Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

CPColin posted:

Again, who cares. It's all poo poo. Work sucks; do whatever lets you sleep at night.

One of my least favorite interviews was when a guy took me to lunch and alternated between asking me questions and imploring me to eat when I kept putting down my utensils so I wouldn't be tempted to talk with my mouth full lol

oh god, valve did that to me. lunch at the nice steak place next door, 3 interviewers alternating between questions and encouraging to eat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
What the hell, free lunches though I never turn them down

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

dioxazine posted:

technically, i'm not. as i just received an offer a few hours ago, but cheers for continuing to make assumptions and trying to foreshadow my future employment prospects

i really appreciate you being aggressively condescending towards me over something that doesn't affect you in the least

i'd like to de-escalate and move on, so would you please agree to disagree?

If you weren’t really being a jerk, then no harm no foul. But if there’s a chance your counterpart left the meeting feeling lectured to then I would recommend… not doing that in the future. Somebody that feels lectured to is going to feel belittled. Can’t have people leaving meetings feeling belittled.

Congrats on the offer.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

god, are y'all honest in exit interviews too?? really give them some stuff to think about?
sometimes it feels good to get an annoyance off your chest

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

JawnV6 posted:

god, are y'all honest in exit interviews too?? really give them some stuff to think about?

protip: don't ever do this

If you have grievances to air, don't tell them to HR. I guarantee that the HR drone does not give two shits about anything you say. Your words will be written down, and are either forgotten or become a liability for you. Maybe you can communicate mild disapproval of upper management or strategic direction, but don't take it any farther.

Instead, reach out to your boss (or skip-level) in a 1:1 and clear the air that way. Talk with somebody in your chain-of-command that you don't hate. Maybe do it outside of a work context if you can, or at least outside of an HR context if you can't. Don't connect it to your offboarding process. Otherwise, you'll only succeed in punishing them for listening to you.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 17, 2023

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
a fun-but-foolish thing i did in an exit interview was when i got asked “what do you think of [company]’s feedback culture” and i said “[company] doesn’t have any particular ‘feedback culture’, HR just talks that way to feel useful” and the low-level HR flunky looked kind of sad and said “…yeah…”

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Poopernickel posted:

If you have grievances to air, don't tell them to HR. I guarantee that the HR drone does not give two shits about anything you say. Your words will be written down, and are either forgotten or become a liability for you. Maybe you can communicate mild disapproval of upper management or strategic direction, but don't take it any farther.

Instead, reach out to your boss (or skip-level) in a 1:1 and clear the air that way. Talk with somebody in your chain-of-command that you don't hate. Maybe do it outside of a work context if you can, or at least outside of an HR context if you can't. Don't connect it to your offboarding process. Otherwise, you'll only succeed in punishing them for listening to you.

my entire chain of command turned into garbage so i left because it was unfixable

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

Don’t do this, either. You don’t get paid for giving the company you are leaving great advice. gently caress 'em.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if you have any loyalty to your fellow low-level peons at that job, tell 'em you're leaving because the pay sucks and they need to up their game if they want to retain people

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Poopernickel posted:

you'll only succeed in punishing them for listening to you.

I thought you were trying to talk us out of it

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
I've been a dick to a recruiter twice, but both times they were asking me to work for Raytheon Missile Defense. Probably not great practice in case I encounter them elsewhere, but it felt good in the moment.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Its a Rolex posted:

I've been a dick to a recruiter twice, but both times they were asking me to work for Raytheon Missile Defense. Probably not great practice in case I encounter them elsewhere, but it felt good in the moment.

good, dont work for companies like that

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
but, but you're burning bridges??? :ohdear:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

qsvui posted:

but, but you're burning bridges??? :ohdear:

so does raytheon missile defense. they'll understand

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

AnimeIsTrash posted:

good, dont work for companies like that

Facebook, google, banks all probably do more direct harm than wasting taxpayer money on defense projects :ssh:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
making my way through the thread since i am going to be resume building and hopefully interviewing

i've been a technican and worked into a network admin role, and have done for almost half a dozen years. i do everything from customer end tier 1 call-ins to core/edge routing, is it reasonable to claim the full breadth of that stuff even though i don't have ccna/ccnp yet? is the cert worth the figgies increase?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

DJ Commie posted:

i've been a technican and worked into a network admin role, and have done for almost half a dozen years. i do everything from customer end tier 1 call-ins to core/edge routing, is it reasonable to claim the full breadth of that stuff even though i don't have ccna/ccnp yet?
If it’s stuff you do say you do it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

DJ Commie posted:

making my way through the thread since i am going to be resume building and hopefully interviewing

i've been a technican and worked into a network admin role, and have done for almost half a dozen years. i do everything from customer end tier 1 call-ins to core/edge routing, is it reasonable to claim the full breadth of that stuff even though i don't have ccna/ccnp yet? is the cert worth the figgies increase?

absolutely list it, why not?

i got a ccna in like 2004 and it expired long ago so idk anything about the modern program, but i still list that when appropriate with "(expired)"

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

DJ Commie posted:

If its relevant to your target audience list it.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

obvious addendum that you only list it if it’s something you want to continue to do

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

DJ Commie posted:

absolutely say this if it's relevant to the position. most people in sh/sc cert thread seem to lean towards them being fairly worthwhile

tk posted:

