Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

kecske posted:

basically you can spend every night for the rest of forever faffing about with peanut butter and live-catch boxes, attempt poison and wonder if that smell is a decaying corpse under the floor, or you can dehumanise yourself and face to sticky boards. until mice enlighten themselves to the truths of buddhism and overcome desire they are doomed to suffer.

also, there is never just one mouse. Buy a bunch of wire wool and get to plugging holes

I think this is the answer. Going to order some and get to work.

HopperUK posted:

What does the landlord reckon you should do about the mouse?

Haven't told him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

bessantj posted:

I think this is the answer. Going to order some and get to work.

Haven't told him.

Don't tell him about the cat either.

e: serious answer, if you have a Model Tenancy Agreement then the default position is that pets are allowed. If you request one, the landlord has to provide a written response within 28 days justifying why a pet isn't allowed.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 19, 2023

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

kecske posted:

.....or you can dehumanise yourself and face to sticky boards...

also, there is never just one mouse. Buy a bunch of wire wool and get to plugging holes

Stickies work, but i will try to never use them again.... ever.

Wish i had found out about wire wool sooner as it did the job for me.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

HopperUK posted:

What does the landlord reckon you should do about the mouse?
Most likely charge them for an extra occupant.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

bessantj posted:

People are right to hate us.

I have a problem and wonder if anyone here can help. We have a mouse in the house, the missus bought several mouse traps and put hazelnut chocolate on them because she read that it's their favourite thing. We came down in the morning to find all the traps licked clean, she bought those devices that emit a sound humans can't hear but drive mice and the like away however, after several days it's still around. I'm not sure what it's eating as we've checked the food and can't find anything with nibbles out of it. I've tried to grab it a couple of times but it's a fast little bugger. Has anyone had experience of getting rid of them?

I live in a converted farm shed and have mice all the time. Even with this collection of free loaders doing next to nothing apart from doing the animal equivalent of occasionally going "quiet. Did you hear that?"

I spent one summer during Covid times catching mice, cataloguing them, and releasing them back into the wild.

Here is what I can tell you.

1) Killing them is pointless.
Apart from the inhumane ideas about killing a creature just because it's in your home, it doesn't work. I catalogued the mice I caught and released. I even marked them with nail polish on their claws before releasing them. The only time one I caught and released came back into the house, it was when I released it next door, instead of driving 5-10 minutes into the country side.
What I learned is if you kill a mouse, another one will replace it if there is a way in.
You are better off catching a mouse, releasing it somewhere very far away and then finding out how they are getting in and blocking it off.
(Expanding foam or cement are all good. Wire wool can work.)

2) To catch the mouse, I recommend this trap on Amazon.

https://amzn.eu/d/eQghFw0

Foe bait Peanut Butter or Nutella works well.
The trick is, put a small amount inside a miniature paper cupcake/bun paper mold. This is to make it easier to clean up.

Next, put the moud with the bait in it as near to the back of the trap as possible.
Next you want to out a bunch of torn up cardboard into the tube of the trap. Try and arrange it so that it doesn't set off the trap mechanism and that the mouse can get past it.
Ideally, you want an obstacle to slow down the mouse, but it will still be able to overcome. It also means that when the mouse makes it to the bait, it can't just dash out with it, the paper acts as a barrier.

Lastly, check the trap every day. If it goes off without catching anything, reset and try again.
Eventually, it will work.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

^^^ Thank you for the advice ^^^ I am going to try plugging the holes, expanding foam for the outside holes is a good idea ^^^

Lungboy posted:

Don't tell him about the cat either.

e: serious answer, if you have a Model Tenancy Agreement then the default position is that pets are allowed. If you request one, the landlord has to provide a written response within 28 days justifying why a pet isn't allowed.

I'll have a look and ask the missus what she thinks about getting one if we can.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Pro tip: don't get a humane trap and then forget about checking it after a while because it never catches anything until one day you remember and go to tidy it away and there's a small puddle of fur and bones in it and you feel Sad

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
What colour polish was best for getting the mice to visit your salon? I mean trap.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The mice we used to get (probably still have them but haven't seem them in a bit) never, ever went into a humane trap. They outsmarted us at every turn.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Endjinneer posted:

What colour polish was best for getting the mice to visit your salon? I mean trap.

