Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

AceClown posted:

KFC in the UK is a complete lottery where one can be great and then one the other side of town is utter garbage

Can confirm, the KFC 5-10 mins drive away from me is slow and utter garbage, whereas the one 30 mins drive is usually okay. But if I gotta drive that far for fried chicken, I'll drive another 10 and get Jollibee instead.

Also, KFC in Korea is good (The double down zinger is a permanent item, and they sell portuguese egg tarts), probably because of all the local competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

I'm a little teapot, short and stout.
Here is my handle, here is my spout.
When I get all steamed up, hear me shout:
"Eeeeeuuuuuuuuuuggggggh."

Also, may I get probated with this image, please and thank you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

koshmar posted:

The irony is that KFC originated as generic gas station fried chicken.

Some of the best fried chicken in the Deep South is gas station chicken. Independent gas stations in the middle of nowhere that are also the grocery store

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

I've just eaten at McDonalds in Egypt (Sharm El-Sheikh, not Cairo). It was pretty weird, all the restaurants were closed or empty around lunch time (I guess everyone sits in their resorts?). It was completely unremarkable.

Now I have to try it in the US. Because here it's not bad, maybe not gourmet level "elevated" fried chicken but I have no issue with it.

In the US I tried Popeye's and wasn't particularly impressed.

Das Boo posted:

Nooooo, don't! It's absolutely inedible sludge. Colonel Sanders himself denounced it.

Yeah man, Popeye's is the new hotness trendy fried chicken that's "actually good" compared to KFC. If you weren't down with Popeye's then KFC is going to be your nightmare.

e:

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Some of the best fried chicken in the Deep South is gas station chicken. Independent gas stations in the middle of nowhere that are also the grocery store

So kinda like in Texas when you're standing in line at 3am at a street taco stand in the bad part of town and you hear gunshots like 2 blocks away and the sound of distant sirens never stops, you can confidently say to yourself 'These are about to be some goddamn amazing tacos :yum: '

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 19, 2023

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
In Detroit I get excellent fried chicken from gas stations all the time.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

I think this goes beyond cursed resume into cursed employee territory. We need to find and weaponise this idiot against more companies. Send them into Raytheon or something.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

ReelBigLizard posted:

I think this goes beyond cursed resume into cursed employee territory. We need to find and weaponise this idiot against more companies. Send them into Raytheon or something.

General Scheisskopf :patriot:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mauser posted:

General Scheisskopf :patriot:

“He wants everybody to march!”

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The Interns of the 5th Column

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/joshuarolson/status/1637218396302606336?t=0wcfXDjQOoubxoTEVgMiqA&s=19

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

This one can't be real, can it? Isn't Sandusky the Penn State pedo? JFC :psyduck:

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Yes, Timmy’s taking a ride with “Officer” Sandusky in his green “police” vehicle

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Railing Kill posted:

This one can't be real, can it? Isn't Sandusky the Penn State pedo? JFC :psyduck:

It's very real

it's an edit

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Takes No Damage posted:

So kinda like in Texas when you're standing in line at 3am at a street taco stand in the bad part of town and you hear gunshots like 2 blocks away and the sound of distant sirens never stops, you can confidently say to yourself 'These are about to be some goddamn amazing tacos :yum: '
I love this, thank you, I will keep this in mind when searching for tacos in Texas

The equivalent I learned from another Goon was when we were in Memphis and agreed we wanted barbeque and he said "I'll let you know when to stop." We got annoyed with him because he vetoed like six places based purely on how they looked, but then when we were driving through what I remember being a residential area he said "there, stop" and we pulled over at what basically looked like a war-ruined concrete bunker with smoke pouring out of it, with a faded hand-painted sign that said BOSS HOGG BBQ, and yeah it was basically the best food I had eaten all year

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Dr. Quarex posted:

I love this, thank you, I will keep this in mind when searching for tacos in Texas

The equivalent I learned from another Goon was when we were in Memphis and agreed we wanted barbeque and he said "I'll let you know when to stop." We got annoyed with him because he vetoed like six places based purely on how they looked, but then when we were driving through what I remember being a residential area he said "there, stop" and we pulled over at what basically looked like a war-ruined concrete bunker with smoke pouring out of it, with a faded hand-painted sign that said BOSS HOGG BBQ, and yeah it was basically the best food I had eaten all year

All the best Chinese food places in the UK now are almost always 3.2-3.5 stars on any given rating system. Usually not much more than a glazed hole in the wall, you can't see in or out because the inadequate ventilation means the window is constantly steamed. It will probably have a bunch of Chinese students from the local university eating there.

