Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

You can capture them. Catch the King ones if possible - they apply 4 debuffs to the entire enemy side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ytlaya posted:

Is it worth trying to steal/capture/collect from the rare octopus mobs (and can you even)? I've found that I can one-shot them with M-quality Soulstones and they give a lot of XP/JP, but I noticed that Ochette had a 0% chance to capture (which I think implies it's possible to do so).

Not worth going for Steal/Collect. As far as Capture, Octopuffs aren't really worth it unless you just want to go for the debuff strats. The Caits are better but they're also luck-based effects.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

To capture them, do you just need to use a low-quality soulstone and hope they don't flee before you can attenpt the capture?

I think the things I killed were actually Caits.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

The ones you would want to catch can withstand multiple L sized stones.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Question about Agneas finale boss

What's her gimmick, I one shot her without her getting a turn and I'm pretty underleveled lol

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Question about Agneas finale boss

What's her gimmick, I one shot her without her getting a turn and I'm pretty underleveled lol

Phase 1 she removes a character from the match, Phase 2 she charms a character and they fight for her

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Natural 20 posted:

Phase 1 she removes a character from the match, Phase 2 she charms a character and they fight for her

That's awesome, I missed out.

Unrelated but drat, I'm still thinking about the regular boss theme. It's so gooood.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm still kind of bummed at the bosses who get a cool unique battle theme as they hit phase 2 mid-battle, and then die after one hit because they'd eaten at least three servings of Aeber's Reckoning/Cosmic Roar during the preceding break phase. At least Song of Hope slapped and maybe the others will appear on YouTube a couple years from now.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Mega64 posted:

A bit smaller than the last batch I made, but they should still make for good avatars for anyone that wants them.

e: Replaced with 180x180 models. I resized to 150% in Nearest Neighbor and then cropped off some extra pixels. Still look good to me!

Also if you have any requests, I can try to make it work. Enemy animations are probably simple enough, character sprite animations might take a bit more work due to how the game stores character sprites but I can see what I can do.

If nobody else is taking him I'd like Osvald if possible.

Ytlaya posted:

To capture them, do you just need to use a low-quality soulstone and hope they don't flee before you can attenpt the capture?

I think the things I killed were actually Caits.

Just use weaker soulstones or characters you know won't oneshot them yeah; the moment they hit the red you'll have a 100% capture chance which is pretty good.
I always personally had pretty good success with octopuff debuffs, they're pretty useful and it's easy to just extend them into infinity.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Okay good, I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who thought that was funny.

I just started the final chapter and this game feels like it has a lot more heart than the first game did. I know it’s beating a dead horse but the first game felt so disjointed and hollow. Meanwhile, all of my new friends just had a little camping cook out and it was awesome. There was just nothing like that in the first game.

I made it to the ending chapter as well and have different thoughts (haven't beat the game fully yet).

While I think the team did a good job of filling in some of the hollowness of the first title, it still needs some work to make the game feel whole. Each character story is still very standalone with no interaction from your party concerning something happening right in front of them. You don't even have 3 of the party members sticking around saying nothing--they just disappear from existence until they're ready for some banter or battle. There was a line or two that made me think, "this shouldn't be a revelation! You were there! You asked to join my journey! You hit the creature they're talking about for 45,025 HP!"

Both the main story and final chapter do a decent job of showing the game was building to something, but there's still (ending chapter spoilers) a ton of telling, not showing. This whole chapter so far has been textboxes and flashbacks to things that happened off screen, developing our villains in the same frustrating way the first game did. Managing a way to integrate more of the villain's motivations--even if the party isn't privy to these revelations--would do wonders for the very short time we spend learning about them. I loved the camping part, but it also felt slightly out of place to suddenly acknowledge that we have eight party members that have ostensibly been traveling together for a while gathered in one place without fanfare, reasoning, or anything like it before. Nothing larger than groups of two, ignoring the party banter.

It comes off to me as something bolted onto the end of the game similarly to the first one, but at least there's actual content here.