It was one my wife had but never used so she let me use on the mice.

It was red. I thunk called Heartbreaker red.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I did a bit of googling into Calvin Robinson last night, and wasn't totally shocked to discover that he only seemed to become interested in religion in 2020, where he did a crash course doctorate. He tried joining the regular Anglican church when he graduated in 2022 but they failed to offer him a place due to his lovely right wing views, so he created a public scene and joined the breakaway wing where he was immediately gifted the position of Deacon.

Digging prior to 2020, and he was the poster child of the department of Education

https://web.archive.org/web/20170929081957/http://www.calvinrobinson.org/

https://twitter.com/NewJournal/status/885492926264029184

He was gifted platforms in the national press to publish some very right wing views: https://archive.is/ZwLIs as well as in his blog https://web.archive.org/web/20170720100137/http://www.calvinrobinson.org/category/education-blog/

All of that is scrubbed from today's site where he's now obviously being promoted as an ultra religious high ranking and respected 'Deacon' with a TV show, but he's a total manufactured fraud.

His website snapshots go all the way back to 2003, which could lead down some interesting rabbit holes https://web.archive.org/web/20030218144714/https://www.calvinrobinson.com/

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
How can you be called Calvin and not be a Calvinist, disgraceful.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It all seems like an obvious attempt to replicate the American White Evangelical idea of having some reactionary ultraprod self-claimed voice of the Almighty telling people what's right and wrong by way of stoking the culture wars, but trying to shove it through a tradition that cares more about lighting the candles in the right order than whatever GBNews is currently mad about.

I guess the correct answer to "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, "Let me take the speck out of your eye," when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." was surprisingly not supposed to be "Because 55 Tufton Street is paying me to ignore my own plank."

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Deep down, he's really just one of us

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Just seen a couple of pages back that you guys are getting emergency alerts.

You're in for a treat. We get those here in Canada, and they loving suck. Apparently they feel the need, whenever there is a child kidnapped anywhere in Ontario, to send an alert out across the whole of Ontario. Of course, Ontario is loving huge, so quite often you get alerts for somewhere that is over 1000km away. Also fairly often it's just like "A child named [x] has been abducted, she may be with her father [y], last seen at [time] in [super faraway place]" and that's it. Like.... great if you know what those people look like I guess.

Also they make an insanely loud noise - much louder than I realised my phone's speaker could go, and it freaks my cats the gently caress out every single time.

That said, we have had a couple of useful warnings - we had one that told us we might be in the path of a tornado, and another one which told us we were in the path of a very severe storm, which, yeah, did knock our fence down and leave tons of people without power for days.

Oh, also, in Canada the alerts are mandatory, you can't turn them off.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

fuctifino posted:

I know that we all had terrible usernames at 17 but I do feel we should call Mr. Robinson "BaDDaSS" from now on

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

WhatEvil posted:

Just seen a couple of pages back that you guys are getting emergency alerts.

You're in for a treat. We get those here in Canada, and they loving suck. Apparently they feel the need, whenever there is a child kidnapped anywhere in Ontario, to send an alert out across the whole of Ontario. Of course, Ontario is loving huge, so quite often you get alerts for somewhere that is over 1000km away. Also fairly often it's just like "A child named [x] has been abducted, she may be with her father [y], last seen at [time] in [super faraway place]" and that's it. Like.... great if you know what those people look like I guess.

Also they make an insanely loud noise - much louder than I realised my phone's speaker could go, and it freaks my cats the gently caress out every single time.

That said, we have had a couple of useful warnings - we had one that told us we might be in the path of a tornado, and another one which told us we were in the path of a very severe storm, which, yeah, did knock our fence down and leave tons of people without power for days.

Oh, also, in Canada the alerts are mandatory, you can't turn them off.

