Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Lord Bob posted:

I'm not sure if drag-dropping it into applications would work - but the way to add an application to the applications menu is to create a .desktop file for it in ~/.local/share/applications.

I'd wager there's a nice gui for making those somewhere, but I'm not sure where - and there's no special magic to .desktop files, it's just a text file with some names and paths in it that if you can't find a right click menu or something to add one for you, you can just write it yourself:

https://askubuntu.com/a/907572

The fun thing about trying to learn how to do anything on linux is that it's all just text files, and there's no single unifying GUI implementation like on windows, so a lot of instructions just fall back to "just make a text file and put it here".

"KDE Menu Editor" is… a menu editor. It makes .desktop files. It ships with KDE Plasma.

The files it generates aren't as pretty as hand-written ones with multiple languages and whatnot, but they work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I updated a bunch of stuff that I was prompted to update in desktop mode and it hosed up all my tools, proton badges, etc. Was there some kind of update to something that changed the way stuff works in the last month or two?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Has anyone tried Dungeonmans on the deck? It's 'unsupported' but there's a review from someone saying it runs great.

rosenritter
Feb 22, 2014
For those of you with no plans to take the Deck apart, how did you decide which model to get?
Considering getting the 256gb model and maybe get a larger SD card if I need to, later on.
I'm mostly just planning on emulating games and playing some older stuff that my friends keep recommending me - like Twilight Princess or the Tellius Fire Emblem games.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Since I had

rosenritter posted:

no plans to take the Deck apart
, I got the biggest one. Still got a bigass SD card, because filling up 512gb is honestly not hard.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

rosenritter posted:

For those of you with no plans to take the Deck apart, how did you decide which model to get?
Considering getting the 256gb model and maybe get a larger SD card if I need to, later on.
I'm mostly just planning on emulating games and playing some older stuff that my friends keep recommending me - like Twilight Princess or the Tellius Fire Emblem games.

If you are really anti-disassembly, buy the biggest deck you can afford.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

I updated a bunch of stuff that I was prompted to update in desktop mode and it hosed up all my tools, proton badges, etc. Was there some kind of update to something that changed the way stuff works in the last month or two?

might have been a system update, rerun the Decky install command and all of that should come back

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

rosenritter posted:

I also had no plans to disassemble mine, but I keep bumping up against the 512 limit rather easily, so I will probably buy the 2TB whenever that's in stock (I'd buy a 4TB if it was $300 instead but that may come out when we got the steam deck 2)

Now, I'm half tempted to see if there are any custom resin? A/B/X/Y buttons in other colors of symbols too...

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I have a 256 model with a 1tb microsd and really I don't need anymore space.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lord Lambeth posted:

My situation exactly

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The 512gb mSD card is exclusively for roms. It's got about 100gb free I could put more on, quite easily

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

Me too even with a lot of emulator stuff.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

rosenritter posted:

If emulation is going to be your primary use case, you could easily go with a 64GB Deck and a 512GB or 1TB SD card, you can completely avoid installing anything on the internal storage with emulation.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I thought the 512 I bought would be overkill - I don't have a very large Steam library compared to some folks - but when I tried installing everything I owned on the Deck I hit that storage limit surprisingly quickly. Nowadays I just keep a few games - one bigger "current project" and a couple of smaller "pick up and play" games - on the SSD and move anything I'm not actively playing, such as games I've beaten but aren't completely done with, to a 512GB SD card. I have another 512 for non-Steam games and emulation, and an old 256GB that used to be in my Switch that I'm not entirely sure what I want to do with at this junction.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Commander Keene posted:

- but when I tried installing everything I owned on the Deck I hit that storage limit surprisingly quickly.

uh. yeah.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Did anyone try Diablo 4 on their deck?

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

Anybody tried grim dawn on deck? I have not but it's a great game.

yea, it controlled surprisingly well.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

rosenritter posted:

I went 64GB + 512GB MicroSD and don't regret anything.

If you mostly play older games, I think you'd be fine with that configuration. The vast majority of the games I keep installed on this thing are either from the 90's or small indie stuff inspired by that era of gaming. Even the 512GB MicroSD is overkill for me, honestly.

