Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
This is Elon adjacent in that it's a long writeup of another billionaire dipshit; I thought it'd be of interest to the thread. Please, enjoy.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/mark-zuckerberg-metaverse-meta-horizon-worlds.html

quote:

It’s hard not to read the fact that half of you disappears when you enter Horizon Worlds as symbolic somehow, and it has been a focal point for the widespread derision that’s been aimed at Mark Zuckerberg and Meta. Apparently legs, legs that move in concert with the user, are very hard to do. The engineers are working on it, supposedly, and the people I meet in the metaverse are constantly telling me how “legs are coming,” like the creatures of Narnia whispering to one another that “Aslan is on the move.”

quote:

While some people have experienced harassment in Horizon Worlds, the major problem is kids. Under-13’s aren’t supposed to use the headset, but the app is overrun with children occupying their parents’ avatars, meaning that conversations are constantly interrupted by (1) apparent adults asking you in high-pitched voices if you like poop and (2) polls to decide if the poop person should be removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

kazil posted:

Dr. Benjamin Braddock is very concerned about the health effects of fluorescent and LED lights

I rarely trust anyone with "Dr." in their profile name. Especially when they give zero credentials.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Bright Bart posted:

I rarely trust anyone with "Dr." in their profile name. Especially when they give zero credentials.

Explored his various pages and literally cannot find a single mention of any credentials. He is (shocker) antivaxx though! So my guess is a D. C. That's what a lot of quacks larping at being an MD tend to be.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

"Fun" fact is that in Poland physicians cannot legally call themselves "doctor" as the degree is considered a Master's. US chiropractors who come over because they have heritage or married a Pole can use the title.

Same with Germany I think.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 19, 2023

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
going by a QI episode, the UK also has a weird thing with medical docs VS surgeons , like surgeons might still have a tradition of "mister"?

language is bs magic.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Sankis posted:

Explored his various pages and literally cannot find a single mention of any credentials. He is (shocker) antivaxx though! So my guess is a D. C. That's what a lot of quacks larping at being an MD tend to be.

Chiropractic "medicine" is one of the few types of quackery still considered acceptable in the US and it drives me nuts that they're still able to scam people who don't know any better. They still kill people who refuse to see an actual MD or physical therapist.

Homeopathy is quackery too but at least it doesn't directly kill people. :argh:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Bright Bart posted:

"Fun" fact is that in Poland physicians cannot legally call themselves "doctor" as the degree is considered a Master's. US chiropractors who come over because they have heritage or married a Pole can use the title.

Weeeeeeeell, this is a bit of a semantic distinction, in that both Poland and Germany have different words for a medical doctor and someone with a PhD. The words for medical doctor would still translate as doctor in English, and those medics would call themselves doctor if they were practicing medicine in another country.

It’s more that they (correctly) don’t consider a medical degree to be equivalent to the much harder to achieve PhD.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, UK surgeons are Mr to distinguish themselves from their lowly doctor colleagues.

Also because they didn't used to be Doctors, just lads who were quick with the saw.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

...! posted:

Well…

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Bright Bart posted:

This is the first I'm hearing of it, and I lived here all my life. Looked it up and while it's technically true ("lekarz" being the proper job title used by medical doctor, essentially, "physician"), it's extremely common to call a doctor a doctor, even if they don't actually have a PhD, without anyone giving it a second thought.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Scientastic posted:

It’s more that they (correctly) don’t consider a medical degree to be equivalent to the much harder to achieve PhD.

Many do have a PhD and some departments require one for higher positions in academic hospitals. Doctorate holders in other fields still complain that they're much easier to get and truth be told the scope of dissertations is highly variable.

I made a digression though because I don't know if Elon fans have any of these degrees.

armpit_enjoyer posted:

it's extremely common to call a doctor a doctor, even if they don't actually have a PhD, without anyone giving it a second thought.

Yup. And even hospitals will sometimes have dr on nameplates of offices. Or clinics will use the title on online staff directories. Usually this means someone doesn't have a PhD. If they have one in medicine their title will be dr n. med.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 19, 2023

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

...! posted:

Chiropractic "medicine" is one of the few types of quackery still considered acceptable in the US and it drives me nuts that they're still able to scam people who don't know any better. They still kill people who refuse to see an actual MD or physical therapist.

How else will I align my infant's spine so his head stops drooping all the time?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

sure he's an odious person, but he is also one hell of an engineer, who can hold his own in any kind of technical discussion

who are we talking about here?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

sure he's an odious person, but he is also one hell of an engineer, who can hold his own in any kind of technical discussion

lol I remember that derail :hfive:

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Honestly thought Elon was just kidding with the press@twitter poop emoji thing but not only is it true, people are having a bit of fun getting official statements from Twitter now

https://twitter.com/goldengateblond/status/1637521512797466625

Imagine being 51 years old and paying $44 billion to do this sort of stuff

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Steadiman posted:

Honestly thought Elon was just kidding with the press@twitter poop emoji thing but not only is it true, people are having a bit of fun getting official statements from Twitter now

Twitter's press engagement at an all time high!!

