Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

evil_bunnY posted:

Modern ferraris are quite reliable.

I’m sorry friend but you just lost credibility for writing this. :(

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4026034&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=61

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

F1 isn't consumer cars

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Let me know what dealers carry those!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

MrL_JaKiri posted:

F1 isn't consumer cars

evil_bunnY posted:

Let me know what dealers carry those!

A sad lack of Italian passione in the cycling thread. For shame.

:ferrari:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Ferrari's F1 unreliability is such a meme at this point that you're really going to have to be more specific when making any kind of 'Ferrari = reliable' claim

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Vando posted:

Ferrari's F1 unreliability is such a meme at this point that you're really going to have to be more specific when making any kind of 'Ferrari = reliable' claim

🤌

Residency Evil posted:

A sad lack of Italian passione in the cycling thread. For shame.

:ferrari:

🤌

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Do you end up riding out to obstruction point? I think I'll try it this year for the first time

Riding out to obstruction point is fun, it's a good other viewpoint and feels a lot more remote than the hustle and bustle of the visitor center, but it's a rougher road than I expected. You should do it, just bring your good legs. I agree that descending the hurricane ridge road is definitely the highlight of the whole thing.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

New gravel rig.

eTap XPLR is great. Waxed chains are great. Varia radar is great. Bikes are great.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

amenenema posted:

New gravel rig.

eTap XPLR is great. Waxed chains are great. Varia radar is great. Bikes are great.

Your saddle looks like it’s tilted back about 5 degrees?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

amenenema posted:

New gravel rig.

What kind of bike is that? Looks quick!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

wooger posted:

Your saddle looks like it’s tilted back about 5 degrees?

What works for me is the rear/wide part of the saddle around flat or a degree up, so then you get a few degrees up on the nose; pic exaggerates it a bit too.

bicievino posted:

What kind of bike is that? Looks quick!

Scott Speedster Gravel 10. It's on the more road bike geo side of gravel (same as their Addict Gravel but in aluminum) so yeah has a roadie feel to it!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

amenenema posted:

New gravel rig.

Hell yea

Waxed chains and terra speeds owns

I took the fenders off for the next 7 mo and put my zipp 303fc back on for a fitty bomb today.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I have a Specialized Power Pro Mirror on my trainer bike that I got last fall and I like. It looks like it's on sale again for $225.

It would be absolutely idiotic to pay an extra $100 for the S-works version to save 50 grams on my outdoor bike right?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Has anyone heard of an adapter or modification that would allow you to use old canti or linear pull rim brakes with levers designed for hydraulic disc brakes? I'm sure it's unlikely, but I just wanted to exhaust my options.

I have been itching to start a new commuter project, and I found a pretty good deal on Shimano's failed bullhorn STI concept:

But they only sell them for hydraulic brakes. I'm swimming in rim wheelsets and brakes, so I'd love to hear that there's an option out there.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I have a Specialized Power Pro Mirror on my trainer bike that I got last fall and I like. It looks like it's on sale again for $225.

It would be absolutely idiotic to pay an extra $100 for the S-works version to save 50 grams on my outdoor bike right?

$2/gram? Not if you're paying for it yourself, IMO

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

when i built up my bike i went with a super thin 00 fizik areone and it ended up jabbing my gouch in such a way that you could feel it even through the bibs so i just put my old saddle (also a fizik areone) back on

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

I paid for carbon rails on my Fizik Antares (R1 vs R3) to go on my road bike. Then I got a new gravel bike and now my road bike doesn't leave the trainer. Hope that helps lol

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Baronash posted:

Has anyone heard of an adapter or modification that would allow you to use old canti or linear pull rim brakes with levers designed for hydraulic disc brakes? I'm sure it's unlikely, but I just wanted to exhaust my options.

I have been itching to start a new commuter project, and I found a pretty good deal on Shimano's failed bullhorn STI concept:

But they only sell them for hydraulic brakes. I'm swimming in rim wheelsets and brakes, so I'd love to hear that there's an option out there.

I hardly see how combining hydro levers with mechanical brakes could work, but I'd look into Magura's hydraulic rim brakes and if they would work with those levers. I've understood that if you can connect the lever with the brake hydros often work okay together even if they're different brands. Seems like a great project!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Baronash posted:

Oh my god this is what I need for my orange neutrino mini velo project its perfect.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Discount Bike is at my LBS for professional assembly because warranty. I found a powdercoating flaw with one of the pedals, and the saddle is missing a decorative rivet, so already I get to play the customer service game, but at least these issues are purely cosmetic. I told the shop not to hesitate to get ahold of me if there's a defect in the frameset or anything else.

Will I set it up for single speed to slowly tool around town, cruise around the campsite, or go on leisurely rides around the local trails? Or will I set it up as a fixie so I can enjoy the extra knee pain and embarrassing falls?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Found an 53/39 DA R9000 crankset for cheap. 300 km on it, $275 cad. Guy also has an 11-25 for a really good deal, like $75. Not sure it would find much use, maybe on my CX bike if I race it this year.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Didn't buy the cassette but it was in great shape.

