Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Jay Rust posted:

My gut tells me most popular rpgs were written for teens, I get not being interested in them
you sound fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Is it really that weird to not be interested at things not aimed at your demographic? Nobody even said that it means something must be objectively poo poo or anything.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The strongest "this is not for me" reaction I've ever had was the baby versus raccoon fight scene in Incredibles 2 but. That's not a very good movie anyway.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
focusing on the idea of demographics is ultimately meaningless compared to paying any attention to the actual text of something. some of the heaviest and most experimental stories have been aimed at literal children and lots of infantile and soulless works are aimed at adults

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

mycot posted:

Is it really that weird to not be interested at things not aimed at your demographic? Nobody even said that it means something must be objectively poo poo or anything.

It's one thing to generally not be interested or to have 'aged out' as it were, but it's another to make gut assumptions and be dismissive about media for other age groups.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

most rpgs arent really aimed at 'teenagers' exactly they're aimed at the sought after 18-34 demographic. and if we're talking JRPGs most of them have adult women as an intentional part of their marketing strategy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like i dont think teenaged boys are the ones buying stuff like the 200 dollar tales of xillia heels

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

What JRPGs do you play if you think the stories all suck..This isn't a gotcha or anything I'm genuinely curious.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
What makes a story good anyway? People are so vague

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Themes. Depth. Intelligence. Wisdom. Maturity. Brevity. Wit. Sex. Insightfulness. Growth. Success. Death. Gloom. Despair. Hope. Kindness. Wholesomeness. Future. Personality. Death. Revolution. Realism.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If I like the story then it’s a good story

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

most rpgs arent really aimed at 'teenagers' exactly they're aimed at the sought after 18-34 demographic. and if we're talking JRPGs most of them have adult women as an intentional part of their marketing strategy.

poo poo. what games do I start playing in 14 months?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
any video game. you've reached post game. you're too high level now no one can stop you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

when two guys activate their powered up mode at the same time

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a good video game narrative is f-zero gx for the gamecube, or senran kagura burst for the nintendo 3ds. a bad video game narrative is the last of us part 2 for ps5, or tell me why for the multiplatform.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tired Moritz posted:

Just give me something memorable, like the climax to Shadowbringers, that's some good poo poo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

been playing kakarot for the last few days and yeah, it's true

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
A story is good when at a dramatic moment, a new character portrait is unveiled to represent a character’s unprecedentedly intense emotions.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tired Moritz posted:

Insert themes at appropriately dramatic moments, I'm pretty sure. It's an even better story when they use the title theme

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

There needs to be more pastiches of the Sonic Adventure 2 ending

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not being overly expository helps. It's always more interesting to realize something than to be told something.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

nrook posted:

A story is good when at a dramatic moment, a new character portrait is unveiled to represent a character’s unprecedentedly intense emotions.

hell yeah crosscode rules

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

Insert themes at appropriately dramatic moments, I'm pretty sure. It's an even better story when they use the title theme

mycot posted:

There needs to be more pastiches of the Sonic Adventure 2 ending

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Colonel posted:

focusing on the idea of demographics is ultimately meaningless compared to paying any attention to the actual text of something. some of the heaviest and most experimental stories have been aimed at literal children and lots of infantile and soulless works are aimed at adults

Yeah! TWEWY kicks rear end while Bioshock Infinite and Outer Worlds suck immensely

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a good story is when a guy in a suit walks across a big island while listening to lo fi remixes of royalty free classical music and everyone makes fun of him for walking across the island, or when a weird alcoholic detective walks into a hotel and snoops into people's rooms to find connections to his missing partner, or when a travelling sorceress has mild sexual tension and makes out with random women for 40 minutes and then walks off into the distance after a random woman shows her the nape of her neck standing by a window against a moonlit ocean

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
which game's the last one

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a good story is when a jrpg protagonist, a witch with an inferiority complex, a gay dude assuming the identity of his crush who is a war hero, a ten year old sentenced for self sacrifice, a lesbian cyborg descended from a legendary warrior and a socially awkward vampire navigate the hypocrisy of the idea of heroism and how it dehumanizes people into convenient political and religious figures stripped of personal identity or thought

a good story is when you fight a guy on the moon

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Leraika posted:

which game's the last one

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i saw a review of tales of graces f that said 'it is a wonderful story.' and then gave it a 3/10.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So,e of these sound like they have too much going on, especially the moon fight one

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The Colonel posted:

a good story is when you fight a guy on the moon

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

The Colonel posted:

Themes. Depth. Intelligence. Wisdom. Maturity. Brevity. Wit. Sex. Insightfulness. Growth. Success. Death. Gloom. Despair. Hope. Kindness. Wholesomeness. Future. Personality. Death. Revolution. Realism.

I think you just put the kid in The Princess Bride to sleep, grandpa. Not even a chase or escape? Come on

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jay Rust posted:

So,e of these sound like they have too much going on, especially the moon fight one

buddy the moon fight one is half of the great video games ever made. it's asura's wrath.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

A good story is one that follows the hero’s journey (1949) as closely as possible

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Colonel posted:

buddy the moon fight one is half of the great video games ever made

Mario odyssey is fantastic but not because of the story

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a good story is

https://files.catbox.moe/87tdju.mp4

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

King of Solomon posted:

Buu Saga kinda drags and drags but having Chala Head Cha La for the end is pretty hype

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wait the one with the lesbian cyborg and socially awkward vampire sounds dope which one is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait the one with the lesbian cyborg and socially awkward vampire sounds dope which one is that?

wild arms 2

kanon doesnt actually hit on any women or anything but her end credit slide is a woman falling in love with her after seeing her beat up an entire bar's worth of crooks, while she simply calmly sips a glass of alcohol