Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I just wish the game would stop asking me whether I want to cycle or play a Triome when I drag it out on turn 1 without any lands in play lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
Someone on reddit noted that Wrenn, Elspeth, and Teferi could combine their abilities in a way to do a semi-deus ex machina. Wrenn harmonizes with realmbreaker long enough for Elspeth to imbue the tree's seedcore with immense amounts of halo. Which is then accelerated through the entire system by Teferis magic. This spreads through realmbreaker and obliterates any phyrexians in an immense radius of realmbreaker tendrils as time-accelerated halo jets out into other planes.

This would destroy the invasion, and get rid of the threat of lingering phyrexian oil due to halo 'radiation' searing it away and weakening survivors.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
and then? just having a halo tree around doesn't make the game interesting

my bet is something that keeps them around but occupied, like they find a plane that is actually infinite, Blood War style

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

someone explain that twitch clip.. what did he take the 1 damage from
edit: oh mana confluence

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 18, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Strong Sauce posted:

someone explain that twitch clip.. what did he take the 1 damage from

Arena tapped his pain land when he was at 1.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Goa Tse-tung posted:

and then? just having a halo tree around doesn't make the game interesting

my bet is something that keeps them around but occupied, like they find a plane that is actually infinite, Blood War style

I think whatever they use to make the tree not evil will still mean a lot of planes are still beset by catastrophe of various sort. I kind of doubt they're just going to make Wrenn Godtree Planeswalker and will involve some kind of sacrifice, and ultimately they deal with the Phyrexian hordes one way or the other and there collective new problem is a World Tree seemingly connected to all or a great deal of planes, which may allow just about anyone and anything to skip through planes in ways they never dealt with before. In the absence of sentience, it would be an ecological nightmare of invasive species just happening to wonder through into another plane. With all the politics and evil forces around, this portal tree poking into your plane is now an immensely important strategic resource and liability.

I assume aftermath will be looking at the various first fires everyone needs to put out in their planes, deaths to grieve, heroes to call on, etc, and probably sprinkling in seeds of next new threats.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Silhouette posted:

Alara Resharded

Oh it's resharded alright

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Alara: Get Resharded In Here

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
Real glad we get to see a glimpse of old planes, just for them to ultimately serve as stuffing for the "we did not achieve victory without unfathomale losses" epilogue beat. (Mercadia died on the way back to the Rabiah scale.)

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Khanstant posted:

I don't know enough about Kaladesh to understand what this bronze lizard thing was about, guessing just a cool local creature or machine.

Saheeli and Huatli are friends/girlfriends/"roommates"(pick one depending on the mood you think WotC is in) so Saheeli has now made robot dinosaurs.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just did mystery booster sealed with a buddy, I got some sweet packs and was able to build an izzet deck with two izzet creatures, some eidolon that lets me steal a creature for a turn at start of each turn, and some cascade spell I never drew. Problematic Volcano was one of my playtest cards and honestly I think it could be a real card. My buddy didn't like the 4 damage, but I did since I don't think it'd be worth playing otherwise.

Problematic Volcano splits the board, left and right and creatures can't attack or block except for stuff on same side.

I also built a selesnya deck, with Thrun and Sevalia. Question about Thrun/Regenerate: buddy attack me with Vigor, 6/6 trample. I block with Thrun, Thrun does, now, if I regenerate, will I take 2 damage or 6 (or somehow 0??)? In game it didn't matter I was dead either way but for future reference how would that work?

Buddy had Mirrored Lotus in his deck. 0 mana artifact add 3 mana if any colour, create a token for opponent (that tap/sac for 3 mana any colour)

It was a really fun card in limited and I kind of think it could work as a real card? I'm guessing there's probably some legacy broken poo poo to do with it but they're playing the oops all broken cards format so, whatever. First game I used the 3 mana he gave me to cast something to give myself a good creature and monarch which I managed to keep most of the game. Second game I had some artifact destruction that in hindsight I'm not sure should've worked since he should've just tapped and saved in response? Third game he used it for Vigor and I used my token copy for Thrun.

What's the broken combo or format keeping them from printing Mirrored Lotus for real?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Khanstant posted:

What's the broken combo or format keeping them from printing Mirrored Lotus for real?

All of them. Noting that you get to use the mana on sorcery-speed plays that advance you towards winning the game, while your opponents don't get to do that unless you fail to actually win the game this turn.

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit

Khanstant posted:

I think whatever they use to make the tree not evil will still mean a lot of planes are still beset by catastrophe of various sort. I kind of doubt they're just going to make Wrenn Godtree Planeswalker and will involve some kind of sacrifice, and ultimately they deal with the Phyrexian hordes one way or the other and there collective new problem is a World Tree seemingly connected to all or a great deal of planes, which may allow just about anyone and anything to skip through planes in ways they never dealt with before. In the absence of sentience, it would be an ecological nightmare of invasive species just happening to wonder through into another plane. With all the politics and evil forces around, this portal tree poking into your plane is now an immensely important strategic resource and liability.

