Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
they were all told to recruit a recruiter and the smelled the blood and started acting accordingly

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
imo anything that "makes its money off ads" is not a real company. I can't elaborate what I mean by that beyond what I've already said.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

affordable access to recruiters

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

fits my needs posted:

The latest round is expected to impact Amazon’s cloud computing, advertising, human resources and Twitch units.

drat, twitch?

Twitch shouldn't have ever found success as a business, but did so by seizing a niche of siphoning excess funds from the wallets of bored and horny tech workers

If silicon valley is in recession, twitch revenues are probably in freefall. I would expect the platform to shutter entirely in the event of a real recession

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Jel Shaker posted:

read the prospectus? no, fuxk you

Reading is for nerds.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Mirthless posted:

Twitch shouldn't have ever found success as a business, but did so by seizing a niche of siphoning excess funds from the wallets of bored and horny tech workers

If silicon valley is in recession, twitch revenues are probably in freefall. I would expect the platform to shutter entirely in the event of a real recession

this is a lot of hopium

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
call me when gacha revenues are down, that’s the leading indicator for horny tech nerds

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

imo anything that "makes its money off ads" is not a real company. I can't elaborate what I mean by that beyond what I've already said.

This was the lesson of the 2001 recession but lol :911: we forgot

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Twitch just lost their original CEO who has been with them since the JustinTV days in favor of the former VP now CEO who is in favor of paying streamers even less than what pittance they already get so this'll be fun lmao

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Rexicon1 posted:

My partner is a lawyer who is trying to get a high paying job and she’s had no less than four recruiters just disappear within a week of contacting them and getting pretty far. It’s loving wild how recruiters work and I’m starting to think they qualify for being lined up against the wall.

I'm sorry, man.

Legal headhunters are definitely all about finding "least work for the most pay," so if you stop seeming like an easy sell, they ghost you pretty quickly and aren't very transparent with you.

Hopefully your partner (and the rest of us) can keep our current jobs because legal recruiting still seems ridiculously snobby about people who got RIF'd even if everyone knows that the RIFs were part of macro-developments and not "merit" calls.

I'm not surprised if law firms are getting super cagey about hiring. Everyone still has bad memories of 2008-2010.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

maybe twitch can get some funding from credit pisse

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

wynott dunn posted:

call me when gacha revenues are down, that’s the leading indicator for horny tech nerds

Can we index the rate of SSS ranked Big Titty Wife Pulls per capita as a new leading indicator of recession?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Did law firms ever hire back up after 2008? It seems like there is still a lot of talent out there.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I used a recruiter once and he was like "this place drug tests so if you don't think you'll pass let me know and we'll find you a place that doesn't test lol"

Yudo
May 15, 2003

spacemang_spliff posted:

I used a recruiter once and he was like "this place drug tests so if you don't think you'll pass let me know and we'll find you a place that doesn't test lol"

I'm convinced the only reason I haven't gotten the sack is because the company that hired me spent a ton on a headhunter. I'm sunk cost incarnate.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

spacemang_spliff posted:

Never once met a recruiter who personally cared beyond encouraging me to cheat the result if i needed to

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm sorry, man.

Legal headhunters are definitely all about finding "least work for the most pay," so if you stop seeming like an easy sell, they ghost you pretty quickly and aren't very transparent with you.

Hopefully your partner (and the rest of us) can keep our current jobs because legal recruiting still seems ridiculously snobby about people who got RIF'd even if everyone knows that the RIFs were part of macro-developments and not "merit" calls.

I'm not surprised if law firms are getting super cagey about hiring. Everyone still has bad memories of 2008-2010.

She does in house data privacy stuff (GDPR, the new china thing etc) so thankfully she doesn’t have to be a dick sucking machine to get a job with a Firm. But it’s still frustrating because apparently there aren’t too many people who specialize in her field and there are tons of job listings but they just ghost so hard when she dares to get a high five figure salary. It’s so hosed up out there.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Yudo posted:

Did law firms ever hire back up after 2008? It seems like there is still a lot of talent out there.

