Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Sloths are an inspiration to us all. So chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Pictured here are two objects, with a penny for scale. On the right you see a cryopump pneumatic adaptor, worthless. We have thousands of them, bins full of them. On the left you see a pneumatic block adaptor, more precious than gold. Each bay has only enough for their machines, and even then if one wears out or is lost getting another is an ordeal. If you need one, you have to beg one of the old hands who might have one squirreled away, or else you cannot use any pneumatically actuated valves on the machine, and there are a whole lot of those.

I thought I was clever, I got the part number from a manufacturing engineer. I thought I could go into the central storage area and get some myself. Only no, even with the part number there are none in my entire building, and I don't have access to the other cleanrooms to find one where this particular part is stored. It's absurd to me that we can't just have a couple of bins of both of these. I can't even create an order for these parts since I can only order parts assigned to the machine, and these aren't assigned to the machines, they're just adapters between our facilities and the machines, that the machines absolutely need to function.:shepicide:

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

At the end of last year our physical terminal count was exactly the same as our inventory in our business system so everything was perfect and nothing had to be searched for or written off. Since then I have been pretty diligent about shipping the terminals and making sure our spreadsheet is updated and that we’re on a perfect count in the business inventory system as well. I don’t check it super often because I don’t like hand counting a shitload of terminals.

I finally did it last week. We have 95 terminals at the corporate building and… 102 in our business inventory system.

I have no loving idea why or where the extra 7 terminals need to go. My spreadsheet looks accurate. I’m so hosed. Now I have to start calling around to our stores and asking people whether or not terminal X was billed or not, and if not, they have to contact the customer, and it’s a nightmare.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Throw the excess terminals into a store room and forget they exist?

TaurusTorus posted:

Pictured here are two objects, with a penny for scale.

Can I have my fleshlight back now?

Outrail fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 18, 2023

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

TaurusTorus posted:

Pictured here are two objects, with a penny for scale. On the right you see a cryopump pneumatic adaptor, worthless. We have thousands of them, bins full of them. On the left you see a pneumatic block adaptor, more precious than gold. Each bay has only enough for their machines, and even then if one wears out or is lost getting another is an ordeal. If you need one, you have to beg one of the old hands who might have one squirreled away, or else you cannot use any pneumatically actuated valves on the machine, and there are a whole lot of those.

I thought I was clever, I got the part number from a manufacturing engineer. I thought I could go into the central storage area and get some myself. Only no, even with the part number there are none in my entire building, and I don't have access to the other cleanrooms to find one where this particular part is stored. It's absurd to me that we can't just have a couple of bins of both of these. I can't even create an order for these parts since I can only order parts assigned to the machine, and these aren't assigned to the machines, they're just adapters between our facilities and the machines, that the machines absolutely need to function.:shepicide:

lol one of my jobs is setting up production orders for components like this (not for this particularly industry, just replacement parts that involve a similar level of bs) and it owns that I need literal pages of signed documentation from the client before I can start the process of telling someone to make them

then it takes like 2 minutes for the machine to poop out 2 dozen, they get individually sealed in regular letter envelopes and someone drops them in the mailbox

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

blatman posted:

lol one of my jobs is setting up production orders for components like this (not for this particularly industry, just replacement parts that involve a similar level of bs) and it owns that I need literal pages of signed documentation from the client before I can start the process of telling someone to make them

then it takes like 2 minutes for the machine to poop out 2 dozen, they get individually sealed in regular letter envelopes and someone drops them in the mailbox
Every time you file 20 pages of purchase agreements for $500 of production, say thank you SOX or the economy will crash.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

zedprime posted:

Every time you file 20 pages of purchase agreements for $500 of production, say thank you SOX or the economy will crash.

Stay safe, compliance ghost!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

zedprime posted:

lol batch records for chemo drugs were usually ~300 pages, batch records for controlled substances were more like 700

700 pages of handwritten paperwork to review along with probably about 100 hours total of video lmao :shepicide:

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

lol batch records for chemo drugs were usually ~300 pages, batch records for controlled substances were more like 700

700 pages of handwritten paperwork to review along with probably about 100 hours total of video lmao :shepicide:

Well, that explains the amphetamine shortage

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I am so glad that while we support GxP, my group isn't audited directly.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost
the other day my friend and I were talking about Visas, and the kid we work with asked if we were talking about debit cards.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Well, that explains the amphetamine shortage

oh the amphetamine shortage is because the DEA are evil fucks and literally the dumbest, worst people I've ever worked with; and they have a whole lot of arbitrary rules regarding production that make absolutely no loving sense on top of the mountain of them that make perfect sense.

over my dead body will I ever work with those people again, just the most miserable power-tripping fuckheads on the planet.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

My company keeps saying they want us to do more craft beer events yet nobody responded to the multiple email notices to register with probably the only event we're going to get invited to. The deadline is the 10th but, fortunately, the woman who runs the Kansai craft beer association has always been very nice to me and sent me a Line message today asking if we were planning on participating. Had to ask people to check their email and respond by tomorrow.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 19, 2023

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is really common with government jobs. Basically there were regulations put in place after scandals about My TAX DOLLARS paying for a few senior people to hold a ten minute meeting over a weekend in Vegas, and as a result the office workers in the Fed Paperwork Factory need to all chip in out of their own pockets if they want a two pizzas in the lunchroom Christmas party.

