Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It's pronounced "jiff."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Gibbis, or G B S as some call it,

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Seth Pecksniff posted:

As a question, are there other rules that you see inconsistently applied or don't make sense?

How about the one where you get perma'd for creating a thread that lasts for years because other people posted images in it that the QCS crew eventually decided they didn't like?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Devils Affricate posted:

How about the one where you get perma'd for creating a thread that lasts for years because other people posted images in it that the QCS crew eventually decided they didn't like?

That depends, do they post Shrek dick or snake tits
One will get you permabanned, the other a probe

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
If you post a picture on the internet it means that you jerk off to it

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
"The Jib-iss"

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

also

Smugworth posted:

Smugworth for GBS moderator

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
A vote for Smugworth is a vote to Make Posting Fun Again (MPFA)

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I'm voting for deez nuts

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Nooner do you want to be my running mate
A successful Smugworth - Nooner moderator ticket could change the forums forever

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don’t want smugworth to become a mod because good GBS mods usually stop posting :(

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Smugworth posted:

If elected, my first act as moderator of GBS will be to ensure anyone who ever brings up the meta discussion about the c word again is given a thoroughly embarrassing avatar

Is it going to be an av that's tailored to embarrass the user, or a standard-issue embarrassing av?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

do not lust for power smugworth, it will be your downfall

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Pretty sure smugworth only wants to become a mod so he can ban me. Therefore I cannot recommend voting for him

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
If SW becomes mod, his new nickname with be smuggies and anyone who defends him will be known as smuggies huggies

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I don’t want smugworth to become a mod because good GBS mods usually stop posting :(

Thanks for your support, ninjoatse.cx. I can assure you if I am elected moderator, my posting will only get more plentiful and bizarre.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Is it going to be an av that's tailored to embarrass the user, or a standard-issue embarrassing av?

I have selected MrQwerty as my Chief Secretary of Avatars and have full confidence in him. The work he's done for the Nom Epique thread alone has been beyond outstanding.

Devils Affricate posted:

Pretty sure smugworth only wants to become a mod so he can ban me. Therefore I cannot recommend voting for him

I have only pledged to ban olive haters trolling the Official GBS Olive Thread for Olive Related Posting on Olives (title change pending). You're not an olive hater, are you?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Smugworth posted:

I have only pledged to ban olive haters trolling the Official GBS Olive Thread for Olive Related Posting on Olives (title change pending). You're not an olive hater, are you?

Hell no!

Devils Affricate posted:

Olives are really good, and people who don't like them are stupid

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

ninjoatse.cx posted:

If SW becomes mod, his new nickname with be smuggies and anyone who defends him will be known as smuggies huggies

I was thinking Smugbudz™️

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
It's a Faustian bargain to become a mod Smugworth

What you gain pales to what you lose

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I, Smugworth, personally promise that if you make me a mod I will immediately and profoundly increase the amount of diaper fetishists posting in GBS.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I hear Jeff is looking for admins. Seems like a great opportunity to fast track Smugworth into a leadership role.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Pay no attention to Slugworth.

Jeff, this is the will of the posters. It's time to heal the division in these good forums.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Rude. :mad:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

smugworth vs slugworth thunderdome when. whoever wins becomes a mod we lose

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sell mod positions like indulgences.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't give a gently caress if "oval office" is banned, go nuts. I just don't think it makes any sense that collectively every subforum mod has discussed this and agreed it's a bad idea, but things like "retard" are still up in the air I guess?

Call someone or something a "retard"? Probated or banned. Okay, that's honestly fair. Except, you know, go to FYAD where threads have "retard" (directed at a person even!) in the title. The problem isn't whether "oval office" is a ban-worthy word, or if it's actually good, that's not loving important, please just blanket ban it and the whiny shits in the UK/Aus threads can just loving deal. The problem is there seems to be no coordination, rhyme or reason to decisions.

If you literally can't get mods of subforums to agree on simple poo poo like "don't call people a 'oval office' or 'retard'" then what the gently caress is happening? I think someone upthread mentioned the moderation seems to be done like reddit, and it kind of seems like it. Everyone has their own little section where the rules are just different, because ???

Outside of a designation of "more serious"/"shitposting approved" there shouldn't be any rules in conflict with the rest of the site. It's just fucken weird.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I got probated for participating in an on topic conversation about parachute retarded ordnance

I think that was retarded as gently caress

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Nooner posted:

I got probated for participating in an on topic conversation about parachute retarded ordnance

I think that was retarded as gently caress

i still chuckle at when i was probed for saying retard when referring to engine combustion timing. it was a mispost intended for ai and i forgave the mod but it was a v funny example of word filtering to me

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i still chuckle at when i was probed for saying retard when referring to engine combustion timing. it was a mispost intended for ai and i forgave the mod but it was a v funny example of word filtering to me

Yeah, I remember that. You were quite gracious and understanding about the mistake, and I appreciated the explanation.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

I don't give a gently caress if "oval office" is banned, go nuts. I just don't think it makes any sense that collectively every subforum mod has discussed this and agreed it's a bad idea, but things like "retard" are still up in the air I guess?

