Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I didn't even consider that my siblings booked this trip during FL spring break (we're coming from NY and our public school spring break doesn't start until April 6th). What a buncha jamokes!

Thanks for the tips, guys - I'll fix to get those apps for Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios even if it's just for the hell of it. I'm sure I'll have a good time just seeing cool stuff and seeing my niece and nephews freak out at all the Disney stuff regardless!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh it’s not Florida spring break that does it. Most of Florida actually has theirs this upcoming week, and Orange/Osceola where Disney is just ended.

It’s because from about week 2 of March through April somewhere in the world has spring break, and thousands of people decide to go to Disney during it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I know it is not cheap but my wife got some pictures of me grinning like a little kid building a lightsaber. It was really cool, and totally worth the money.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You know it's spring break because all the walmarts near disney moved the merch back like it's black friday to make room for long lines.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

kensei posted:

I know it is not cheap but my wife got some pictures of me grinning like a little kid building a lightsaber. It was really cool, and totally worth the money.

If I didn’t already have one of the expensive ForceFX lightsabers (my guitarist gave it to me), I’d probably spend the money, but the fact that it’s “cosplay” good and not “can whack my friends with it when we’re drunk” good makes the decision for me. I’m splitting the difference and making a toy one at the workshop at Star Tours for like $40.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah the expensive ones use LEDs inside the blade too, so they're not just cheap plastic tubes. If you break one that's $50-60.

The Tron ride will be available next week (starts today as a soft opening), so you may want to look into the virtual queue for that on your MK day. There's a VQ button right on the frontpage of the MDE app. What you do is wake up a few minutes before 7am, press that VQ button and refresh the poo poo out of the page until you hopefully get one. If the rest of your party for the day are your friends on the app you can queue all of them with you. The party creation opens a little before 7 so that it doesn't slow you down from trying to get a spot.

Guardians has always been pretty easy but that's because it's in Epcot, not Magic Kingdom. There's a second try at 1pm too, but if you got a slot at 7 you can't get a second.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 20, 2023

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah the expensive ones use LEDs inside the blade too, so they're not just cheap plastic tubes. If you break one that's $50-60.

The Tron ride will be available next week (starts today as a soft opening), so you may want to look into the virtual queue for that on your MK day. There's a VQ button right on the frontpage of the MDE app. What you do is wake up a few minutes before 7am, press that VQ button and refresh the poo poo out of the page until you hopefully get one. If the rest of your party for the day are your friends on the app you can queue all of them with you. The party creation opens a little before 7 so that it doesn't slow you down from trying to get a spot.

Guardians has always been pretty easy but that's because it's in Epcot, not Magic Kingdom. There's a second try at 1pm too, but if you got a slot at 7 you can't get a second.

Oh, that's right -- my brother mentioned they'd be running Tron. Well, if I can get on it, all the better! I always loved Tomorrowland and Frontierland the most.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just make sure you're on that app. VQ rides don't accept standby at all, though they do sell ILL for them.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Check out Oga's if you can if you're a big Star Wars fan. The drinks are alright, but atmosphere is great. You can make reservations if they are available, otherwise try putting your name on standby list

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I don’t know who told you any of that about the sabers but they’re every bit as durable as the ForceFX. Absolutely worth the money to be able to customize your own, and they just came out with a bunch of new style options recently.

Or is the point that you want a cheap plastic one to fool around with.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Hazo posted:

I don’t know who told you any of that about the sabers but they’re every bit as durable as the ForceFX. Absolutely worth the money to be able to customize your own, and they just came out with a bunch of new style options recently.

Or is the point that you want a cheap plastic one to fool around with.

Honestly, I don't feel safe playing with the ForceFX one either! I've heard of a bunch of people breaking the early ones (of which I have one, the Luke ROTJ one).

I might split the difference and get a Dok Ondar hilt.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those don't come with a blade (except in the boxed bundles) so the price actually ends up being comparable.

Unless you're buying one of the ~4 that are on sale currently.

That said, getting a Savi's spot during spring break a week before may actually be impossible anyway.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Honestly, I don't feel safe playing with the ForceFX one either! I've heard of a bunch of people breaking the early ones (of which I have one, the Luke ROTJ one).

