Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I imagine outhouse protocol is different in places where the ground freezes solid for six months of the year vs. places where it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I imagine outhouse protocol is different in places where the ground freezes solid for six months of the year vs. places where it doesn't.

Ah, the mud season

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
So in Finland does the idiom of a brick shithouse just mean "perfectly average quality construction"?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

The main thing is to empty or level it out before freezing temps. Using a crowbar to break up the Great Pyramid of Poofu with icy shards of poo flying everywhere is not something I want to ever do again.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

So in Finland does the idiom of a brick shithouse just mean "perfectly average quality construction"?

Brickwork doesn't really breathe.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The main thing is to empty or level it out before freezing temps. Using a crowbar to break up the Great Pyramid of Poofu with icy shards of poo flying everywhere is not something I want to ever do again.

If only there was some way to leave it be and move the outhouse instead...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

If only there was some way to leave it be and move the outhouse instead...

Then you'd have an exposed cone of poo.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
my dog would take care of that in no time

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Then you'd have an exposed cone of poo.

Dirt from the new hole needs to go somewhere.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I poo poo at work and hold it over the weekend on principle.

Leperflesh posted:

Also for people who choose to dwell in the middle of nowhere vs people who don't have a choice, single family outhouse vs shitshack behind a forest ranger station, etc.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 17, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I poo poo in a big bed with my wife.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I poo poo in a big bed with my wife.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No no she has more hair. I have no idea whose wife that is.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ruflux posted:

The outhouse at my grandparents' summer cottage had a whole bucket-shaped tub with drainage holes poked at the bottom and emptying it was simply a process of digging a hole somewhere in the nearby woods, emptying the tub there and covering the hole up. Incredibly environmentally friendly, in other words. It wasn't as horrible as it sounds since using the outhouse also involved throwing in some drying agent made up of organic material of some sort so it was mostly dried out mush of somewhat composted excrement and toilet paper but still.

It filled up too fast and was disgusting to deal with so eventually we built a new outhouse of the composting type so the end result is just earth you can throw in some much smaller hole in the woods. Technology saves the day once again.

In the army the latrine cleaning duty is known as Atomic Patrol (because you get to wear your gas mask).

Anyway there's probably sensible reasons for why things are done differently in different countries. Here it's loving impossible to dig a new hole half of the year because ground is frozen. Or if it's not frozen then it's probably too rocky or full of tree roots to be worthwhile. The old timers actually built their outhouses close to the waterfront, at least in Savo region where there's lots of lakes and thus many houses are by waterways. When the lake flooded in spring, it would flush the poo. Pretty nifty, except because people also ate fish from their home lakes it allowed tapeworms to thrive in the area until government required people to poo poo further from water. loving commie fascists.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I hate it when contractors cut corners like that.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

This pin has seen better days.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

plus once poop hole gets sun it will grow a forest of corn

XD

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

I'm surprised the hammer drill didn't bust off the corner when drilled that close to the edge.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kid sinister posted:

I'm surprised the hammer drill didn't bust off the corner when drilled that close to the edge.

It did, you can see they replaced the whole corner of that brick with mortar.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No, just that moving the outhouse every time it gets full is loving stupid and was never done in civilized cultures.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jerry’s posting is all in good fun.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Gddamn, goons just love arguing against people who know better than them.

His name is Megadoodoo, people, I think he knows how outhouses work.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Finnish Outdoor Plumbing Authority (FOPA)

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

You don't need to move the outhouse if you don't build the outhouse.

May I present the Auspol classic: THE GRID

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Wow, I hate this.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Easy to clean, though

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

PainterofCrap posted:

Easy to clean, though

Dunno, seems too shallow to contain piss splashes?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Jerry’s posting is all in good fun.

Oh I was wondering what I got got for (I never look at the leper's colony to see what I was dinged for, that would be stupid and counterproductive).

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh I was wondering what I got got for (I never look at the leper's colony to see what I was dinged for, that would be stupid and counterproductive).

I prefer to be face to face with my opponent

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Jusupov posted:

I prefer to be face to face with my opponent

This is a team sport

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

If it's this or the vessel style, I take this every time

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Ya'll getting too fancy with these outhouses. This is really all you need, and it'll even accommodate 2 people.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Ya'll getting too fancy with these outhouses. This is really all you need, and it'll even accommodate 2 people.

I prefer mine with a view:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
yall got water proof toilet paper or do you use a rag on a stick

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Hell, that one even has a glory hole!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

moist turtleneck posted:

yall got water proof toilet paper or do you use a rag on a stick

You carry the Sears Roebuck catalog with you for yer readin’ and yer wipin’

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
oh nevermind I just saw the pinecones

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I believe this is what the Boy Scouts call "pilot-to-bombardier" configuration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

Freaquency posted:

I prefer mine with a view:

There is at least one trail system in Jasper national park in Canada where the campground toilets are just rows of seats about 3 feet apart over very large buckets (that I assume they fly out).

No walls or anything resembling privacy or shelter from the elements, but beautiful views of storms blowing in over the Rocky Mountains while you poop.