Call someone or something a "retard"? Probated or banned. Okay, that's honestly fair. Except, you know, go to FYAD where threads have "retard" (directed at a person even!) in the title. The problem isn't whether "oval office" is a ban-worthy word, or if it's actually good, that's not loving important, please just blanket ban it and the whiny shits in the UK/Aus threads can just loving deal. The problem is there seems to be no coordination, rhyme or reason to decisions.

If you literally can't get mods of subforums to agree on simple poo poo like "don't call people a 'oval office' or 'retard'" then what the gently caress is happening? I think someone upthread mentioned the moderation seems to be done like reddit, and it kind of seems like it. Everyone has their own little section where the rules are just different, because ???

Outside of a designation of "more serious"/"shitposting approved" there shouldn't be any rules in conflict with the rest of the site. It's just fucken weird.

Well, again, this isn't about the rest of the site, it's about GBS specifically. I will state that ableist language is going to continue to be off the table in terms of allowance.

What I will say on the topic is that every forum is its own ecosystem, much like a lot of individual threads can be. There's the generalized site wide rules (which terribly need updating) and each forum has its own autonomy to craft rules specific to them, and it's pretty much always been this way. You wouldn't want D&D rules in here, would you? (Not to pick on them but it's the best example of how the rules of another forum definitely wouldn't apply here). FYAD definitely doesn't want GBS rules and I'm not sure CSPAM would accept rules crafted in BYOB. Each forum has its own culture, and I kinda like it like that personally. But this is my garden I tend to so I wanna make sure you beautiful flowers are happy and fed

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I remember a different slur being associated with AI. Hmmm just what are they up to

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

hey Seth can I be a n idiot king thanks

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Which thread?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I don’t care

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Give sid the hot dog thread imo

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Well, again, this isn't about the rest of the site, it's about GBS specifically. I will state that ableist language is going to continue to be off the table in terms of allowance.

What I will say on the topic is that every forum is its own ecosystem, much like a lot of individual threads can be. There's the generalized site wide rules (which terribly need updating) and each forum has its own autonomy to craft rules specific to them, and it's pretty much always been this way. You wouldn't want D&D rules in here, would you? (Not to pick on them but it's the best example of how the rules of another forum definitely wouldn't apply here). FYAD definitely doesn't want GBS rules and I'm not sure CSPAM would accept rules crafted in BYOB. Each forum has its own culture, and I kinda like it like that personally. But this is my garden I tend to so I wanna make sure you beautiful flowers are happy and fed

Literally just agreeing on what slurs are inappropriate, site-wide, is something that should not be outside the realm of possibility. Extrapolating to "we need the same rules absolutely everywhere always" is not what I meant, nor is it a sensible thing to do?

"Getting all the forums to agree on what slurs or horrific types of posts are inappropriate" is not realistic I guess? If calling someone a "oval office" or "retard" is something that is probate-worthy then cool, that's fine, but it's loving weird that it's okay some places. Also only some of them some places, because people just want that.

Do you see how weird it is to have rules like "Don't use the word 'oval office' unless in two specific threads" or "don't call someone a 'retard', unless you're posting in FYAD" or "'human being' is bannable, unless you're posting in Ask/Tell" or whatever the gently caress?

I'm not asking AI or GWS to have identical rules to GBS, but goddamn this is like bare minimum and it sounds like "woah, we can't agree on what slurs or posts are universally bad" is pretty... bad?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Slugworth posted:

I, Smugworth, personally promise that if you make me a mod I will immediately and profoundly increase the amount of diaper fetishists posting in GBS.

:laugh:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

"Posting slurs is bad"

"oval office is a slur"

"We dont think it is"

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I personally don’t use the word and I understand that it’s used differently elsewhere in the world, but if it’s causing this much stress where every time feedback is requested that’s all anyone can talk about then just loving ban it in GBS because clearly everyone’s opinion on what constitutes proper use and intent is going to differ. If you’re that butthurt about not being able to use a single word then I don’t know what to tell you about how to navigate life in general. If it is that important to you to be able to say it just go to FYAD or IZ and go hog wild.

BAGS FLY AT NOON fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Mar 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
Hitler is a oval office.