Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MrMojok posted:

This is absolutely horrific. The animal grunts Brett is making. He is so paralyzed by fear he’s immobile, able to make only these primitive sounds, possibly about to hyperventilate.

I really love it, I know we were saying that some later stuff mentions the tail being an actual stinger that paralyzes people but I really buy Harry Dean-Stanton's performance here of just being completely loving horrified beyond human comprehension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
:kstare:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
harry dean stanton owned

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

harry dean stanton owned
Yes, yes he did. There's more than one movie I've watched just because he was in it.

The casting in Alien is so good. There are no "movie stars"; they're all great character actors with years of stage and screen experience, the one exception being Weaver who at that point was a practically unknown up-and-comer. (I didn't know until this week that she was considered for the female lead in The Black Hole, which was made contemporaneously - her career would have turned out very differently if Disney's head of casting hadn't taken a dislike to her first name and rejected her out of hand. There's a parallel universe where Susan Weaver makes extra bucks at sci-fi conventions signing autographs next to the Vincent prop.)

I made an online poll asking people to guess how far into the movie the chestburster scene took place: almost two-thirds thought it was way earlier than the actual halfway mark.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I always thought this was interesting for what it shows creating/laying the egg. It does kind of seem to have some antecedent in Prometheus and Covenant.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Stanton/Bill Paxton killed by Xenomorphs combo is what got me to watch Big Love way back when.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I always thought this was interesting for what it shows creating/laying the egg. It does kind of seem to have some antecedent in Prometheus and Covenant.

They were still firmly in “cocoon someone to morph them into an egg” at this phase.

One of the original ideas when the pyramid/temple and the derelict were separate was that the xenomorphs were native to the planet (this was all in O’Bannon’s drafts if I remember correctly). They were a sophisticated race with language and a society who created the pyramid. The species evolved in symbiosis with a type of space cow that was also native to the planet - the xenos still had the same reproductive cycle of needing to be grown inside of a host. Unfortunately for them, some kind of planetary cataclysm wrecked the planet and killed off all the space cows. After the adults all died off, all that remained were a few of their religious temples with dormant eggs. The alien that is spawned in the film was literally a feral child operating on pure instinct without any adults to guide them.

I’m pretty sure this was all from before Giger was involved, but there is some Chris Foss (I think?) preproduction art for all this. The mural was originally supposed to be something the xenos created that was on the wall of their temple.

After they combined the temple & derelict the mural seems to have changed to be from the pilot’s species perspective. The mural was actually supposed to have been on the walls of the egg chamber (you can faintly see it below those openings on the wall):

Alien had a very messy writing process with a lot of competing ideas and what we ultimately got was not the vision of a single creator. People credit Dan O’Bannon for it which is fair but there are elements of the final movie he detested. If you haven’t read about the making of the movie I highly recommend it, so you too can wonder what the world would be like if the movie ended up with the ghost of Genghis Kahn in it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SMERSH Mouth posted:

What's interesting is that despite the (blatant) yonic imagery, the egg is descending from the creatures navel.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

SUNKOS posted:

Okay here's the validation you crave for your petty, inane, white noise forums drama bullshit that adds literally nothing to the thread aside from garbage that everyone has to scroll past. Yes, we all see you've got a stick up your rear end and are trying to stir up poo poo with Xeno for whatever reason but you can give it a break now.

Speak for yourself I find the arguments interesting and increase my appreciation of the films. We're all adults here, not babies - just ignore and scroll past whichever things you don't want to engage with, it's easy!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
dick miller should have met the xenomorph

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Timby posted:

This is all I can think of looking at that bottom-right image:

this MF hooked me up with a bootleg wraithguard when I accidentally killed vivec

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

An ancient civilization expressing itself in three-panel cartoons was definitely the wrong choice here.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Name Change posted:

An ancient civilization expressing itself in three-panel cartoons was definitely the wrong choice here.
Still, better than loss.xno.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Xenomrph posted:

Good question, there is a discord for the RPG though, I’ll noodle around and see if anyone has recommendations.

The plan was that they’d be separate, unrelated things some distance from each other. Although you’re right that the Derelict’s “hold” (if that’s what it is) seems to extend well beyond the underside of the ship itself.

I‘ve read interpretations about the idea of perhaps “impossible” geometry within the ship to play into the Lovecraftian themes. It’s a neat idea but I’m not married to it.

The pyramid (I think?) was going to have hieroglyphs depicting the (bipedal) Space Jockey’s fate step-by-step. The artwork is neat but it’s super-on-the-nose and spells out exactly what’s going to happen to Kane before it does, lessening the impact. I much prefer the movie’s subtle, indirect storytelling.

