Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

60% of the time, it works 0% of the time™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Flyndre posted:

Glad to hear it’s not only Fuji who have terrible unusable apps

everytime I want to use the fuji app I have to open it from the google play store for whatever reason, it's installed, it just won't even actually be in my phones app list. the weirdest loving thing

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't even know why they continue to put wifi in cameras because the apps that work with them are such total garbage. In a technical sense I get why my phone has to join the camera's wifi because it's the only way to get decent data rates but the user experience is trash. And supposedly they support bluetooth too but I've never had luck with it.

So delete that crap from the cameras and use that money on another assignable button or something.

Unless pros doing events rely on the wifi? Like are there real situations where they must upload the images to a central server instantly so the media group can start publishing them? I still don't see how that could work given how the connection is set up.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

Slotducks posted:

everytime I want to use the fuji app I have to open it from the google play store for whatever reason, it's installed, it just won't even actually be in my phones app list. the weirdest loving thing

For me the Bluetooth connection works fine for remote shutter release.

But the live view which uses Wi-Fi refuses to works unless I first connect my phone to the camera using the “wireless communication” setting under the “shooting settings” (makes sense right??). And even then the connection drops after I’ve taken only a few photos. Any other way it refuses to connect at all

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

xzzy posted:

Unless pros doing events rely on the wifi? Like are there real situations where they must upload the images to a central server instantly so the media group can start publishing them? I still don't see how that could work given how the connection is set up.

Formula 1 photographers have this I tried to find the bit of the video where one of them explains it but couldn't find it. but it's out there! there's a need for it somehow

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

A usb-c cable works, for the gr3 and a Google phone. It sees it as storage. Just carry that wit you when you want to edit photos on your phone I guess.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Flyndre posted:

For me the Bluetooth connection works fine for remote shutter release.

But the live view which uses Wi-Fi refuses to works unless I first connect my phone to the camera using the “wireless communication” setting under the “shooting settings” (makes sense right??). And even then the connection drops after I’ve taken only a few photos. Any other way it refuses to connect at all

Canon app requires WiFi for everything too, despite connecting over Bluetooth. Very bizarre.

fake edit: I looked it up and for some reason my "oh yeah Bluetooth has pretty good bandwidth" recollection is dead wrong - Bluetooth 5 caps out around 3Mbps vs even crappy 802.11b Wi-Fi hitting 11Mbps, with modern Wi-Fi having a range of 54Mbps to 2.4Gbps. So I guess it just uses the Bluetooth to negotiate the Wi-Fi connection.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

other people posted:

Alright, the GR III arrived yesterday and so far it is pretty cool A+ would buy again.

This is my first camera with wifi/bluetooth and I am struggling to grasp exactly how it works. If there is a better place to ask this please redirect me.

I connected it to my phone via bluetooth and used it to transfer some images which was simple enough, but then I noticed that made my phone disconnect from my home's wifi and connect to what I suppose is the camera's wifi hotspot. So is the bluetooth just some control link that can't actually be used for the transfers?

And then I closed the ricoh app and it didn't reconnect my phone back to my home wifi which is kinda annoying but maybe I missed some step.

Another thing that I don't "get" is how exactly the GPS coordinates feature works. I thought when I transferred a photo to the phone the app would check the photo timestamp and see where the phone was at that time and update the EXIF data on the image, but that isn't what seems to be happening. Instead it seems the bluetooth connection needs to be active at the moment the photo is taken so the camera adds the EXIF location data when you take the pic. Is that right? So I have to leave the bluetooth enabled on the phone any time I am using the camera? I guess that's okay I just want to be sure I am understanding how this works. It is a super cool feature.

Also also, are there 3rd party apps that have the same (or better) functionality as the ricoh app?

Caveat: I haven’t used the Ricoh app but they all work roughly the same:

- Bluetooth is the control piece for stuff like remote shutter and negotiating the data link. Bluetooth is trash for bulk data transfer.

- your phone is responsible for finding the Wi-Fi network again. Ricoh app probably has no real control there.