I assume aftermath will be looking at the various first fires everyone needs to put out in their planes, deaths to grieve, heroes to call on, etc, and probably sprinkling in seeds of next new threats.

Yeah, that’s how I think about it. The aftermath with most of the invasions obliterated due to a planeswalker combo channeled through the realmbreaker is going to leave tons of worldbuilding and setting space open for Wizards to play with in the aftermath.

The speculation is fun to think about.

The copper host might have consumed and processed a fuckton of amonkhet walking corpses and laid a stable network of metal plants everywhere that water can pool in when it rains and stabilize the sand of the desert with their roots to undo desertification. The idea of Amonkhet recovering from Bolas using stuff left behind by the invasion keeps coming to mind.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Saheeli and Huatli are friends/girlfriends/"roommates"(pick one depending on the mood you think WotC is in) so Saheeli has now made robot dinosaurs.

there's literally a story about them falling in love and going on dates, it's not a chandra/nissa situation

Jobert
May 21, 2007
Come On!
College Slice

Framboise posted:

I'd quite enthusiastically jump on the Conquest ship if people more actually played it.

I would play Conquest also! I have a few paper decks for Webcam games or can play on Cockatrice (when pods do form on Conquest Discord they use Trice).

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

What is Conquest, anyways?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I dunno, what's conquest you?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Have the Phyrexians gotten to Innistrad? Cause that might rouse The Moon

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

PlasticAutomaton posted:

A commander spinoff with a bigger banlist, 60 card decks, and in addition to the commander you also get a noncreature spell in the command zone that you get to cast with commander rules.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

A commander spinoff with a bigger banlist, 60 card decks, and in addition to the commander you also get a noncreature spell in the command zone that you get to cast with commander rules.

That's oathbreaker. Conquest is commander with a bigger banlist, 80 cards, 30 life and 12 commander damage. Basically conquest is commander with a bunch of the poo poo that the more competitive parts of the community have been clamouring for years.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 19, 2023

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

berenzen posted:

That's oathbreaker. Conquest is commander with a bigger banlist, 80 cards, 30 life and 12 commander damage. Basically conquest is commander with a bunch of the poo poo that the more competitive parts of the community have been clamouring for years.

No that’s Groundhog Day. Conquest is the one where bill Murray voices that cartoon cat

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mezzanon posted:

No that’s Groundhog Day. Conquest is the one where bill Murray voices that cartoon cat

Wasn’t that Lorenzo Music?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

AlternateNu posted:

Wasn’t that Lorenzo Music?

No that's Ghostbusters

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

e:nvm

Jobert
May 21, 2007
Come On!
College Slice

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Expanding off some if the other posts:
Right off the bat, reserved list is banned for increased accessibility. Also Sol Ring among other fast mana.

Also some fun unbans: Paradox Engine, Primeval Titan, Gifts Ungiven

Mostly I like the commander damage being set to 12. Gives Voltron decks a fighting chance against combo. Like my Haktos deck that doesn't exist at all in EDH/cEDH

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Probably missing something obvious, but what is meant by “commander damage?”

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The name Conquest makes me want to try a multiplayer MTG format where if you connect with creatures you can have those creatures sitting on opponents lands to let you use that land instead of them, but if they are occupying land they can't do anything else. Players can attack them to liberate the lands if they kill the creature.

Would it be a shitshow? Probably, but maybe a very interactive one with fun diplomacy.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Judgy Fucker posted:

Probably missing something obvious, but what is meant by “commander damage?”

Damage delt by the commander.
In EDH an alt win con exists where if a player takes 21 Combat damage from a single commander they automatically lose the game.
903.10a A player who’s been dealt 21 or more combat damage by the same commander over the course of the game loses the game. (This is a state-based action. See rule 704.)

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

The name Conquest makes me want to try a multiplayer MTG format where if you connect with creatures you can have those creatures sitting on opponents lands to let you use that land instead of them, but if they are occupying land they can't do anything else. Players can attack them to liberate the lands if they kill the creature.

Would it be a shitshow? Probably, but maybe a very interactive one with fun diplomacy.

I vaguely remember playing a CCG like that once. It was part of the CCG shovelware boom immediately after magic got big. I think it was DSA licensed, but I am not 100% sure.
It was extremely confusing to play even with just 2 players and quite boring.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Khanstant posted:

I also built a selesnya deck, with Thrun and Sevalia. Question about Thrun/Regenerate: buddy attack me with Vigor, 6/6 trample. I block with Thrun, Thrun does, now, if I regenerate, will I take 2 damage or 6 (or somehow 0??)? In game it didn't matter I was dead either way but for future reference how would that work?

