Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Made a Ham Leek and Cannellini bean casserole, then used the leftovers to make pies. Makes for a pretty tasty filling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
burg

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Goddayum

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
looks great but judging by the height and slippery ingredient factor, I forsee everything shooting out the other side upon taking the first bite.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i ate the whole thing standing next to the sink, but miraculously i lost only a single shred of lettuce

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

kumba posted:

i ate the whole thing standing next to the sink, but miraculously i lost only a single shred of lettuce

well I was wrong as hell, congrats on the great meal!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

sterster posted:

Thanks for the recipe and all the help. Really we are just being more conscious about the amount of meat we eat. It was every meal all the time. Now we are starting to do the 1 day a week. I wouldn't mind doing more veggie dishes if I find stuff we can all like.

Cheese is fine.

I like Mark Bittman’s How To Cook Everything Vegetarian book. Most libraries or library networks have it if you want to look at it before you buy. It has a huge variety of dishes, most are listed with all sorts of variations.

It has a couple of my favorite easy dinners: Lentils and Potatoes with Curry, and Pasta with Fried Eggs.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
taco salad

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Greek Salad with chicken

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Today: tinga tostadas and elotes

Few days ago: beef stroganoff

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Bollock Monkey posted:

I would like recipes, please!

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/mar/02/jakartan-noodles-and-sulawesi-seafood-three-indonesian-recipes-from-petty-pandean-elliott

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Thanks, both!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
frittata time with whatever’s left in the fridge. Spinach, yellow bell pepper, shallots, garlic, jalapeño, cheese, and a little bit of salsa.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Beef Bourguignon

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Chicken Al Pastor (unauthentic) tacos

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Scallops St. Jaques (shallots, wine, mushrooms, gruyere)

Had frozen shallots that needed cooking... so I went with this Chef John video. Probably one of the best things I've cooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YymAA-1YrYQ

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Chef John rarely steers me wrong.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

I think the only Chef John recipe I've tried that I didn't care for was the sausage cheese balls one. Somehow dry and insanely fatty at the same time. I'm sure there's other stuff that I haven't tried that I also wouldn't care for (the meatloaf skull he did for halloween one year comes to mind) but he has an insanely high hit rate.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

I got the recipe thanks! I'm totally doing this soon!

Tell me more about the sauces and accouterments in the picture!

Question for everyone: so what's good to serve with this? Steamed white rice and braised bok choy?

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

Beef Bourguignon

Gah! This looks so much better than what I made a few days ago. Looks so good!

My gluten sensitive mom was visiting so I made a gluten free pot roast with an eye of round my wife ordered from butcher box, happened to have everything I needed in the house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN0wzWHwjnI

Slow and low for 8 hours, very tender but the beef was a little chalky and it made me wish I was eating a proper bourguignon.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
My only quibble with Chef John is that he gets hung up on only using The Real Stuff. gently caress that, Californian or Wisconsan parmesan is fine,you don't need to feel shame about not spending more money on imported cheese.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

BBQ Dave posted:

Slow and low for 8 hours, very tender but the beef was a little chalky and it made me wish I was eating a proper bourguignon.

8 hours in a slow cooker? 8 hours in an oven would be waaaay too long. Suggest maybe just crock potting into the oven for 2.5-3 hours depending on the mass of the meat, gives best result imho. I also do the spuds separate as that adds starch into the wine and whatnot when there's already flour and (I put) mustard powder in there.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Happy birthday to me.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Tendales posted:

My only quibble with Chef John is that he gets hung up on only using The Real Stuff. gently caress that, Californian or Wisconsan parmesan is fine,you don't need to feel shame about not spending more money on imported cheese.
Parmesan is a bad example because I’ve never had domestic Parmesan that was anything like the real thing. It’s not about the terroir imo, it’s about the process and the aging. I don’t think there’s any reason there couldn’t be a good US parm, but there isn’t a commercial one now afaik. Something like Belgioso is basically a young cheddar that’s never seen a crystal.

For some things it doesn’t matter, like if you’re pouring a cup into a tater tot casserole or meatballs, or using it for a salty note in breading, by all means use the green can. But if you’re doing something where the parm stands out, then yeah you really want the real thing.

