Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

biceps crimes posted:

anyone have tips for gearing a fresh level 90? I hit level cap but didn't do anything at 90 from EW's release until now. My handful of level 90 jobs are all like ilvl 560 and I am locked out of the second dungeon as I'm catching up on patch content. There's level 610 gear on the AH but it's kind of expensive

Check Party Finder for Aglaia and Eurphresene runs, they are pretty common, and if it's a full party ilvl is ignored and you can get carried

eta: nobody cares anyway cos it's so easy and a lot of people have full sets now and are just crunching coins or alts themselves

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's always a fun time when you get Tower at Paradigm Beach with a bunch of first timers. Nothing like 2/3 of raid getting owned by Tandem Assault: Breakthrough.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Chillgamesh posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Divine Might ripoff where you fight all four Cardinal Virtues and CV-ified Ardbert at once

It can drop little Suppanomimi-model crystal earrings, I'd do it

I gotta be honest, I have no idea how they would work on 3D, they don't look like earrings at all.

But a crystal warrior series would be neat.

Or maybe going through the jailers of Al'taieu

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I like the idea of getting to fight what would've happened if the Warrior of Light ended up as a Lightwarden. My mental visual is a featureless crystal puppet being controlled by a hand from above via job-stones. With all the job weapons floating around and being gripped when it is time to use them.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Lord_Magmar posted:

I like the idea of getting to fight what would've happened if the Warrior of Light ended up as a Lightwarden. My mental visual is a featureless crystal puppet being controlled by a hand from above via job-stones. With all the job weapons floating around and being gripped when it is time to use them.

Armiger vibes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Anyone have a clear shot of the tip of the Amazing Manderville Spear? It's got some sort of glow (aside from the swirly ribbons) but the way male dragoons hold it I can't get a good angle.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Bruceski posted:

Anyone have a clear shot of the tip of the Amazing Manderville Spear? It's got some sort of glow (aside from the swirly ribbons) but the way male dragoons hold it I can't get a good angle.

Best shots I could get:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Bruceski posted:

The Manderville Weapon Glow/texture is in theory designed based on their job's job gauge. Dunno how that relates to the tip of the spear but that is the idea.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
If you do /cpose while your weapon is drawn, there's a second pose that every Job has that usually looks like more of a pose you'd take while idle, rather than the normal pose where you're still ready for combat. For DRG you hold the spear planted on the ground, nice and steady, as you can see in Ziddar's second screenshot.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Onean posted:

If you do /cpose while your weapon is drawn, there's a second pose that every Job has that usually looks like more of a pose you'd take while idle, rather than the normal pose where you're still ready for combat. For DRG you hold the spear planted on the ground, nice and steady, as you can see in Ziddar's second screenshot.

Keep in mind, though, that sometimes those alternate poses are gendered.

Only men get the 'Shadowbringers Logo' DRK alt-pose where they heft the blade on their shoulder. Women instead plant theirs in the ground, which is pretty rad but sucks for the wide-tipped swords like Woeborn.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

ladies get the cool drk pose but guys get sam's reverse sword grip :negative:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Really enjoying PLD between the skill revamp and combining some animation mods + personal tweaks to make it less Holy Knight and more Spellsword, which is the sort of vibe I've always wanted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9KjQdf-pjs

It's like a whole new job.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Spellsword/Mystic Knight has been one of the Jobs I really want them to add, but I have no real idea for how they'd go about it. RDM is already kinda close to what I'd like, just I'd like it to be imbuing melee attacks all the time instead of as a burst. Since RDM is already pretty close, I'm not sure they find Spellsword/Mystic Knight unique enough to do.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Onean posted:

Spellsword/Mystic Knight has been one of the Jobs I really want them to add, but I have no real idea for how they'd go about it. RDM is already kinda close to what I'd like, just I'd like it to be imbuing melee attacks all the time instead of as a burst. Since RDM is already pretty close, I'm not sure they find Spellsword/Mystic Knight unique enough to do.