Say hello to my new ticking time bomb as I see if I can get my other crank replaced.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Havana Affair posted:

I hardly see how combining hydro levers with mechanical brakes could work

There used to be these headtube-mounted devices that used cable pulls from STIs to actuate a hydraulic piston. I was hoping that the reverse might have existed, but there's really no reason it would have. I'll take a closer look at those Maguras though, thanks.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Baronash posted:

If you have canti bosses get magura HS33's. They haul you down with a quickness.
I put a front hs11 on my spouse's dutch grandma step-through frame and on dry pavement it would legit bend the frame and fork.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 22, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

amenenema posted:

I paid for carbon rails on my Fizik Antares (R1 vs R3) to go on my road bike. Then I got a new gravel bike and now my road bike doesn't leave the trainer. Hope that helps lol

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

$2/gram? Not if you're paying for it yourself, IMO

numberoneposter posted:

when i built up my bike i went with a super thin 00 fizik areone and it ended up jabbing my gouch in such a way that you could feel it even through the bibs so i just put my old saddle (also a fizik areone) back on

The Power Pro with mirror gently caresses my gooch in such a way that I have rock hard erections the entire ride without any numbness.

I'm still on the fence because the carbon finish on the S-Works version is just so pretty. :negative:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Residency Evil posted:

I'm still on the fence because the carbon finish on the S-Works version is just so pretty. :negative:
Justify it by saying it'll get you to ride more miles, eventually achieving a lower $/distance.
But be sure to not ride those extra miles.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Sup - just reached $0.75 per mile on my road bike purchase.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Sab0921 posted:

Sup - just reached $0.75 per mile on my road bike purchase.

My lowest is at $0.25/mi, my highest is at $10/mi. Oof.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

bicievino posted:

My lowest is at $0.25/mi, my highest is at $10/mi. Oof.

How do you all keep track of per-bike mileage?

I get that different sensors of some sort on each bike makes it possible to track, but does garmin or Strava make this possible as an auto tracked feature?

Please don’t tell me you’re manually setting the gear for every ride - that seemed to be the only way to do it in Strava last time I looked.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I just set the bike in Strava, yeah. How else would it know? Suppose you could have ride type defaults (Gravel -> Bike A, Road -> Bike B).

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

vikingstrike posted:

I just set the bike in Strava, yeah. How else would it know? Suppose you could have ride type defaults (Gravel -> Bike A, Road -> Bike B).

Auto mapping a speed sensor, power sensor etc to belong to a specific bike and auto identify it. Seems an obvious feature to me.

No chance I’m manually setting stuff on every ride I upload, I don’t even look at >50% of them.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

wooger posted:

Auto mapping a speed sensor, power sensor etc to belong to a specific bike and auto identify it. Seems an obvious feature to me.

No chance I’m manually setting stuff on every ride I upload, I don’t even look at >50% of them.

ActivityFix does this by sensor ID. It detects sensor x, it changes the gear to X bike on Strava. Easy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

wooger posted:

Sounds like another subscriber feature is imminent

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Sounds like another subscriber feature is imminent

They’d have to restore the ability to connect anything besides HR monitors to the Strava app to do that. :eng99:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I use the same Garmin for all my bikes so yeah I just have to pick which one. But if you're already editing the ride to name it or add pictures it's just a simple pull down on the main edit page.

Veloviewer is another thing I use sometimes that will give you hours per bike per year, and avg time and elevation and such.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

It's part of my routine to change the bike if necessary as I'm in there doing an elevation correction anyways because the Garmin Edge 510 can be up to 10% short for elevation, I've noticed any ways. ^^^^^And coming up with a witty ride name title.

Cervelo R5: $0.85 loonies per km
Focus Mares: $0.70 per km
Tk3: $0.75 per km

I no longer own it but my $100 Caad7 was $0.02 per km.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

bicievino posted:

Personally I wouldn't buy any carbon rim brake wheels besides HEDs with their aluminum brake track, but I live somewhere with both hills and rain.

I'm still keeping the Ardennes RA black rim in mind (between DT RR411 rims, Pacenti forza, Boyd Altamont and the Farsports carbon). I can't seem to find any rims with the same black machined brake track anywhere apart from the complete wheelset from HED. Are the HED Sonic 515 hubs they come with good?

paberu fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 23, 2023

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Don't know about the hubs but HED rims are super nice. I have the Belgium+ and they have been great. Brake track still in awesome shape. Regarding the black rims I had some H+Sons a while back and they were full anno and the brake track doesn't take long to wear off. HED is probably doing something different but it's gotta wear off eventually right?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
They finished assembling my bike... but I can't pick it up tonight because the shop is closing before I could get there. Poop. At least it'll be pissing down rain tomorrow. Maybe I can get it in the back of my vehicle.

They didn't find any surprises, which is good to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Does anyone make a deep section aero rim in 20" sizes?