Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Fifty million dollars?

Mark Zuckerberg could have funded that program and still had 99.9% of the money sunk on Metaverse left to light on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
to the surprise of nobody billionaires are sociopaths

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Businesses continue hiring so I don't think we're headed for a crash because even if they continue to raise prices that will simply create more competition in the labor market. I don't think the Fed is going to continue hiking prices at the rate they have been given the threat that doing so would pose to a number of different banking institutions. We are in a situation that has departed from typical economic cause and effect due to the Pandemic and the backlog of work that needs to be done + shortage of viable workforce.

Given the fact that some states are repealing child labor laws I don't think we're going to see the types of layoffs (outside of tech and other sectors that run off low interest rates) that we did in 2008. It's going to be a very selective trimming of the economy that is going to hit speculative markets the hardest. Bitcoin is not going to a million.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah I don't think this is a crash. I think it's just a symptom of corporate greed. Most of the firings are just emulating Musks takeover of Twitter (despite the fact that it's going badly) and there's not a lot of evidence that mass layoffs actually benefit any company in a crash anyways.

In reality it's more likely an attempt to disenfranchise workers by decreasing demand so they have to give up on benefits like WFH and other gains in employee rights

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah I don't think this is a crash. I think it's just a symptom of corporate greed. Most of the firings are just emulating Musks takeover of Twitter (despite the fact that it's going badly) and there's not a lot of evidence that mass layoffs actually benefit any company in a crash anyways.

In reality it's more likely an attempt to disenfranchise workers by decreasing demand so they have to give up on benefits like WFH and other gains in employee rights

Facebook/Meta had doubled its employee count from 2019 to its top in '22. 5x from 2016.

maybe they were just dumb and overhired

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Zuck just went into an employee town hall and made it clear they want people back in the office and got openly called out about it.

FB did a lot of dumb stuff but the mass firings across the tech industry are much more likely about forcing employees to bend over again for management.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WFH is such a massive improvement to lifestyle for a whole lot of people and I really hope they keep the throwing it right in these fuckers’ faces. Sorry to downtown smoke shops or whatever. There is so much good that comes out of this.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I work from home four days a week and it's awesome.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Work from home is awesome if you can handle it. I'm one of the folks who can't.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I only get one or two days home every couple of weeks and even that’s a life changer.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
My company was 90% WFH since 2007 (still had to come in for meetings and would habe on site meetings with clients), and went 100% in 2020.

I've been there for almost a decade and have seen some people who were good at the job itself but couldn't deal without the structure of coming into the office.

For me? Never going back to an office, but I get that some people need a separation between home and office.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Zamujasa posted:

if we are heading into a crash (and it's always easy to make claims of such)

People make entire careers out of this grift. Make doomer forecasts every month for a decade so that when a crash happens you can go on CNBC/FBN as "the guy who called it"

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

FB did a lot of dumb stuff but the mass firings across the tech industry are much more likely about forcing employees to bend over again for management.

I agree that a lot of companies want to make people come back to the office. I also like WFH and think full return to office is silly.

That argument about firings being the mechanism to reduce WFH doesn’t make sense though. if facebook wanted people back in, it can just mandate it. And if they don’t come back in then they have to quit and don’t get the same benefits as being fired. Banks (e.g. Morgan Stanley) are just requiring return to office.

I think meta just realized it overhired when it was seeing videos like this come from non technical employees fresh out of college who probably make more than 99% of goons:

https://twitter.com/parikpatelcfa/status/1584903790280511488

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

pmchem posted:

I agree that a lot of companies want to make people come back to the office. I also like WFH and think full return to office is silly.

That argument about firings being the mechanism to reduce WFH doesn’t make sense though. if facebook wanted people back in, it can just mandate it. And if they don’t come back in then they have to quit and don’t get the same benefits as being fired. Banks (e.g. Morgan Stanley) are just requiring return to office.