Mystic Knight could easily be a more support oriented melee, imbue yourself and allies with elemental energies etc.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

biceps crimes posted:

anyone have tips for gearing a fresh level 90? I hit level cap but didn't do anything at 90 from EW's release until now. My handful of level 90 jobs are all like ilvl 560 and I am locked out of the second dungeon as I'm catching up on patch content. There's level 610 gear on the AH but it's kind of expensive

FWIW, these are the current end game gear sources:

L610: Crafted - Normal raid tokens
L620: Crafted upgraded with Astronomy tomestones - Alliance raid drops - Causality tomestones
L630: Causality tomestones upgraded with tokens from hunts, alliance raid or savage raid - Savage raid drops

For weapons there are additionally

L615: Relic 1 with Astronomy tomestones - Extreme Trial 4 drops
L625: Extreme Trial 5 drops
L630: Relic 2 with Astronomy tomestones
L635: Savage & Ultimate raid drops

The best way to get started is to at least get some 610 crafted gear, even if it is costly. Crafted gear on a fresh max level character is the most efficient way you will ever have to turn gil into character power, so if that's the thing you want to use gil for you should just jump on it. If it's your first L90 you can probably get goon help with at least a crafted weapon, and you can always buy the materials and have someone craft the gear for you. Catgirl Bargains or your prefered goon FC discord should have a bunch of crafters on a server you can visit.

Once you have enough crafted gear to hit ilvl 595 you can run current normal and alliance content and use that to fill in gaps. Use Astronomy tomestones from those to upgrade crafted to 620 and get the relic/Manderville weapons, then use time-limited tomestones and alliance raid drops to get to 630 over time if you wish.

If you need Causality and Astronomy tomestones then the two best methods for obtaining them are hunt trains and daily roulettes once you have the gear to run them. Hunt trains are ... not my favorite activity in the game, but they're a lot of stones for not a lot of work so some people love to use them as their primary source. Your data center will have a hunt discord that organizes trains frequently and they will not care about your gear. Astronomy tomestones are additionally common from running lower level roulettes on a max level character, with 90 dungeon and 5678 dungeon roulettes giving notable amounts.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 20, 2023

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
They've just put out info for the Hatching Tide event.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Onean posted:

I'm terrified at what that orchestrion's name implies we may be getting.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I'm terrified at what that orchestrion's name implies we may be getting.
The song's already been used before, debuted way back in 2018 (and you can hear it whenever you play Egg Hunter Riggy from the Toy Chest in an Inn), we just didn't have an orchestrion roll for it before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ip7V4FJh2Q
Unless you're just afraid of that game returning for an event?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Hogama posted:

The song's already been used before, debuted way back in 2018 (and you can hear it whenever you play Egg Hunter Riggy from the Toy Chest in an Inn), we just didn't have an orchestrion roll for it before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ip7V4FJh2Q
Unless you're just afraid of that game returning for an event?

Oh that's way less interesting, actually. I'm not sure what I was expecting, since... yeah of course it'd be a chiptune with that name.

Maybe I was imagining a comically bad Pa-Paya.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Mystic Knight could easily be a more support oriented melee, imbue yourself and allies with elemental energies etc.

Its a tank in FFXI, which uses elemental buffs on their sword to swap their elemental damage type and resistance (this is actually relevant in FFXI combat). They're basically the ultimate magic damage tank. Obviously wouldn't be a thing in XIV but is a cool take on it.

Unrelated: there's a 24 hour maintenance the first week of April for 6.38 and NA server hardware upgrades (!)

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/b5669e60dafb4535df7aa6bcd0b07b3650f15d24

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Onean posted:

Oh, no! My cabbages!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Onean posted:

I hoped there would be another silly costume as hatching-tide reward, I am not disappointed.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Gonna NG+ the SCH questlines in that costume :getin:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

aers posted:

Its a tank in FFXI, which uses elemental buffs on their sword to swap their elemental damage type and resistance (this is actually relevant in FFXI combat). They're basically the ultimate magic damage tank. Obviously wouldn't be a thing in XIV but is a cool take on it.