I recognize the structure of the game--having the freedom to recruit characters whenever you want and playing the chapters in whatever order you want--means sacrificing inter-party dynamics. Still, I long for party interactions that are actually woven into the story, instead of relegated to abstracted party banter and short, standalone, paired chapters. What I'm asking for is something beyond cute skits that are vaguely related to an ongoing narrative.

I really like this game, but it feels like "We developed another Octopath, then added some stuff on top of it based on feedback from the first title" rather than "We have developed a second Octopath game based on your feedback." Like the the ending chapter and cross paths chapters could be DLC.

...is that how the mobile title works?

Prowler fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 20, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I love the silly Sealticge's combos. Throne can mass-Steal, Osvald can mass-Teach, etc.

The most busted combo of course is with Castti's second EX skill.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm still kind of bummed at the bosses who get a cool unique battle theme as they hit phase 2 mid-battle, and then die after one hit because they'd eaten at least three servings of Aeber's Reckoning/Cosmic Roar during the preceding break phase. At least Song of Hope slapped and maybe the others will appear on YouTube a couple years from now.

Yeah, I feel like I'm missing a decent part of the ost because of that.

Surprised it's been nine days and Song of Hope is still up on YouTube, but certainly not complaining.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

The most busted combo of course is with Castti's second EX skill.

I still can't believe all of the buffs it could potentially provide. I just know the super boss wipes status effects or inverses them or something.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I don't think I've fought any enemies who can inverse your buffs but I have to assume I steamrolled anyone who could.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Prowler posted:

I made it to the ending chapter as well and have different thoughts (haven't beat the game fully yet).

While I think the team did a good job of filling in some of the hollowness of the first title, it still needs some work to make the game feel whole. Each character story is still very standalone with no interaction from your party concerning something happening right in front of them. You don't even have 3 of the party members sticking around saying nothing--they just disappear from existence until they're ready for some banter or battle. There was a line or two that made me think, "this shouldn't be a revelation! You were there! You asked to join my journey! You hit the creature they're talking about for 45,025 HP!"

Both the main story and final chapter do a decent job of showing the game was building to something, but there's still (ending chapter spoilers) a ton of telling, not showing. This whole chapter so far has been textboxes and flashbacks to things that happened off screen, developing our villains in the same frustrating way the first game did. Managing a way to integrate more of the villain's motivations--even if the party isn't privy to these revelations--would do wonders for the very short time we spend learning about them. I loved the camping part, but it also felt slightly out of place to suddenly acknowledge that we have eight party members that have ostensibly been traveling together for a while gathered in one place without fanfare, reasoning, or anything like it before. Nothing larger than groups of two, ignoring the party banter.

It comes off to me as something bolted onto the end of the game similarly to the first one, but at least there's actual content here.

I recognize the structure of the game--having the freedom to recruit characters whenever you want and playing the chapters in whatever order you want--means sacrificing inter-party dynamics. Still, I long for party interactions that are actually woven into the story, instead of relegated to abstracted party banter and short, standalone, paired chapters. What I'm asking for is something beyond cute skits that are vaguely related to an ongoing narrative.

I really like this game, but it feels like "We developed another Octopath, then added some stuff on top of it based on feedback from the first title" rather than "We have developed a second Octopath game based on your feedback." Like the the ending chapter and cross paths chapters could be DLC.

...is that how the mobile title works?

What exactly would you want them to do for the next game? This is such a quality jump that it’s hard for me to not give this post a little side eye. The intraparty conversations and cross path chapters were a decent compromise. The only other thing based on your post, that they could do is have a bunch of triggers for possible included characters, which would be profoundly time inefficient for the end result. What you’d get in practice would be a lot of “Yeah! Let’s do that!” and “No milord, I have doubts,” and on and on. It would both be transparent as a mechanic and obnoxious once you’ve got all eight characters.