If the phone is off or on silent do they still get through? I turn my phones off at night unless I need an alarm to get up. I do have a non-smart phone with a non-functioning SIM in it (it won't work without a SIM so I use an old long-expired one).

fuctifino posted:

I did a bit of googling into Calvin Robinson last night, and wasn't totally shocked to discover that he only seemed to become interested in religion in 2020, where he did a crash course doctorate. etc

Is that like a Gillian McKieth doctorate? (Like when some journo's cat also got a doctorate from the same place as her?)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Juxtaposition on twitter feed

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Is that like a Gillian McKieth doctorate? (Like when some journo's cat also got a doctorate from the same place as her?)

He went to St Stephen's House, Oxford according to his no doubt sanitised wikipedia page. I have no idea how any of these theological Harry Potter houses work

He did get banned from Habbo and I note is avatar was grey. He was truly one of us at one point. I bet he has an account here....

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 20, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

fuctifino posted:

He went to St Stephen's House, Oxford according to his no doubt sanitised wikipedia page. I have no idea how any of these theological Harry Potter houses work

He did get banned from Habbo and I note is avatar was grey. He was truly one of us at one point. I bet he has an account here....

Just looked up a bit more about him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_Robinson

quote:

Between 2019 and 2021, he was a school governor and trustee at the Michaela School in Wembley.

That school is where the dreaded "girls don't like hard maths or physics" & "Let's invite Jordan Peterson to talk to the kids" Birbalsingh is Head.

Looks like he did the 2 year course at St Stephens (a Durham University Common Awards Course) which isn't a doctorate and the wiki doesn't mention doctorates or PhDs.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I might have misread doctorate. I saw it was a two year course and may have even just assumed. It's all Harry Potter to me, but the link to Birbalsingh is interesting, as are his links to Gove.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If the phone is off or on silent do they still get through? I turn my phones off at night unless I need an alarm to get up. I do have a non-smart phone with a non-functioning SIM in it (it won't work without a SIM so I use an old long-expired one).

Yeah they come through if it's on silent, not if your phone is off. If it's a non-smart phone I think you might also be safe?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

You can apparently opt out https://www.gov.uk/alerts/how-alerts-work

quote:

Opting out of emergency alerts
You can opt out of emergency alerts, but you should keep them switched on for your own safety.

To opt out:

Search your settings for ‘emergency alerts’.
Turn off ‘severe alerts’ and ‘extreme alerts’.

e: Can confirm it works on Android

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It would be nice if you could set them to 'notify me but don't loving deafen me.'

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
regards mice-

-wire wool and expanding foam together in the holes is the only way to block, wire wool alone will get pulled out of the way, expanding foam on its own is like some particularly delicious cake to rodents. Stuff with wire, secure wire out with foam.

-figure out what food/water/shelter they are after and wreck it up

-clean up areas with disinfectant to destroy the scent trails they leave, if you don't have household pets go for jeyes solution and go hogge wilde

-"humane" traps need to be checked constantly or you will end up with the corpus of a piss soaked mouse who died in terror in a surprisingly short amount of time and that won't feel very humane, especially by the third time in my experience

-kill traps work best when placed carefully so the mouse can only approach from the trigger direction (I used sections from a cereal box to create runs), wooden snaptraps with the yellow plastic pedal can be set up to go off at varying pressures far more easily than plastic ones

-kill traps will also make dead mice snacks to attract rats which will leave you suddenly locked in mortal combat with a massive Norwegian brown rat one sunday morning when you were just trying to get your fuckin' coffee and weed on

-drat that sucked I think I got mild ptsd tbh

-good luck

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

DesperateDan posted:

regards mice-

-wire wool and expanding foam together in the holes is the only way to block, wire wool alone will get pulled out of the way, expanding foam on its own is like some particularly delicious cake to rodents. Stuff with wire, secure wire out with foam.

How do you secure the wool with the expanding foam? Is it just spray the foam into the middle of the wool and let it expand till they both fill the hole?

Thanks for the tip with the traps.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

When we had them I got someone in to poison them. That worked.