- yep - EXIF usually gets updated with gps if you’re connected via Bluetooth

- there are probably no 3rd party apps. The best camera app I’ve used is Leica’s and the worst was probably canon. Or was Sony the worst? I cannot remember because they’re all pretty poo poo.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

how not-bad is leica? my experience is with canon and panasonic and they're all quite bad

not that i'm gonna go buy a leica camera, but i'm curious

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Achmed Jones posted:

how not-bad is leica? my experience is with canon and panasonic and they're all quite bad

not that i'm gonna go buy a leica camera, but i'm curious

Aside from the “join this wireless network” dance, everything works pretty well including remote liveview and pretty fast transfers.

Once it’s connected, I generally don’t have any trouble.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I decided to check out the Fuji app with my XH2. Paired quickly, not very intuitive, but it all worked. Updated my firmware, took a test shot with the app, no issues. Better than when I tried it last with the XH1.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The modern Sony one takes a few clunky steps to connect the first time, but once your phone remembers the camera it's pretty quick and pain free to reconnect any time I want to use it.

Not sure how feature rich the app is though, I've only ever used it as a remote control for astrophotography, where the chief complaint is the shutter speed and ISO adjustments are laggy on the screen.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Anyone ever do any concert photography?

For context, I'm a public school teacher that has a photography class on the side, basically. I picked it up by random chance, and I've sort of had to learn all of it on the job. I'd say that from several years of experience, I have a very solid grasp on sports and studio portrait photography. Our modern band program wants to do a staged photoshoot of their varsity kids, like rock star glamor shots. We've got fog machines, colored lighting, kids have a variety of costumes, etc. I've got a Canon R5 with a 50mm lens. All sorts of other things too, but I think that one makes the most sense.

I can position myself anywhere, even up close on the stage, as this is a photoshoot rather than a real performance. I can use a flash, too, for the same reasons. I think I'm going to want a sort of mid-range F/stop, because I want the instruments and more than just a narrow slice of the musician in focus. I want a relatively high shutter speed, because I don't want to blur out the headbanging longhair. But that'll clash with the ambient darkness and spot lighting of a stage. And then the fog machines will be a wildcard, because they'll diffuse the light. I should probably set the camera to spot metering rather evaluative or whatever, because will it even know what the gently caress is going on? I've got some powerful flashes, should I use those to provide lighting that gives me the ability to set the F/stop and shutter speed to the higher settings that I think I'll need? Will that wash out the color? Is there something I'm missing here?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I have a Nikon D5500. It's been great but it's showing its age. At this point how silly would it be to replace it with a D500 versus getting something like an EOS R7/10 or waiting to see if Nikon ever wants to make a Z500? I've already got F lenses (although I'd probably want to get the DX 16-80 along with the camera), and it's got some good QoL tech over the 5500... but it's not mirrorless tech and they're still selling used for pretty good money.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

litany of gulps posted:

Anyone ever do any concert photography?

I've shot a couple of bands, these days I mostly shoot dance parties but it's basically the same principles. You're pretty much right on the money about gear and settings. Absolutely use the flash, you won't be able to get good action shots in the low light of a concert venue. You probably don't need as fast a shutter speed as you think, which is good because you also don't want to crank up your flash too high. Aperture, too, I wouldn't put any higher than 4, even lower probably. use spot metering.

Shooting in clubs my lens of choice is actually a 20mm prime, but that's because I'm right up in the crowd taking shots of people dancing, and I can walk right up to the DJ and stick a camera in their face (you can't really do that with musicians). I usually sit around f/2.8, rarely higher than 1/64 power on the flash - dialing in the brightness by riding the ISO I find yields less blown-out colour. My camera has IBIS, so my shutter speed is surprisingly low, usually 1/20. You'll probably have to bump up some of these settings because of the increased distance from the subject.

Rear sync for the flash is fun too, if you're partial to light trails (I fuckin' love 'em).

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

I've shot a couple of bands, these days I mostly shoot dance parties but it's basically the same principles. You're pretty much right on the money about gear and settings. Absolutely use the flash, you won't be able to get good action shots in the low light of a concert venue. You probably don't need as fast a shutter speed as you think, which is good because you also don't want to crank up your flash too high. Aperture, too, I wouldn't put any higher than 4, even lower probably. use spot metering.

Shooting in clubs my lens of choice is actually a 20mm prime, but that's because I'm right up in the crowd taking shots of people dancing, and I can walk right up to the DJ and stick a camera in their face (you can't really do that with musicians). I usually sit around f/2.8, rarely higher than 1/64 power on the flash - dialing in the brightness by riding the ISO I find yields less blown-out colour. My camera has IBIS, so my shutter speed is surprisingly low, usually 1/20. You'll probably have to bump up some of these settings because of the increased distance from the subject.