I might split the difference and get a Dok Ondar hilt.

So, a lot of the Dok Ondar hilts have Force FX Elite counterparts that are similarly priced, but usually the FX Elite are better.

Some of them don’t have counterparts or are otherwise unavailable. Just do your research.

Speaking of, the RotJ Luke just got an FX Elite released/is releasing in the next few weeks. I’m planning to upgrade my Dok Ondar RotJ saber for the FX Elite ASAP.

TBC Force FX and Force FX Elite are different with the Elites being the new, better line.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Yeah some of FX Elite (aka Black Series) are miles better than the Dok's version (like Rey's) but $50-$100 more expensive, and some (Leia's) are worse in some less-noticeable ways. You can find comparison videos for probably all of them if you have your eye on a specific hilt you want.

But if not, all the more reason to try for Savi's and make your own! Plus, unlike the older FX sabers, the blade is replaceable if you break it.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 22, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The whole FX Elite line has better electronics with more effects. The original Force FX are comparable to Disney feature wise.

The MSRP of FX Elite is actually like $275 though because of that, so Disney is significantly cheaper if you don't get a sale price. Even more so once you have a universal blade for the hilts.

The Legacy Leia really sucks though, what makes the FX Elite worse?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Yeah the electronics package and ignition effects are better, but I was more talking about how the blades are the same material and durability.

The Disney Leia has a mother-of-pearl kind of inlay between the grips, while the Black Series just has a matte white. You can kid of see it in the side by side below. It's a small detail, but it made enough of a difference where my wife liked it better, since all it's gonna do is sit on display.

edit: I'm a moron and forgot to include the image. See below.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 23, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The inlay on the Disney is known for peeling and curling.

If you catch it early you can glue it back down so it won’t develop though.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Ok, So. I've been to Disney with my family probably a dozen times since 2011. But, the last time we went was in 2019. Everything has changed and I'm having a hard time figuring this poo poo out. Dining reservations I'm fine with, same 60 day window etc. So couple of questions since it's been a while for us...

Park reservations: This one I get, make one for each day. I will make them in advance of course, but can they be changed? Say we have MK on a Wednesday night, and decide Tuesday night we want HS instead, as long as it's available I can modify that reservation correct?

Hopping: After 2pm still correct? What if, the day we are driving down, we arrive around 2pm, check in, and decide to go to Epcot (staying at Boardwalk so Epcot is highly likely that day). Do I need a reservation for that day for Epcot or can we just walk in after 2pm and not worry about it?

Genie+: Worth it? Do you buy it in advance say, when you make park reservations? Lightning Lane I understand, and it is only a handful of rides.

Magic Bands: Not free anymore but I'm hearing they are worth it because they make it easier to get around, room key access, etc.

Thanks in advance, sorry if this is dumb poo poo to ask but I tend to value to opinions of the Disney folks on here more than mining poo poo of the internet.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Douchebag posted:

Ok, So. I've been to Disney with my family probably a dozen times since 2011. But, the last time we went was in 2019. Everything has changed and I'm having a hard time figuring this poo poo out. Dining reservations I'm fine with, same 60 day window etc. So couple of questions since it's been a while for us...

Park reservations: This one I get, make one for each day. I will make them in advance of course, but can they be changed? Say we have MK on a Wednesday night, and decide Tuesday night we want HS instead, as long as it's available I can modify that reservation correct?

Hopping: After 2pm still correct? What if, the day we are driving down, we arrive around 2pm, check in, and decide to go to Epcot (staying at Boardwalk so Epcot is highly likely that day). Do I need a reservation for that day for Epcot or can we just walk in after 2pm and not worry about it?

Genie+: Worth it? Do you buy it in advance say, when you make park reservations? Lightning Lane I understand, and it is only a handful of rides.

Magic Bands: Not free anymore but I'm hearing they are worth it because they make it easier to get around, room key access, etc.

Thanks in advance, sorry if this is dumb poo poo to ask but I tend to value to opinions of the Disney folks on here more than mining poo poo of the internet.

Park rez: yes they can be changed so long as there is availability for the park you're changing to.

Hopping: No you need a reservation for the day. If you are going into the park, you need a reservation. It's stupid.

Genie+: Not for me but I'm a broken sack of poo poo and get DAS.