My wife is an animal lover against killing them, but after a week of disturbed sleep due to scratching and gnawing she was all for it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One of my friends has a big rat that keeps coming in her back yard so i spent saturday trying to block up the gaps, I'm sure the bugger can climb if it wants to but hopefully it will go to someone else's yard if I make it difficult enough.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Angepain posted:

I know that we all had terrible usernames at 17 but I do feel we should call Mr. Robinson "BaDDaSS" from now on

Yes, "at 17"

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Try one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjXYM-BUIHs

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

fuctifino posted:

I did a bit of googling into Calvin Robinson last night

All of that is scrubbed from today's site where he's now obviously being promoted as an ultra religious high ranking and respected 'Deacon' with a TV show, but he's a total manufactured fraud.

His website snapshots go all the way back to 2003, which could lead down some interesting rabbit holes https://web.archive.org/web/20030218144714/https://www.calvinrobinson.com/

I'm still convinced this guy is pulling an elaborate scheme to not only be a vicious tory oval office, but also in an attempt to fiddle kids. Everything about him screams

Yknow, cus random guys who come out of nowhere pretending to be the clergy and involving them in a lot of kid-centric propositions and ideas has always gone down well. We only live in a world where the loving king's brother is a known nonce and continual knighthoods for rapists and paedos occur.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 20, 2023

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

bessantj posted:

How do you secure the wool with the expanding foam? Is it just spray the foam into the middle of the wool and let it expand till they both fill the hole?

Thanks for the tip with the traps.

stuff the hole with the wool, then use the straw applicator thingy of the foam to stick inside the bundle of wool and use enough to fill out the gaps- the foam will grab onto just about anything and stains clothes so be careful of that

if you don't have much experience with it then play around with putting a tiny bit on some cardboard and seeing how big it will get over 10-15 mins or so because people underestimate it, pack a fuckload into a hole and then get to watch a big ol' snake of messy foam invade the place

Oh and the thing I forgot with setting traps either humane or otherwise is wash your hands before you set them or wear gloves while you do because the scent of your hands will get all over the place and warn them off- that and peanut butter mixed 50/50 with chocolate spread is a great attractor and cheese doesn't work

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

DesperateDan posted:

peanut butter mixed 50/50 with chocolate spread is a great attractor

This definitely attracts me.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

DesperateDan posted:

stuff the hole with the wool, then use the straw applicator thingy of the foam to stick inside the bundle of wool and use enough to fill out the gaps- the foam will grab onto just about anything and stains clothes so be careful of that

if you don't have much experience with it then play around with putting a tiny bit on some cardboard and seeing how big it will get over 10-15 mins or so because people underestimate it, pack a fuckload into a hole and then get to watch a big ol' snake of messy foam invade the place

Oh and the thing I forgot with setting traps either humane or otherwise is wash your hands before you set them or wear gloves while you do because the scent of your hands will get all over the place and warn them off- that and peanut butter mixed 50/50 with chocolate spread is a great attractor and cheese doesn't work

Tyvm for the advice.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I always wondered why we didn't spend more time making a successful black/brown rat hybrid.

Neither species seems to want such a thing to exist, which is a powerful argument why it should.

We made Chausies and ligers and pizzly bears, oh my.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Angepain posted:

I’ll have you know I’ve had this same terrible username since I was about 12 :colbert:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

There will be a nationwide test of the alarm messaging system on Sunday 23rd April.

quote:

For some people a secret phone is a lifeline from situations of domestic abuse and the alert going off would give the phone away. Refuge have made a video on disabling them for Android and iOS here.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I can't wait for it to not work and be a complete and abysmal failure, such is the national psyche and ability.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

fuctifino posted:

The Specialists? lol I'm pretty sure I must have kicked his arse a few times, I was really into that game for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

My wife is an animal lover against killing them, but after a week of disturbed sleep due to scratching and gnawing she was all for it.

As someone who ripped up floorboards after months of constant scratching to get rid of the NOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wholeheartedly support her choice.