Rear sync for the flash is fun too, if you're partial to light trails (I fuckin' love 'em).

We ended up doing the photoshoot yesterday. Extremely successful in the sense that everyone involved had a lot of fun, the kids in the band were super happy with their photos, and the kids I had taking pictures got some great experience working in challenging conditions. I forgot to bring my flash, but it was fine. We did a bunch of photos in various lighting conditions, including with white house lights on shining toward the stage and colored lights behind, with mild fog throughout the air to make the colored light beams visible.

I'm really pleased with the results, but you've got me thinking about where this could go next. Once we're doing with the yearbook project, we've always got deadtime that we use to just screw around, make gossip podcasts, whatever. I might schedule another photoshoot and see what I can do with low shutter speeds and the flashes. I had the kids using 50mm lenses with some Canon 7D's. Those things are good learning tools, because if your settings are jacked up your photos are going to be poo poo. They're solid workhorses, but the autofocus and ISO noise definitely shows the age of the camera. Setting up complex shots in settings where you can control every variable, but you have to know what you're trying to achieve... well, should be great training for next year.

Thanks for the comment about rear sync flash, too. I wasn't even aware of this technique, but it looks super cool. I'm pretty sure at least my R5 is capable of it, I'm going to have to do some experimentation. I think I've been underutilizing flash in favor of managing light through the shutter speed and aperture controls, but it seems like there's a lot more to flash techniques than I realized.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

dupersaurus posted:

I have a Nikon D5500. It's been great but it's showing its age. At this point how silly would it be to replace it with a D500 versus getting something like an EOS R7/10 or waiting to see if Nikon ever wants to make a Z500? I've already got F lenses (although I'd probably want to get the DX 16-80 along with the camera), and it's got some good QoL tech over the 5500... but it's not mirrorless tech and they're still selling used for pretty good money.

It might help if you explain what about the D5500 is showing its age.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Mega Comrade posted:

It might help if you explain what about the D5500 is showing its age.

I’m just wondering if there’s some not-obvious value to a D500 versus the R7/10 which are, on paper, just as capable if not more for roughly the same price. Why’s the value still so high for a seven year old camera? (Assuming anyone has the experience to know)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The D500 is still an amazing wildlife camera. Mirrorless cameras have come a long way, but most still struggle to keep pace with the D500's autofocus at that price range, especially at the APS-C category.
If you've got a lot of F mount lenses too, nothing Nikon offers at the moment comes close except maybe the Z9 which is far far more expensive.

Personally I think it's insane Nikon still doesn't have a Z70/90 or whatever. Maybe this year.
If it does happen you will likely see a lot of D500 owners upgrade and the 2nd hand market flooding will bring down the price.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 11, 2023

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
If you've never used Canon's tracking AF on the Rx series you should try it out before you buy anything.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

The D500 is still an amazing wildlife camera. Mirrorless cameras have come a long way, but most still struggle to keep pace with the D500's autofocus at that price range, especially at the APS-C category.
If you've got a lot of F mount lenses too, nothing Nikon offers at the moment comes close except maybe the Z9 which is far far more expensive.

I’ve got a couple of good lenses but it wouldn’t be terrible to replace them. Honestly I probably wouldn’t be hesitant if it wasn’t so chonk… while I enjoy going out and shooting some birds, most of is use would be hikes and vacations and stuff

jarlywarly posted:

If you've never used Canon's tracking AF on the Rx series you should try it out before you buy anything.

Sounds like it’s time for a rental showdown :jeb:

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
D500 owns and operates like a D5, but I don’t know if the image quality is a massive step up from the D5500. If you shoot a lot of sports and wildlife it’s absolutely worth it, imo. Otherwise maybe evaluate what you mainly shoot and upgrade accordingly.

I know the F mount is on its way out, but there is so much great used glass out there for lower prices every quarter. Still years of life left in the system is you don’t have to have the latest tech and don’t care about video.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Sold some mint in box Nikon F lenses and boy did they not fetch much. I guess thems the market these days.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

Hey I just upgraded from a D5600 to a D500 I think about a year ago? I primarily focused on Wildlife and managed to find a very low shutter count body and it's been quite a nice upgrade.