I think meta just realized it overhired when it was seeing videos like this come from non technical employees fresh out of college who probably make more than 99% of goons:

https://twitter.com/parikpatelcfa/status/1584903790280511488

Except that everyone is firing and hiring. It's not exclusive to FB.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Having the option to work from home as needed is a must, but permanently eliminating one of the few remaining venues of regular socialization outside people's friend groups sounds like a great way to increase isolation and decrease empathy, both with the gloomy consequences you'd expect. Aside from workplaces with toxic cultures where in-person interaction isn't any better, most of the complaints people have about the office actually stem from other fundamental problems in the way we structure our society.

Commute too long? Well, yeah, our land use policies don't allow enough homes to be built where people most want to live, so you either get cheaper further out or pay more closer in. Couple that with transportation policy that enshrines the primacy of the personal automobile and you've got gridlock, isolation, and frustration.

I've got a vehemently anti-RTO coworker who moved out of the city during Covid who asserts the city is simultaneously dying and adding too many new residents, the latter of which will extend his commute because he made the choice to buy a McMansion in the burbs with zero transit access. His solution, aside from no RTO, is to add lanes to accommodate more vehicles—only achievable by cannibalizing pedestrian, cyclist, and bus infrastructure, forcing more people into cars.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Except that everyone is firing and hiring. It's not exclusive to FB.

yeah, in general big tech went on a massive pandemic hiring spree. now business is normalizing and they’re undoing like a tiny bit of it:

https://www.fdiintelligence.com/content/data-trends/big-tech-layoffs-barely-touch-pandemicera-hiring-82050

also I should be more precise in terms in my post above; laid off people get benefits but fired people might not (it depends)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That TikTok is scientifically designed to make people on all sides of the political spectrum burst a blood vessel lol

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

pmchem posted:

eh. I think it's more of just the executive class made up of older rich assholes thinking that work is only done with butts in seats and the managerial class agreeing because they don't want the executive class to realize that their jobs might be a lot of make work for no reason.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Cugel the Clever posted:

Having the option to work from home as needed is a must, but permanently eliminating one of the few remaining venues of regular socialization outside people's friend groups sounds like a great way to increase isolation and decrease empathy, both with the gloomy consequences you'd expect. Aside from workplaces with toxic cultures where in-person interaction isn't any better, most of the complaints people have about the office actually stem from other fundamental problems in the way we structure our society.

losing that was good for me and forced me to start doing irl social stuff that wasn't work. the decline of third place social venues in american urban society shifting into some sorta weird 2.5th place work social environment wasn't great, it was just there and maybe somewhat a necessity with long commutes. sure, you get some useful inter-departmental interaction through spontaneous social stuff, but 80% of it was hanging out with people i wouldn't otherwise hang out with. im happier having joined a community sports league for the actual social poo poo, and while work hasn't quite figured out how to fill the gap for the work-related benefits, idgaf.

i will deal with some loss of work cohesion because it just doesn't matter that much unless you are really and truly invested in your company, and i have accepted that i am not one of those people. capitalism is a gently caress that i deal with out of necessity, and im better making friends outside the thing that im realistically going to leave after a decade. work social probably made more sense when being a lifer was something you could reasonably do if you wanted, but that's long gone for much of the american professional class

the options for socialization outside work have withered but we're better trying to build them again rather than saying "eh pandemic was an aberration and work social life is the ideal, we must return to it"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s a little ridiculous to point out that peoples’ issues with working in the office should be fixed by addressing societal problems while defending office work as some peoples’ only form of social interaction. That is clearly a societal problem that should be fixed sooner than the others.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

CommieGIR posted:

Zuck just went into an employee town hall and made it clear they want people back in the office and got openly called out about it.

That's pretty strong for a company faceplanting themselves strongly into the metaverse and telepresence. If they can't make WFH work for themselves, who else will

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Discussion Quorum posted:

People make entire careers out of this grift. Make doomer forecasts every month for a decade so that when a crash happens you can go on CNBC/FBN as "the guy who called it"

Recently someone responded to a comment I had made on another forum over a decade ago, in which I dismissed worries that the U.S. would see hyperinflation “like Weimar Germany”.

