Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

tiaz posted:

this guess is my favorite. "but causing a giant methane release to do some stock or commodity price shenanigans is hysterically evil -
... oh, but it's oil companies,"

IIRC the amount of methane released was negligible in the larger scheme of things, and many people made a way bigger deal out of it than it actually was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
was the united state's invasion of Iraq illegal in the same way that Russia's invasion of the Ukraine is?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^

tiaz posted:

seriously. it was also right around the time they were crowing about how winter would decimate the EU's morale - maybe they thought making the pipelines unrecoverable would twist the knife as Europeans sobbed apologies to Mother Russia at their thermostats?
Seems like such an own goal though. By this point Germany was already complying about divestment and whatnot and the political fallout is such a risk I don't really buy the collective west doing it intentionally either, at least without a lot of layers of misdirection to keep it ambiguous.
In the end I rabbit-ear my pockets and go "I'm glad they're offline I guess :shrug:"
There are decent reasons for russia to have done it. This got them out of having to deliver gas, demonstrates to Europe that they're able and willing to blow up out infrastructure, scares us with freezing, and, if it was done by hardliners, almost literally burns the bridges to normalizing relations.

Plus, if they get caught, they lose nothing. We've already sanctioned everything possible but EN/NATO made it clear there's absolutely no appetite for a direct confrontation. Putin could fly over Germany and poo poo on Scholtz's head, and we'd find a way to avoid doing anything to avoid ~escalation~. This is in contrast to Ukraine/US doing it, where there's enormous potential for blowback.

Not saying they did it, there's no public evidence either way, but I wouldn't dismiss it. Check out this (and previous) video by Anders Puck Nielsen on this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeP_ZZbBIl4

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 20, 2023

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

BrownPepper posted:

was the united state's invasion of Iraq illegal in the same way that Russia's invasion of the Ukraine is?

I don't recall any accusations of genocidal practices such as kidnapping children, so it was probably illegal in a different way.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Randarkman posted:

IIRC the amount of methane released was negligible in the larger scheme of things, and many people made a way bigger deal out of it than it actually was.

huh! thanks, I hadn't heard that. I get misdirected about industrial processes like that. sometimes I think about the sheer volume of paint required to paint all the road markings even once and am a bit agog

mobby_6kl posted:

There are decent reasons for russia to have done it. This got them out of having to deliver gas, demonstrates to Europe that they're able and willing to blow up out infrastructure, scares us with freezing, and, if it was done by hardliners, almost literally burns the bridges to normalizing relations.

Plus, if they get caught, they lose nothing. We've already sanctioned everything possible but EN/NATO made it clear there's absolutely no appetite for a direct confrontation. Putin could fly over Germany and poo poo on Scholtz's head, and we'd find a way to avoid doing anything to avoid ~escalation~. This is in contrast to Ukraine/US doing it, where there's enormous potential for blowback.

Not saying they did it, there's no public evidence either way, but I wouldn't dismiss it. Check out this (and previous) video by Anders Puck Nielsen on this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeP_ZZbBIl4

thanks for this, I'll check these out. I had completely forgotten about the contractual side of things.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Horrorosaurus posted:

Hunter Biden practicing inhaling and holding his breath all those years,u think it was for fun? Diving, pipes, dad being the president of the United States....

Connect the dots

Hunter Biden doesn't destroy pipe.

He lays pipe. :clint:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

BrownPepper posted:

To save you the trouble of asking it again in some form, I would say 99% of this thread thinks the Iraq invasion was illegal and just flat out wrong and based on bullshit lies to go bomb some brown people.

Here's another morsal, 99% of this thread thinks that US/Western policy sucks in general.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BrownPepper posted:

I don't recall the US claiming Iraq as its own territory and annexing it as a 51st state, or declaring that all Iraqis should die or stealing Iraqi children to be raised in America.

The US invasion of Iraq was dumb and illegal and shouldn't have happened for a lot of reasons, but it was a distinctly lower tier of evil than what Russia is doing in Ukraine.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think peace is good. We should do more of that. We should all go less to foreign countries and bomb the ever living poo poo out of them. That's a bloody brilliant idea, and the reason nobody thought of this before me, is that I am very smart; significantly smarter than you people, so it is good that I bring this up to point this out, to you lesser people who are less clever and compassionate than I.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Tai posted:

Here's another morsal, 99% of this thread thinks that US/Western policy sucks in general.

glad to hear that- is there a thread where that stuff gets discussed? i'd be interested to check it out

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

BrownPepper posted:

glad to hear that- is there a thread where that stuff gets discussed? i'd be interested to check it out

Pretty much any other geopolitical thread in D&D. You’re a ‘just asking questions :D“ type of guy, aren’t you?

Two things can be wrong at the same time, wild I know!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
There sure is, go through GBS, CSPAM or DnD.

In each thread title, it has something to note what it is about

UK chat, UKMT, USCE, Irish Poltics. I think you get the picture.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Here's a thread that's specifically about how poo poo the Iraq war could get: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3978779

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost

Deteriorata posted:

I don't recall the US claiming Iraq as its own territory and annexing it as a 51st state, or declaring that all Iraqis should die or stealing Iraqi children to be raised in America.