The only way to appease people who want intraparty dialogue, as I see it, is to add a lot more cross path quests. But that’s probably even more work than the wedging dialogue into every possible permutation of a chapter. More satisfying, too, obviously.

I think as long as we get an Octopath III we’ll be in good shape.

Something I’d considered also is what if you went down to four characters with eight or even sixteen jobs, as well as path actions attached to those jobs. They’d have to do something with the name of the game, but at least you’d get a manageable party size to work with and could do a more traditional story. But at this point, the anthology style of Octopath helps distinguish it from its peers, imho.

As it stands, this is a game that succeeds because it knows what it is, knows what it can reasonably get away with, and knows how its ancestors succeeded and failed. In other words, straight craft top to bottom.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Something like that.

It's known that there's a hidden multiplier based on your character's current level that also affects all calculations, probably to give leveling some purpose and make your underleveled achievements that much more amazing.

Well bummer. It’s a fair compromise considering the structure of the game, but I admit to being a wee bit bummed this is the case. I figure smart play can get you through it, but it’s such a blunt method.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 20, 2023

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Final chapter could have used more dialogue from party members than just your MC, but that was one of the only things in OT2 I'd consider a flaw.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think there's a bit of a disconnect where, for story purposes, the party simply does not exist for most chapters. Like, for example, in Agnea's second chapter, she spends a couple nights livening up the New Delstra slums, and then goes to confront a dude who, for gameplay purposes, is an RPG boss at the end of a dungeon and an appropriate challenge for a party of four, but in the following dialogue everyone gets mad at Agnea for running off alone and putting herself in danger.

Like, it doesn't bother me because I'd already signed up for this, and I ended up just treating it as an absurdist joke that the other seven travelers just get folded into the pocket dimension for however many weeks each of Partitio's business ventures take and don't mind, but the disconnect is very clearly there and it seems absurd to me to fault people for noticing.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I think the game is great for what it is. The eight characters/eight stories is the games central premise. It seems that wanting more interconnectivity just inevitably leads to a traditional single narrative rpg. Where do you draw the line? The characters and vignettes of octopath 2 own and the battle system rules, so I wouldn't mind having a more traditional style rpg narrative with the same mechanics but it wouldn't really be an octopath traveler game. Could work for a spin off tho.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Finished up Throne’s story last night. Couple thoughts:

Whooo boy I’m retroactively glad that they never really had any implied romantic feelings between Throne and Pirro.

And is it just me, or did pretty much everything about Claude just feel like a series of drama bombs that needed more setup to give them some actual weight? “Hey Throne, so I’m your dad, I’m basically a vampire, literally everyone you’ve ever known is a half-sibling of yours through me…” Like, the whole thing with the kid who was a dead ringer for Pirro made me think that Pirro would have a posthumously-revealed real family that was mightily pissed at Throne for killing one of their sons and would spring their revenge on her just as she was set to escape the Blacksnakes.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think there's a bit of a disconnect where, for story purposes, the party simply does not exist for most chapters. Like, for example, in Agnea's second chapter, she spends a couple nights livening up the New Delstra slums, and then goes to confront a dude who, for gameplay purposes, is an RPG boss at the end of a dungeon and an appropriate challenge for a party of four, but in the following dialogue everyone gets mad at Agnea for running off alone and putting herself in danger.

Like, it doesn't bother me because I'd already signed up for this, and I ended up just treating it as an absurdist joke that the other seven travelers just get folded into the pocket dimension for however many weeks each of Partitio's business ventures take and don't mind, but the disconnect is very clearly there and it seems absurd to me to fault people for noticing.

Oh no fault is intended. Just it’s a knotty problem with few readily apparent solutions that don’t involve a shitload more work. At the budget these games are getting—well spent and prioritized imho—I’m just wondering what cost efficient means there really is to address the legit concern. i land in the camp that it’s best to accept the constraints of the game as it is. But obviously I’d like more interactions too. The writing is really excellent. More of it would be welcome.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

He fits the mold from the previous game as a bad guy who shows up out of nowhere. Pretty much everyone else's antagonist is introduced early or set up in advance.