If they can move the goalposts like that, they can declare victory on anything.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

If I didn't go to the office 3 days a week I wouldn't see another human being. WFH is great if you live with your significant other but jesus I crave the human interaction even if its being in an open concept soul sucking job prison.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Swiss government figured out a way to resolve Credit Suisse: brokered firesale to UBS

https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/1637500414307311616?t=VKv2ugVGbtHBSG8p24BsRw&s=19

Original bid was $1B, went up to $2B, and on paper, Credit Suisse was worth around $8B on Friday. Lots of complicated financial backstops that are government-insured and poo poo like that. A lot of the "economy gonna melt down lol" takes don't factor in all the crazy poo poo that governments can do and broker to prevent the cascading meltdowns.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

facialimpediment posted:

A lot of the "economy gonna melt down lol" takes don't factor in all the crazy poo poo that governments can do and broker to prevent the cascading meltdowns.

it's unfortunate that the people at the banks themselves DO seem to factor these in as a business model

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

it's unfortunate that the people at the banks themselves DO seem to factor these in as a business model

Oh yeah, for better and for worse! But what's weird about it is that in these recent takeovers, shareholders are getting completely wiped out and bondholders (like $17B in Credit Suisse Bonds) are getting zeroed out too. And usually, it's this corporate stock stuff and options that are usually the executives' golden parachutes. Unless they already cashed out and sold them as they knew the banks were about to be toast (probably most likely).

Next time I'm bored at work or something, I should check into the treatment of CEO / golden parachute-types in the current environment versus 2008-2009. Or even if they hosed up their own severance packages, they likely just become:

https://twitter.com/TrungTPhan/status/1637195147640446976

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Wishing you all the kind of lovely Sunday afternoon/evening vibes that only a video of two Proud Boys- one with a bloodied face- being chased out of NYC.

https://twitter.com/ScooterCasterNY/status/1637508550103638019?t=854YvkZgQafAc4JhOMQoAg&s=19

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Wishing you all the kind of lovely Sunday afternoon/evening vibes that only a video of two Proud Boys- one with a bloodied face- being chased out of NYC.

https://twitter.com/ScooterCasterNY/status/1637508550103638019?t=854YvkZgQafAc4JhOMQoAg&s=19

don't ever gently caress with drag queens

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

To put it into perspective, last quarter Credit Suisse shareholder equity was $47.5 billion, and as recently as 2021 they had nearly $1 trillion in total assets (down to $556 billion last quarter as customers have pulled their money).

Six months ago the Saudi National Bank put $1.5 billion into Credit Suisse for a 10% stake which is now valued at $215 million with the UBS buy-out offer :laugh:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

don't ever gently caress with drag queens

I don't have much experience with the drag community personally, but nearly everyone I've known involved in the scene has been fairly heavily into 1) physical fitness, 2) assertiveness and confidence, and 3) very sturdy high heels.

It's always amusing when some idiot assumes they'd be an easy target.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I don't have much experience with the drag community personally, but nearly everyone I've known involved in the scene has been fairly heavily into 1) physical fitness, 2) assertiveness and confidence, and 3) very sturdy high heels.

It's always amusing when some idiot assumes they'd be an easy target.

that's exactly why you don't gently caress with them

because they're a target they have to be able to handle themselves, and they loving can

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

A shocking number (to those unaware) of drag queens are either straight or bi, and do hard-core traditional 'masculine' occupations. A whole loving lot seem to train in martial arts. I think many assholes have this idea that drag is test driving being gay or Trans, when it's really a form of entertainment. If someone explained to those dickheads "Do you get angry at the clowns at the circus? Because that is pretty much what you are doing here. You are getting angry that a person in cartoon makeup wants to make your kid happy for an hour with entertainment."

I don't have a lot of experience with the community, but the little I have showed that most of the performers will loving fight you. Not can, will. And many are vicious from years of abuse and intolerance. There was a very slight of frame queen calling bingo, and my friend Bob who knew her (I was told her in costume, him IRL unless told otherwise. If that's wrong, my bad) said, "You'd like her. She's fun, and stabbed a guy!" Apparently a tourist grabbed her rear end during Bingo, and she stabbed his bicep with a fork. No clue if it wad true, but it's a fun image.