Comprehensive Rules posted:

If the effect of a resolving spell or ability regenerates a permanent, it creates a replacement effect that protects the permanent the next time it would be destroyed this turn. In this case, “Regenerate [permanent]” means “The next time [permanent] would be destroyed this turn, instead remove all damage marked on it and tap it. If it’s an attacking or blocking creature, remove it from combat.”

Strictly speaking, your opponent had the option of dealing 4, 5 or 6 to Thrun and 2, 1 or 0 to you (you get to choose how damage is assigned in combat, just almost always it's in a way to kill most things - there is an edge case that sometimes comes up if there's a Blood Artist or similar on the board where you actively avoid killing more things). Regenerate removes the damage that's applied to Thrun and means he doesn't die. It doesn't reassign it elsewhere.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Strictly speaking, your opponent had the option of dealing 4, 5 or 6 to Thrun and 2, 1 or 0 to you (you get to choose how damage is assigned in combat, just almost always it's in a way to kill most things - there is an edge case that sometimes comes up if there's a Blood Artist or similar on the board where you actively avoid killing more things). Regenerate removes the damage that's applied to Thrun and means he doesn't die. It doesn't reassign it elsewhere.

Woah really? For some reason I thought damage wasn't assigned outside of multiple blockers, like you couldn't assign more damage to a creature in combat than was lethal, which is why deathtouch creatures just do one damage to the blocker then the rest tramples through

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
There's some weird edge cases like with death's shadows and trample where you want to deal more

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

There's a tick box for "auto-assign combat damage". Once in a blue moon you want to untick it for a second to avoid killing a creature in a double block or something.

Ah, thought I was in the arena thread. No tick box in paper.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Woah really? For some reason I thought damage wasn't assigned outside of multiple blockers, like you couldn't assign more damage to a creature in combat than was lethal, which is why deathtouch creatures just do one damage to the blocker then the rest tramples through

510.1c:

A blocked creature assigns its combat damage to the creatures blocking it. If no creatures are currently blocking it (if, for example, they were destroyed or removed from combat), it assigns no combat damage. If exactly one creature is blocking it, it assigns all its combat damage to that creature. If two or more creatures are blocking it, it assigns its combat damage to those creatures according to the damage assignment order announced for it. This may allow the blocked creature to divide its combat damage. However, it can’t assign combat damage to a creature that’s blocking it unless, when combat damage assignments are complete, each creature that precedes that blocking creature in its order is assigned lethal damage. When checking for assigned lethal damage, take into account damage already marked on the creature and damage from other creatures that’s being assigned during the same combat damage step, but not any abilities or effects that might change the amount of damage that’s actually dealt. An amount of damage that’s greater than a creature’s lethal damage may be assigned to it.

Important bits in bold (the first bit is why deathtouchers only need to assign 1, the latter is the bit I was talking about earlier)

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Important bits in bold (the first bit is why deathtouchers only need to assign 1, the latter is the bit I was talking about earlier)

Huh! Well I learned something new today

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ilmucche posted:

There's some weird edge cases like with death's shadows and trample where you want to deal more

That and bolting Tarmogoyfs is why modern players of a certain era know a lot about state-based effects

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I think having more than two players would make it amazingly confusing.

My wacky game mode is this, at the beginning of the game each player puts out 6 lands. These lands can be captured. In your hand you get 3 lands that represent your castle and can't get stolen so people don't absolutely land screwed. Each turn a player can play a land or steal one from the pile but if they do so it gets tapped. Combat damage also nets a land that also gets tapped. No lands in your deck so maybe the deck size is 40. Haste creatures are probably OP but this is just coming off the top.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

So if he didn't want to damage me, for some obtuse reason, he would just assign the 4 damage to Thrun and have nothing trample over? In effect you can hold back damage if you want. Oh man, I am too dumb to think of clever uses of this, but I am also too dumb to not try and have some fun in Arena later by not killing opponents creatures even though I could if I wanted. Head games.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Your opponent would assign 6 damage to Thrun and 0 to you if they wanted to avoid trampling over for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Khanstant posted:

So if he didn't want to damage me, for some obtuse reason, he would just assign the 4 damage to Thrun and have nothing trample over?

He would assign 6 to Thrun

Khanstant posted:

Oh man, I am too dumb to think of clever uses of this, but I am also too dumb to not try and have some fun in Arena later by not killing opponents creatures even though I could if I wanted. Head games.

Here's the example from earlier.

Let's say you're attacking into a Death's Shadow. They're at 10, you're attacking with a 10/10 trample. They block.

The Death's Shadow is a 3/3 when it blocks. You can assign 3 damage to it and 7 to the player, but if that happens the player will be at 3 and the Death's Shadow will be a 10/10 when state-based effects (like creatures dying) are checked.

If you assign 7 to the Death's Shadow and 3 to the player, the Death's Shadow will only be a 6/6 and will die.