The problem is that when you compare the base of the ship where they enter to how far Kane is lowered down, the only explanation is that either the hold is underground compared to the base of the ship, or the characters walked way up an incline to get to the Jockey before Kane dropped down (entirely possible and we just don’t see it, although Alien Isolation chooses not to do this).

Or its, like, bigger on the inside than on the outside. :v:

That's a cool picture. I think if they put it in the movie it might not be as On The Nose as we think nowadays, in the era before screenshots and stuff. Catching a glimpse of this obscured by smog and darkness vs seeing a hi-res screenshot might make it a clever thing for people to notice vs very obvious foreshadowing.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Mr. Grapes! posted:

That's a cool picture. I think if they put it in the movie it might not be as On The Nose as we think nowadays, in the era before screenshots and stuff. Catching a glimpse of this obscured by smog and darkness vs seeing a hi-res screenshot might make it a clever thing for people to notice vs very obvious foreshadowing.

It would likely have been about as visible as the murals depicting the black goo in Prometheus, which we only see for half a second.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

There is a very nice documentary on Shudder called “Memory: The Origins of Alien” that is really good.

Like I suspect many of you have done, I’ve read probably the majority of stuff posted on the internet and in books about the genesis of this film. I have the Alien Anthology and Blu and have watched all the “making of” type stuff on there.

But this documentary manages to do another “making of” type of doc and still hits some interesting, new notes.

It’s well worth a watch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blood Boils posted:

Speak for yourself I find the arguments interesting and increase my appreciation of the films. We're all adults here, not babies - just ignore and scroll past whichever things you don't want to engage with, it's easy!

How can you scroll past anything when that’s what the whole page is.

If you gained anything from what is a humanoid is it an amputee or a dog then lord have mercy

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
*glowing with an incredible power* wgat if the amputee was a xenomorph

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Blood Boils posted:

If there was any interesting arguments being made in the last few pages it sure as gently caress wasnt anything Ruddiger contributed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

In AvP 99 if you shoot the aliens legs off they still come at you and don’t stop. It was scary as hell.

AvP 99 was the best

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

If you gained anything from what is a humanoid is it an amputee or a dog then lord have mercy

In that case, you just click "next page," like I do whenever the chat starts talking about plastic toys again.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Personally I think it's amazing content when SMG posts an insightful and interesting analysis in the most infuriating way possible, and someone else gets so angry at it they invertedly go completely off the rails and prove them right.

I only check in this thread every 3-400 unread posts to catch this cycle play out though, I recommend that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bugblatter posted:

In that case, you just click "next page," like I do whenever the chat starts talking about plastic toys again.

The page was still going when I was reading that nonsense

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The black goo is primordial chaos that the engineers quite foolishly bottled for their own purposes, such as planetary bioweapon strikes and ritual sacrifices. God help anyone who finds the actual black goo planet, a liquid void inimical to Creation itself.

That's my pitch, I'll gladly accept residuals for it after the film is released.

As for a definitive answer as to why the engineer wants to destroy all humans: Have you met these self-absorbed, emotionally crippled spacemen who have destroyed their planets' resources and environments? Genitalia demons that hate all life are the best poetic response for them.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Name Change posted:

The black goo is primordial chaos that the engineers quite foolishly bottled for their own purposes, such as planetary bioweapon strikes and ritual sacrifices. God help anyone who finds the actual black goo planet, a liquid void inimical to Creation itself.

That's my pitch, I'll gladly accept residuals for it after the film is released.

As for a definitive answer as to why the engineer wants to destroy all humans: Have you met these self-absorbed, emotionally crippled spacemen who have destroyed their planets' resources and environments? Genitalia demons that hate all life are the best poetic response for them.

This is more or pess how I viewed it and absolutely do not understand the 'they were spookier when they were space wasps!' position. Every question Prometheus 'answers' just raises several more questions and makes the origins of the Alien even more strange and foreboding than it already was

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Alchenar posted:

Personally I think it's amazing content when SMG posts an insightful and interesting analysis in the most infuriating way possible, and someone else gets so angry at it they invertedly go completely off the rails and prove them right.

I only check in this thread every 3-400 unread posts to catch this cycle play out though, I recommend that.

Yeah it’s only ever interesting when SMG and/or Ferrinus are posting, otherwise it’s just interminable toy and board game chat. I did have some fun just now going back to a random page and reading discussion of Covenant right after it came out, lots of fun stuff and the person who has a meltdown and calls everyone stupid for liking covenant/Prometheus is much more annoying and unpleasant than xenomrph has ever been

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I guess my dumb problem with all that is it’s usually people who don’t follow the same wave length not even giving each other an inch. That’s one of the biggest issues with more of the headier discussions on this forum. Neither party can find a common ground to talk to each other and so we end up with semantics battle

I don’t know. I guess there’s an audience for everything. I just find that stuff more off putting because it feels like just baiting people to fight for no real reason

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Quit posting about posters. Some meta chat on what this thread is for is fine, personally I like all the stupid poo poo that makes up the alien verse so i dont mind toy/game/other non film chat taking up parts of this thread. I also enjoy smg and ferrinus making posts about the movies. I'm sure these topics can coexist lol

As for the probes, I put those in a day or two before they got approved and in the interim Xenomrph tried to clarify/apologize for that crappy comment so I'd like to ask we move on from that uhhh awful post.