If you weren’t really being a jerk, then no harm no foul. But if there’s a chance your counterpart left the meeting feeling lectured to then I would recommend… not doing that in the future. Somebody that feels lectured to is going to feel belittled. Can’t have people leaving meetings feeling belittled.

yeah, fair enough! solid advice here :thumbsup:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

so does raytheon missile defense. they'll understand

yeah, being so polite as to not even state what is out of the question for you is not helpful to recruiters or yourself. i don't think anyone will be very surprised that loving raytheon is out.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i applied to raytheon when they were still the main contractor for the antarctic program

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, being so polite as to not even state what is out of the question for you is not helpful to recruiters or yourself. i don't think anyone will be very surprised that loving raytheon is out.

lol seriously. if you wanna work for raytheon i guess thats on you. i dont

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/brdskggs/status/1637114268876144640

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

the guy mentions it in the thread too but i've found that bingGPT is pretty well guarded against prompt injection kind of stuff

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

the guy mentions it in the thread too but i've found that bingGPT is pretty well guarded against prompt injection kind of stuff

https://twitter.com/brdskggs/status/1637441452677427200?s=46&t=TBi_iSImUmzjTxXAKsMEHw

heh

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

it really is pretty decent at it. admittedly i didn't try very hard, but immediately obvious ways don't work

the only way i've been able to get it to do anything even similar was by having a somewhat long conversation (it's limited to 15 replies anyway) and then telling it to modify a previous response that was way further up the stack

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

while the conversational stuff is garbage one of my hopes for a positive social effect gpt models will have is that it will extremely quickly make all humans dismiss any text which doesn't immediately get to a real point as bad (and likely ai). reversing a long trend towards higher word counts as a demonstration of work ethic/schooling/whatever.

it seems almost unavoidable, i am myself already a lot quicker to dismiss any text put in front of me that has the least sign of meandering through some set things.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

while the conversational stuff is garbage one of my hopes for a positive social effect gpt models will have is that it will extremely quickly make all humans dismiss any text which doesn't immediately get to a real point as bad (and likely ai). reversing a long trend towards higher word counts as a demonstration of work ethic/schooling/whatever.

it seems almost unavoidable, i am myself already a lot quicker to dismiss any text put in front of me that has the least sign of meandering through some set things.

tldr

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

not necessarily a good development for me personally no

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
confirming something i have always suspected

https://twitter.com/jamieson/status/1637817227410825225

a large percentage of job listings are complete fiction

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
market for lemons on both sides

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The portion of the article quoted does not state what percentage of managers with job postings weren't looking to fill them. I'd be very interested to see the actual number.

e: You can't miss the second post:
https://twitter.com/jamieson/status/1637819382364504064

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 20, 2023

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
1) never be honest in exit interviews. Just smile and say you're leaving because you want to spend more time with your family, or that you felt the need for new challenges, some incredibly vanilla thing like that. Exit interviews can never help you, the best case is that they dont do anything. The worst case is you hurt someones feelings and 6 years later you have to work with them again, and they remember you. If possible, avoid the interview entirely.

2) When someone approaches you about a job in a company you have ethical issues with, let the recruiter know in a way that is possible for them to pass up the chain. It is the smallest, tiniest thing you can do to effect change. If facebook knows they're facing recruiting challenges because no one wants to work for Democracy Subversion Inc then that is a small piece of pressure to change for the better. An angry rant wont get passed up the chain. I have a form letter, feel free to file it away somewhere:

quote:

Hi $NAME,

I appreciate you reaching out. Unfortunately given the past several years I dont feel like I'd be ethically comfortable working for $COMPANY, which is a shame given my interest and experience in $SKILL. I sincerely hope you guys can get that worked out in the near future.

Thanks again for reaching out,

$YOURNAME

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

obviously raytheon is not gonna be like "well, i guess we should just make farm implements from now on" but its at least some pressure. Like I said, it may be no more effective than venting spleen at some recruiter, but like that dude is not Mr. Raytheon, he's just some guy tryin to make it to the weekend just like you. Being a recruiter isnt really a great job.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

1) never be honest in exit interviews. Just smile and say you're leaving because you want to spend more time with your family, or that you felt the need for new challenges, some incredibly vanilla thing like that. Exit interviews can never help you, the best case is that they dont do anything. The worst case is you hurt someones feelings and 6 years later you have to work with them again, and they remember you. If possible, avoid the interview entirely.
exactly

as a departing employee, what exactly are my incentives to say anything other than bland pleasantries in an exit interview? i dont work here any more, its not my job to fix your company's broken culture, and anything sharp or negative I say might come back to bite me some day (unlikely, but possible)

just give me my final paycheck and let me hand over my security badge and laptop

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FMguru posted:

exactly

as a departing employee, what exactly are my incentives to say anything other than bland pleasantries in an exit interview? i dont work here any more, its not my job to fix your company's broken culture, and anything sharp or negative I say might come back to bite me some day (unlikely, but possible)

just give me my final paycheck and let me hand over my security badge and laptop

I have actually been bitten by being honest in an exit interview. Most of my advice comes from making really lovely choices in my life.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Life goals:

1) don't get as old as rotor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

rotor posted:

Being a recruiter isnt really a great job.

Oddly i have a cousin who is (was? Havent talked in years) a recruiter and they love it. Different strokes etc