Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/CntrLeafsNation/status/1637412838741274626

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The flyers letting provorov getaway with this bullshit made everyone else think it was ok

Also gently caress James Dolan for canceling the rangers night because he’s an abhorrent piece of poo poo

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

They lost outright to Arizona three days ago, but yes its annoying as poo poo. Learning to play the right way! (aka getting superstar goaltending)

it owns how vancouver has been practically eliminated from the playoffs in november for three straight seasons, but every year without fail they go on a heater near the end and it's enough to convince ownership that they're just one more piece away

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Arizona has 14/16 points over their last 8 games with a 42 million dollar roster.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Arizona has a better home winning percentage than some current playoff teams.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

does tempe even have full boards?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fisting by many posted:

it owns how vancouver has been practically eliminated from the playoffs in november for three straight seasons, but every year without fail they go on a heater near the end and it's enough to convince ownership that they're just one more piece away

Yup I did a bigger post on it last week. It's real and it sucks man.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

ThinkTank posted:

They lost outright to Arizona three days ago

It was points in 12 straight against the Kings, I shouldn't post before coffee.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

fisting by many posted:

This has pretty much been the DJ Smith Experience in Ottawa too. Go on a 9-game losing streak in October, no more expectations!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Levitate posted:

The flyers letting provorov getaway with this bullshit made everyone else think it was ok

Also gently caress James Dolan for canceling the rangers night because he’s an abhorrent piece of poo poo

Jealous of teams whose openly bigoted idiots are easily replaceable backup goalies, ours is the owner!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

This has pretty much been the DJ Smith Experience in Ottawa too. Go on a 9-game losing streak in October, no more expectations!

The Canucks season is so clockwork its zen.

September: solid preseason the playoffs are the only expectation.
October - November: multiple extended losing streaks with some humorous quirk that makes them headline news around the league resulting in a giant crisis of confidence and rampant excuses
December: claw back to .500 so the team thinks it has a chance
January - February: float well below the playoff bar but not so far that morons can convince themselves "they're just four games out!"
Trade Deadline: now is not the time to address our cap issues the best trades are at the draft
March - April: 15-3-2 run still miss the playoffs
May: drop down one spot in the draft lottery
Draft: Pick 10th. Now is not the time to address our cap issues the best trades are at the start of free agency
Free agency: Series of instantly regrettable big ticket signings. Disappointed in the season but this was always a year about growth. Now is now the time to address our cap issues the best trades are at the start of training camp.
July - August: massive pr campaign about how the team doesn't have any excuses this year
Training camp: as you can see by our play the end of last season the team has learned to play the right way anything less than the playoffs would be a disappointment. Now is not the time to address our cap issues the best trades are at the trade deadline

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

The Dirty Burger posted:

This was the Leafs' MO in the post-lockout seasons which gave us Nik Kypreos' infamous line of "in November, when the games matter."

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

https://twitter.com/BrianBeLeafs/status/1637444934054690816?t=ExH3LnZXZuttAgW0A109WQ&s=19

Last night really highlighted how it's better for Leafs fans to see a game in Ottawa or Buffalo. Looked like a great atmosphere

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ThinkTank posted:

and forgive me if I'm not convinced by Jeff Skinner seemingly having discovered the fountain of youth.

Sorry I forgot to address this Jeff Skinner slander. He “regressed” because Ralph Krueger was playing him 6 minutes a night on the fourth line and then made him a healthy scratch for the first time in his career. It was 100% the coach’s fault, he hated Skinner for some reason.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

So Kuzmenko is really talented but he is shooting 27%

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Sorry I forgot to address this Jeff Skinner slander. He “regressed” because Ralph Krueger was playing him 6 minutes a night on the fourth line and then made him a healthy scratch for the first time in his career. It was 100% the coach’s fault, he hated Skinner for some reason.

You gotta imagine anyone who speaks to Jeff Skinner for more than 30 seconds hates him.