I'm so used to being in the gov that i marvel at anyone receiving the slightest perk in their job. My office can't provide us with even a microwave or coffee machine. Employees had to pool their money for these extravagances. Mustn't squander those tax dollars!

Naturally, potlucks are the go-to solution to having zero office money for activities. "Private" coffee machines and other minor amenities also abound in people's offices, to be used by friend groups. A fee based "water club" has arisen to fund the cost of a water cooler. members only! (I drink tap water)

In defense of my management, they're subject to the same restrictions and they've bought pizza on their own dime a couple times.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

oh the amphetamine shortage is because the DEA are evil fucks and literally the dumbest, worst people I've ever worked with; and they have a whole lot of arbitrary rules regarding production that make absolutely no loving sense on top of the mountain of them that make perfect sense.

over my dead body will I ever work with those people again, just the most miserable power-tripping fuckheads on the planet.

Interesting. I haven't been able to pick up an entire prescription in months. I suspected it was DEA Fuckery, glad to know my suspicions were correct.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Thesaurus posted:

A fee based "water club" has arisen to fund the cost of a water cooler. members only! (I drink tap water)

An office I did some work in a few years ago had water coolers all over the place. :smug:

because the military base it was on was a superfund site and they were obligated to tell everyone - frequently and prominently - not to drink the topwater and had to provide SOMETHING for people to drink

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
We had a water club at our previous building, but that was because the building had the worst water. Sometimes things would be floating in it, sometimes it would come out of the taps with a lovely brown tint. We moved to a new location in November and the water there is fine, so we ditched the cooler rental.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Water clubs sound like an invention of a libertarian dystopia

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Club Aqua

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

SubponticatePoster posted:

We had a water club at our previous building, but that was because the building had the worst water. Sometimes things would be floating in it, sometimes it would come out of the taps with a lovely brown tint. We moved to a new location in November and the water there is fine, so we ditched the cooler rental.

What in the blue blazes is this poo poo

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MrQwerty posted:

Oh if it's burning that's just methane in the water, probably from your friendly local neighborhood fracking operation

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
What fourth world shithole country do you people live in?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

TaurusTorus posted:

The previous regime at my current job was being run by a psychopathic VP that came from an accounting background.

They bought a machine that they planned to run 24x7 for around 800k but when the vendor offered a list of on hand spare parts to keep that was around 175k, the VP nixed that and said we'll find our own.

Well, we never did (another problem with the previous regime was serious institutional ADHD)

As an aside, the line that machine is on that HAS to run 24x7 (to keep alcoholics from destroying the airline industry)

It has been down since Saturday morning and won't be back up until the replacement for the part that broke can't get here until then.

Is that part in the manufacturer's list of recommended spares? You bet your rear end it is. Is it also some bespoke bullshit that you can't get from McMaster? You know it brother!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Don't get me wrong though, I can't complain, I was supposed to be on call all weekend but instead it stopped at 0330 today cuz ain't nobody working lol

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Outrail posted:

I really want someone to do a book or documentary series on how the US' freedom-economy-living standard trifecta a really elaborate illusion propped up by a huge military that is also a mess. Yeah, I can find $100 billion for nuclear armed submarines, but gently caress you if you think water should be drinkable at the cost of the profits of a fossil fuel company. We're not China level "pieces of buildings falling apart within a month" corruption/corner cutting, but we're probably one republican house, senate and white house away from it being legal to just kill you in your sleep and take your house if it'll make a real estate developer a dollar.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Water clubs sound like an invention of a libertarian dystopia

One of my old jobs had a water club because the tap water in the building was legit terrible and I just defaulted to bringing in a half gallon Yeti from home every day. About a year in my department got moved to a refurbished building that included those bottle fill stations in the wall AND a filtered hot/cold water. The woman who ran the water club in the old building decided that the filtered water wasn't actually filtered and began a water club in the new building and would send out unhinged rants that people not signing up for the water club meant that she would have to raise rates until X number of people were involved which then evolved into her going desk to desk during our designated lunch time to try and browbeat people into joining. She tried to make the water club signup sheet part of the new hire package when that didn't work.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Lazyfire posted:

The woman who ran the water club in the old building decided that the filtered water wasn't actually filtered

What was her stance on vaccinations?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Outrail posted:

What was her stance on vaccinations?

I got out of there in 2018, thankfully. That place was Trumped to gently caress and I was pretty sure my tires were going to get slashed because I was one of the only people who didn't think Trump was God and said so.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Outrail posted:

You know the answer to this.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

tactlessbastard posted:

As an aside, the line that machine is on that HAS to run 24x7 (to keep alcoholics from destroying the airline industry)

Guessing it makes mini-bottles of liquor? Although I’m imagining it making tribute for a tribe of booze loving Vikings who live next to a Boeing factory.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Lazyfire posted:

I really want someone to do a book or documentary series on how the US' freedom-economy-living standard trifecta a really elaborate illusion propped up by a huge military that is also a mess. Yeah, I can find $100 billion for nuclear armed submarines, but gently caress you if you think water should be drinkable at the cost of the profits of a fossil fuel company. We're not China level "pieces of buildings falling apart within a month" corruption/corner cutting, but we're probably one republican house, senate and white house away from it being legal to just kill you in your sleep and take your house if it'll make a real estate developer a dollar.