Unrelated: there's a 24 hour maintenance the first week of April for 6.38 and NA server hardware upgrades (!)

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/b5669e60dafb4535df7aa6bcd0b07b3650f15d24

Yeah, my thoughts here are on a whole game design standpoint what is missing, and one thing I found conceptually noteworthy is that Machinist kind of lacks natural DPS partners in terms of space. It's a selfish DPS in the role that is usually expected to bring the most benefit to other DPS, and to an extent neither caster nor melee have anything half as reliant on allies for damage as Dancer/Bard. As such I've been considering that there would be value in a melee and caster with the damage profile of Bard/Dancer, where they bring strong buffs for allies rather than a lot of personal damage. Which would help make Machinist a little less awkward as a group thing because suddenly you could have a caster with a lot of group benefits like bard, making Machinist/Black Mage better mirrors.

My caster idea is basically a debuff oriented caster that functions a bit like bard in reverse. Bard buffs allies with long duration songs, this hypothetical caster would have similar boosts, but apply long duration debuffs to enemies to do it (a take more crit damage debuff that lasts as long as a bard song with a follow up direct hit chance up etc debuff). The melee I was thinking would be a bit closer to Dancer/AST in terms of wanting to give buffs to specific players, and I think Mystic Knight could easily have that as a theme.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Lord_Magmar posted:

My caster idea is basically a debuff oriented caster that functions a bit like bard in reverse. Bard buffs allies with long duration songs, this hypothetical caster would have similar boosts, but apply long duration debuffs to enemies to do it (a take more crit damage debuff that lasts as long as a bard song with a follow up direct hit chance up etc debuff). The melee I was thinking would be a bit closer to Dancer/AST in terms of wanting to give buffs to specific players, and I think Mystic Knight could easily have that as a theme.

This is actually pretty similar to what Geomancer is in XI. They are a support class that focuses on area-of-effect spells (one placed on the ground, one on them), and a lot have to do with debuffing monsters. And of course it is terribly broken and imbalanced that first led to every party requiring one, and then making enemies incredibly resistant to the debuffs.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If only there were some kind of system that could allow jobs that are completely broken and fun but somehow make them limited

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

This is kind of a pointless question, but I noticed that the Wolf equipment for sale at the Wolves' Den has HQ variants available (there are even some on the Market Board), but the vendors themselves only have the lovely NQ versions for sale. They're not craftable, so where did these HQ versions come from...?? :iiam:

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

This is kind of a pointless question, but I noticed that the Wolf equipment for sale at the Wolves' Den has HQ variants available (there are even some on the Market Board), but the vendors themselves only have the lovely NQ versions for sale. They're not craftable, so where did these HQ versions come from...?? :iiam:
Likely retainer quick ventures, which can bring back HQ items.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

orcane posted:

Gonna NG+ the SCH questlines in that costume :getin:

I have Opinions™ about anyone who doesn't, tbh.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

They used to be craftable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder if the Tonberry costume is dyeable.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ImpAtom posted:

You can mouse over the items on the event page to see the full tooltips, but yes, it is.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

It is, you can mouse over or click on items on that event page and see item details.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

It also takes some dyes very interestingly, like Pearl White. :v:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

how tonberries be looking at you when you hitem with that dollar store broadsword

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I bet the head will only be dyable in the eyes instead of fun technicolor skin

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So tempted to roll a red Lalafell named Strawberry Jam

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Alxprit posted:

I bet the head will only be dyable in the eyes instead of fun technicolor skin

Kyrosiris posted:

It also takes some dyes very interestingly, like Pearl White. :v:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
This cannot continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

biceps crimes posted:

the quickest and easiest way to get geared up in this game is befriending an omnicrafter. you can probably ask around in the goon fcs or discord servers and find someone willing to make a set for a fresh and still-undergeared 90 character in return for some of the materials required