Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Zuzie posted:

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1637605717401116673

Much like other games, these Blissey are EXP/Tera Shard pinatas.
sounds great, i'm sure some of my ~80 raid pokemon will be able to farm all varieties of tera shards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

pyrotek posted:

How did people ever complete a Pokedex back then?

me and every other 9yo I knew were all playing the games so you just had to meet up after school or at Taco Bell or whatever, it was honestly easier

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Zaroff posted:

Isn’t Gen 3 going to need you to go through the GameCube games multiple times (completing the 100-streak Battle Tower each time) in order to get things like the Gen 2 starters and legendaries?

You can get female versions of everything in Colosseum at least, never played Gale of Darkness. I remember just going through the game once to get every Pokemon, and could breed the evolutions/original forms.

Unless their definition of "living Dex" means something else.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

me and every other 9yo I knew were all playing the games so you just had to meet up after school or at Taco Bell or whatever, it was honestly easier

That makes sense, I was thinking of a living dex for some reason, which would be much harder, especially before breeding in gen 2.

And I guess you could get a lot of the more difficult ones to get from Pokemon Stadium, too.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Generation 3 was definitely the most hellish generation to complete the Pokédex legitimately, between there being no transfers from past games and there being no GTS, online trading, or online events. If you want a legitimate Ho-oh and Lugia, you need to finish XD and bust your rear end in a massive endgame challenge in Coliseum. Counting those two, it takes a minimum of 6 different games (Sapphire/Ruby/Leaf Green/Fire Red/XD/Coliseum) across two consoles to complete. It's a massive solo undertaking.

If they count, the mythicals were worst of all, as there were four of them and online distribution events didn't exist yet. I'm not even sure a legitimate English language Celebi event happened at all. I lucked out when I went in person to get an event Mew, since another person there kindly traded me a shady Deoxys and Celebi so I could finally be done.

Pokémon Sapphire was a dumb choice of game for me to be a completionist with, but I had a good time anyway that's just how much I love Pokémon. (Or at least, how much I used to before Scarlet/Violet squashed my delight for the series.)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Aw really? ScarVio has reinvigorated my love for the series, that makes me sad to hear.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Same. I know different strokes for different folks, but after Gens 6 and 7 basically killed my interest in the series, SV was what I needed to come back.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I've shared some of my thoughts on it here before, but it feels like something incredibly important is missing with S/V for me. Part of it is that Legends Arceus did a similar concept far better just a little earlier that same year, and part of it is that the game is so undercooked and buggy that it barely feels functional. Almost none of the new things it tries are executed satisfyingly to my tastes, and most of the formula that used to delight me just feels unrewarding and empty here. I really do wish I could enjoy it, but there is almost no joy to be found in it for me. :shrug:

There's no sign that any fixes are coming, and I doubt the DLC will remedy my issues with S/V, so I'm mostly just sitting out S/V and wondering if Pokémon's future will be any better than this. Legends Arceus proved there's still promise and potential innovation in the series, but will a game like it happen again? I'll have to see.

Kaliedoscope
Dec 8, 2013

Forsythia posted:

I've shared some of my thoughts on it here before, but it feels like something incredibly important is missing with S/V for me. Part of it is that Legends Arceus did a similar concept far better just a little earlier that same year, and part of it is that the game is so undercooked and buggy that it barely feels functional. Almost none of the new things it tries are executed satisfyingly to my tastes, and most of the formula that used to delight me just feels unrewarding and empty here. I really do wish I could enjoy it, but there is almost no joy to be found in it for me. :shrug:

There's no sign that any fixes are coming, and I doubt the DLC will remedy my issues with S/V, so I'm mostly just sitting out S/V and wondering if Pokémon's future will be any better than this. Legends Arceus proved there's still promise and potential innovation in the series, but will a game like it happen again? I'll have to see.

If it helps, I do think that eventually, given time, more of the mechanics that were in Legends Arceus will be integrated into future games. That much I believe is certain.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I think its pretty normal to fall in and out of love with the individual entries of a sprawling video game franchise. I know Im like that with Pokemon. I actually avoided Gen 3 until 2011 and I still haven't beaten Pokemon Emerald...🥶

The part that adds a layer of kinda emotional heartache is that your playable bros keep transfering up as more entries are made and more time passes. Not much you can do there! Nintendo will keep making Pokemon Generations until they are no longer able to, so they always keep you half invested.

Ive come to the realization that maybe its important to keep a team of 6 behind in each game, since the transfer is one way only. Previously, for many years, Id just dump the entire collection upwards until the cart itself was unplayable. This was one factor that caused me to sell off my collection. Sucks.

