramp.

- every Tatyova player, 2018-2023

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Just got my MPC foil proxies and these ones do have a strong smell. Not particularly bad, just a very distinct print shop smell.

E:

Goddamn it, I missed that the type line was wrong on this proxy, lmao

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 20, 2023

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

My tentative Vega list definitely needs a little more land, but it also feels like it has a kind of big amount of just non-games? Like playtesting it, I feel like I get into turns 7 and 8 having just done nothing.

Haven't abandoned the idea yet, but still looking at Tatsunari, Toolbox, and maybe Jan Jansen.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/712415038890180609/maros-march-of-the-machine-teaser

"A legendary creature returns not seen since Homelands"

Oh my.

E:

I think it'll be Eron the Relentless, since he's immortal.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 21, 2023

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Batterypowered7 posted:

Eron would be hilarious. Here are the options. My guess is Ishan's Shade, possibly back as his former white paladin, Ishan Restored or whatever. He's got protection from white so he's not able to be swayed by Norn, bingo bongo.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Autumn Willow is immortal too, and she was last seen waiting for an option that didn't involve her last resort of wiping all life from the plane in order reset the mana imbalance.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Joven's back baby

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Joven's really into Norwegian death metal.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Long shot silly guess: They fake us out, and it's not Wrenn and the World Tree, but rather Wrenn and Autumn Willow

More realistic guess: the version of Baron Singir that was supposed to be in Commander Legends that Gavin Verhey was really proud of but couldn't get past playtesting

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Legendary Ebony Rhino, now only {5} to cast.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I got to play my first LGS pods last night, got back into the game after ~20 years recently and have just been playing kitchen table magic with a few friends over the past month. Me and one other from my home games went to a casual commander night.

Game 1 - Three players, I was running a lightly upgraded Faldorn/Exit from Exile deck playing against a Arahbo cat tribal deck and a Jareth mono white token deck. Exile cards were treating me right and I had my way with the board. Some rules confusion when the Jareth player cast Valor Made Real on their Jareth and blocked my all out attack, and we gave the 11 damage to each blocked creature rather than distributing the power, wiping my board. I didn’t think that was right but didn’t want the game to break down into rules lawyering so we kept it moving. I was able to rebound and take the game, then looked up the rules on blocking multiple attackers to add a little insult to injury :allears:

Game 2: Arahbo returned and the Jareth player had another mono white deck, cannot remember their commander but their deck was table politics themed (you and another player draw cards, etc) with a new player rolling with the Gisa and Geralf Grave Danger precon, the player was a week into MTG and seemed like it was the deck out of box. I used my Zangief Voltron deck but used Kresh instead of Zangief on a whim, throwing Gief into the 99. Kresh actually worked pretty well as an alternate commander and he got pumped up to about 27/27 before taken off the board. Ultimately scooped first when the Arahbo and mono white players 2v1ed me while the precon player Was There.

Wanted to find a third game but was too hungry and left, but had a great time! I was worried that my decks would go up against some of the nasty cards you read horror stories about but it was a real good experience, and just learning about different types of decks and how they work was a great reason to go out and see what people are playing outside of the kitchen table. Can’t wait to do it again!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Finally, the legendary Uncle Istvan.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

There's a douchebag that shows up to Commander night at the store I frequent. Dude always builds very tuned, and what sometimes feels like borderline cEDH decks, steamrolls over a table around turns 5 or 6, and then says, "I didn't know it was gonna be that strong."

This was the same dude that got salty when my ancient Riku deck had a particularly good showing one day and decided to Stripmine + Crucible of Worlds all my lands the next game. This man shows up high because, according to him, he'd be too good for the crowd since he's a former Yugioh pro and all.

I've grown to really, really dislike this person.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Smoke weed, sling spells, be gay, do crime.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

He does the first two but manages to be obnoxious about it.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Batterypowered7 posted:

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/712415038890180609/maros-march-of-the-machine-teaser

"A legendary creature returns not seen since Homelands"

Oh my.

E:

Lorewise, Baron Sengir led his army through a planar portal right before the Great Mending, so he's somewhere and semi-active

Batterypowered7 posted:

There's a douchebag that shows up to Commander night at the store I frequent. Dude always builds very tuned, and what sometimes feels like borderline cEDH decks, steamrolls over a table around turns 5 or 6, and then says, "I didn't know it was gonna be that strong."

This was the same dude that got salty when my ancient Riku deck had a particularly good showing one day and decided to Stripmine + Crucible of Worlds all my lands the next game. This man shows up high because, according to him, he'd be too good for the crowd since he's a former Yugioh pro and all.