Ngl tho this

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Got me good.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

In AvP 99 if you shoot the aliens legs off they still come at you and don’t stop. It was scary as hell.

AvP 99 was the best

In AVP2 you could claw at a corpse until it exploded, it was psychological warfare in multiplayer.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah exactly. I don't even mind toy chat, occasionally I read game chat when it interests me, and I love movie chat. Thread delivers imo

banned from Starbucks posted:

If there was any interesting arguments being made in the last few pages it sure as gently caress wasnt anything Ruddiger contributed.

So put your posting enemies on ignore lol jfc

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I think my biggest problem with Covenant is that we move more away from the crazy alien goo and engineers and pull back to space wasps. Having double David is good but thats not enough for me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Darko posted:

I think my biggest problem with Covenant is that we move more away from the crazy alien goo and engineers and pull back to space wasps. Having double David is good but thats not enough for me.

I agree with this even as someone that likes Covenant a lot, it opens things up a lot in a ways that maybe shouldn't have been done if a follow up movie wasn't already in the bag greenlighted.

Like a tighter movie focusing more on double David (not enough for me either I agree shoulda been quadrule David mininum) or more on the crew figuring out the planet's unusual biology situation might have been a safer (?) bet. But generally speaking I'm happy with what we got even though it does completely fall apart at the end IMO. Like the main climax where they're on the cargo ship with the crane and stuff was honestly pretty cool and looked really nice on the big screen. The second set of killings and real final battle did nothing for me. The very end reveal from David was of course great though.

Still get annoyed they made that awesome set of the goo-bombed engineers in the courtyard but we don't get to see a little more of it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 20, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

CelticPredator posted:

AvP 99 was the best

i have put hundreds fo hours into this game and still cant beat the bonus maps lol

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Name Change posted:

I got the sense that it's through the recombination of the azoth with humans that you run the risk of getting REALLY bad pulls off the primordial gacha, so the Engineer response was one of fear as well as disgust.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Blood Boils posted:

Dude didn't even answer the question (about the mural), to make declarative statements about what constitutes a humanoid is asinine when the entire thesis of Giger's work is the blending of humanoid features with decidedly non-human objects. The drat mural is literally bordered by a figure giving birth to the images it embraces. "Buildings and spaceships aren't humanoid" is ignoring the fact that Giger has literally built model ships and buildings out of plaster casts shaped out of human bones and skulls. Are bullets humanoid? Ask any guy on the street and they would say of course not, ask that question to Giger, he gives you this

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 20, 2023

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Gauging interest here. I’ve been thinking about hosting an AvP 2 multiplayer night. If you don’t have the game I could provide it… perfectly legally. I should still have both install discs in storage. Yay or Nay?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
AvP2 night would be fun. Haven’t played it in so long. Hell of a lot more fresh than continuing that whack rear end argument

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I think it's kind of funny that through a series of contextual changes and overall cultural drift, the Lovecraftian read on the Alien and the presumably uncaring universe that created it is seen as comforting and signifying potential and wonder, while the (ambiguously sincere) Biblical imagery that Ridley Scott likes to play with, with the Alien as sort of the ultimate slave / leper and the Engineer as something like a man, is upsetting "forbidden knowledge" that threatens the viewer with irreversible contamination just by knowing about it.

Even the talking point about them being "just wasps" is kind of perfect -- when Ichneumon wasps were (re-)discovered in the 19th century, a number of naturalists had a sort of crisis of faith because their life cycle was so utterly horrifying they couldn't imagine them being the creation of a loving God. (Ichneumon wasps not only parasitize their hosts like the Alien, but in some cases exert a sort of neurochemical mind control that makes the victim protect their young right up to the point where the young eat them.)

So you have this sort of existentialist reversal where the scary wasp stands for the reassuring(!) notion that above is not as below, if God exists at all he is assuredly not a man, and so on -- and then Ridley Scott, joker that he is, comes in and makes a movie about how Jesus and Moses are more horrifying than Cthulhu.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I view the crude oil like alien goo as basically being crude oil: there are lots of different kinds of crude oil and they're useful for a vast array of different things, but unless you actually have the fundamental understanding and technology to analyse and refine it then its all just sticky black stuff that catches fire to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I badly miss AvP2 multiplayer.