EDIT: Last time I played Chrono Cross a talking dog with a lisp jabbered on about time paradoxes. I think Octo 2's separate but connected formula is as good as it needs to be.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 20, 2023

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Holy poo poo Castti's Drastic Treatment is broken if you set it up right. I did 31k damage on Harvey in one hit.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The best I've managed so far is a Throne hitting for 55k but I think you can go a lot higher since all I did was set up Aeber's Reckoning properly.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

BurningBeard posted:

This is such a quality jump that it’s hard for me to not give this post a little side eye. *snip*

----

Well bummer. It’s a fair compromise considering the structure of the game, but I admit to being a wee bit bummed this is the case. I figure smart play can get you through it, but it’s such a blunt method.

Strange to side eye my thoughts, given I recognize a lot of the limitations of the structure of the game and applaud the improvements throughout my post

There are literally dozens of ways to go about it that I didn't want to lengthen my post for. Sacrifice some of the freedom for "checkpoints" where the crossed paths are part of their main story. Structure things so that you start out on one continent and cannot travel to the other one until you get to everyone's chapter1 on that content, which ensures you have at least a certain group with you. So the four-person party can interact and get to know each other on-screen. Make crossover chapters that include more than just two party members. Make more crossover chapters. Allow the crossover chapters to fill in the narrative gaps between the individual chapters (there are a few yada yada'd "3 weeks later" intervals between chapters, for example).

These are just small things off of the top of my head just to list a few, not trying to start a debate about specifically would be feasible of what I've listed based on budget and etc. I'm just expressing my thoughts on how the structure still feels really disjointed in a way that can be improved upon without sacrificing what people seem to like about the game. Reminder that this is also in light of my thoughts about the final chapter.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

He fits the mold from the previous game as a bad guy who shows up out of nowhere. Pretty much everyone else's antagonist is introduced early or set up in advance.

This bugged me (ending chapter spoiler) because you learn about him through flashbacks and text dumps. Definitely would have felt a bit less abrupt if they incorporated into the story somehow. Too many things happen *just off screen* sometimes..

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Natural 20 posted:

The best I've managed so far is a Throne hitting for 55k but I think you can go a lot higher since all I did was set up Aeber's Reckoning properly.

I've got it to hit for 99k a couple times just with Swift Step/Armor Corrosive and a P. Atk. buff from somewhere.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BurningBeard posted:

The only way to appease people who want intraparty dialogue, as I see it, is to add a lot more cross path quests. But that’s probably even more work than the wedging dialogue into every possible permutation of a chapter. More satisfying, too, obviously.

Yeah, those opinions are a bit confusing to me. The game would have to tell completely different stories to integrate party dualogue into them. The stories revolve around the personal "quest" of one of the characters, who usually have their own side casts. I've never found myself thinking "man, I wish the other characters were here during this." Most of the quests are deeply personal things for the character in question, so it just doesn't make sense for, say, Ochette to be getting involved with Osvald's story.

The only clear improvement I can think of is that I'd like more Travel Banter after/during characters' chapters. I really like those, and it's a bummer that I usually only run into one (and two if I'm lucky) during/after any given chapter.

Prowler posted:

There are literally dozens of ways to go about it that I didn't want to lengthen my post for. Sacrifice some of the freedom for "checkpoints" where the crossed paths are part of their main story. Structure things so that you start out on one continent and cannot travel to the other one until you get to everyone's chapter1 on that content, which ensures you have at least a certain group with you. So the four-person party can interact and get to know each other on-screen. Make crossover chapters that include more than just two party members. Make more crossover chapters. Allow the crossover chapters to fill in the narrative gaps between the individual chapters (there are a few yada yada'd "3 weeks later" intervals between chapters, for example).

