Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There was a time when Natasha Allegri and Rebecca Sugar seemed poised to just Shonda Rimes all over the place :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
if I had created Steven Universe I think I would be comfortable resting on my creative laurels for a couple five or ten years

maybe not financially comfortable exactly, but hopefully spiritually comfortable?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think she some ties with CN might have been burned towards the end of Steven Universe that might have hampered any new shows there. And Covid would have gotten in the way of development of any new series after SU as well, and then more recently there's been the whole industry-wide dumping of animation projects. It seems like circumstances probably wouldn't have been great for her to be able to launch anything new.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

There was a time when Natasha Allegri and Rebecca Sugar seemed poised to just Shonda Rimes all over the place :(

Speaking of which, do we know if they (or any of the old staff for that matter) are involved with that new Adventure Time show? Assuming Fiona & Cake is even still happening at this point that is

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also The Owl House (and with it a large chunk the Disney Channel’s serialized programming) ends on April 8th:

https://twitter.com/DisneyTVANews/status/1633503594790961154

The date is like that because the person running the account isn’t American

Edit: And here’s confirmation of the above:

https://cabletvt.powerrangermail.net/index.php?topic=6995.0

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 10, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Well, someone kicked open a door in my brain to something I had honestly kinda forgotten:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFGr7V7VT2I

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I also started watching Milo Murphy's Law. It has something which makes me laugh every other episode, and I like the resiliency-related themes. I also started watching Gargoyles, and the first five episodes were like a feature-length movie. It's noticeable how the three comic-relief gargoyles (Broadway, Brooklyn, and Lexington) are animated in the classic Disney style, but there was this movie-like fluidity to it. Lexington was my favorite because of the scene where he tried to ride a motorcycle to find out how the device worked, and his voice actor makes him really sound hurt when he's been betrayed. I had heard about the episode where Broadway accidentally shoots Elisa Maza while playing with a gun, but I was still stunned when it happened, that's like a seventh-and-final season moment right off the bat. Also, Jonathan Frakes as Xanatos is great during all the insincere friendly speeches and when he's laying out his plans to his aide

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 10, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

galenanorth posted:

I also started watching Milo Murphy's Law. It has something which makes me laugh every other episode, and I like the resiliency-related themes. I also started watching Gargoyles, and the first five episodes were like a feature-length movie. It's noticeable how the three comic-relief gargoyles (Broadway, Brooklyn, and Lexington) are animated in the classic Disney style, but there was this movie-like fluidity to it. Lexington was my favorite because of the scene where he tried to ride a motorcycle to find out how the device worked, and his voice actor makes him really sound hurt when he's been betrayed. I had heard about the episode where Broadway accidentally shoots Elisa Maza while playing with a gun, but I was still stunned when it happened, that's like a seventh-and-final season moment right off the bat

Yeah, the Gargoyles opening episodes were packaged as an uncut movie (well, as in 'not chopped into episodes'). I used to have the VHS. I started a rewatch not too long ago and other than Eliza being a cop it all holds up.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, the Gargoyles opening episodes were packaged as an uncut movie (well, as in 'not chopped into episodes'). I used to have the VHS. I started a rewatch not too long ago and other than Eliza being a cop it all holds up.

The VHS also came with a game mat you could play with someone else using instructions, benefits, and penalties recorded onto the end of the tape. Blew my mind as a child.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And it’s confirmed, the final episode of The Owl House will air on April 8th:

https://twitter.com/danaterrace/status/1634114987554922497?s=46&t=ba5Kkp5VQUwSNk2YvlDo6w

As you might expect, Dana is also leaving Disney:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The first episode of Kiff is on YouTube!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx5XjAT9a_o

I didn’t realise that Barry was played by H. Michael Croner!

Seems like a great start.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Ghost & Molly McGee returns next month:

https://cabletvt.powerrangermail.net/index.php/topic,6997.0.html

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Oh hey, that's some good news. Also "next month" is underselling how soon it happens, because the season starts right on Aprils fools day.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

Oh hey, that's some good news. Also "next month" is in less than two weeks, because the season starts right on Aprils fools day.

Yup, and as I already mentioned above The Owl House officially comes to an end just a week later so I consider this a nice consolation prize

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 13, 2023

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Will this supply me with enough Ashly Burch content to keep me going until Burning Shores comes out? We'll see.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kind of curious if we’re going to get a new theme song for Season 2 seeing as the lyrics of the previous one don’t really apply anymore

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Larryb posted:

Kind of curious if we’re going to get a new theme song for Season 2 seeing as the lyrics of the previous one don’t really apply anymore
I've only watched maybe halfway through S1 so I guess I'd better finish up to understand to what this might refer

more songs is always good anyway

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sivart13 posted:

I've only watched maybe halfway through S1 so I guess I'd better finish up to understand to what this might refer

more songs is always good anyway

Yes finish the season, it’s good

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not sure what MasterClass is but this is going to be a thing apparently:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=YnRE67kwp94

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Not sure what MasterClass is but this is going to be a thing apparently:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=YnRE67kwp94

It's basically a private university lecture session on various extremely specific topics for well-off adult intellectual derelicts taught by popular celebrities. Like Stephen Spielberg teaches you how to be a successful director (the secret is nepotism), or Gordon Ramsay teaches you how to not set your kitchen on fire cooking rice, or Aaron Sorkin teaches you how to write a really lovely milquetoast dramady for boomers, or Naomi Campbell teaches you the fundamentals of throwing a phone at someone.