If you haven’t had it before, get some of the super aged good stuff to try sometime. If you’re just using it for microplaning over the top of things, $15 worth will last you months and be totally worth it.

e: https://www.seriouseats.com/domestic-parmesan-taste-test-parmigiano-reggiano

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 19, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Anne Whateley posted:

Parmesan is a bad example because I’ve never had domestic Parmesan that was anything like the real thing. It’s not about the terroir imo, it’s about the process and the aging. I don’t think there’s any reason there couldn’t be a good US parm, but there isn’t a commercial one now afaik. Something like Belgioso is basically a young cheddar that’s never seen a crystal.

I wonder if this isa consequence of the just in time shipping phenomenon, where everything that's in storage is considered an expense.

"You want to just let the cheese SIT? And not be sold? For a YEAR or more?! Don't you know warehouses cost money?!"

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Anne Whateley posted:

For some things it doesn’t matter, like if you’re pouring a cup into a tater tot casserole or meatballs, or using it for a salty note in breading, by all means use the green can.

gently caress the green can. It doesn't even act like cheese. And if they could give you less "parmesan-like cheese product" and more cellulose, they would.

My local discount grocery got a truckload of parm shavings packaged in delitainers that were absurdly cheap, I bought one, was enlightened, and went back and bought a bunch more.

Circumstances willing, once this green can I do have is gone, I am never buying another green can again.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 19, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

I wonder if this isa consequence of the just in time shipping phenomenon, where everything that's in storage is considered an expense.

"You want to just let the cheese SIT? And not be sold? For a YEAR or more?! Don't you know warehouses cost money?!"
I think the problem is that everyone who cares has just learned to only buy parmigiano reggiano so even if an American company decided to compete with it nobody would buy it.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Naw the green can still sucks, straight up. Anyway, I'm not denying that the imported stuff is better, but a wedge of the domestic stuff is fine and if that's what's available to you, use it and don't stress about doing it wrong it or whatever.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Shakey cheese is perfectly fine when you just want to add some cheese salt to something or make buttered noodles drunk at 2am.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Drink and Fight posted:

Shakey cheese is perfectly fine when you just want to add some cheese salt to something or make buttered noodles drunk at 2am.

:hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCR_xdSuhjA

I went to the grocery store this morning and a wedge of parmigiano reggiano was $20 :negative:

I found the smallest block for $10 and told myself it was good actually because it always gets too hard by the end anyway

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

gently caress the green can. It doesn't even act like cheese. And if they could give you less "parmesan-like cheese product" and more cellulose, they would.

My local discount grocery got a truckload of parm shavings packaged in delitainers that were absurdly cheap, I bought one, was enlightened, and went back and bought a bunch more.

Circumstances willing, once this green can I do have is gone, I am never buying another green can again.

I grew up with the Green Can but my wife won't have it in her house. It's a guilty pleasure of mine.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Toe Rag posted:

:hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCR_xdSuhjA

I went to the grocery store this morning and a wedge of parmigiano reggiano was $20 :negative:

I found the smallest block for $10 and told myself it was good actually because it always gets too hard by the end anyway

When this happens you make minestrone. The end of the cheese goes into the pot, rind and all, for the last twenty minutes or so. Fish out the now goopy cheese bit and spread it on the bread you're having with the soup.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Block of parm should last months in the fridge without getting too hard. Wrap in cling wrap, then put in a ziplock bag. And yeah, add dem rinds to da soup

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Cheese in a can just immediately makes me think of cheese in military rations, aka constipation.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Put the rind in your tomato sauce. Softens the acidity and helps thicken it up.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
There's a pretty big price difference between Grana Padano compared to Parmigiano Reggiano in Europe- GP hits all the same notes for quite a bit less. I wonder if the same is true in the states?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Ime grana padano is somewhat cheaper but also harder to find and less well known. It is a good sub though

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

charliebravo77 posted:

Happy birthday to me.

I missed this but just wanted to make sure it was recognized. Any post in this thread that causes a Pavlovian response deserves a salute.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

Diet Crack posted:

Cheese in a can just immediately makes me think of cheese in military rations, aka constipation.

Sounds like you’ve never experienced Cougar Gold, the world-class award-winning cheddar in a can

No, seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

elise the great posted:

Sounds like you’ve never experienced Cougar Gold, the world-class award-winning cheddar in a can

No, seriously

Cougar gold is fantastic and makes a great gift. Just don't ask what kind of milk it's made from.

Especially don't ask what milk their viking cheese is made from.