Often the only place to get good pig's ear.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

All the best Chinese food places in the UK now are almost always 3.2-3.5 stars on any given rating system. Usually not much more than a glazed hole in the wall, you can't see in or out because the inadequate ventilation means the window is constantly steamed. It will probably have a bunch of Chinese students from the local university eating there.

if it doesn't have 50 year old yellowing pictures of the food over the front counter, stay away

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thats kinda like my local Source (Canadian radio shack, are there even US radio shacks anymore?), except its a yellowed package aftermarket deck kit for some 90-something car, and its an indication of how awful, not good the store is

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Railing Kill posted:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

lol

There are so many accidentally terrible uses of quotation marks out there, why make any up? Boomers are out there churning that poo poo out on their own.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

boar guy posted:

if it doesn't have 50 year old yellowing pictures of the food over the front counter, stay away
Not sure if this holds for the UK, but a good Chinese restaurant in the US will always have a half filled fish tank with unbelievably filthy water. There may or may not be fish in it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Railing Kill posted:

lol

There are so many accidentally terrible uses of quotation marks out there, why make any up? Boomers are out there churning that poo poo out on their own.

I've had the image I used saved for years and years - it was nice to have an opportunity to use it. And there is a good chance both the fake book images originated here on SA - there are so many photoshops from here that end up in the wild and eventually find their way back that I'm no longer surprised when it happens.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

ReelBigLizard posted:

Isn't that like a thing with authentic places? Where white folks will rate based on service, but ethnic chinese will rate based on food, averaging out to around 3/5.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

cult_hero posted:

Isn't that like a thing with authentic places? Where white folks will rate based on service, but ethnic chinese will rate based on food, averaging out to around 3/5.

https://twitter.com/fwong/status/1569736492247044103?lang=en

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Love all the one-star Amazon reviews that say "never got it" or "sent me the wrong thing." Right up there with awful reviews of a recipe that reveal the reviewer swapped out one or more key ingredients, thus turning it into poo poo.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

That's also like reviews that go "Looks good, got it fast, haven't opened or used it yet. 5 stars"

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

User reviews run the economy

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Same family as one-star Yelp reviews "drove by the place and didn't go in, looked not good"

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

went to a ramen place with the best yelp reviews in florida once, the ramen we received was spaghetti in campbells chicken broth with "asian veggie mix" floating in it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sellers on Amazon play multiple games to get good reviews. One is that they'll sell a cheap, impossible to screw up item and get good reviews for it. Then they'll do a trick where they'll keep the listing but change what the item is and keep all the good reviews. Another trick is to just straight up buy good reviews from customers. They'll send the item and enclosed in the package is a slip of paper saying "give us a five star review and we'll give you an Amazon gift card."

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
https://twitter.com/Eve6/status/1637612109319270401?s=20

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Its similar but different in the UK - it's not the service so much but the food. Average Brit thinks all Chinese food is UK Chinese Takeaway and will basically have an aneurism when presented with real food.

1/5 "did not even do lemon chicken or chips can't see this place lasting long when the staff haven't heard of crispy chili beef"

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

ReelBigLizard posted:

Its similar but different in the UK - it's not the service so much but the food. Average Brit thinks all Chinese food is UK Chinese Takeaway and will basically have an aneurism when presented with real food.

1/5 "did not even do lemon chicken or chips can't see this place lasting long when the staff haven't heard of crispy chili beef"

I don't really know anything about UK Chinese food, but I really hate this argument about American Chinese food that it isn't "authentic" when it's dishes invented and made by Chinese Americans. It's not the same as cuisine from the mainland for sure, but it's like saying chicken tikka masala isn't "authentic" Indian food because it was invented in London.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

This is a really good video on the subject https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HFFxihgfzI

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

more falafel please posted:

I don't really know anything about UK Chinese food, but I really hate this argument about American Chinese food that it isn't "authentic" when it's dishes invented and made by Chinese Americans. It's not the same as cuisine from the mainland for sure, but it's like saying chicken tikka masala isn't "authentic" Indian food because it was invented in London.

IMO when it's invented specifically to appease the tastes of the local culture, and doesn't get back-ported to the indigenous culture, it's fair to say it isn't authentic. It's just Chinese-American or Anglo-Indian or whatever. Theres nothing inherently wrong, better or worse about it, it's just different.

E: for the avoidance of doubt I'm saying what's cursed is caring about Authenticity as the sole arbiter of quality. It's ok to distinguish indigenous from diaspora culture, just not ok to discriminate based on it.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 20, 2023

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

How is this cursed? She only had angel hair and needed fettuccine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Oscar Wild posted:

How is this cursed? She only had angel hair and needed fettuccine