I've grown to really, really dislike this person.

Don't play in his pod then, and if questioned, give a polite "My decks don't perform on the same level as his and I'd rather have a more enjoyable game" or something

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Archenteron posted:

Lorewise, Baron Sengir led his army through a planar portal right before the Great Mending, so he's somewhere and semi-active

Don't play in his pod then, and if questioned, give a polite "My decks don't perform on the same level as his and I'd rather have a more enjoyable game" or something

Oh, the pods are assigned randomly. This is one of those "league play" situations. I've come to understand what decks I should bring to bring to the table if I land in the same pod he does.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That's rough, random pods with people who have different power level decks is something that's always gonna cause issues

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Archenteron posted:

I'm still sad that Innistrad wasn't revealed to be Ulgrotha post-Baron Sengir winning his war

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Archenteron posted:

He's been seen since Homelands, though https://scryfall.com/card/cmr/149/sengir-the-dark-baron

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ihsan's Shade was updated to "Shade Knight" with the creature type update, and Maro said one of the Phyrexian typelines is "Phyrexian Shade."

Not quite open-and-shut, but seems way more plausible than WotC trying to get us excited about Autumn Willow or Eron the Relentless.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Some friends have infected me with the magic bug and I'm going to pay them back by playing Slivers at them.

They were my favorite thing about MtG the first time I got into it and they still make a part of my brain happy.

Assuming budget is no barrier because I'm okay with proxies, I'd like to build a deck that I can alter to either work off Sliver Queen Infinite Bullshit or a swarm of large angry bug things turning sideways depending on how tuned the pod I find myself in is.

Is that a crazy goal? Should I just build 2 decks instead?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Slivers kind of build themselves. There's also a more recent 5C Sliver that makes all your Slivers indestructible. You can always just shove the other 5C slivers into the 99.

E:

There's also Allies, which is when someone at Wizards thought, "what if Slivers, but bad?"

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 22, 2023

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Not quite open-and-shut, but seems way more plausible than WotC trying to get us excited about Autumn Willow or Eron the Relentless.

Counterpoint, -gestures at the revamped reprints of Every Legends Legend-

Ego Trip posted:

Swapping out the commander between Sliver Queen and Legion/Overlord would probably do the job fairly easily

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

What's the better partner combo for dumb dumb durdley GB +1/+1 counter dipshittery, Reyhan & Slurrk or Reyhan & Sengir?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Morophon is a popular sliver commander too since out of all the Slivers, only 4 have two of the same color pips.

And if you don't run them you can have Jegantha as a companion.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I had a whole bunch of stuff including most of a manabase and some spicy creatures so I pulled the trigger on the rest of a Henzie Torre list. I don't think I've ever played Jund outside of limited, but god this guy has so much sweet action.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Uh, it's Halina.

It's a deep cut.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Alright, time to flatten these foils and squeeze the air out of the double sleeves.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Extremely classy 3.5e sourcebook you have there

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Recently instead of putting them under heavy books and board games, I've been packing them into a small BCW cardboard card box with scrap magic cards (basics) to bulk out the space until it's snug. It's worked pretty good so far.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Ego Trip posted:

Some friends have infected me with the magic bug and I'm going to pay them back by playing Slivers at them.

They were my favorite thing about MtG the first time I got into it and they still make a part of my brain happy.

Assuming budget is no barrier because I'm okay with proxies, I'd like to build a deck that I can alter to either work off Sliver Queen Infinite Bullshit or a swarm of large angry bug things turning sideways depending on how tuned the pod I find myself in is.

The First Sliver is my main commander for my sliver deck, as it has cascade and grants all other sliver spells cascade as well. I also have a queen, hivelord, overlord, and legion in the deck to switch things up. Keep in mind that the new commander masters set this summer will have a slivers precon as well.

Slivers rule. You have made a good decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

That rules. I'm glad you found such a conscientious group that has the social awareness to recognize EDH is supposed to be fun and wants you to enjoy it. What decks did you play, if you don't mind me asking?

As seems to be the theme in this thread with long time returning magic players, Slivers. I'm running the overlord as my commander but haven't bothered proxying the queen yet, just relying on an angry hive to beat faces in. I do have the other 5 color slivers in the deck and I'm working on fixing the mana base currently.

After this tho, a rat deck looks like it could be fun but I'll be proxying the colony rats/relentless rats. Marrow gnawer, a sac outlet like maybe phyrexian altar or something fun and I think its thornbite staff to give some infinite token gen and some other fun poo poo could be a good time.