Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've noticed this problem lately with horror and horror adjacent movies, where if the movie has anything to say at all or even just doesn't present itself as outright dumb, it's held to this ridiculous standard by nerds online. where if they don't think it's "saying enough" it's bad, if it's too obvious it's not subtle enough and "hamfisted" and if it's even remotely subtle people are just like "what is this movie trying to say?!" Seems like you can't win with online bigthinkers™

not that I'm calling anyone in this conversation specifically. I've just seen it a lot with Nope and The Menu etc. a lot lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also speaking of movies that rule and are about as subtle as a sock full of quarters to the head I highly recommend Nocebo on Shudder.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Spiral is a soulless Spirit Halloween store on film
No fun to be had, don't make my mistake and watch it

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Upsidads posted:

How does it compare to the actual spirit Halloween store movie?

edit spiral is ranked lower on rotten tomatoes but higher on imdb. Worth noting that the spirit Halloween movie was apparently given a 4.8/5 rating on spirithalloween.com!

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 19, 2023

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Upsidads posted:

Is it better or worse than the usual Saw garbage

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

A new low

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yes, Madam! was a lot of fun. Michelle Yeoh and Cynthia Rothrock just totally kicking rear end.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

SwissDonkey posted:

Nope loving owned. It had a little bit of allegory in there about the film industry but it was very much more about being a fun horror/sci fi movie. It's not high brow cinema and it really shouldn't be judged as such. It's by far the best 50s inspired B movie ever made.

To me it is Jaws of the sky. The director is a modern day Captain Ahab aka Quint. I loved it and wouldn't change a thing about it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
My friend rented The Whale and I'm usually pretty fair with movies be they Oscar bait or romcom fluff or comic book theme park rides but that was easily the biggest piece of poo poo of 2022, shockingly bad from Aronofsky who is usually great

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Has there been a successor to the X-Files that's worth watching? Enjoyed the first couple seasons of Fringe, but I'm not really aware of anything similar.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Evil is the closest I've seen.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

Yes, Madam! was a lot of fun. Michelle Yeoh and Cynthia Rothrock just totally kicking rear end.
Also heartily recommend Royal Warriors and Magnificent Warriors on Criterion, both absolute loving bangers. The latter might be my favorite (or at least second behind Lost Ark) Indiana Jones movie?? Yeoh even fights fascists (basically the entire Imperial Japanese army) and she's even better with a whip, makes me wish Harrison Ford had been replaced by her decades ago.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
And if you dig Cynthia Rothrock, check out Righting Wrongs, the Martial Law movies, and the Tiger Claws series.

I think you can rent most of these from Amazon, but the Martial Law flicks are on Tubi at least.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Cynthia Rothrock owns. I met her at a tournament in 1988-ish when I was 17. Got her autograph but lost it long ago. Cut to 20+ years later and my twin daughters got to meet her at a tournament they participated in. She was delightful both times.

I've seen shockingly few movies of hers, though.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

precision posted:

Is it better or worse than the usual Saw garbage

I think it's average. Not the worst Saw movie but certainly not the best. Maybe the most frustrating part is it almost does something interesting but then recoil because apparently the status quo of characters must be preserved even if it's only a 90 minute movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And if you dig Cynthia Rothrock, check out Righting Wrongs
Might be my favorite movie of all time. Just burst into laughter the first time I saw that ending. Just unmatched action filmmaking.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hell yeah, thanks for all the recs. I've seen only one Cynthia Rothrock flick back in the early 90s, but I can't at all remember which one. Watching Royal Warriors now, this kicks rear end.

e: loving these synth scores too

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 19, 2023

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Swarm on Amazon Prime is a little up its own rear end but the first two eps were pretty decent.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Has anyone watched Boston Strangler on Hulu? It came out on Friday. I saw one or two things that said it's vaguely like Zodiac and I've definitely watched Zodiac 400,000 times

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

It's good and well paced look at a journalist hunting leads

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Tim Whatley posted:

Swarm on Amazon Prime is a little up its own rear end but the first two eps were pretty decent.

I just finished the first episode and I'm interested. Donald Glover is directing and producing it and he's a pretty creative dude so hopefully it turns out well

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
For some inexplicable reason Netflix is giving me a row of "British Historical TV Shows" and along with documentaries like Attack on Pearl Harbor: Minute by Minute and Secrets of Great British Castles there is Cunk on Earth... l o l

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm way behind on my Nick Lachey trash reality shows, but that dude adding eye drops so he could fake cry in Love is Blind S3 is an all time moment.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Upsidads posted:

It's good and well paced look at a journalist hunting leads

Does Keira do a Boston accent? I can't even imagine what that would sound like. If she does I'll have to watch.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Jolo posted:

Does Keira do a Boston accent? I can't even imagine what that would sound like. If she does I'll have to watch.

I saw her on a talk show the other day and she said that she was excited to do a Boston accent for the movie, but the director immediately shut it down because if you didn't get the accent exactly down to which block the character grew up on, Bostonians would hate it, so she did a generic American accent.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Enos Cabell posted:

Wait, where is this treaming? Is it the 4k transfer from a few years ago?