Arabian Jesus posted:

https://twitter.com/BrianBeLeafs/status/1637444934054690816?t=ExH3LnZXZuttAgW0A109WQ&s=19

Last night really highlighted how it's better for Leafs fans to see a game in Ottawa or Buffalo. Looked like a great atmosphere

Seeing games in Ottawa is good in general.

Half the fans are there for the visiting team anyway, and the Sens fans have been broken for years already so they're always friendly and sporting.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Ryan Reynolds just got a massive payout though so maybe they don't have to be so depressive anymore

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Reimer is a loving dildo. Enjoy your last few games in the league, bigot. :byewhore:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

https://twitter.com/MoneyPuckdotcom/status/1637486286444347393

Moneypuck is a good site.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

He also finally eclipsed 63 points this year, sick bastard finished with that exact amount 4 times

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Diet Crack posted:

Ryan Reynolds just got a massive payout though so maybe they don't have to be so depressive anymore

He only gets about 20% of that, but yeah it probably makes his attempt a bit more realistic.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Man, I know goaltending is voodoo and that the Hurricanes' defense is way way better than the Red Wings', but it is insane to me that Nedeljkovic has been this bad since moving from Carolina to Detroit. Dude was a Calder finalist, got flipped for what felt like a very cheap price (a 3rd or a 4th, I think), and then gave up one of the worst goals of all time while also not looking good in general.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I don’t want it to be lost in the news cycle that last night the Sens scored this goal on Matt Murray:

https://twitter.com/TicTacTOmar/status/1637238701448126464?s=20

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I dunno, 'the leafiest goal in history' is a high loving standard.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It's because Skinner doesn't give a poo poo. Hope that helps

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Koopa Kid posted:

I don’t want it to be lost in the news cycle that last night the Sens scored this goal on Matt Murray:

https://twitter.com/TicTacTOmar/status/1637238701448126464?s=20

Also lost in the cycle is that fucker moved the net off its moorings again when he was in trouble :argh:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Also lost in the cycle is that fucker moved the net off its moorings again when he was in trouble :argh:

I think the net stuff has been way overblown this season but that particular one was incredibly blatant yeah

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pungry posted:

Man, I know goaltending is voodoo and that the Hurricanes' defense is way way better than the Red Wings', but it is insane to me that Nedeljkovic has been this bad since moving from Carolina to Detroit. Dude was a Calder finalist, got flipped for what felt like a very cheap price (a 3rd or a 4th, I think), and then gave up one of the worst goals of all time while also not looking good in general.

Almost like goal tending is often highly connected to the defending in front of it. I don't only mean the D players either as they have some good players there too, but Carolina controls the puck for larger portions of the game and Detroit is a lot easier to break down. Nedeljkovic is probably an okay goalie (and Grubauer is probably an okay goalie), but the defense in front really does impact things a lot.

It makes me think of Kuemper moving from Colorado too. They knew they could replace him with another decent goalie, because the style they play doesn't need world beating goal saving. But teams not dialed in defensively need that guy who's going to make the highlight saves 6 times a week to make the wins. Can't always outscore your problems.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I dunno, 'the leafiest goal in history' is a high loving standard.

It's gotta be Toskala.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

Yeah I think it’s part of how coaches have a shelf life. Eventually they get too far into trees sticking with “their guys” and not being objective enough about it and not realizing they’re sacrificing their teams record to be “loyal” to a few players

Yeah I don't think Sullivan is a bad coach but he's showing loyalty to bad players this year and it might cost the Pens a playoff spot.

I get that Hextall has limited Sullivan a bit with the roster as well but there's still options. He doesn't *have* to put Jeff Carter and Brian Dumoulin into high profile situations all the time. There ways to limit the damage they're doing, but Sullivan isn't going that route. He's doubling (tripling) down on them.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

WeaponX posted:

What a oval office

https://twitter.com/WildMN_34/status/1637186365015093248

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Dave Feschuk was right to harrass Reimer's parents imo

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

So it's kind of unsurprising to realise that Jon Root, who is now of Turning Point, was the SJ arena host for the Sharks, right around the time when Couture got the Captaincy and Reimer joined the sharks.

