Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
France bailing out banks while raising the retirement age is :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

the cool thing about credit scores is they only matter if you want to take on debt, usually to buy a house. houses are unaffordable now, so i have no future use for a credit score. well played capitalists.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm about to buy a house, but I am buying down interest points so I get lower rates, and having the seller pay for it up front as a seller's concession since the market sucks. I'll pay 2% less for the first year, 1% less for the second. Hopefully by then, we can refinance to a lower rate permanently

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

blue squares posted:

I'm about to buy a house, but I am buying down interest points so I get lower rates, and having the seller pay for it up front as a seller's concession since the market sucks. I'll pay 2% less for the first year, 1% less for the second. Hopefully by then, we can refinance to a lower rate permanently

I have it on good authority that rates will go down

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

blue squares posted:

You can select the years you want to buy points for? The hopium is baked in to the whole system.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/samthielman/status/1637120878956650496

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

seems like a bad idea to buy a house right now

unless your some giant realtor company thats renting them out for like 3 times the rent

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

HallelujahLee posted:

im continuing to pay for my landlord's mortgage like a good serf

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

err posted:

im continuing to pay for my landlord's mortgage like a good serf

speaking of renting the rents around here went up from an average of $900-1000 a month to easily over $2100 a month

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

HallelujahLee posted:

speaking of renting the rents around here went up from an average of $900-1000 a month to easily over $2100 a month

that’s good for GDP

also you should be having lots of kids

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Goldman angling to litigate for the CS AT1 bonds

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/L_insoumission/status/1637761422225448961

why doesnt macron simply legislate these people back to work?

https://twitter.com/AnonymeCitoyen/status/1637696933165662212

RealityWarCriminal has issued a correction as of 13:41 on Mar 20, 2023

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

This could be fun. It’s a big market and a big pool of nuked bonds, paying lawyers for a better shot at the $17 billion side of an all or nothing bet is a slam dunk.

Although I guess the complaint is less that they went to zero and more that they didn’t bleed equity to zero first; the whole point of AT1/CoCos is to eat poo poo if a bank gets bailed out I think?

Anxiously awaiting the Matt Levine 3 volume series

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

err posted:

The Fed specifically said they would not cut rates in 2023, but the market is addicted to free money.

Is there such a thing as a Market/Finance Capital Strike?

If they know the DOW is the only think Biden has to point to, as others have said ITT, couldn't they basically just hold out for what they want knowing that's the only kind of pressure that politicians care about anyway?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i hope jupiter gets owned

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

The market should price in 0% rates by December and dare Jpow to not do it

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Frosted Flake posted:

you mean like inflation? where the price of oil skyrocketed in 2022 due to "the war in the ukraine" but now the midterm elections are over and the war is still going and prices have come down

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

How often does the fed rate even end up as a surprise compared to the futures. Maybe Jpow just does whatever the futures tell him to. Bring the futures down to 0

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Frosted Flake posted:

Yes, look at what the bond market did to Liz Truss's government.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Woke Mind Virus posted:

How often does the fed rate even end up as a surprise compared to the futures. Maybe Jpow just does whatever the futures tell him to. Bring the futures down to 0

It definitely happens. Markets were "surprised" by the ECB doing its 0.5% hike last week, priced in probability of that was very low.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Nothus posted:

Yes, look at what the bond market did to Liz Truss's government.

this will be a great historical lesson to point to for decades

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

34 minutes to a good day, maybe. I dunno. Continue to gaze longingly at N.U.M.B.E.R. while the techbro anthem plays. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgJZZkxne5Q

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
why is the euro stocks and the futures green

i wanted them to be red

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

fanfic insert posted:

why is the euro stocks and the futures green

i wanted them to be red

The day hasn't even started for the US. Jeez. As that Saudi minister and Janet Yellen knows first hand, someone phrases something wrong and people could get spooked and do all the things you degenerates are rooting for.

I suspect European markets are more optimistic than before that somehow the UBS/CS merger will help keep the financial system stable.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

HallelujahLee posted:

unless your some giant realtor company thats renting them out for like 3 times the rent

My sister just bought a house with her realtor boyfriend and they're apparently stretched very thin. Also his job isn't doing quite as well as last year for some reason??

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Beached Whale posted:

My sister just bought a house with her realtor boyfriend and they're apparently stretched very thin. Also his job isn't doing quite as well as last year for some reason??

its all very mysterious and surprising

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Eric Cantonese posted:

The day hasn't even started for the US. Jeez. As that Saudi minister and Janet Yellen knows first hand, someone phrases something wrong and people could get spooked and do all the things you degenerates are rooting for.

I suspect European markets are more optimistic than before that somehow the UBS/CS merger will help keep the financial system stable.

poo poo was red when the European markets opened, and now people have decided UBS was good value. Hate it

Even Vix is down from 28 to 26

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Court today in 2.5 hours!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Beached Whale posted:

realtor boyfriend

Well there's your problem.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

FlapYoJacks posted:

good luck

hopefully you wont need it

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

yessss

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

Beached Whale posted:

Just a teensy tiny gully.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FlapYoJacks posted:

Good luk!

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

:f5:

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjVmeKWOsEU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

FlapYoJacks posted:

:munch:

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

poo poo was red when the European markets opened, and now people have decided UBS was good value. Hate it

Even Vix is down from 28 to 26

their very stupid op these are some of the dumbest turds on this planet

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Xaris posted:

there's pretty much no to little historic precedent for a city being instantly shutoff. all those famed abandoned cities like Angkor, Mesa Verde, or Sumarian empire and stuff, being snuffed out in an instant doesn't happen. it's just slowly ratcheted downward one problem at a time until hundreds of years later, there's no one except a small handful of people living there. the closest you probably would find is something like serbian war and even then that was still slow and still receiving supplies.

there's an interesting paper on Angkor Wat in particular that came out recently: https://www.pnas.org/doi/epdf/10.1073/pnas.1821879116

that said, we're in very interesting times because of how absolutely dependent we are on modern mega-agriculture fueled by immense unholy amounts of fossil fuels to keep it going. there's no naturally fertile land anymore, very few places with natural consistent irrigation, there's almost no large animals and sea life to hunt anymore, and the amount of land (and labor) it takes to grow food without fossil fuels is loving massive. people hugely misunderestimate how much land is needed to grow enough food for even a family, let alone 100s of people. and, always one disaster away from starving.

but likewise it's not as if our grotesque addiction to oil will shutoff overnight either. instead it'll be ratcheted downward, unwillingly, one disaster at a time.

yep.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Xaris posted:

e: i suppose stated another way: there's a weird artificial floor on used car prices of like ~7k-10k no matter how old or dogshit beat up they are
because that’s the floor used dealers set. it’s obvious and nakedly bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

UBS is great value because they paid 0.75/share for something that was gonna be 0.00 next week