Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Xenomrph posted:

I bought Federation Force, does it support partying up with randos via a game lobby listing/browser/whatever, or is it pretty much friends-only, invite-only?

In other words, if any of you guys have it would you be down for coop mayhem sometime?

Yeah I would play it with some goonz. I guess I’ll have to pick it up, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

bladeworksmaster posted:

And yet all I feel now is apathy and would prefer just not bringing it up anymore. It just doesn't feel like it's worth my time and energy.

I think the feeling comes from having Dread and knowing that's not the course that's locked in now, like when botw was the opposite of everything that went wrong with skyward sword.

You're free of star wars sequel syndrome and it's now just something that did suck, instead of something that continues to suck.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

ikanreed posted:

I think the feeling comes from having Dread and knowing that's not the course that's locked in now, like when botw was the opposite of everything that went wrong with skyward sword.

You're free of star wars sequel syndrome and it's now just something that did suck, instead of something that continues to suck.

I think it’s that, and the fact that over so many rounds of discourse from forums and Youtube videos that it’s not so much a dead horse as subatomic particles that used to resemble a horse, if you catch my drift.

But regardless, it is good be back in a period where we can look forward to Metroid stuff again.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Funny enough I didn't pay that much attention to the discourse around Other M so I don't know exactly what's wrong with it. I mean, beyond everything that's clearly wrong with it in the first 30 minutes.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I 100%'ed Other M so I must not have minded actually playing it that much, and most of my hate was for the story and cutscenes. I have no desire to ever play it again, though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I 100%'ed Other M so I must not have minded actually playing it that much, and most of my hate was for the story and cutscenes. I have no desire to ever play it again, though.
I 100%'d it because I have a sick love for terrible games (see also: doing a 100% Let's Play for Sonic 06), and the gameplay isn't that bad, I don't even mind the point to shoot missiles that much, you can have a little fun blasting stuff, some of the secrets are neat to find, there's a little bit of a good game in there. However, even that gets buried under mountains of minorly bad design decisions, like the aforementioned speed bumps that make backtracking just a tiny bit more frustrating, enemies that are actually quite annoying to fight with the slow-rear end missile controls, the general sense of pointlessness regarding upgrades in general because your dodge is so strong and you can always refill missiles so why even get more health/ammo, and so on.

Hell, the superboss is cool and a pretty fun fight. The game could be good despite the imposed control limitations. It's just not at all on top of that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I also 100%’d it because 100%ing Other M is really really easy and also the post-game item hunt is the one part where the game starts to feel a little bit like Metroid

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Kid Icarus: Uprising had a similar minimalistic control scheme (minus the motion controls) and while I wouldn't call it good by any stretch of the imagination I think it demonstrates how to pull it off and make it functional (mostly by having a dodge with a real cooldown and a finite number of invincibility frames.)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I definitely got 100% in Other M and then never played it again. The secret boss was kinda cool, I guess.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

All I remember from KI:U's control scheme is that it needed that little plastic stand to hold the 3DS and it made my hands hurt

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

I bought Federation Force, does it support partying up with randos via a game lobby listing/browser/whatever, or is it pretty much friends-only, invite-only?

In other words, if any of you guys have it would you be down for coop mayhem sometime?

Man I'd be down for this, but I have some real life conflicts for the next few weeks that will prevent me from partaking. Hope you guys enjoy it, I'll continue to defend the honor of that game forever.

And yes, there are lobbies to team up with random people, though I question if there are many players out there these days.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

When they shut down the 3DS eshop, are online functions going to cease for games, too?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
It's really hard to defend other m but credit where it's due...after the negative feedback, they have course corrected and metroid is in a great place now

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

When they shut down the 3DS eshop, are online functions going to cease for games, too?

Online play will remain available as well as the ability to download purchases games, according to the internet

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

It's really hard to defend other m but credit where it's due...after the negative feedback, they have course corrected and metroid is in a great place now

They course-corrected into Federation Force, my dude

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Man I'd be down for this, but I have some real life conflicts for the next few weeks that will prevent me from partaking. Hope you guys enjoy it, I'll continue to defend the honor of that game forever.