This would feel even more disjointed in practice, unless you completely changed the actual character stories themselves. The general conceit of the game is that you're just freely traveling around the world and the characters are taking care of their goals along the way. If you instead mandated a certain "path" in order to guarantee the presence of certain party members, the disconnected nature of their individual stories would feel really weird/bad.

This just seems like the sort of thing that sounds good if you don't think about it too hard, but definitely wouldn't actually work if you attempted to put it into practice. What the game attempts to do (allowing character commentary between/after individual story events) is basically the most you can reasonably do while still preserving the sorts of stories it's aiming for.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 20, 2023

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Prowler posted:

Strange to side eye my thoughts, given I recognize a lot of the limitations of the structure of the game and applaud the improvements throughout my post

These are just small things off of the top of my head just to list a few, not trying to start a debate about specifically would be feasible of what I've listed based on budget and etc. I'm just expressing my thoughts on how the structure still feels really disjointed in a way that can be improved upon without sacrificing what people seem to like about the game. Reminder that this is also in light of my thoughts about the final chapter.

This bugged me (ending chapter spoiler) because you learn about him through flashbacks and text dumps. Definitely would have felt a bit less abrupt if they incorporated into the story somehow. Too many things happen *just off screen* sometimes..

Yeah I’m with you in spirit if not in practice. Not trying to be aggro def wanted to hear your thoughts. I’m sure there’s an elegant solution in there somewhere that doesn’t break the bank. If any team could do it it’s these guys. As I said, it’s the pinnacle of well-utilized small budget.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I think it's awesome how the characters compliment each other in combat. And of course I'll the different voiced battle lines dependant on subjob. Love how Southern preachery Partitio gets when you make him a cleric lol. A lot of work went into this game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hikari confessing to Agnea "your dances make me feel hot" justifies their Crossed Paths to me. also funny how all the women are madly in love with Throne and the way she smells. I appreciate this cast being hornier than the previous game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That one scene with Ochette and Hikari where she says he has two smells and one of them is dank and foul and I'm like "is this a fart joke?" because I hadn't gotten far enough in Hikari story to know exactly what she meant lol and the scene just ends

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DLC Inc posted:

Hikari confessing to Agnea "your dances make me feel hot" justifies their Crossed Paths to me. also funny how all the women are madly in love with Throne and the way she smells. I appreciate this cast being hornier than the previous game.

Have you seen how insanely huge they made Theoné’s tits in the art? No wonder everyone is horny for her.

Edit: I like her weakness for cute and fluffy things, plus the dog that won’t leave her alone. I like the contrast with her femme fatale archetype. Throné rules. I’m glad I picked her as my main.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 20, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Throne does look weird in her key art. She's like Slenderman with tits.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ran into the Dreadwolf and whew, that fight is spicy.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

One of my favorite little lines is when someone else does the Apothecary heal Castti will give a little zingy "You've got healing hands! :D" and it's really cute.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'll look into making more av's this weekend maybe, no guarantees though.

I did treat myself though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
SCENE: Queen Agnea is being advised by Temenos on the state of her kingdom in wartime

:catholic: Your majesty, the people tire of watching their cities burn!
:j: Then let them watch plays!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I know Triangle Strategy isn't the same studio despite being under the same graphical umbrella, but how is it now that its half price? Is it grindy? Tons of missables? Unbalanced like DOS2? Too long to start?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't know what you're expecting, but it is not that.

Triangle Strategy with a very linear (but branching) storyline. There's not really any grinding or missable content to speak of, other than obviously missing what happens on Route A or C if you've gone with Route B.

It's a strategy RPG and it is good. It's quite story-heavy, and the story is front-loaded, so there will be a lot of plot in the beginning, but it evens out a little once you get into it.

GrimSqueaker
Sep 26, 2011

Mega64 posted:

I'll look into making more av's this weekend maybe, no guarantees though.

I did treat myself though.

Could you see if there are any funny cait sprites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was very confused that Triangle Strategy was not a Fire Emblem ripoff

Edit: it has got to be one of the worst games names ever