MB: I like magicbands if I'm staying on property, which you are. Poking my wrist against my door is a lot easier when handling my service dog than having to gently caress around with a card key and whatnot.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Hopping: you need to make a reservation at *some* park and physically enter that park first before you can hop to another park after 2. The second park needs no reservation.

Bands: unnecessary if you have an iPhone and the Disney app installed, you can set up your ticket as (basically) a transit pass in Wallet. Extra super convenient if you have an Apple Watch. I assume it’s the same for Android but don’t really know.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Douchebag posted:

In order:

You need to delete and re-book, you can't change. This does result in some dice-rolling so be sure you want to risk it rather than just wait until 2PM and hop.

Make one for Epcot. You're correct about hopping, but you will need a reseveration for some park which you check into before hopping to Epcot. Also make sure you've got park hopper tickets.

I don't think it's worth it, but YMMV depending on group size etc.

They're also fun. The ones that were free were basic colours, so head into Creations when you get into Epcot and buy a character one or whatever. If you want to play the Bounty Hunting game in DHS get a Magic Band+, which will cost more.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You actually can change now. They added that recently.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Yeah, I was able to modify a park reservation, but when you do it it can be confusing if you've got reservations for other days. I was trying to swap my Wednesday and Thursday reservations, but when I went in to modify Wednesday it showed no availability at all on Thursday because I already had a Thursday reservation. The page gave no indication other than saying there were no park reservations available that day

It made sense in hindsight, but not so much when I was freaking out about there being no availability 60 days ahead of time for what is supposed to be a "relatively" quiet time at the parks

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh, in that case disregard that portion of my advice so.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Aphrodite posted:

The inlay on the Disney is known for peeling and curling.

If you catch it early you can glue it back down so it won’t develop though.

Yeah it sucks. It's pretty though :shrug: And I forgot the image:

Hazo fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 23, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1639013699569745921?s=20

Some good news. Also includes retroactive pay going back to October and raiser for housekeeping culinary and bus drivers up to $24.60 immediately and $28.60 by 2026.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm kind of shocked they didn't just meet Universal at $17. But also, it is deserved - Disney cast members are held to a higher standard and much more is expected of them than Universal team members, so an extra dollar is honestly... a start.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
***By no means do I think this is a bad thing*** It is very much deserved! Disney cast members are fantastic.

I wonder when Disney will raise prices again to compensate. I suppose they're always raising prices, so we might not even notice. They may have even begun raising prices as high as they have in the last few months in preparation for this.

Again, I think this is a huge net positive overall and I'm super happy for all cast members! I don't mind paying Disney prices or more if it means these people can actually make a living wage.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nanigans posted:

I wonder when Disney will raise prices again to compensate.

don't fall for this trap

quote:

I suppose they're always raising prices, so we might not even notice.

Bingo. They were going to raise prices anyways, now they just have a nice scapegoat ;)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I know it’s Florida but god drat I cannot even imagine making $18 an hour.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

RCarr posted:

now imagine that being a significant upgrade

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Iger has said he thinks prices spiked too much but whether that’s just words remains to be seen.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Our annual pass price didn’t go up at all this year. One of the very few things i can say that about.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Aphrodite posted:

Iger has said he thinks prices spiked too much but whether that’s just words remains to be seen.

Iger also understands that you can’t keep jacking up the price without adding value, and the design pipeline came to a screeching halt during Covid. Yes, they’re still building projects, but those were planned and budgeted for long before the pandemic. I suspect we are going to see a multi year lull in construction because from my understanding they greenlit nothing until they were allowed to reopen.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
They've also been raising the price to try and combat the parks being overcrowded, and, well, that completely failed and people never stopped coming.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

They've also been raising the price to try and combat the parks being overcrowded

They raise the prices to make more money. That's it!

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Bottom Liner posted:

And also because they know there’s enough people willing to pay it

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

They charge more on days they anticipate being more crowded to try and negate some overcrowding with the higher prices compensating for those who chose not to go because of them.

But it doesn't work. The parks these days are jam packed 90% of the time.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Covid changed a whole bunch of behaviors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word

RCarr posted:

Florida nothing, it's expensive to live in Orlando, median rent is still $1520 so that's half of their pay before taxes.