Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnpikeLad
Feb 12, 2007

ghost in bucket
any ongoing SA succession games right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021
Is it just me or is the tutorial in the Steam version very... uh... not good?

"Ok, we're going to automatically pick a place for you to settle." Ok, great. But could you tell me why you're picking that place in the world? "No. :)"

Ok, let's ignore that: We get into the site. "Ok, so to start off. We want you to dig underground (though some guides have stated to dig into walls if near a mountain), make a few rooms. Now, you're going to chop a few trees down, and then stockpile them with a bunch of refuse and some stuff from your cart."

Uh, how do I get rid of the refuse/trash? "YOU DON'T! IGNORE THAT RIGHT NOW! :) Now, we're going to make a workshop."

Ok, great. "Now we're going to make a bed. Just one! We're not going to tell you to build rooms for the dwarves themselves due to individuality. That's for you to figure out or wiki!"

Uh...? "And that's it! If you have any questions look in the help files with the '?' button and hopefully that'll explain things to you in a way you understand. GOOD LUCK! :)"

Buh? Wha? Uh...? What about food/drinks? What about the mountain of trash my dwarves will start to pile up? What do you mean I want to set zones and a common area????

"Nope. That's the end of the tutorial! AGAIN, GOOD LUCK!"

:shepicide:

They spent how long on the Steam port (from announcement and release), and they couldn't give more than a five minute (or there-about) tutorial to at least help you "survive" the first day/week/month or so before letting you loose? Like, Morrowind's tutorial is less a throwing-into-the-deep-end than this.

Should I just wait for the Adventure mode to be ported to Steam and just play that to where the developers at least give you some sort of foot-hold in understanding things?

(Yes, I realize the thread has a sort of mini-tutorial in the second post after the OP. Let me complain.)

I've been trying for the past like two days to play this and bouncing off every time I have to dive into menus to try to figure out what the game wants me to do. Especially with how (IMO) the UI is bad because "oops, you didn't hit the right button/keyboard shortcut to designate you want to mine/chop that wood!" Or when in the workshop: "Oh, you're trying to type 'make bed or bed?' I'm going to throw you into the build/pick menu instead because that's a keyboard short-cut because we can't "smartly" figure you're trying to type in the job menu. :) "

AnonymouseNo5 fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 18, 2023

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

You're right but you're supposed to kind of fail and learn from it. The game's tutorial is more there to teach the UI than teach the game. You can use the wiki's tutorial.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Synthbuttrange posted:

excuse me what does 'baby gorlack' mean here?

The next update is going to bring baby and child models to the game.

Though I doubt dwarves (or players) are going to difference between children and adults, so its gonna be uping the video game cruelty potential.

Yea, the tutorial is pretty bareboned, its cover the basic to get you started, but after that you better look at the quickstart guide in the wiki to understand where to go next, and even then you need to learn from either doing or reading, I pick up a lot of information and ideas from this thread.

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 18, 2023

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Are we still spoiling endgame stuff?

when you've discovered teeming horrors beyond comprehension but they're on the other side of a fortification so it's cool

let me just put a little wall right *here*

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

related to my last post :sun:

Do stairs support weight hanging below them? I know they support things above.

Like here, if this chunk was not supported on any sides or below, will that upwards staircase hold it from collapsing?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yes, they're load bearing stairs

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
is there any good way to mark an animal for slaughter from or while viewing the individual animal's stats page?

I want to cull the weak

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Best I got was changing the bottom nickname to make it easier to find on the other list.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

resistentialism posted:

Best I got was changing the bottom nickname to make it easier to find on the other list.

actually that'll work, I think. Thanks!

TurnpikeLad
Feb 12, 2007

ghost in bucket
I've had some fun making gpt-3 write the books described in dwarf fortress. I wonder how much generative ai could be implemented in DF in the future, even if only in the context of books and songs etc. I know Toady has been thinking of generating procedural tavern games for a while..

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Tiler Kiwi posted:

What I really wish there was, was some kind of dumbwaiter elevator for moving heavy poo poo up and down vertical levels faster. It existed in medieval times!

Tag yourself in the dude on lever duty and lemme tell you this job kicks rear end.

I also want to know about this (thinking I will need to learn mine carts) cause I rolled up a fort called Worktowers & plan on building a glass tower to the highest z level & include a guildhall for every single guild possible in it, even fish dissection.

The plan is to collect red sand off the floor, boot it down to some mama chamber full of glass and metalworks, and then have it track back up if I can figure out how to get good power without having to resort to infinite reactor bs.

Until then I need to wall off my surface area pronto cause it's almost a year in and we have almost no defenses, somehow the game progresses WAY faster than I remember it going in the days before multi level trees.

If i slap walls up based on whatever is laying around the dwarves will be able to perfectly disassemble them back into components right? This isn't rim world where they're going to waste all this precious rare materials etc?

Also building the woodcutter's guild out of logs will be less wood efficient than wooden blocks, right? I think that would just mean if I have to tear out the flooring in desperation then I am only getting useless wood blocks not something I can make beds out of?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Right. If you want to repurpose wood like that, leave it as logs, but you'll go through a LOT of logs.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

is there any good way to mark an animal for slaughter from or while viewing the individual animal's stats page?