On the plus side, I planned ahead this time, and got together a team of iconic Galar Pokemons who are staying behind in Shield so Gen 8 will be more or less about as playable as it always was.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I miss the lil animations for some of the attacks. Like when cinderace would do his lil kick the rock for pyro ball or the bow and arrow Decidueye would do for Spirit Shackle

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I’m sure there will be a bunch of mons I won’t transfer over from Shield if they’re Gigantimax forms or just duplicates. But usually if I want to play an older game in the series I start fresh anyway.

My poor totem Araquanid will forever be trapped in Ultra Moon though. He was a main party member too. :(

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
ok, so in Shield, I got a stash of Wishing Pieces, an autofire turbo controller and unbeatable bros. wheres a good place to camp out and hands off spam single player raids while the controller mashes A Button for me?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Kaliedoscope posted:

If it helps, I do think that eventually, given time, more of the mechanics that were in Legends Arceus will be integrated into future games. That much I believe is certain.

I feel like they want to keep "main line" games feeling the way they do, and while they could bring more Arceus-style gameplay in (like the dodging and catching-without-battling), they most likely don't want to. Personally I really like Arceus but I will be happy as long as they release more Legends games in future.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

wizard2 posted:

I think its pretty normal to fall in and out of love with the individual entries of a sprawling video game franchise. I know Im like that with Pokemon.

Not me. If I really like a game or a series, I can be contented staying with it indefinitely. I consistently enjoyed core Pokémon games, flaws and all, for over two decades until S/V finally broke that streak.

Speaking on the changes in Legends Arceus... IMO, the best part from Legends Arceus that could be safely translated over into future core Pokémon games without compromising the traditional formula is offering more mobility tools and making out of combat movement and exploration feel fluid and exciting. It was something I never had considered for the series before Legends Arceus tried it, but it makes the Pokémon world feel so much more immersive and enjoyable. S/V kinda went there... It's got the big map filled with secrets and treasures and sprinting, gliding, climbing, and swimming to explore and exploit it with, and it did make the smart move of condensing all the vehicles into a single one that's context-sensitive, but it lacks oomph and isn't satisfying. I can't quite a place a finger on why that is, but the bike dragon definitely feels more sluggish, more limited, and less powerful than the likes of Basculegion and Braviary.

I can understand if the series doesn't want to do big open maps with a full suite of exploration tools with every core entry going forward, but just even vehicles that operate similarly to Wyrdeer would be a delightful new standard.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The game itself just feels more sluggish overall (even in menus) which drags the whole experience. I can't help but feel like they would have been better off segmenting the world like Arceus, even if the chunks were bigger than Arceus'.

It doesn't ruin it but I'm just... Conscious of how clunky the game runs pretty much constantly

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hey that's totally fair Forsythia, and I really hope they bring out another game soon that works for you again. I mean, PLA was so successful that I *really* hope they do another one. Maybe Unova based, I would love that.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I hope more side games go the route of taking a grab bag of extant starters and giving them a regional form, i thought that was cool

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I think scavio has a nearly perfect blend of "classic" mechanics and PLA-type innovations. I'd like them to include the ability to throw a ball at a Pokémon without going into a battle, but if the catch fails a regular battle starts. and definitely leave that trash battle system in Arceus

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I got burnout in BW2, and that lased til SV. Which is a shame because ORAS and SuMo are games that I would have liked to like but they didn't do enough to bring it back for me at the time. Maybe I'll replay them someday.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Terapagos would've been a much better 1000th Pokémon than the loving ugly rear end sub-Olympic-mascot Gholdengo

I named mine DiamondHandz lol

(e: after Jimi Jewels, of course)

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

I hope u get your groove back soon enough with some good rear end Pokemon games to be revealed in the near future :cheers::cheers::cheers:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Happy March 20th, Pokemon Thread! Spring has sprung! That means Home support is sometime in the next 93 more days, surely any day now! so near I can taste it :rubshands:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

HopperUK posted:

Hey that's totally fair Forsythia, and I really hope they bring out another game soon that works for you again. I mean, PLA was so successful that I *really* hope they do another one. Maybe Unova based, I would love that.

I really like PLA but the Arcanine fight was not fun.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

I really like PLA but the Arcanine fight was not fun.

omg no I tried a lot of times and ended up just using the 'continue from where you were with full health please' option. I didn't find any other fight in the game as hard as that. Stupid firedog.

e: I don't mean to be rude to arcanine. I love all pokemon.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the Arceus fight was the one that really stunk imo

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i found a shiny mudbray

not necessarily one i super wanted but hey, first shiny since i found a shiny blitzle wayyy back like 2 days after black and white came out and one of only 4 i've ever gotten in the main-series games. hope i can find a shiny mareep someday...