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Steadiman posted:

Legitimately cannot wait to start seeing the poop emoji printed as Twitter’s official response to highly damaging stories

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Steadiman posted:

I would have thought this was funny when I was, like, 11.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
he thinks he's shitposting

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Homeopathy is still only the indirect cause of death there. The direct cause of death is because that idiotic company made their product out of loving nightshade, of all things.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Light Gun Man posted:

🤣🤣🤣

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

Concerning

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Azhais posted:

Good news! Asbestos isn't actually banned and is still imported and used in some filters. Your DNA can still be poked and prodded!

Sadly, friendly :canada: cannot legally export asbestos anymore (but will still import), but if you need any APCs to do human right's crimes with, we still have your back.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The Butcher posted:

Sadly, friendly :canada: cannot legally export asbestos anymore (but will still import), but if you need any APCs to do human right's crimes with, we still have your back.

Didn't Canada subsidize asbestos mining to the point it would have been cheaper to pay everyone to stay home?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Wittenoon mine that killed a fuckload of people here (due to the owners intentionally concealing the danger) never actually made a profit.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

...! posted:

Homeopathy is still only the indirect cause of death there. The direct cause of death is because that idiotic company made their product out of loving nightshade, of all things.

Bayer’s blood transfusions are still only the indirect cause of death there. The direct cause of death is because that idiotic company made their product out of AIDS blood, of all things.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

QuarkJets posted:

Lead paint was used for decades and gave us Boomers, so it should come as no surprise that a lot of Boomers think it's a real travesty that THE NANNY STATE got rid of lead paint

A whole generation ruined by leaded gas lol

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Here's a random fact about incandescent bulbs: persons who experiment with anal insertion almost uniformly report a negative experience with incandescent bulbs.

Of course, incandescent bulb lovers shouldn't let these findings deter them. our idea of freedom protects your right to shove a lightbulb up your rear end. it's trite, but true: "your freedom ends where the lightbulb up my rear end begins"

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
getting lead out of stuff woke!

Getting red of gas stove broke!

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
https://twitter.com/MrJamesMay/status/1637662102851837953

James May questioning Twitters entire business model

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

delightful posted:

And he's totally right

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

quote:

Sometimes these things come to you as you're browsing and you just have to share it, cause my posting game is strong.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

delightful posted:

https://twitter.com/MrJamesMay/status/1637662102851837953

For reference that's James May, the least poo poo guy from Top Gear, ie. a figure known worldwide. The most that can be said about him is that he's a big curmudgeonly.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

...! posted:

You can drown, if you overdose.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I thought that Homeopathy ran off the less is more potent model of wishful thinking, so wouldn't you only OD if you missed a day?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Your kid can also die if you give your them homeopathic teething medicine that has literal poison in it and that they didn't dilute enough.

Pickled Tink posted:

I thought that Homeopathy ran off the less is more potent model of wishful thinking, so wouldn't you only OD if you missed a day?

The joke is that it's just water. Unless it VERY ISN'T and you're giving your kid just poison.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pickled Tink posted:

The fundamental principle of homeopathy, from which it derives its name, is that 'like cures like'. That is to say, if someone is suffering from a fever you should give them a medicine that causes fever. If they're nauseous, give them something that causes nausea. Etc.
After that, it is a matter of simple observation that the less medicine you give the patient the better the results. So... can we give them even less medicine? What if we dilute it another three times?
Having reached the conclusion that the best treatment is to give the patient a billion:one dilution of the active ingredient, now create a chain of logic for how that does something.
Congratulations, you've invented modern homeopathy.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

The fundamental principle of homeopathy, from which it derives its name, is that 'like cures like'. That is to say, if someone is suffering from a fever you should give them a medicine that causes fever. If they're nauseous, give them something that causes nausea. Etc.
After that, it is a matter of simple observation that the less medicine you give the patient the better the results. So... can we give them even less medicine? What if we dilute it another three times?
Having reached the conclusion that the best treatment is to give the patient a billion:one dilution of the active ingredient, now create a chain of logic for how that does something.
Congratulations, you've invented modern homeopathy.

Years ago on this very forum someone linked a video where a duded explained the dilution principle and said it would be like if you had a sphere of water the size of earth and threw in 3 grains of rice.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I remember some homeopath person reccomending me homeopathic chili for a burn, because like cures like

So much wrong with that I just walked away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ups_rail posted:

Years ago on this very forum someone linked a video where a duded explained the dilution principle and said it would be like if you had a sphere of water the size of earth and threw in 3 grains of rice.

My favorite simile is "throw car key in water at river source, drive that car at river estuary".