Small world eh.

Bay Area Shitcabal

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve posted:

His undying loyalty to his washed up vets doesn't require any assistance from the press to demonstrate, you need only observe the fact he continues to play them. And not merely play them but play them big minutes and the toughest shifts.

I hate complaining about Sullivan and try not to do it, because I remember Mike Johnston far better than I'd like to. But that pistol 's smokin'.

Part of a good GMs job is to remove these lovely team killing players away from his coach. Which Hextall clearly hasn't done....and has helped by resigning and acquiring others in that mold. It's great.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

fawning deference posted:

i think you'll find it's because he's just twice as good as every other hockey player on earth

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fawning deference posted:

He's a good player but everyone recognized this is an far outside the norm. A lot of goals are just randomly going in for him at the moment driven primarily by Petey playing out of his socks well. Kuzmenko is probably a 25 goal a year guy moving forward, but that's still a great deal at $5.5m. He's got excellent hands, is pretty quick and scores all his goals from just outside the crease. It's not like he's a sniper goalies don't have a read on yet. Most of his goals are tap-ins in front.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

He's a good player but everyone recognized this is an far outside the norm. A lot of goals are just randomly going in for him at the moment driven primarily by Petey playing out of his socks well. Kuzmenko is probably a 25 goal a year guy moving forward, but that's still a great deal at $5.5m. He's got excellent hands, is pretty quick and scores all his goals from just outside the crease. It's not like he's a sniper goalies don't have a read on yet. Most of his goals are tap-ins in front.

One thing that will change is he will eventually stop getting so much space. I imagine most teams opposition scouting of the Canucks this year involved laughing at whatever dumb thing was on the news cycle for that week and then noting 40,43 pretty good and that’s about it. Once players have seen him/ video coaches have done more tape on him he’s going to no longer get so much open ice so close to the net.

Of course if he does draw heaps of attention that isn’t a bad thing, might mean Petey gets a bit of space back for himself.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

VOTE1 posted:

One thing that will change is he will eventually stop getting so much space. I imagine most teams opposition scouting of the Canucks this year involved laughing at whatever dumb thing was on the news cycle for that week and then noting 40,43 pretty good and that’s about it. Once players have seen him/ video coaches have done more tape on him he’s going to no longer get so much open ice so close to the net.

Of course if he does draw heaps of attention that isn’t a bad thing, might mean Petey gets a bit of space back for himself.

This is the Canucks, he'll get demolished in preseason next year and never crest 15 goals again.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Part of a good GMs job is to remove these lovely team killing players away from his coach. Which Hextall clearly hasn't done....and has helped by resigning and acquiring others in that mold. It's great.

You can stick to your belief that Hextall is totally in charge and Sullivan has to accept whatever players Hextall gives him, if you want, but it's going to leave you sorely disappointed when Hextall is fired this summer and nothing changes.

I mean the simple fact that the GM is going to be fired and the coach is not is the proof in the pudding that the coach is the one with the power here. The very standard thing after a sorely disappointing season from a team whose ownership expects to contend is that either the coach is fired and the GM hires a new one, or they're both fired, or once in a great while the GM is fired first then the new GM fires the coach to bring in his own guy. If none of that is the case then the coach is the guy running the organization, and the new "GM" will effectively report to him, not the other way around.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Arizona has 14/16 points over their last 8 games with a 42 million dollar roster.

I was watching a bit of Arizona/Calgary this week, and other than Keller and Crouse, they it felt like a team full of create-a-players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Twin Cinema posted:

I was watching a bit of Arizona/Calgary this week, and other than Keller and Crouse, they it felt like a team full of create-a-players.

It's a good thing they got Anatoli Smorin at the deadline having since lost both Onson Sweemy and Willie Dustice to injury.

Kevin Nogilny is really coming into his own as well, he could be the next Bobson Dugnutt.