I want to cull the weak

Thought the genetic system was currently borked

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
it's still very silly to me that it takes equal amount of material to build a wall as it does a floor, it makes outdoor constructions extremely expensive to create

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how are you scouting the demons? I just keep bumbling into them and losing miners.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Smooth one of the walls and carve a fortification into it.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Tiler Kiwi posted:

it's still very silly to me that it takes equal amount of material to build a wall as it does a floor, it makes outdoor constructions extremely expensive to create

Dwarves build to last which is why they use so much on everything.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Gnoman posted:

Smooth one of the walls and carve a fortification into it.

holy gently caress. why didnt i think of this before

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
it's weakness, just smash your way in and watch a miner get brutalized by a manifestation of family wielding a flail

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Zeruel posted:

holy gently caress. why didnt i think of this before

It is so simple. I've played this game since at least 40d and I didn't think of this.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

It is so simple. I've played this game since at least 40d and I didn't think of this.

Worth noting that you have to be careful doing this since if you carve fortifications with water or especially magma on the other side it can kill your dwarf very quickly. Best to determine the location of water/magma on a level and get rid of it before searching for demons.

If I’m lucky I can wipe out the magma on one level with the water on the previous one, but when that fails I manually turn on a pump at the top of the spire to drench the current floor. It’s worked pretty well my current game—about 40 z levels mined and only 2 deaths.

Ed: another thing you can do; deliberately cause a cave in over the spire so long as your dwarves are far away. It’ll punch through the ceiling and free the demons, and more often than not kill them in the process. Note: don’t try this at very low levels since you don’t want to pop a shaft. This is also a good way to get treasures dumped into water/magma so has its downside.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 20, 2023

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Virtual Russian posted:

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how are you scouting the demons? I just keep bumbling into them and losing miners.

Build glass floors on the zlevel above

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

uPen posted:

Build glass floors on the zlevel above

How does that work? Wouldn't you have to channel first? Wouldn't that release the demon?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Virtual Russian posted:

How does that work? Wouldn't you have to channel first? Wouldn't that release the demon?

Nah, it’s a minor glitch. You build the floor, you can see through it from above—and only from above. You haven’t actually “revealed” the tile.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Each tile contains a "wall" and a "floor". When you mine a normal rock tile, you remove the wall, but leave the floor. When you build a floor on a tile that already has one, it replaces the old one in a single action, so there's no time for anything to escape. The way glass transparency works, you can build a floor on a tile, and then look from the above to see if the tile below is an empty space, or a wall.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Which is really funny to picture happening. The demon is chilling and suddenly *poof* the ceiling becomes transparent above them.

I didn't use it getting all the way down my spire and the casualties weren't too bad, though, just the occasional one from magma. Usually they are fast enough to run away from it in time.

speaking of which, the HFS has been conquered - now to build a glass castle and retire.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Nosre posted:

Which is really funny to picture happening. The demon is chilling and suddenly *poof* the ceiling becomes transparent above them.

I didn't use it getting all the way down my spire and the casualties weren't too bad, though, just the occasional one from magma. Usually they are fast enough to run away from it in time.

speaking of which, the HFS has been conquered - now to build a glass castle and retire.

drat, that is pretty cool

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I think the game got the owner <-> pet relationship backwards here lol

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Nah, Tarn and Zach know what they mean.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

No it's just cats that work like that in dwarf fortress.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
You can't blame them for playing loosey goosey with the laws of reality.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Who needs reality, anyway! What's it ever done for us?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

So, my first fortress has reached a steady state as a machine for turning hundreds of visiting performers a year into ghosts. Had a nice big capital with a bunch of taverns and visitors. After the werebeaver apocalypse brought my population from 200 to 20, the remaining weres invite every migrant and performer in and build tombs as fast as they can(not fast enough). Tons of performers keep coming and applying to live there thanks to the 3 big, high quality open inn/taverns I built before the end. Every month the weres go nuts and kill the guests who haven't been found dead contorted in fear. The place is absolutely overrun with stray dogs and ghosts. I'm not getting much building done anymore, so I might retire this one and try to build an actual fortress sealing off the outside world - I guess there's a reason dwarves build fortresses and not nice open towns!

Question Time fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 21, 2023

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I've kept an open town for 10 years and somehow I've managed to not have any big were-accidents - mostly because I keep military training going within the tavern itself. I'd be boned if one popped in the library, though.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I had a were-incident, but luckily only one other dwarf was bit so I expelled them right away and things have been going smoothly. Surely this will never come back to haunt me.

Also going with my strategy of outfitting everyone in silk shirts and leather pants again as their only choices which just amuses me to think about.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

I've had a couple of were-incidents, but anyone who gets bitten gets to live in my sealed gladiator pit/maze under the big tavern made entirely of glass. Every full moon, the patrons of the tavern get a show when I open the adjacent holding pen for invaders that got caught in cage traps.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Question Time posted:

Tons of performers keep coming and applying to live there thanks to the 3 big, high quality open inn/taverns I built before the end. Every month the weres go nuts and kill the guests who haven't been found dead contorted in fear.

All you need is two rogues visiting this place, and you have the plot from "From Dusk Till Dawn" :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

Genpei Turtle posted:

I've had a couple of were-incidents, but anyone who gets bitten gets to live in my sealed gladiator pit/maze under the big tavern made entirely of glass. Every full moon, the patrons of the tavern get a show when I open the adjacent holding pen for invaders that got caught in cage traps.

that is so cool