It's a $20/month celebrity video podcast for people going through midlife crises try to and soothe the pain that comes with the realization that they haven't amounted to jack poo poo in their lives.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, and they’re apparently making a Pinky & The Brain segment for it that releases this Friday. Weird but ok

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Trailer for season 2 of The Ghost & Molly McGee just dropped!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfF4QhWq5AM

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

seems good! that trailer VO is the drizzling shits!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wasn’t expecting an episode about Molly getting her period but there’s nothing wrong with that either. S2 is looking good so far and I’m happy to finally have this show back

I assume we’ll be getting a trailer for the Owl House series finale soon as well since it airs the following week

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 16, 2023

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The shots fired are coming from inside the house of mouse

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Larryb posted:

I wasn’t expecting an episode about Molly getting her period but there’s nothing wrong with that either. S2 is looking good so far and I’m happy to finally have this show back

I assume we’ll be getting a trailer for the Owl House series finale soon as well since it airs the following week

I don't think I've seen that trope or plot since King of the Hill.

Imagine Master Shake buying your pads for you.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Molly, it appears the Season 2 opening is exactly the same except they added Libby and Geoff to the hugging scene:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=4ea4qQJ347Y

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

thought you guys might enjoy this stunning big brained take:

https://twitter.com/berserker144/status/1636882869715890179

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

thought you guys might enjoy this stunning big brained take:

https://twitter.com/berserker144/status/1636882869715890179

https://twitter.com/ComicsMeta/status/1637224743232471040

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

how hard can you miss the whole point of that episode

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

what's great is that superman's alleged principled 'apolitical' stance doesn't even last until the end the end of the episode!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
What is the "Lex has tried to have me killed" count by that point in the DCAU?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
TIL that DC has its own Captain Marvel

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

What is the "Lex has tried to have me killed" count by that point in the DCAU?

at least 30 i'd reckon?

Macaluso posted:

yup, and it's no coincidence either. it came about cause of some copyright issue

mystes
May 31, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Captain marvel is the superhero in Shazam they just dropped that name for the movie for obvious reasons

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mystes posted:

Captain marvel is the superhero in Shazam they just dropped that name for the movie for obvious reasons

Not just the movie, in the comics as well for at least a few years before the movie released. I think as part of DC Rebirth or one of the other soft reboots.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Captain Marvel is also hilarious. I loved the gag in the first Shazam movie where Billy is discovering his powers, and at one point his friend convinces him that he's invisible, and then in the notes showing the tests they've been doing like super strength and speed, he adds "Secret test: Super intelligence. He does not have that."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

Well they dropped it after DC's 2011 reboot/rebranding of its comics. They'd had Captain Marvel for a long time but due to legal issues with Marvel (and I think some other long-dead comics company with their own Captain Marvel before them) they hadn't been able to actually put the words "Captain Marvel" as a title to any of the guy's comics for decades which, as you'd think, led to both poor sales and poor brand recognition.

So eventually they threw up their hands (I'm sure that planning to eventually make a movie definitely pushed that along too) and said "gently caress it we're just gonna call him Shazam" (since his comics were usually called "The Power of Shazam" or some variation thereof) after the reboot.

The history of DC's Captain Marvel Shazam is really interesting, like the fact that he belonged to yet another comic company that was a competitor to DC way back in the 40s/50s (even -gasp- beating Superman in sales sometimes!) so DC just outright bought the publishers.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 20, 2023

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Superman/Captain Marvel/Miracleman is the wildest fuckin ride, particularly the latter of the three

There’s a lot of longform YouTube videos on how the hell this whole mess exists, and I think you could do a rundown on the legal matters of Shazam in like 10 minutes, but as soon as you add Miracleman into the equation everything goes fuckin wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Marvel's Captain Marvel was made for the sole reason of trying to have greater claim to the Marvel name and copyright, and the Marvel comics character was never very popular, which was why he was killed off and replaced a couple times (kind of one of the only "legacy" Marvel characters even, usually that's more of a DC concept) before finally the name going to an offshoot copyright-purposes character who had developed into a more interesting character, possibly because of not having to bear responsibility for the entire company's brand.

Fawcett Comics Captain Marvel had a good run in his day, and was dealt a major blow by a copyright infringement lawsuit, but it was actually DC Comics (then known as National Comics) that took him down, since they argued that he had been copying Superman. Then there was a whole downturn for comics in general, Marvel took the copyright, but DC bought the remains of the company and integrated what was left into their new continuity. I think DC katamari'd a lot of early comicbook companies, but it's hard to keep track of because there's a lot of company names and a lot of different types of mergers.

There was also a whole thing where while Captain Marvel says Shazam to transform because it's both the name of the wizard that gave him his powers (and also an acronym), one of his associated supporting cast was Captain Marvel Junior who says "Captain Marvel" to transform because he gets his powers from Captain Marvel. The Brave and the Bold cartoon got into some of the classic Captain Marvel stuff.