B-Movie Bingo at the Hollywood Theatre in Portland seems to show a Rothrock movie at least a few times a year. If anyone in the area hasn't checked it out, it's always a great time IMO.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

frogbs posted:

Wait, where is this treaming? Is it the 4k transfer from a few years ago?

B-Movie Bingo at the Hollywood Theatre in Portland seems to show a Rothrock movie at least a few times a year. If anyone in the area hasn't checked it out, it's always a great time IMO.

Criterion Channel. They also have an Isabelle Huppert collection which has some good films, I enjoyed Amateur (1994).

It's very frustrating that they block screenshots on streaming services. I'm trying to do your advertising for you!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And if you dig Cynthia Rothrock, check out Righting Wrongs, the Martial Law movies, and the Tiger Claws series.

I think you can rent most of these from Amazon, but the Martial Law flicks are on Tubi at least.

Just looked for it and it's not available to stream or rent VOD unless I sign up for sime weird new service called Hi Yeah lol

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
yeah, it's worth the free trial of Hi-Yah but the version they have had like....a syncing issue with the dialogue and subtitles towards the second half.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm only three episodes in but goddamn I'm enjoying Shrinking

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm only three episodes in but goddamn I'm enjoying Shrinking

The whole cast is great, especially Christa Miller.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I got three eps into Shrinking and gave up. It's not funny or charming like Ted Lasso. It feels cheesy and poorly acted and written for the most part. And I love everyone involved! It's just a total whiff for me.

Also it has this shot lol.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
for me, Shrinking has just enough good stuff for me to continue watching it. It falls into the trap of doing joke payoffs way too quickly after the setup, among other things that make me think it's designed for a crowd that really wants to turn their brains off. I like all the actors, though.

I have been watching Hello Tomorrow! for some reason and should stop immediately because it's just not really clicking for me. It's not outwardly terrible, just doesn't have enough interesting or well-executed things to make it worth watching. Just kind of a boring story that doesn't seem to be going anywhere interesting. I think the actors are good but the show just doesn't seem to know what to do with itself.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just watched a few clips of Harrison Ford in that out of curiosity, and, man, he is definitely getting to that same difficult to watch "kinda sad they're so old" age, like Patrick Stewart in Picard.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Glottis posted:

I have been watching Hello Tomorrow! for some reason and should stop immediately because it's just not really clicking for me. It's not outwardly terrible, just doesn't have enough interesting or well-executed things to make it worth watching. Just kind of a boring story that doesn't seem to be going anywhere interesting. I think the actors are good but the show just doesn't seem to know what to do with itself.

Yeah, I watched the first episode, and even though the concept was very much up my alley, it didn't draw me in at all. Last night I tried to watch the second episode, and turned it off 15 minutes in just because it was so boring. It just seems like the main strategy of Apple is to throw a lot of money at big name stars, with it only working 10% of the time with their shows. Only a handful of shows on Apple+ are actually worth watching, but you wouldn't think it given that every single show has high profile actors starring in it. I have to wonder how much they're hemorrhaging money, and when they'll try and reign it in like Disney is now doing with Disney+ and cancelling or delaying a bunch of MCU shows, even those already filmed.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

feedmyleg posted:

I just watched a few clips of Harrison Ford in that out of curiosity, and, man, he is definitely getting to that same difficult to watch "kinda sad they're so old" age, like Patrick Stewart in Picard.

Honestly, he's a big draw for the show to me, after the last 15+ years I had forgotten how good he can be when he actually enjoys what he's working on.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I watched the first episode, and even though the concept was very much up my alley, it didn't draw me in at all. Last night I tried to watch the second episode, and turned it off 15 minutes in just because it was so boring. It just seems like the main strategy of Apple is to throw a lot of money at big name stars, with it only working 10% of the time with their shows. Only a handful of shows on Apple+ are actually worth watching, but you wouldn't think it given that every single show has high profile actors starring in it. I have to wonder how much they're hemorrhaging money, and when they'll try and reign it in like Disney is now doing with Disney+ and cancelling or delaying a bunch of MCU shows, even those already filmed.

I just started a 3 month free trial with Apple and I'm really underwhelmed. I feel like I'm missing a menu or something because it seems like they have maybe 25 things on the service. There's probably only 10 or so things I'd be interested in watching and that's being generous. No way I'm sticking around after the free trial. I'll just check back in a few years for new seasons of the shows.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

1glitch0 posted:

I just started a 3 month free trial with Apple and I'm really underwhelmed. I feel like I'm missing a menu or something because it seems like they have maybe 25 things on the service. There's probably only 10 or so things I'd be interested in watching and that's being generous. No way I'm sticking around after the free trial. I'll just check back in a few years for new seasons of the shows.

Yeah, I wouldn't pay for it myself, a friend added me to his family plan, which is very generous of him because he also pays for Showtime and Paramount Plus, which gives me those as well. Definitely make sure to watch For All Mankind while you have it, phenomenal show.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
For All Mankind take a huge dip in s3, I stopped watching after only a few episodes. But s1 and s2 are fantastic.

Another good one on Apple is Slow Horses. Gary Oldman as a washed up rear end in a top hat MI5 agent who’s been sent off to lord over other agents who’ve hosed up is great.

And Severance is probably the best show of last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Been watching Legends of Tomorrow Season 2 and I'm so glad that I came back to this show. It's so great and fast paced and sans bullshit.