And yes, there are lobbies to team up with random people, though I question if there are many players out there these days.

Well if we play it when I’m actually doing my timeline playthrough, it’s gonna be a while because I have to beat Hunters, and Prime 2 and 3 first. :v:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Sockser posted:

They course-corrected into Federation Force, my dude

Well I was thinking more of Samus returns and Dread...but regarding federation force,

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'll continue to defend the honor of that game forever.

:colbert:

Xenomrph posted:

Well if we play it when I’m actually doing my timeline playthrough, it’s gonna be a while because I have to beat Hunters, and Prime 2 and 3 first. :v:

Well hot drat, make a post when you guys are looking to start up, if I'm able, I'll play for sure.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Augus posted:

I also 100%’d it because 100%ing Other M is really really easy and also the post-game item hunt is the one part where the game starts to feel a little bit like Metroid

Too bad you can't even play the post game in Hard Mode for some baffling reason

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I'm most of the way through Samus Returns, and its got its problems, but you can really see the bones of Dread in this game. AM2R is by far the better Metroid 2 remake, but Samus Returns walked so that the Dread could run.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

gently caress me, fighting the control scheme in Hunters is getting old. I just cleared Arcterra and I died to the Octolith boss 4 times and to Trace twice, and it’s entirely due to my hands cramping up.

Halfway through the game though.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

gyro mode on the prime remaster w/ pro controller 🤌

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

I just played Metroid Fusion for the first time in 20 years and I don't know if it is because I played through it immediately after my first play through of Dread, but I was a bit disappointed with the SA-X sections. I was remembering lots of long, tense chase scenes, but there were like two of them and they were only a few rooms long and not particularly difficult. It's a decent game (it was my first ever Metroid and made me a fan of the series), but I forgot how short and easy it is.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I can't imagine how anyone could handle the giant spider boss in Metroid Fusion without having a save state right before the door. If it was on original hardware it probably would have made me put down the game for good.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Item Getter posted:

I can't imagine how anyone could handle the giant spider boss in Metroid Fusion without having a save state right before the door. If it was on original hardware it probably would have made me put down the game for good.

Oh yeah that one hosed me up the first time. Hiding in morphball in the corners so it couldn't grab me worked pretty well second try. The boss that gave me the most trouble was the one where you are shooting at the chozo statue while plants are shooting spores at you. Could never get out of the plants when I fell in.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Item Getter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kza58WEWyJI

"Yakuza spawns at the top of the room, and before it comes down, you can shoot several missiles into its mouth. I can't offer too much advice as to how you can avoid Yakuza. I would try being in the morph ball on the left or right side of the screen.

Yakuza's mouth stays open just long enough to charge the beam and hit it, so it's possible to hit it every time."

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yakuza, the plant boss (Nettori? Maybe?) and Nightmare before were extreme roadblocks for me as a kid. Took me forever to clear them. The lack of savepoints before the first two really didn't help to get me motivated for more attempts...

Hot Stunt posted:

Oh yeah that one hosed me up the first time. Hiding in morphball in the corners so it couldn't grab me worked pretty well second try. The boss that gave me the most trouble was the one where you are shooting at the chozo statue while plants are shooting spores at you. Could never get out of the plants when I fell in.
big same, that is super rude. I used to do a careful rhythm of powerbomb to clear the spores, then shoot a single charged shot, powerbomb again...why no missiles? Well, they're limited quantity ofc but also how could they possibly be better than a charged laserbeam? Pew pew

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hot Stunt posted:

I just played Metroid Fusion for the first time in 20 years and I don't know if it is because I played through it immediately after my first play through of Dread, but I was a bit disappointed with the SA-X sections. I was remembering lots of long, tense chase scenes, but there were like two of them and they were only a few rooms long and not particularly difficult. It's a decent game (it was my first ever Metroid and made me a fan of the series), but I forgot how short and easy it is.

yeah they felt a lot more threatening when I was a kid

Item Getter posted:

I have that section leading up to Yakuza committed to memory, the amount of times I had to run back to it back when I first played the game.