The big argument against the 64GB model is that this space fills up quickly with the shader cache. This hasn't been an issue for me with my usage and even if it was, there's a very simple script out there which clears this to create space. I'm not even sure if shader caching is a thing at all for Emulation or using EmuDeck? The shader cache does fill up quickly if you are loading up your Deck with big modern AAA stuff, but that might not align with your usage.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Bumhead posted:

I'm not even sure if shader caching is a thing at all for Emulation or using EmuDeck? The shader cache does fill up quickly if you are loading up your Deck with big modern AAA stuff, but that might not align with your usage.
Shader caching doesn't happen with non-Steam games/apps at all, AFAIK. Emulators, GOG and Epic games, random poo poo you install on there for kicks, none of it. This means no clutter on your internal storage and you won't have downloads for half your games every time you turn the Deck on, but also that in games that actually use shaders you may get the compilation stutter that the caching is supposed to prevent. Emulators for the most part don't use shaders, though retroarch does have them for stuff like accurate screen emulation, if you want your SNES games to look like you're playing them on a CRT from 1987. And games for more modern consoles will have shaders; I've personally encountered it on CEMU with Wii U games, for example. But the shaders for emulators go where you install the emulator, which can be on SD cards.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

rosenritter posted:

256 + 1tb microSD card. Seeing the microsd speeds in practice I will not be opening it. I'm playing current games on it. Do not open your Deck! People are doing it because they can, but it's a solution to nonexistent problem.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What's the best way to play morrowind on Deck at the moment? does openMW run better than just the native game? Any way to get controller support on openMW?

Welsh Rarebitch
Jun 5, 2011

Welsh Rarebitch posted:

Yes, I'd like to use an actual (wireless) mouse for aiming and just use the left side gamepad inputs for WASD.

Anyone know this? Would this work universally with FPS? I'm on the fence buying this thing.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

MarcusSA posted:

Did anyone try Diablo 4 on their deck?

I posted on Saturday but in short, it’s not bad. It has the stutter on the overworld that everyone seems to be getting but in a dungeon it was pretty happy at 50fps with FSR on. I’ll be going on a trip around the time it comes out so having the deck as an option is going to be nice.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Thanks to whoever posted about boneraiser minions- so far its fab and way more appealing than vampire survivors.

The main thing that put me off VS is that it feels so janky (comes from being a javascript game i guess) and looks so poo poo. Like for a game that made so much money it still looks loving awful.

Boneraiser feels much more like a game with systems that interlock, rather than just a broken builds test chamber.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Science_enthusiast posted:

Thanks to whoever posted about boneraiser minions- so far its fab and way more appealing than vampire survivors.

The main thing that put me off VS is that it feels so janky (comes from being a javascript game i guess) and looks so poo poo. Like for a game that made so much money it still looks loving awful.

Boneraiser feels much more like a game with systems that interlock, rather than just a broken builds test chamber.

I didn't like Magic Survival for this same reason. "Ooh, a bunch of silhouettes fighting each other..."

Honestly, the art style (and it being better than MS overall) is what turned me on to VS. I absolutely adore the 8 and 16 bit Castlevania games, so this feels like some sort of officially sanctioned fan game, and I truly don't understand how Konami hasn't even attempted to sue. I mean, some of these sprites...

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

There's a 10% sale for the deck, I have family in America. It isn't available in South East Asia.

This idea was abandoned after I posted, I went on Facebook and found a guy selling a 64gb with a 1tb lite on ssd for a surprising price and jumped on it. And now I have a steam deck. I have played an hour of yakuza 0 on it already and I am slightly in awe of how well it performs.

I'm considering reformatting then dual booting it with a steam and Windows setup, so it is easier for me to play indie stuff like streets of rage remake, itch games or just stuff where only a zip can be found on some obscure chinese bbs a decade ago. I assume this is a good starting point?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEpcBWX9K_o

I may also get emu deck, which I know hardly anything about, on it and see if I can finally play super Mario galaxy 2, connect a ps4 controller, and be a child again

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Honestly, the art style (and it being better than MS overall) is what turned me on to VS. I absolutely adore the 8 and 16 bit Castlevania games, so this feels like some sort of officially sanctioned fan game, and I truly don't understand how Konami hasn't even attempted to sue. I mean, some of these sprites...

A lot of them got changed as development progressed so I'm assuming that there were a few that were either direct lifts from Castlevania games or too close for comfort.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
This is a shot in the dark, but if anyone upgraded from 256/512 and wants to sell the original SSD for $20/$40 I'll buy it. I posted an SA Mart thread to make it official, and for other people to buy/sell since there are probably going to be a lot of new Steam Deck owners in the next few weeks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Party Boat posted:

A lot of them got changed as development progressed so I'm assuming that there were a few that were either direct lifts from Castlevania games or too close for comfort.