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i found a shiny mudbray

not necessarily one i super wanted but hey, first shiny since i found a shiny blitzle wayyy back like 2 days after black and white came out and one of only 4 i've ever gotten in the main-series games. hope i can find a shiny mareep someday...

Heeeeeey! Nice! Not a spectacular shiny but not a bad one either IMO. Are you going to evolve it?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

since it's a shiny, it's basically required for it to become part of my primary (single-player) line-up, so yeah it's getting evolved.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

HopperUK posted:

omg no I tried a lot of times and ended up just using the 'continue from where you were with full health please' option. I didn't find any other fight in the game as hard as that. Stupid firedog.

e: I don't mean to be rude to arcanine. I love all pokemon.

Honestly all of the fights could have used some work tbh. It was a bit jarring going from mostly chill exploration to Dark Souls for kids

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

since it's a shiny, it's basically required for it to become part of my primary (single-player) line-up, so yeah it's getting evolved.

This is how I ended up trying to fit grumpig into my Scarlet team! Silly little bastard. I had to bounce armarouge.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I have a maxxed out Mudsdale, it rules. Enjoy! It is worth it! Ground Type is my second fav elemental in this game and Groudon is my second fav Legendary.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Lewchube/status/1637910771756572673

Did Ohmori have an old doggo friend too?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Arven looks very slender in that art. in the game he sorta fills out his uniform more

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
The boss battles in Arceus were good, and a big part of what made it stand out and feel different to other pokemon games

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I'll say this again, but its extremely surreal for a a Pokemon game to explain I-frames to the player.

As for the Arcanine fight, it becomes far easier when you realize that charging your throw will make anything fly further, so you can safely hit Arcanine from further away in the last part of its bossfight.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

wizard2 posted:

I have a maxxed out Mudsdale, it rules. Enjoy! It is worth it! Ground Type is my second fav elemental in this game and Groudon is my second fav Legendary.

Mudbray was the first shiny I stumbled upon in S/V without openly hunting for it, and I gained a very healthy appreciation for Mudsdale I didn't have in previous gens. It rapidly became my favorite ground type in the game. Just big heavy horse with super good coverage.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Mudbray was the first shiny I stumbled upon in S/V without openly hunting for it, and I gained a very healthy appreciation for Mudsdale I didn't have in previous gens. It rapidly became my favorite ground type in the game. Just big heavy horse with super good coverage.

Mudsdale (Clodsdale) is extremely good. Heavy Slam on one of the heaviest Pokémon in the game, High Horsepower and an ability that boosts its defence every time it gets hit. I trained one up in Violet because I found one with a Steel tera-type. STAB Heavy Slam!

I really wanna be able to ride my horse Pokémon.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Around what levels should I bring into the Violet Elite Four if I want a reasonable challenge, but am also a newbie to the series?

After curbstomping the first couple gyms I've been handicapping myself with a rules set:

1) Leaving my team around 2-4 levels below whatever some guides have said is the lowest level 'mon in the gym / team / titan, while doing my best to avoid spoilers

2) Using all 'mons of the same type as the gym/team, with allowances for dual-types, plus one that has the gym's Tera Type, the way the gym leaders do

3) Forbidding myself the use of consumables other than heals/revives

That's led to some good fights, reasonably challenging for someone who is still getting taken off-guard by the (I assume) very basic stuff the gyms throw at you, like a weird off-type move that puts me on my back foot and swings the momentum of the fight in the enemy's favor. I'm kind of inclined to abandon Rule 2 and just assemble a team of my very favorite dogs pokemon and use the same team for every fight, but I'm concerned about possibly overleveling that team and being unstoppable by the end.

Any thoughts on how to give myself a good experience with the Elite 4 and the final confrontation with what I assume will be Nemona?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Arceus had great catching mechanics and I hope some of that translates to future mainline titles. It actually made catching fun and gave you more ways to respond to failed catches rather than just being forced to continually fish for the RNG to align right. Easily one of the best parts of the game and pretty much where the core effort was put in.

That being said the battle system yeah, was rough. It's serviceable in Arceus but doesn't hold up to a lot of scrutiny, which is probably why there were so few trainer battles in the game.

Also while the catching mechanics were fantastic, I really hope the gameplay loop is significantly better. I understood what they were going for, but filling out a checklist isn't that engaging, and some of the requirements are stupidly grindy. Move requirements are just the worst part as well.