Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No that’s just artful editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

kirbysuperstar posted:

Buu Saga kinda drags and drags but having Chala Head Cha La for the end is pretty hype

Yeah, exactly. You get it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
since nobody asked i'll just say that the first game is flower sun and rain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwSmxaJ2oFQ

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Colonel posted:

wild arms 2

kanon doesnt actually hit on any women or anything but her end credit slide is a woman falling in love with her after seeing her beat up an entire bar's worth of crooks, while she simply calmly sips a glass of alcohol

poo poo, I've had it sitting on my Vita and never got around to playing it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a very janky game and the english tl actively wrecks some lines of dialog but it's one of my favorite rpgs and rpg parties in general

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Stories are good when they are gay and the gayer they are the better the story

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think the Bastard Bonds guy turned out to be not so good..

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

Themes. Depth. Intelligence. Wisdom. Maturity. Brevity. Wit. Sex. Insightfulness. Growth. Success. Death. Gloom. Despair. Hope. Kindness. Wholesomeness. Future. Personality. Death. Revolution. Realism.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeha signalis is pretty good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeha fate/extra is pretty good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Signalis ftw

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeha fire emblem path of radiance is pretty good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
after wild arms 1-4's writer spent like ten years writing a yuri action anime i hope some of that pops up in armed fantasia

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

For me if final fantasy wants me back they should make a main character who’s like a 55-y-o divorced mom who’s struggling to care for her frail mom and dad with dementia in 2010 manchester (she’s also a gunblade master). Ffxiv came closest but didn’t stick to landing after character creation

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
speaking of Final Fantasies, some gameplay of boss fights in FF16 dropped like, two weeks ago.

They let you do kaiju sumo matches as Ifrit. You have a big dog buddy who helps you fight and heals you.

Dunno why more people aren't interested in it based on those two things alone

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

this

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Jack Garland

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

For me if final fantasy wants me back they should make a main character who’s like a 55-y-o divorced mom who’s struggling to care for her frail mom and dad with dementia in 2010 manchester (she’s also a gunblade master). Ffxiv came closest but didn’t stick to landing after character creation
i see. personally, i want a final fantasy game to be about a brave hero finding the four elemental crystals.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rean is being very charitable calling that 3d model well built

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

where's that drat fourth crystal

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Junpei posted:

speaking of Final Fantasies, some gameplay of boss fights in FF16 dropped like, two weeks ago.

They let you do kaiju sumo matches as Ifrit. You have a big dog buddy who helps you fight and heals you.

Dunno why more people aren't interested in it based on those two things alone

Gonna be real here, I still love dogs and video game dog buddies, but I'm over dogs just getting put into games to score some easy points.

Like when Capcom had that huge hack and one of stated design goals of the Palamutes listed that "can you pet the dog?" twitter account.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
a good story is when a character rejects external forces to determine their values and instead relies on a strong internal moral character that they follow to a self destructive degree and that is never explain which inevitably pushes love ones away.

also twin peaks the return is another type of good story.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Gonna be real here, I still love dogs and video game dog buddies, but I'm over dogs just getting put into games to score some easy points.

Like when Capcom had that huge hack and one of stated design goals of the Palamutes listed that "can you pet the dog?" twitter account.
its at least forgivable in monster hunter since the felynes have been around forever and the palico thing was a natural evolution to make single player more enjoyable, adding dogs with different functions is a pretty logical extension.

but yes its still very lame

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
a good story is when the entire game is a thin pretext for the author to project their hyper-specific kinks upon

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Neeksy posted:

a good story is when the entire game is a thin pretext for the author to project their hyper-specific kinks upon

yeah its this, if a game opens with 4k feet with individual toe articulation you know you're about to experience a masterpiece

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hideo kojima shows that fetishes in games are ok as long as your fetishes aren't being forced in a revolutionary girl utena multiplayer rp

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Palamutes are cool.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

A good story is when the game has a strong leitmotif

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

every PSO2 urgent quest boss' theme shifts into playing the opening medley mixed in when the boss gets to like 15% HP and it's loving sick every time

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
leitmotif is french for "the little moments"

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i genuinely love mute sniper girl who wears skimpy clothes because she breathes through her skin. so dumb. just a wild combination of ideas.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Insert themes at appropriately dramatic moments, I'm pretty sure. It's an even better story when they use the title theme

Can't deny this. Music is magic.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNIfUznz64o&t=812s

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

i genuinely love mute sniper girl who wears skimpy clothes because she breathes through her skin. so dumb. just a wild combination of ideas.
but do you regret your words and deeds

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP9rJdxmuQU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

A good story is something that makes you level up in real life. I didn't hate capitalism nearly as much as I should've when I was playing TF2 I highschool back when the comics still got updates.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Endorph posted:

but do you regret your words and deeds

Kojima really missed the mark on that one, I was regretting my words and deeds years before MGS V!

Also in hindsight I wonder if he just auto-translated 言動 for that since it's the precise wording for one of the definitions.

I mean it would've been kind of a silly thing to say either way, but I bet we'd gotten fewer Words and Memes about the precise quote if he'd landed on a less dramatic-sounding definition for "things said/done".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
he absolutely did because he still runs his english tweets through google translate. it's easy to see if you look up any of the original jp tweets for what he gets memed on in english, the auto translate is always the majority of what the english version ends up being