One of my old jobs had a water club because the tap water in the building was legit terrible and I just defaulted to bringing in a half gallon Yeti from home every day. About a year in my department got moved to a refurbished building that included those bottle fill stations in the wall AND a filtered hot/cold water. The woman who ran the water club in the old building decided that the filtered water wasn't actually filtered and began a water club in the new building and would send out unhinged rants that people not signing up for the water club meant that she would have to raise rates until X number of people were involved which then evolved into her going desk to desk during our designated lunch time to try and browbeat people into joining. She tried to make the water club signup sheet part of the new hire package when that didn't work.

It sounds like she savored that modicum of power and when you moved and she no longer had it, she had a breakdown.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

tactlessbastard posted:

In my mind, this is breathalyzers for Boeing executives.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

MrQwerty posted:

That building was super gross. We rented space there for like 20 years, and for the first 18 or so it was privately-owned and changed owners multiple times. So they were of the "invest as little as possible and flip it ASAP" mindset, meaning that any building improvements were either not done or completely half assed. It finally got bought by the local university and they started fixing things, but we had way more space than needed and moved to a state-owned property for like half the price.

Like, I worked in that building from Dec 2005 up until we moved last November, and not once did they ever clean the ductwork :barf:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

The drug factory had one barely-functioning water fountain in a central location on the production floor, and that water was so dry (like, mouthfeel dry) I'm not convinced it wasn't at least being partially fed from a WFI line to discourage production from drinking water on the floor. I have never heard of anything like a water club, though, jesus loving christ. That's wild.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I would burn down my boss' home if I had to pay extra for drinkable water at work.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
The water at my work is more drinkable than the water at my house, because all of the work taps have filters. I have a benchtop water cooler in my kitchen for drinking/cooking water. :nz:

ETA dumb poo poo my work does: we're moving to a new building that isn't big enough for us so my boss is relying on attrition to bring our numbers down so that we fit. Even though demand for our products is constantly going up. But it's OK! We have offices elsewhere in the country and they're recruiting! To cover their own loving attrition.

left_unattended fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 19, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

left_unattended posted:

ETA dumb poo poo my work does: we're moving to a new building that isn't big enough for us so my boss is relying on attrition to bring our numbers down so that we fit. Even though demand for our products is constantly going up. But it's OK! We have offices elsewhere in the country and they're recruiting! To cover their own loving attrition.

My as-of-Friday former employer shut down the only factory in the world that made the circuitboards for their bread and butter with new SMD lines for their plants in Europe being at least a year, maybe 2 out, a year after ordering them and being told they were going to be up and running right now. We manufactured a 3 year overstock (according to 2020 sales numbers, they're like double now because their competitors are shutting down whole product lines and contracting) on our way out, but lol good luck with all those loving CMO's you're gonna have to hire for the next 5-10 years and their quality issues after firing everyone that made your dipshit company money, idiot failson brothers.

The plant in Germany couldn't run any SMD stuff correctly as it was and kept transferring all their high-end poo poo to us to the bitter end, and the plant in Romania that opened right before COVID that literally assembles everything couldn't loving fix basic soldering issues, I'm sure everything is going to go swell.

Like, we had a drop-in part that got waved. Manufacturer made a bad batch with a mold line that prevented it from snapping in all the way, and it was a <1mm tolerance problem as far as putting the board into the housing. Nobody at the Romania plant could figure out what was going on, so they sent us thousands of boards back so we could melt solder on two pins and manually push the part down, then check it with a shim. Then we had to start checking every board at wave with the shim for like 4-5 months, because it was too expensive to ship boards to Romania and have them shipped back because someone couldn't push a part down because they don't know how.

Good loving luck.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 20, 2023

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Hyrax Attack! posted:

tribute for a tribe of booze loving Vikings who live next to a Boeing factory.

Please, we’re a French company. It’s the Airbus plant.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Common sense: Access to safe drinking water is a fundamental human right.

Capitalism: Hmmmmm

Workers: Perfect! Instead of revolting I'm going to create my own personal pointless fiefdom!

Capitalism: Well that was easy.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 20, 2023

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Stupid/lovely things for a boss to do, verse 2: talk poo poo about an employee who's leaving to other employees.

It's really not surprising why 4 out of 10 FTE are on their way out or actively looking for another job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Cliche
Oct 18, 2004
Ninja Robot Pirate Zombie
Also government:

We have contractors in-house that sponsor a water and Keurig club. It’s completely self serving though. They contract the coffee and water through a small/woman-owned/minority vendor, which gives them points next time the contract comes up to re-bid.

Your situation might be something like that. We moved into a decent building with filter water fountains, we’re surrounded by coffee. But I don’t want to deal with a new round of contractors so it’s just a cost of business.