That's crazy to me that the stuff left over is what made it through.

I mean, the swamp men from CV3 and bone pillars, with two heads facing opposite directions... Like.... Those are loving CV enemies. It's not like the bats, 'hey, bats are common iconography, it could be any bat' etc etc.

I don't know, are bone pillars with two animal skulls facing different directions a common monster found in classic horror? Hmmm?

Anyway, I'm glad for it, but it is not subtle whatsoever. I honestly think that maybe Konami just either missed it or doesn't care.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm considering reformatting then dual booting it with a steam and Windows setup, so it is easier for me to play indie stuff like streets of rage remake, itch games or just stuff where only a zip can be found on some obscure chinese bbs a decade ago. I assume this is a good starting point?
In my experience, you can easily run all of that stuff without Windows. You just need to use the desktop mode to download the game, run the installer as a non-steam game with proton enabled (in properties -> compatibility), then remove that installer and add the installed executable as a non-steam game with proton.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I ordered the 512gb version cause gently caress it, I got really tired of watching my face on the Switch. I know, I'm paying a premium for what could be fixed by installing my own ssd and putting a screen protector on. I just need to have it now.

How much of a hassle is installing Forza Motorsport 7 on the Deck? I have it on MS Store and it apparently runs really well on the deck, I'm kinda excited to give it a go.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I managed to bag a brand new 512GB WD SSD for £55, and at that price I'd have been insane not to just upgrade myself, but I did have to wait a couple of weeks as it was on back order.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ledenko posted:

I ordered the 512gb version cause gently caress it, I got really tired of watching my face on the Switch. I know, I'm paying a premium for what could be fixed by installing my own ssd and putting a screen protector on. I just need to have it now.

How much of a hassle is installing Forza Motorsport 7 on the Deck? I have it on MS Store and it apparently runs really well on the deck, I'm kinda excited to give it a go.

MS Store applications are Universal Windows Programs (uwp) and will not work under Linux.

You can run windows 10/11 off an SD card and play it that way

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Ledenko posted:

I have the steam version of Forza Horizon 4 and it works absolutely fine without any issues. Been zooming around a way too sunny Britain in a pink lotus crashing into trees.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
what vibrantdeck settings do people like?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

VideoGames posted:

I have the steam version of Forza Horizon 4 and it works absolutely fine without any issues. Been zooming around a way too sunny Britain in a pink lotus crashing into trees.

Does Forza Horizon 4 (or any of them) allow for the ridiculously detailed car customization that Forza 4 (ie, the non-horizon game) did?

I only had that game briefly, but godDAMN that was perfect. It set a standard in my mind.

Edit: ohhhhh my god... This answered my question...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTuhzfTIzqI

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 20, 2023

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Does Forza Horizon 4 (or any of them) allow for the ridiculously detailed car customization that Forza 4 (ie, the non-horizon game) did?

I only had that game briefly, but godDAMN that was perfect. It set a standard in my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTuhzfTIzqI

No clue! It is my first horizon. I do not often play driving games other than burnout but someone said the horizon series was a little like burnout and I thought my steam deck could do with a driving game.

I am currently racing in a pink lotus with black swishes alongside the sides and my call sign is Treacle :) The pulse radio station is very good for driving too. Plus both Horizon 4 and 5 are on sale so it was a no brainer to give 4 a try.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I sing a certain song whenever I take my van out

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

I sing a certain song whenever I take my van out

Holy poo poo.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

In my experience, you can easily run all of that stuff without Windows. You just need to use the desktop mode to download the game, run the installer as a non-steam game with proton enabled (in properties -> compatibility), then remove that installer and add the installed executable as a non-steam game with proton.

Ohh I didn't know about that, let me try that out before I do something more drastic like what I planned. Just played pizza tower on the deck and it's like a dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

MS Store applications are Universal Windows Programs (uwp) and will not work under Linux.

You can run windows 10/11 off an SD card and play it that way

drat, I was considering buying ff15 pocket but that's a uwp. I'm not installing windows so that sucks

Commander Keene posted:

but when I tried installing everything I owned on the Deck I hit that storage limit surprisingly quickly.

I don't even have to try, especially when half the games I want to play are 100gb a pop :\

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 20, 2023