I want to do a drag performance because poo poo looks fun as hell, and who doesn't love some Gloria Gaynor or Dolly? I know bearded Drag is a thing, but it feels wrong, which has been a speed bump in my desire.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Carteret posted:

If I didn't go to the office 3 days a week I wouldn't see another human being. WFH is great if you live with your significant other but jesus I crave the human interaction even if its being in an open concept soul sucking job prison.

Yeah my ideal scenario is WFH 3 days a week and go into the office once or twice weather/commute permitting. When I had this schedule, I was extremely happy with my work life balance. WFH full time can suck rear end if you have a manager who didn't get the memo that WFH doesn't mean "yeah I can work at all hours!" I had one manager who really respected people's boundaries and work hours, and another who would act incredulous that you didn't want to do weekend hours to make up for a volunteer day or whatever.

Honestly I think if people want to WFH full time and can do so without issue, they should be able to. But it's nice having an office I can go into a couple of days a week to help break up the work week.

In DC at least, employers seem to have gotten the memo to at least be flexible and let people WFH a few days a week.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

A shocking number (to those unaware) of drag queens are either straight or bi, and do hard-core traditional 'masculine' occupations. A whole loving lot seem to train in martial arts. I think many assholes have this idea that drag is test driving being gay or Trans, when it's really a form of entertainment. If someone explained to those dickheads "Do you get angry at the clowns at the circus? Because that is pretty much what you are doing here. You are getting angry that a person in cartoon makeup wants to make your kid happy for an hour with entertainment."

I don't have a lot of experience with the community, but the little I have showed that most of the performers will loving fight you. Not can, will. And many are vicious from years of abuse and intolerance. There was a very slight of frame queen calling bingo, and my friend Bob who knew her (I was told her in costume, him IRL unless told otherwise. If that's wrong, my bad) said, "You'd like her. She's fun, and stabbed a guy!" Apparently a tourist grabbed her rear end during Bingo, and she stabbed his bicep with a fork. No clue if it wad true, but it's a fun image.

I want to do a drag performance because poo poo looks fun as hell, and who doesn't love some Gloria Gaynor or Dolly? I know bearded Drag is a thing, but it feels wrong, which has been a speed bump in my desire.

Honestly give it a go. If you know anyone have a chat to them about it and I bet they'd be able to give you some advice.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

For once, the stereotypical NYC dickhead attitude is put to very good use.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Here in DC, we have this annual Drag Race down 17th Street near Dupont Circle, and it's a treat to watch. Not only do these queens show up in awesome outfits, but THEY. ARE. loving. FAST. There is nothing cooler (or more intimidating if you're insecure) than watching some 6' tall drag queen booking it at like 15 mph while wearing heels. I don't know how long I could run 15 mph in running shoes but it wouldn't be nearly as long.

Can we also acknowledge how loving based To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar was not even today, but in loving 1995 when it came out? You had Patrick Swayze, Wesley Snipes and John Leguizamo- all men who had huge roles as action stars- playing a bunch of drag queens who didn't take poo poo from anyone but were classy AF while doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duJbr9rkuRM

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Work from home / return to office should be driven by what makes people the most comfortable and productive, there's not really anything to it beyond that. For some people that means being in an office environment, for some people that involves being at home. But trying to force everyone back into an office for no reason other than "butt in chair" is laughably wrong.

And yeah, seconded on the "I don't want to do my socializing at work, with people I work for/with". I would much rather have a return to actually having proper third places.

While I'm wishing for the impossible I would also like several billion dollars and a functional pancreas.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Knoxville, TN had the "Drag Race Down Gay Street" for a number of years but I'm betting the local cops are under orders to book anyone who shows up this year.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

And yeah, seconded on the "I don't want to do my socializing at work, with people I work for/with". I would much rather have a return to actually having proper third places.

While I'm wishing for the impossible I would also like several billion dollars and a functional pancreas.

God please I miss having a third place. that poo poo died with covid and I want it back so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Can we also acknowledge how loving based To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar was not even today, but in loving 1995 when it came out? You had Patrick Swayze, Wesley Snipes and John Leguizamo- all men who had huge roles as action stars- playing a bunch of drag queens who didn't take poo poo from anyone but were classy AF while doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duJbr9rkuRM

"The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" is another pro-watch