From what I've seen, hiring has never been like what it was during the dot-com boom, but it had been picking up over the years as deal volume started climbing again. It was a very good market for associates looking to lateral during the "Great Resignation," but that has to have dried up by now.

That being said, I don't know how much that helped those unfortunate people who graduated between 2008-2012 or so. People lost offers after firms imploded. Less 2Ls got summer offers and less 2Ls were able to turn summer offers into permanent offers. Knock-on effects all around as your starting gig often defines the rest of your trajectory unless you network like hell and get a bit of luck.

There's a reason why the law school thread in BFC has "no jobs, die alone" catchphrase.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

twitch probably makes money just not enough money

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if they take away my monthly twitch prime sub imma go joker mode

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1637839729889628163?t=ebEKnaZ-b_KYmvGYJrifyw&s=19
That's our almost Labor Secretary! :abuela:

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

i'm permabanned from twitch for saying death to america so death to twitch

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Does anyone have the article from a few months ago about how the landlords are using AI tools to raise rents to the maximum possible?

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

From what I've seen, hiring has never been like what it was during the dot-com boom, but it had been picking up over the years as deal volume started climbing again. It was a very good market for associates looking to lateral during the "Great Resignation," but that has to have dried up by now.

That being said, I don't know how much that helped those unfortunate people who graduated between 2008-2012 or so. People lost offers after firms imploded. Less 2Ls got summer offers and less 2Ls were able to turn summer offers into permanent offers. Knock-on effects all around as your starting gig often defines the rest of your trajectory unless you network like hell and get a bit of luck.

There's a reason why the law school thread in BFC has "no jobs, die alone" catchphrase.

Thank you for the summary. It makes a lot of sense.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

hell be back when he runs out of mojo from being constantly made fun of

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FlapYoJacks posted:

Court today in 2.5 hours!

post the zoom link so that 40 goons can watch what happens

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think they genuinely don't know how to hire people anymore.

We are trying to fill a part-time administrative assistant role that pays out something like $23k annually, and the people in charge of the search say it's taking forever because the applicants aren't very qualified. I wonder why. We have a similar problem with full-time positions where no one sticks around for very long (because the pay is poo poo). This process basically continues until the position is filled by someone who's either so desperate for money or so capitalism-brained that they won't object to their own underpayment.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We are trying to fill a part-time administrative assistant role that pays out something like $23k annually, and the people in charge of the search say it's taking forever because the applicants aren't very qualified. I wonder why. We have a similar problem with full-time positions where no one sticks around for very long (because the pay is poo poo). This process basically continues until the position is filled by someone who's either so desperate for money or so capitalism-brained that they won't object to their own underpayment.

this is typical everywhere the desperate ones usually leave though even after awhile because the pay is just so garbage at least at my job. and yeah the other the ones that create delusions in their head that if they suck up enough they will be rewarded.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

As much as I want to see the hilarity of crazy landlady getting owned for cash, please do not dox yourself.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

It's a link per login, and it's not Zoom, unfortunately. :(

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm 38 and my first-ever salaried job starts april 3 with a state agency. It pays enough to survive and the job security is insane, BUT they won't respond to the leasing agent to confirm my employment so I may be living on the bus. at least I'm aware of the workload and pace expected of me lol

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ahartreports/status/1637839397688340480?s=20

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lol your landlord wants proof of employment ?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

euphronius posted:

last place I rented they wanted proof of after tax income 3X the rent lol.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Epstein thread briefly overlapping with this one:

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1637846601933660164

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

euphronius posted:

Yeah that's pretty common, though they're usually good with paystubs or offer letters

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
We are definitely not first on the docket today lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

First Republic Bank is at all-time lows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Bar Ran Dun posted:

last place I rented they wanted proof of after tax income 3X the rent lol.

lol i dont think ive ever actually made 3x my rent