What do you focus on subject wise most? I don't regret buying the D500 for wildlife, but the autofocus stuff coming out now, and mirrorless quality of life stuff is really tempting me (though I'm probably locked in for 5 more years or so on this D500). In-body stabilization as well is pretty slick on those new fangled mirrorless units.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If I ever find a cheap D6 in the next 5yr I’ll buy it just to have the last Nikon DSLR.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Slotducks posted:

Hey I just upgraded from a D5600 to a D500 I think about a year ago? I primarily focused on Wildlife and managed to find a very low shutter count body and it's been quite a nice upgrade.

What do you focus on subject wise most? I don't regret buying the D500 for wildlife, but the autofocus stuff coming out now, and mirrorless quality of life stuff is really tempting me (though I'm probably locked in for 5 more years or so on this D500). In-body stabilization as well is pretty slick on those new fangled mirrorless units.

Isn’t the D500 still a step up on mirrorless for AF? I believe most sports shooting pros still use DSLRs because of the AF reliability. I’ve seen endless reviews say the Nikon mirrorless lineup AF was unreliable until the Z9 and the D6 is still more consistent in challenging settings.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
IMO a good high quality prism viewfinder is still better to look through than the best EVF. Don’t get me wrong I want to see EVFs get better but it’s got a ways to go.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

IMO a good high quality prism viewfinder is still better to look through than the best EVF. Don’t get me wrong I want to see EVFs get better but it’s got a ways to go.

Very much an IMO. I prefer a high resolution EVF because it lets you see almost exactly how the image is going to be captured so you don't need to be constantly chimping to make sure your settings are right.

Also lets you do fancy tricks like overlaying a histogram or etc in the viewfinder so you have the maximum amount of image information to determine your exposure with.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Main issue i have (or had?) with EVFs is the blackout. Its so jarring. I've tried some newer models and it's much better now but the first and 2nd gen cameras all have it.

Almost picked up a Z6 a little while back but just couldn't get past it.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I have an R5 the EVF is essentially blackout less and the eye tracking AF is basically voodoo magic.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Brrrmph posted:

Isn’t the D500 still a step up on mirrorless for AF? I believe most sports shooting pros still use DSLRs because of the AF reliability. I’ve seen endless reviews say the Nikon mirrorless lineup AF was unreliable until the Z9 and the D6 is still more consistent in challenging settings.

I've heard good things about the Z9's autofocus. Apparently it's wildlife setting is unbelievably good; I have a friend who has one coming from the D500/D850 and he says it's like cheating. I haven't used it yet. Maybe for the best, I can't afford a $6k camera. poo poo I spent way too much on my D500 as it is.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I hear ya. I’ll snag a used Z9 in 2028.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
2028 is a good time for Z9.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hi fellow dorks, I'm after an upgrade to the wish.com camera backpack that I bought a few years ago. The optional raincover was blown into the North Atlantic last year, I'm finding it a little small for the gear I want to carry, the elasticated side pockets struggle to fit a 500ml water bottle, it's also a little small on me, and after much use I'm finding myself more and more into the concept of side access so that I can swing the bag around andgrab my camera or a lens change without having to take it off, find somewhere to put it down, and then unzip. Something in the 18 to 22L range should be the right size for my A7C plus 4ish lenses plus kit plus maybe some daytrip items.

I've been looking at the Mindshift PhotoCross 15 BackPack and the Manfrotto ProLight Multiloader M, anyone have any experience with them? Is there anything else I should look at? Or a change in size/type concept I haven't considered?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

What do we think about Ken Rockwell reviews? The guy's got a bit of boomer brain about him, but is it good data? I've not seen another site with everything documented so thoroughly.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dupersaurus posted:

What do we think about Ken Rockwell reviews? The guy's got a bit of boomer brain about him, but is it good data? I've not seen another site with everything documented so thoroughly.

No. Entertainment value only.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

dupersaurus posted:

i don't know what "we" think, but i think they're awful

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

His website is one big adventure in SEO, he cut and pastes specifications and adds a few lines about how awesome it is so he shows up in google results.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

dupersaurus posted:

He's sucked forever, and this coming from someone who read 'Steve's Digicams' in 1999. I can't believe his website is still getting traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Don’t be like that guys, we need to support him and his growing family