Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

EasyEW posted:

It's A Sketchy Life for March 17, 1927! A few days late, we get to the St. Patrick's Day number, with a cover that I have absolutely no regrets in skipping over for posting purposes.

Jesus H. Christ. :stare:

Transmodiar posted:

Unrelated, I think I'm done with Solver. No offense to The_Other, but Allison has been spinning his wheels for a long time and these last few issues are supremely underwhelming.

Fair enough. I agree with you that these stories are meandering, although I think part of that is due to the fact that we are reading these stories a rate of three pages a week. When read all at once I find them better reading. We only have nine more pages in this issue (although that works out to three weeks) and after that Allison is putting Lottie and Solver on the back burner for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EasyEW posted:

So anyway, first things first, Mr. Crosby's back in the office. Or maybe they they found a leftover when cleaning out the files

I've seen this gag in comics so many times that it made me think to go look up how fast mimeographing actually was and how it worked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYjj62eGwc8

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I have run a mimeograph machine. :smith:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

PainterofCrap posted:

I have run a mimeograph machine. :smith:

So you've probably seen that name before.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 16, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Who are they paying for these wrecked boats under the sea?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Finding plot holes in a strip that had Bob E Zocks in is no accomplishment.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat June 11, 1916

Little Nemo November 5, 1905

I'm starting to think he's never going to get to Slumberland.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Slylock Fox

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 29, 1956)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buggi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/19/03

Brenda Starr 8/14-16/50

Smokey Stover 8/2/53

Everyday Movies 3/25/36

"The time? Yes, ma'am, it's exactly five minutes past 12. I tell by the number of people coming out of the elevators."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 2/10-12/41

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

oh come on

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Solution -- Cassandra Cat should ask Slylock if he's interested in her roleplaying ahead of time so things don't become awkward for Max.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (April 25, 1935)

Peanuts (March 22, 1976)

Miss Peach (September 4, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (October 19, 1939)

Out Our Way (May 8-10, 1941)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
All those children just wandering around town with their rifles.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Poil posted:

Don't dox me. :smith:
We've all been there :smith:

B. Virtanen

And that's the entire album! I didn't comment on the strip much this time around, but overall I really loathe this comic. I can appreciate the consistency of the art but beyond that, it's just so relentlessly mean that it's hard to enjoy it. Although even then a lot of the jokes just aren't very... good. Obviously standards for newspaper strips are somewhat low and one must understand that Heilä has needed to come up with new strips constantly for a long time now, but still, e.g. the pattern of "Virtanen experiences something good in panel 1, by panel 3 we see why it's actually not good" isn't very interesting at the best of times.

Anyway, thanks for following this with me! I'll proceed to delete the files off my hard drive.

Fingerpori

Kaava = pattern (for sewing)
Kaava = zoning plan
(Kaava = formula)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Thanks for posting it, Virtanen was an interesting hate read. The best part of it is my head canon where he leaves job and family to do literally anything else and to be alone and enjoy eating a good meal for himself. Maybe become a park ranger and live in one of those wilderness observation platforms. Or a trucker

Wondering why I read it if I hate it I also wonder how many people and how long have they read the strip waiting for Virt to finally win.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 20, 2023

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Murdstone posted:

You got the same Sunday Curtis twice.

Samovar posted:

Is.. there a reason for having posted Curtis twice?

Well then my comment about Christ being crucified makes no sense, there was a strip where Barry asked what day the last supper was on and Greg said "you never know what kids will ask!"

Anyway, comics kingdom is being poo poo again so no more Curtis for now

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Weirdest version of Stockholm Syndrome I've ever seen.

Hempuli posted:

And that's the entire album! I didn't comment on the strip much this time around, but overall I really loathe this comic. I can appreciate the consistency of the art but beyond that, it's just so relentlessly mean that it's hard to enjoy it. Although even then a lot of the jokes just aren't very... good. Obviously standards for newspaper strips are somewhat low and one must understand that Heilä has needed to come up with new strips constantly for a long time now, but still, e.g. the pattern of "Virtanen experiences something good in panel 1, by panel 3 we see why it's actually not good" isn't very interesting at the best of times.

Anyway, thanks for following this with me! I'll proceed to delete the files off my hard drive.
I kinda liked it actually. He's a sad sack who everyone shits on, which I understand some don't like (and even I probably wouldn't most of the time) but I think can be OK sometimes. Thanks for posting it!

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

I periodically get surprised by what they let in this strip. I don't think there's any other that has people straight up being killed on panel like this.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Called it. (Not that there were a lot of probable options.)

Murdstone posted:

I bet it's Mountain Murphy.
Andertoons

It's tough to change careers good luck my pirate friend.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manneken_Pis

Lots of good pics there of the little dude dressed up as Dracula, etc. Also

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanneke_Pis

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Called it. (Not that there were a lot of probable options.)

I hope Mud is the patient zero for a massive norovirus outbreak.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

I periodically get surprised by what they let in this strip. I don't think there's any other that has people straight up being killed on panel like this

Val raises an eyebrow.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Huxley posted:

A+J

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manneken_Pis

Lots of good pics there of the little dude dressed up as Dracula, etc. Also

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanneke_Pis

Dutch is such a weird god drat language.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Murdstone posted:

I periodically get surprised by what they let in this strip. I don't think there's any other that has people straight up being killed on panel like this.

Dick Tracy.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Stultus Maximus posted:

Val raises an eyebrow.

Thranguy posted:

Dick Tracy.
I don't know how much killing goes on in current DT but it was happening not too long ago I think that probably counts.

Modern Val did just have a pretty gruesome death my meteorite so yeah it still happens there too.

I guess there's more violent death than I thought in the comics.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

It's kinda jarring to me because I've grown up with a Phantom that did not kill. At most the villains would accidentally fell of a cliff or something.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

Alhazred posted:

It's kinda jarring to me because I've grown up with a Phantom that did not kill. At most the villains would accidentally fell of a cliff or something.

Technically, The Phantom doesn't seem to be the one doing the killing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hippocrass posted:

Technically, The Phantom doesn't seem to be the one doing the killing.

Yeah, people are just standing in front of his bullets.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

~Coxy posted:

Slylock Fox

Is that....

Oh my god it is. Great edit!

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hostile V posted:

Dutch is such a weird god drat language.

the best line in the article: "Due to its self-derisive nature, it is also an example of belgitude"