The US invasion of Iraq was dumb and illegal and shouldn't have happened for a lot of reasons, but it was a distinctly lower tier of evil than what Russia is doing in Ukraine.

Yeah, lower tier of evil. What.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

If you want a realpolitik answer then obviously the party with the most to gain would be Ukraine by removing the Nordstream as a bargaining chip for Russia to leverage against the EU.

The sabotage didn't do that though. One of the two lines of NS2 is untouched and according to Gazprom still fully operational. There are also all the various land pipelines that are still operational.

The only way this makes sense is if Ukraine/US/UK hosed up the mission(in which case the explosives might be recoverable and can be used as evidence). It also makes sense if Russia did it. With half of NS2 intact, the sabotage didn't really diminish their ability to blackmail Europe. The attack led to a massive price spike on the gas spot market which benefited them and it also had substantial propaganda value internally and externally.

Also, it is a clear message to any potential opposition that getting rid of Putin and signing a peace agreement will not mean a return to business as usual. The oligarchs are not getting their gas cash cow back if they betray him.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Suspect A posted:

We can absolutely rank things like "did they go in intending to eradicate the culture of the invaded country" and "to what degree did they deliberately target civilians". Being invaded by the US is way worse than the image they present, but Russia seems to go out of their way to be worse.

Flattening this to "they're both guilty so they're both exactly as evil" seems counterproductive.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think all the major nations showed up to sabotage it at the same time

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I blew up the pipeline.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Suspect A posted:

They’re not the same, either in stated goals, prosecution of said goals, or results - what don’t you understand? I’m sure you could be educated, or are you hung up on some clumsy framing?

Thread summoned nerds by invoking Seymour Hersh I guess

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Suspect A posted:

Explain to me the difference between a venial and mortal sin.

Then explain to me the difference between a misdemeanor and a felony.

Then try again at posting.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Computer viking posted:

We can absolutely rank things like "did they go in intending to eradicate the culture of the invaded country" and "to what degree did they deliberately target civilians".

nice, what are the current rankings?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Why does everything have to be binary...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

EorayMel posted:

I blew up the pipeline.

My dad once accused me of blowing up a pipeline, but was actually a maple tree that got it's roots into the pipe and NOT my level of toilet paper usage.

What I'm saying is, do we know for sure there's not maple trees near Nordstream?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

EorayMel posted:

I blew up the pipeline.

No, I blew up the pipeline!

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

BrownPepper posted:

You don’t actually care, so why are you asking? Do you think any analysis is bad analysis?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

BrownPepper posted:

Knock it off

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BrownPepper posted:

You're the worst

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

Gotta be Namor. Only question is if he had backing from Latveria.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Karate Bastard posted:

What I'm finding myself asking time and time again is could putler flush his toilet hard enough to split the nord stream in two? It seems unlikely, yet I find myself unable to fully dismiss the idea.

Yeah if it blew from the inside the pig has Putin all over it.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I hear that the order to blow the pipeline came from Putin himself. He was disappointed when Gazprom told him they couldn't do it when he asked them to "turn it from blow to suck and get the stables connected at the other end".

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Pigs are more David Cameron's thing, though.

Did David Cameron blow up the pipeline?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Tai posted:

To save you the trouble of asking it again in some form, I would say 99% of this thread thinks the Iraq invasion was illegal and just flat out wrong and based on bullshit lies to go bomb some brown people.

this

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots
maybe we can learn something about the pipeline sabotage from the attempted sabotage of this thread

alas I fear the (Intelligent) Pipeline Inspection Gauge will be found to merely have borne one of his body doubles

e: or clones???

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Deteriorata posted:

"The IBC project has recorded a range of at least 185,194 – 208,167 total violent civilian deaths through June 2020 in their database"

Seems like a uh, fairly high tier of evil.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Tiny Timbs posted:

EorayMel posted:

I blew up the pipeline.

Ikasuhito posted:

No, I blew up the pipeline!

That's why the investigation is so tricky, there were thirty different teams planting bombs at the same time.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

tiaz posted:

alas I fear the (Intelligent) Pipeline Inspection Gauge will be found to merely have borne one of his body doubles

e: or clones???

Body loaded on the pig by David Cameron to satisfy both sides of this thread. QED

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Finnish roman descendents bombed the pipeline to accelerate the fall of the false Rome and bring about the new Roman Finnish Republic.

The Knights Templar also helped destroy the pipeline to accelerate the 9th crusade

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Body loaded on the pig by David Cameron to satisfy both sides of this thread. QED

This was revenge for the failed mission last summer where the SAS squad and the Boris Johnson lookalike who reportedly attacked the ZNPP using a barge and zipline cables all got wiped out, then got up again after the cameras stopped rolling

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

so many pipelines, so little time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Slugworth posted:

"The IBC project has recorded a range of at least 185,194 – 208,167 total violent civilian deaths through June 2020 in their database"

Seems like a uh, fairly high tier of evil.

Sure does! Not sure how that a uh, invalidates what they a uh, said