Simply Simon posted:

Yakuza, the plant boss (Nettori? Maybe?) and Nightmare before were extreme roadblocks for me as a kid. Took me forever to clear them. The lack of savepoints before the first two really didn't help to get me motivated for more attempts...

B.O.X. 2 was also a huge roadblock for me as a kid, but mercifully they give you a save point right before that one.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The spider was a pretty rude surprise since it came down pretty fast and did a couple energy tanks out of the blue if it caught you, but morphballing in the corner trivializes it. Nightmare was just a fucker though.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Nthing that Yakuza was a a giant rear end in a top hat that I spent like three weeks on as a child. I spent a good amount of time on some of the other bosses too but I never got stuck on them like I did him.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
My brother started Dread as his first Metroid game. I told him it might be better for him to wait until March 9th so he could play Fusion first, but he went ahead with Dread.

Friday I got a text from him:

quote:

Im on Dredd final boss, Samus is a metroid?!?

lol

I gave him Cliff Notes on the plot (x parasite were out of control, chozo make metroids, samus kills the metroids, samus gets infected, samus gets metroid dna, now she's the only one who will survive x parasites), he responded saying the story was really good! I had to tell him yeah the story is fun but that paragraph I gave him represents the plot from like 20+ years of games. Though come to think of it, I guess most of that stuff was from Fusion only.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

TaurusOxford posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kza58WEWyJI

"Yakuza spawns at the top of the room, and before it comes down, you can shoot several missiles into its mouth. I can't offer too much advice as to how you can avoid Yakuza. I would try being in the morph ball on the left or right side of the screen.

Yakuza's mouth stays open just long enough to charge the beam and hit it, so it's possible to hit it every time."

Bosses don't turn red when low on health enough anymore.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

the holy poopacy posted:

Haha, no. I understand why you might think so but you're going to just have to trust me on this one.
I'd accept if somebody thought they shared the bottom spot game-wise even if I didn't agree, but on a story level Other M is the greatest character assassination of a beloved video game franchise-header and icon that I can think of.

And that she was the first woman in that category makes it absolutely un-loving-forgivable. I get that he had a lot to do with Dread, which was great, but I would dance a jig for two straight days if Sakamoto got shitcanned from heading up Metroid.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Other M stinks of two things: last minute re-writes that ruin its already kinda ropey story, and the ubiquitous impulse in the industry at the time to push to "streamline" games to make them more "cinematic."

EIther one of those individually would have made a game mediocre, and you could lay the blame at Sakamoto's feet for them. Both at once is just unfortunate.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Taking my time with Prime Remastered. Just got the spider ball. Did they not add the ability to boost ball off a spider track until Echoes? Or is it only in certain spots. I can’t remember

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Taking my time with Prime Remastered. Just got the spider ball. Did they not add the ability to boost ball off a spider track until Echoes? Or is it only in certain spots. I can’t remember

idk if it's impossible because I don't think I tried, but it's definitely not required anywhere. Wouldn't be surprised if it was added between games.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Why is the giant spider named Yakuza anyway?

Nightmare was cool but I kind of feel like the design of the boss doesn't fit in with the art style of the Metroid series.
At the last mission now.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 20, 2023

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Item Getter posted:

Why is the giant spider named Yakuza anyway?

Guessing it is a web analogy :v:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Maybe inspired by the left eye. Not sure what a Gedo (ゲドゥ) is either, though, from the Japanese script/OST track title.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Bismack Billabongo posted:

It's not in Prime 1, purely an Echoes invention (and it rules, I looove Echoes' ball puzzles).

I did also try it in the Remaster tho :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Anyone who's enjoyed revisiting Fusion should check out the randomiser. With the difficulty at the lowest setting it doesn't expect any sequence breaking style tricks so it becomes purely about exploration and map knowledge.

I recently tried the Zero Mission randomiser which is also really good but seems to be at its best if you can master single wall jumping / infinite bomb jumping which are the two tricks that break that game wide open, but they're also ones that I cannot do consistently enough to rely on. I should probably replay ZM vanilla to refresh my knowledge of the map as well.